board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Adventures of Sarah Palin

Post Reply   Page 9 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 11 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Re: The Adventures of Sarah Palin
Posted: Mon 11 Jan , 2010 9:30 pm

I thought his deserved its own thread in Movies/Music but I will also post it here. Sarah Palin gets her own TV series with FOX.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... ss&emc=rss

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 11 Jan , 2010 10:32 pm
The best things in life are not things

I see they weren't kidding 'bout Palin/Beck 2012 then...you'll get them in 2010 and 2011 as well ;)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2010 12:41 am
Daydream Believer

I see Faux news hired another right wing opinion spewer forther appointed by God person to give their opinion on everything as a 'news' reporter.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2010 12:23 pm

The fact is that FOX news provides what some right wing conservatives and Republican stalwarts want more than anything and that is a protected environment where their beliefs are validated and supported. It provides a place for the Republicans where they and their views are unchallenged, where Roger Ailes takes the place of Big Momma and he provides a playground where those kiddies can play in peace and spout their vitriol and never be seriously challenged to prove their claims.

FOX claims to be "fair and balanced". In fact, that is what Palin herself said yesterday about the appeal of the network. She joins a cast of already far out right wingers and card carrying Republicans. Where is the balance? Who has FOX hired to balance the political scales against the likes of Sean Hannity, Bill O'Rielly, Glenn Beck, Mike Huckabee, Britt Hume, Ann Coulter and now Sarah Palin? FOX lies when they claim they have balance. They are tilted so far to the right that they would fall over if they had to walk upright.

This trend of only wanting to get news that agrees with your own preconceived bias is not new. The niche market idea has been around for at least a decade now. What is frightening is that there are people - people who claim they want to get all points of view - people who claim to be thinkers - people who think they are smart or intelligent - who have no interest in any real challenge to their beliefs and views.

We see this in the national news. We see this on the net in sites tailored to specific beliefs. We see this in message boards where people divide along ideological and partisan lines. Some people have such little confidence in their own abilities to defend their views that they prefer the protection of a Big Momma and strict rules to protect their feeble beliefs from serious challenge. They have learned that they will be challenged, they will be refuted, they will be out debated and they do not like that. So they find a playground where Big Momma rules and can protect them from the Bad Kids.

There is a message board called The Liberty Forest. It is for the followers of Ron Paul and the Libertarians. In their terms of service they make no apologies for the fact that if you upset their members with contrary views, you will be banned. The people who profess to love freedom and the right to expression do not support it on the site they control. They do not want contrary views. They do not want to hear different ideas. And most of all, they do not want to be seriously challenged by anyone who just will not take their crap and knows how to dish it right back.

And that is what FOX News is providing for Republicans and conservatives. It provides a playground where they can play in a protected environment where those mean old liberals are not around to tell them they are full of crap or they have not proved their case or their claims do not hold up to the facts. That is the playground they prefer. They like Roger Ailes being Big Momma and they like the protected environment offered by him. They have tried living in a more open environment but they did not like it there.... their feathers got ruffled... they got mussed and tussled .... their lies and their hypocrisies were exposed so they retreated to the apron strings of Big Momma in the person of Roger Ailes and FOX News.

Ailes is Chairman of FOX News and it brings in the most revenue for its corporate owner Rupert Murdoch. So Ailes has his own playground, he has the power and control to let only those who curry his favor play there on his equipment and he will protect them from the tough bad kids who would threaten their sanctuary.

Those who seek such sanctuary know that Ailes and FOX will provide the protection they crave. They can turn in to Bill O'Rielly and he always agrees with them. Glenn Beck never challenges their prejudices, their narrow mindedness, their outright bigotry and they find comfort in that. Sean Hannity waves the Republican banner like a high school cheerleader at a pep rally and they like that. Ann Coulter spews her vitriol and hatred toward Democrats and liberals and they take solace in the venom. And the whole time there is no real serious determined opposition to give them a does of reality. Big Momma -Roger Ailes is there to make sure that does not happen.

And when they do get a small controlled dose of opposition - Alan Colmes who used to be on FOX for example - it is always under the control of Big Momma who makes sure they do not go too far or get too challenging or get too serious with his protected conservatives. It is a rigged game much like professional wrestling. But many Republicans and conservatives have found comfort from Big Momma and that protected playground and that is where they will stay.

"Fair and balanced" is a bad joke on America.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2010 8:46 pm
Daydream Believer

I have to expect Matt Lauer is definately in the 'liberal' media because he actually pressed McCain on Palin, McCain did a nice tap dance around it all however.

I have found if a reporter asks a question that makes a Republican uneasy the reporter is then part of the liberal media.

Funny the number of 'liberal' labled people seems to be growing daily. I suspect if Ronnie was alive today he'd be pretty close to being a pinko commie sociolist liberal. I pretty sure Newt might be a liberal any day now.

in other words if you label everyone who doesn't lock step to a very narrow view, then you push more and more people out of your tent. Palin on Fox will do this in spades.

We have a local Oil and Gas company attorney running for the mayors office in my small town, he used to be a member of the GOP, he is no longer a member of the GOP, he has lost faith. This is an Attorney who works for the Oil and Gas industry.

Palin at Fox is going to be good for the re-election of Obama in 2012. She will scare enough moderate Americans out of the GOP. I am not sure they will run to the Dems or register Independent, I suspect Independent.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2010 9:00 pm
You are hearing me talk

It's also possible that Palin will leave the GOP herself and instead become the voice of the new Christian Tea Party. Or whatever they choose to call themselves. I'm pretty sure the logo would use a cross for the T, at least.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2010 10:08 pm
Daydream Believer

Probably be the best thing to happen to the GOP if she and her type left. Conservatives could get back to being fiscally conservative.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2010 11:07 pm
Insolent Pup

Let them enjoy their echo chamber. I am all for them cramming as many blowhards in as possible.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2010 1:40 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Hopefully the more crazies go to Fox News, the fewer crazies there will be elsewhere in the media.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2010 5:24 pm

An initial review of the FOX/Palin effort
Quote:
As Mascot and Martyr, Sarah Palin Debuts On Fox News
Posted by MICHAEL SCHERER Tuesday, January 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm

It's been said before, but let me say it again: Fox News creator Roger Ailes is a genius. His peers in the executive suites of rival networks, newspapers and media conglomerates still hire talent for their abilities. Ailes knows you can also hire talent for who they anger, who they unite and what they represent.

At the start of his show Tuesday night, Fox anchor Bill O'Reilly announced that Palin's new job at Fox News had already “thrown the left wing media into a conniption.” He played clips from his network's two competitors, MSNBC (“How can she be a pundit? She doesn't know anything!” asks Chris Matthews) and CNN (“One more ignorant right winger at Fox News,” says Paul Begala). O'Reilly then offered his studied bafflement. “You are a politician, you are a mom, you are an American,” he said, turning to Palin at his table for the first time as a corporate peer. “What's the threat?”

Even before Palin answered, the genius of Ailes had crystallized on the screen. The set up was unmistakable. Ailes had not hired another talking head in Palin. He had hired a mascot for Fox News, a living breathing symbol of all that the network hopes to be: a place for the forgotten, besieged, suburban and rural American middle, long victimized, often dismissed, beset on all sides by elites and liberals, haters and foes. Palin took her cue perfectly. “They don't like the message,” she said. “They don't like the commonsense conservative solutions that I think I represent, and I articulate as I explain what I believe are some solutions to the great challenges facing America.”

[Before I continue, I must make a disclosure: I am not, as a member of the professional media, qualified to describe Sarah Palin's debut appearance as a Fox News analyst. As Fox pundit Monica Crowley explained on the network after the former Alaska governor left Tuesday night, Palin “was actually talking over the heads of the media to the American people.” This, explained Crowley, is Palin's great talent—a rare ability to connect directly with Americans through television. “Nixon did it,” Crowley added, driving home her point. Lacking access to Palin's most important frequencies, therefore, I must ask that you take this analysis for what it is—an incomplete rendering.]

The Palin that followed on Fox was the Palin that America has long come to know, at once skittish and confident, sing-songy in elocution, repetitive in substance and Palinesque in diction. (As H.L. Mencken once described Warren Harding's use of English, “It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it.”) Of Harry Reid's recently reported use of the word “negro,” Palin said, “His thinking and his articulating of that thought is quite perplexing, is quite unfortunate.” Of the Obama Administration's standoff with Iran, she said, “The time for talking—that's enough.” Of Alaska, Palin explained, “I come from a very diverse state.”

To quibble with any of these utterances, in form or substance, would be to simply help fulfill her Fox News destiny. She exists to enrage and rile those paid to pay attention to this stuff, a group who a great bulk of the American people long ago began to dislike for its phony self-importance and its monopoly on their attentions.

To further drive home this point, O'Reilly played for Palin some excerpts from last Sunday's 60 Minutes, where authors Mark Halperin of TIME and John Heilemann of New York debuted their most damning reporting of Palin's turn as a vice presidential candidate from their new book Game Change.

Palin denied one charge in the book, sort of confirmed another, and declined to engage a third. Her tack then became saucy. “The rest of America doesn't care about that kind of crap,” she said at one point. “It's a bunch of BS from Schmidt and his guys,” she said at another point, in reference to the 2008 McCain Campaign's top strategist, Steve Schmidt. Of Halperin and Heilemann, she said, “Who knows who these guys are? I don't know who these guys are.”

At this point, Palin's performance reached its crescendo, not as news analysis or reporting, but as a restatement of the very mission that has made Fox News so successful. “The American people are immediately neutralizing outlets like 60 Minutes,” Palin explained. “More and more Americans are looking at some of these networks, that biased journalism, and saying, ‘Nah, that gig is up. We're not believing that stuff anymore.' That's why they are tuning into Fox News.” She had become the message. Her mission was accomplished. Her future at Fox is bright.

In short, the Palin debut was a rousing success. She left the show after less than 20 minutes. Then O'Reilly brought on two attractive lady legal analysts to discuss the civil rights implications of public nudity, while the Fox News control room looped tapes of a naked hippie from Ashland, Oregon, first squatting by a waterfall and then bouncing her breasts before a video camera, then squatting by the waterfall, then bouncing her breasts, then squatting again.

It is Ailes' world, after all. We live in it.
I sure wish this writer reviewed films. ;)

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 03 Feb , 2010 1:56 pm

This is rich. Sarah Palin bragging on her facebook page about how her speaking at the Tea Party Convention is being done with no financial gain to herself.
Quote:
I will not benefit financially from speaking at this event. My only goal is to support the grassroots activists who are fighting for responsible, limited government — and our Constitution. In that spirit, any compensation for my appearance will go right back to the cause.
Question for the former beauty queen: then why charge the 100 thousand dollar fee in the first place?

In the same spirit - I never benefitted financially from all my years of work since I just spent the money anyways on my family.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 20 Feb , 2010 11:41 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

This is pinched from a post by Bombadillo on Manwe. Apparently Palin took umbrage at a reference to her on Family Guy by a character with Downs Syndrome.
The actress who has Downs Syndrome responds:
Quote:
My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in " Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/1 ... 68331.html

edit: and an interview with Andrea here:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... -of-humor/

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 24 Feb , 2010 7:20 pm
Best friends forever

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 24 Feb , 2010 7:32 pm
Daydream Believer

What Secret Life...Mommy Dearest exposed her and her pregnancy to the whole freakin world, the baby daddy just exposed himself and the whole lot of them think it's good family values. :nono:

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Wed 24 Feb , 2010 9:52 pm
The best things in life are not things

vison wrote:
Well, with her unfortunate name it's unlikely that a British network will buy the show! :D

[Hey, Tosh...the Sun would have a field day with that headline... :whistle:]

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Thu 25 Feb , 2010 10:57 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Depends how sloppy they are with apostrophes.
Sarah Palin: 'My Bristols to be on TV.'

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 1:00 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:scratch: All right, what's the joke?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 1:05 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

As I just learned on TORC a few days ago, Bristol comes from the rhyming slang of Bristol City--meaning titty. :P Did I get that right, Tosh?

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 1:18 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

<takes notes>

Okay, so I shouldn't wear a fanny pack with my pants on (for all to see) when I visit Bristol?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 26 Feb , 2010 1:56 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Elsha has it. :D
Lali, yes mentioning a fanny pack will bring a dirty smirk to the faces of Brits but despite that, Fanny still crops up as an acceptable girl's name.
Then there is the saying, sweet Fanny Adams, which means ending up with nothing much. The initials might give a clue.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 17 8 9 10 11 »
Jump to: