The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Adventures of Sarah Palin

Post Reply   Page 1 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 511 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: The Adventures of Sarah Palin
Posted: Fri 03 Jul , 2009 9:19 pm

WOW!!!!
Sarah Palin announed today that she will resign as Governor of Alaska effective July 26 of this year. Her term has another year and a half to run. She was considered as one of the leading Republican candidates for the Republican Party Presidential nomination in 2012.

As someone who has been addicted to national politics going back to John Kennedy, the only ways this makes sense is if a) there is some deeply personal event going on here in Palins life, b) she has simply had it with politics and is leaving for good ,or c) she is going to later announce that the current political system is broken and she intends to lead an independent effort to speak directly to the people with a new political party.

Otherwise, this looks very bad in quitting an elected office during her first term.

Last edited by sauronsfinger on Sun 22 Nov , 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin to quit as Alaska GOV.
Posted: Fri 03 Jul , 2009 10:52 pm
Best friends forever

d. there is going to be some horrible revelation of wrongdoing.
e. she's going to move to the lower 48, reside for whatever length of time is required, and run for a senate seat, then resign from that to run for POTUS.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Fri 03 Jul , 2009 11:02 pm
bioalchemist

Historically, people have better luck going from a governorship to the presidency rather than stopping in the Senate first. In fact, usually, the candidate who's an incumbent Senator ends up losing. This last round of elections was a bit odd in that regard, but, then again, it was Senator vs. Senator.

My guess is, she's stepping down before she's forced down and I'm expecting some sort of horrible revelation in the coming days. You don't just resign from a leadership position you were elected to. There's got to be more to this.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 03 Jul , 2009 11:24 pm
Daydream Believer

Putin made her an offer she couldn't refuse?

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sat 04 Jul , 2009 9:53 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

From an interview she did this week:

"You get bummed and burned out sometimes in running and in politics, but if you're in for the long haul and you're in it because you know that it is a good thing, then you get out there and you do it anyway."

Methinks her quitting is two-fold. Sometimes people quit before a presidential run (Mitt Romney), but I think this is money related. Governor is only USD 125k a year, She'll get much more on the speaking (snigger) circuit and there's a six-fugure book deal in the works.

Her defence on certain legal accusations have already cost more than USD 500k.

Oh I do hope she wins the nomination. It'll take the Republicans almost a generation to recover. In fact, she probably will. If Obamamania continues even at half-pace three years from now, you'll want a sacrificial goat as opposition.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 04 Jul , 2009 1:41 pm

David Frum has a thought provoking column on the subject
Quote:
David Frum: The disastrous Sarah Palin could have become a modern-day Goldwater

David Frum Sarah Palin said on Friday that her decision to resign as governor had been in the works "for a while" and "after much consideration." In that case, you might wonder why she had not bothered to write out a speech in advance.

Instead, the Alaska governor delivered a rambling, angry, and self-pitying statement praising people who do not give up - and then gave up.

Gov. Palin does not seem to intend to end her political career. She quoted Douglas MacArthur, she talked about working for change outside government. She may yet try a run for the presidency in 2012.

But if her political career is not quite ended, it now seems headed nowhere positive. Sarah Palin's approval ratings as governor of Alaska have plunged from over 80% to 55% over a little more than 18 months. Her departure at this time will raise un-erasable suspicions that she anticipated still deeper declines. Perhaps some scandal was hovering over the horizon. Perhaps she wished to clear her work schedule to cash in on the lecture and television circuit. Or perhaps she simply wished to be elsewhere when the bills arrived for her reckless management of her state's finances.

Whatever the motive for the departure, the fact of the departure will exact a terrible cost. Should she run for president, she will face the same question again and again: "What happens if the presidency turns out harder than you expect? Will you quit that job too?" If Margaret Thacher was the Iron Lady, Palin is the Plaster Lady: Under pressure, she has cracked and broken.

Many Republicans will be relieved by Palin's decision. As a candidate for vice president in 2008, Sarah Palin suffered what may be the fastest and steepest plunge in voter approval in the history of polling.

In the single month of September 2008, her net approval rating (positives minus negatives) dropped by a stunning 20 points. Women especially disliked her: By mid-October, 60% of women under 50 expressed a negative view of her. Negative views about Palin contaminated the whole McCain candidacy: By mid-October, 41% of voters viewed Sen. McCain as a man of "poor judgment" as opposed to only 29% who said so about Barack Obama.

And yet - bitter irony - Palin's self-immolation today may yet do the Republican party more harm than good.

Had Palin sought and won the Republican nomination in 2012, she would almost certainly have proceeded to a Goldwater-style debacle - and dragged Republican senators, governors and representatives down with her. That would have been a miserable result.

And yet it also would have been a clarifying one. Republicans would have got Palin and Palinism out of their systems in a sharp and painful lesson that would have opened the way to the kind of reconstruction that has occurred in, say, the United Kingdom.

The steady and diligent Mitt Romney now emerges as the far and away Republican front-runner. Romney used to be exactly the kind of presidential candidate the GOP needed: accomplished, intelligent, knowledgeable. But a Republican party that has not learned why Palin was a problem has pressed Romney into turning himself into a Palin replica. If Romney loses in 2012, the same pressures will be applied to his successor. Spared the misery of massive defeat, Republicans will also be denied the lessons of defeat - and the hope of a rapid recovery.

Sarah Palin's supporters are a large and important constituency within the Republican party and the conservative movement, a constituency indispensable to conservative success. But they are not a constituency sufficient for conservative success. There are just not enough of them. The Republican party has to reach further and grow bigger.

The one positive effect of a serious Palin presidential candidacy would have been to teach that lesson to the whole Republican party. Friday's abrupt dereliction of duty has deprived the GOP of even that benefit. Her resignation enables her supporters to continue living under an illusion - to the terrible and enduring cost of their party and their country.

(c)David Frum
Frum is a conservative. This on his history from Wikipedia
Quote:
He served as an editor on the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal from 1989 until 1992, and then as a columnist for Forbes magazine in 1992-94. From 1994 through 2000 he was a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Public Policy Research.
Following the election of George W. Bush in 2000, Frum was appointed to a position within the White House. Still a Canadian citizen, he was one of the few foreign nationals working within the Bush White House. (According to Frum, he was once briefly arrested by a White House security guard who didn't believe that a Canadian national could have a job working at the White House.[6]) He served as Special Assistant to the U.S. President for Economic Speechwriting from January 2001 to February 2002. He filed for naturalization and took the oath for citizenship on September 11, 2007. [7]
Frum strongly supported John Roberts, George W. Bush's nominee for Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court. However, like many conservatives, he opposed the nomination of Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court, on the grounds that she was insufficiently qualified for the post, as well as insufficiently conservative.
David Frum is now a resident fellow of the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think-tank, as well as the Fraser Institute, a Canadian based think tank that advocates free market policies. He is on the board of directors of the Republican Jewish Coalition.[8] On October 11, 2007, Frum announced on his blog that he was joining Rudolph Giuliani's presidential campaign as a senior foreign policy adviser.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sat 04 Jul , 2009 2:28 pm
Best friends forever

I listened to her speech and it was her usual nearly incomprehensible gibberish.

To quit in the middle of her term? Cheezy and cheap. She could have announced she wasn't running again and finished the job she took on, but she decided to abandon her obligations, abandon the duty she undertook.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sat 04 Jul , 2009 3:19 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Who? :scratch:

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Posted: Sat 04 Jul , 2009 7:32 pm

I always thought the talk of Palin in 2012 from both sides of politics was extremely premature. That election is a long way off in political time, and any number of up-and-coming Republicans are going to start drawing attention to themselves between now and then. And they won't be dragging the negatives of 2008 behind them, either.

If she did win the nomination, then she'd be the first VP candidate from an unsuccessful ticket to do so since FDR in 1932. And he had widely been seen as an asset to the defeated Democratic ticket (1924?) and still needed to rehabilitate himself through a successful Governorship.

I'm willing to put my neck out and predict that Palin will be old news by 2012.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 04 Jul , 2009 11:03 pm
Daydream Believer

If she can't handle the heat of a state with such a small population, and can't figure out how not to make herself a lame duck not even through her first term, how in the hell does she expect to run a country.

I guess running non-profit organization is out too.

I truly expect to see her start the 'Real' Republican party. Name it something like the you betcha party.

She has no hope in the GOP anyway, Wall Street isn't fond of her, and no one in the GOP can make it from the kiddies table if they don't have Wall Street backing.

I am actually waiting to see what the real reason she quit is.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 04 Jul , 2009 11:03 pm
Daydream Believer

Maybe David Letterman actually has more money than she does.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 4:25 am
You are hearing me talk

Sarah Palin strikes me as, above all else, a narcissist. And as much as she dumps on the media, I'd bet good money that part of her loved all the attention she got during the campaign. And then she went back to Alaska. To her petty family problems. To all the allegations of mismanagement and ethics violations. And maybe having seen the big city, the farm started to look a bit dull. She's probably killed her political career by doing this, but there's still a niche for her in the RR and I expect she'll find it.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 10:25 am

That is a great line about the kiddies table AA.

Palin issued a special July 4th announcement to Alaska.
Quote:
Happy 4th of July from Alaska!
Today at 4:55pm
On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you!
If it clears up the nagging questions from the Friday announcement please feel free to translate it for me. More self pity, more woe is me, more vague variations on a change is gonna come without the song or Sam Cooke.
=================================

Maurenn Dowd - in my opinion one of the best political writers in the business - has a tremendous column in todays NYTimes
Quote:
Sarah Palin showed on Friday that in one respect at least, she is qualified to be president.

Caribou Barbie is one nutty puppy.

Usually we don’t find that exquisite battiness in our leaders until they’ve been battered by sordid scandals like Watergate (Nixon), gnawing problems like Vietnam (L.B.J.), or scary threats like biological terrorism (Cheney).

When Lyndon Johnson was president, some of his staff began to think of him as “a sick man,” as Bill Moyers told Arthur Schlesinger Jr. Moyers and his fellow Johnson aide Dick Goodwin even began reading up on mental illness — Bill on manic depression and Dick on paranoia.

And so it was, Todd Purdum learned, as he traveled Alaska reporting on Palin for Vanity Fair, that the governor’s erratic and egoistic behavior has been a source of concern for people there.

“Several told me, independently of one another,” Purdum writes, “that they had consulted the definition of ‘narcissistic personality disorder’ in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders — ‘a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy’ — and thought it fit her perfectly.”

The White House can drive its inhabitants loopy. So at least Sarah Palin is ahead of the curve on that one.

As Alaskans settled in to enjoy holiday salmon bakes and the post-solstice thaw, their governor had a solipsistic meltdown so strange it made Sparky Sanford look like a model of stability.

On the shore of Lake Lucille, with wild fowl honking and the First Dude smiling, with Piper in the foreground and their Piper Cub in the background, the woman who took the Republican Party by storm only 10 months ago gave an incoherent, breathless and prickly stream of consciousness to a small group in her Wasilla yard. Gobsmacked Alaska politicians, Republican big shots, the national press, her brother, the D.C. lawyer who helped create her political action committee and yes, even Fox News, played catch-up.

What looked like a secret wedding turned out to be a public unraveling as the G.O.P. implosion continued: Sarah wanted everyone to know that she’s not having fun and people are being mean to her and she doesn’t feel like finishing her first term as governor.

She can hunt wolves from the air and field-dress a moose, but she fears being a lame duck? Some brickbats over her ethics and diva turns as John McCain’s running mate, and that dewy skin turns awfully thin.

Maybe there’s another red Naughty Monkey high heel to drop — there’s often a hidden twist in Sarah’s country-music melodramas. Or is this a reckless high-speed escape from small-pond Alaska, where her popularity is dropping, to the big time Below?

Even some conservative analysts admitted that the governor’s move seemed ga-ga before venturing the spin that Palin might be “crazy like a fox,” as Sarah’s original cheerleader, Bill Kristol, put it.

Maybe, Kristol mused, she could use the 18 months she would have spent finishing her term to write her book and study up on the issues for 2012.

Why not? Palin/Sanford in 2012, with the slogan: “Save time — we’re already in Crazy Town.”

Palin’s speech is classic casuistry.

After girlish burbling about how “progressing our state” and serving Alaska “is the greatest honor that I could imagine,” and raving about how much she loves her job, she abruptly announced that she was making the ultimate sacrifice: dumping the state on her lieutenant.

Why “milk it,” as she put it, when you can quit it? “Only dead fish go with the flow,” she said, while cold fish can blow out of town. Leaving Alaska in the lurch is best for Alaska. She can better “effect change” in government from outside government. She can fulfill her promise of “efficiencies and effectiveness” by deserting Juneau midway through her term — and taking her tanning bed with her.

“We need those who will respect our Constitution,” said Palin, who swore on the Bible to uphold the Constitution. She said she can’t fulfill that silly old oath of office in the usual way because she’s not “wired to operate under the same old politics as usual.”

Naturally, she dragged the troops in, saying that her trip to see wounded soldiers overseas “fortified” her decision to give up because “they don’t give up.”

She refuses to succumb to the “politics of personal destruction.” It’s no fun unless she’s the one aiming those poison darts, as she did when she accused Barack Obama of associating “with terrorists who targeted their own country.”

Sometimes, she explained, if you’re the star, you have to “call an audible and pass the ball” and leave at halftime, “so the team can win” somehow without you.

The maverick must run free when greener pastures beckon. The musher must jump out of the dogsled when warmer climes call. As Palin’s spokeswoman, Meg Stapleton, says, “The world is literally her oyster.”

But just remember, beloved Alaska, it’s all about you.
Now that is holiday fireworks!

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 10:55 am

Ara-anna wrote:
If she can't handle the heat of a state...
Alaska :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 2:59 pm
Triathlete

http://www.facebook.com/sarahpalin

This will give you nightmares - read the comments of half a million fans gushing their conviction that Sarah is the One.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 5:51 pm

"The function of the One is now to return to the Source allowing a temporary dissemination of the code I carry, reinserting the Prime Program. After which I will be required to select from the Senate twenty-three individuals — sixteen female, seven male - to rebuild this great country. Failure to comply with this process will result in a cataclysmic system crash killing everyone connected to the Republican Party which, coupled with the extermination of this great country, will ultimately result in the extinction of the entire human race.

I hereby resign my seat as Governor."

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 5:57 pm

I just watched her speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqC1afO3Uo4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9YQMbQMn0

I am no fan of hers but I found her speech clear and reasonable. When she's on comfortable ground, she's a fine enough speaker. And her reasons for quitting make perfect sense to me. In her position it strikes me as the right thing to do.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 6:28 pm
Best friends forever

yovargas wrote:
I just watched her speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqC1afO3Uo4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9YQMbQMn0

I am no fan of hers but I found her speech clear and reasonable. When she's on comfortable ground, she's a fine enough speaker. And her reasons for quitting make perfect sense to me. In her position it strikes me as the right thing to do.
Come on, yovargas. "In her position"? What position? Why is it the right thing to do?

You're no dummy. I'd like to hear from a guy I think of as smart.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 6:57 pm

She became, overnight, one of the most hated and reviled people in the country. This led to a level and persistence of attack from so many sides that she is no longer able to do her job. She has had to spend enormous amounts time and money defending herself and so can't spend the time accomplishing anything productive. So she's handing the job over to someone who can while she searches for a way to continue doing the work she wants to do.

Whether or not you like or believewith those statements, that's what she said, clearly and perfectly intelligibly. And given how intense the nation's anti-Palin response was, I find it extremely plausible that she is indeed no longer able to do her job which makes resigning a perfectly reasonable personal decision IMO.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 7:11 pm

If everything Yovargas said was true it is ample evidence that such a person should never select the rough and tumble profession of national politics. Its a bit like somebody proclaiming that they really enjoy playing football if only you could take out all that hard hitting. George Will, a rather conservative political observer, said this morning on ABC that he had both read the Palin statement and watched her statement on video and he had not the slightest idea why she was quitting.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 511 »
Jump to: