The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Adventures of Sarah Palin

Post Reply   Page 7 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 911 »
vison
Post subject: Re: The Adventures of Sarah Palin
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 6:51 pm
Best friends forever

Listened to a CBC radio interview this morning with Plouffe, the guy who was Obama's campaign manager. VERY interesting.

What Mr. Obama has, and Mrs. Palin lacks, is discipline.

Mrs. Palin is a person to whom everything has come easily - her low grade education, nearly nonexistent accomplishments, her "good looks", her "charm" - all easy and not very valuable. But she thinks they are. She is arrogant and I really don't see that changing. I think she will become more and more self-satisfied and will crash and burn pretty spectacularly. Especially if her marriage, rumoured to be in trouble, goes sideways. These Palins have no staying power.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 7:37 pm
Insolent Pup

nienna wrote:
TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
nienna wrote:
Quote:
Interviewer: "any policies, I guess, specifically of hers?"

adoring Palin supporter: "I can't think of the policies right off the bat..."
I'm guessing as a ignorant Brit that's because she doesn't have any? :scratch:
See, here you show your great British ignorance. Obviously she has policies, but they are secretly coded anagrams hidden within the words "freedom" and "liberty" and "choice." Like the writing on the one ring, her policies can only be spoken of in these anagrams or else liberals' heads would explode and she's waiting for 2012 for that.
Oh, I get it...you mean her policies are only apparent after they've been tossed on the fire? And they're likely to burn the House down... :D
Maybe you aren't as British as you thought... :horse:

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 25 Nov , 2009 4:22 pm

This is for Vison - the Number One Fan of Sarah Palin in Canada. ;)
Quote:
Palin tells Marg Delahunty Canada should 'dismantle' public health-care system
Tue Nov 24, 7:06 PM

WASHINGTON - Marg Delahunty has braved the wilds of the American Midwest to come face-to-face with Sarah Palin.

Comedian Mary Walsh's beloved character button-holed the former Alaska governor at a recent book-signing in Columbus, Ohio, only to be strong-armed away from Palin by a cabal of security guards.

The action was documented on Tuesday night's "This Hour Has 22 Minutes," but four days later, Walsh was still marvelling at her close encounter with one of the most controversial politicians on the planet.

"We told her we're from Canada, and we're just looking for a few words of encouragement for the Canadian conservatives who have worked so tirelessly to destroy the socialized medicare that we have," Walsh recalled Tuesday from St. John's.

"Four huge big burly guys started pushing, and I pushed back, but I got her attention, and she told us to keep the faith, something like that, and said we're all trying for the same thing."

After being kicked out of the book-signing, Walsh and her crew then waited outside at a loading dock close to where Palin's bus was parked. When Palin emerged from the Borders bookstore, Walsh said, Delahunty - dressed in a more toned-down version of her trademark warrior princess costume - called out to her.

"Hey, remember us, we're the Canadians! We came all the way here from Canada!" Delahunty yelled. "When we asked you that question, we didn't hear your answer."

Palin strolled over, looking down on Walsh and her crew to tell them that "Canada needs to dismantle its public health-care system and allow private enterprise to get involved and turn a profit."

"Basically, she said government should stop doing the work that private enterprise should do," Walsh said.

In addition to those comments, Walsh said, she found it equally bizarre that no one was allowed to ask Palin any questions at the book-signing.

"It was great fun, but also very strange," Walsh recalled.

"We're in a bookstore, at a public event, in a place one would think was a bastion of free speech. And no one was allowed to ask questions. What are they afraid of?"

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 25 Nov , 2009 4:25 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'm looking forward to the day that I'm famous and get ambushed by Marg Delahunty. :D

Do a youtube search on her name if you want some examples.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 25 Nov , 2009 4:44 pm
Best friends forever

Me, too, Jude! Imagine Marg Delahunty being allowed to accost the POTUS?
The idea of her sitting on Mr. Obama's knee and giving him the third degree?

Priceless! :D

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 25 Nov , 2009 4:57 pm
Insolent Pup

Quote:
"We're in a bookstore, at a public event, in a place one would think was a bastion of free speech. And no one was allowed to ask questions. What are they afraid of?"
Someone has been lying to Canada again.

Palin's thought process seems so superficial that it hover above the surface:
Quote:
Palin strolled over, looking down on Walsh and her crew to tell them that "Canada needs to dismantle its public health-care system and allow private enterprise to get involved and turn a profit."
O rlly? Based on what evidence? The droves of Canadians going south of the border for better, free-enterprise health care? Is that why the government prevents Americans from seeking low cost prescription drugs in Canada? Because there isn't enough "free-market" in the system? I just went to the doctor today and had to seek out a second doctor who would actually take my health care plan. Is that crazy, I have health care and yet have to find someone willing to accept it! I am so glad for the American system that provides real choice... the choice to pay for the visit via insurance (which I pay for) or the choice to pay for the visit despite my insurance (which I pay for).

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 26 Nov , 2009 5:56 pm
The best things in life are not things

Mouth Watering: Palin-Beck 2012 — With Lou Dobbs as Secretary of Propaganda and Homeland Security!

Palin on running with Glenn Beck in 2012: “I don’t know, we’ll see“

...or not, according to Glenn Beck

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Thu 26 Nov , 2009 6:05 pm
Best friends forever

Great Scott.

These people . . . :Q

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 26 Nov , 2009 6:26 pm

Hey, if there is any possibility of a ticket of Palin & Beck in 12 I would be glad to send a dollar in contribution if it would help further that goal. Ten dollars if it is on a third party independent ticket. Beck is such a tool that he cannot even resist making sexist remarks about somebody who he should be a staunch ally of. His immature school boy instincts are so strong that they overrule his brain.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Thu 26 Nov , 2009 10:50 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

There's a hell of an assumption implicit in your last sentence.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 27 Nov , 2009 12:47 am

that is true Lidless ...but its a holiday here and I am in a generous mood. ;)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 27 Nov , 2009 2:03 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Despite the sig pic, I'm in Texas right now and having the same.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 27 Nov , 2009 1:18 pm

Sarah Palin was interviewed by Greta Van Susteren on FOX the other day. Here is the transcript

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 99302.html

here is one very telling portion of it
Quote:
VAN SUSTEREN: All right, you talk about the -- that it's not the military. That's, indeed, true. We've got unemployment in Detroit, for instance, of 15 percent. Nationwide, 10.2 percent. California, Nevada, Rhode Island, all these states are getting hit terribly. In light of the fact that we do have this stimulus bill, it was passed in February and signed, what would you -- what would you do now if you were in charge?

PALIN: I would not start talking about a second stimulus package. This is bogus idea out there that growing more debt, another trillion- dollar stimulus package that we hear rumored about in Washington, D.C., that's being talked about -- when the first stimulus package that was almost a trillion dollars of moneys that the public coffers did not have -- to spend this again in a second stimulus is nonsense to most Americans.

The first stimulus package hasn't even been spent entirely, and it certainly hasn't been measured for any kind of success. So for Congress to start talking about, and the White House, a second stimulus package makes absolutely no sense.

What we need to do is reduce capital gains tax, reduce taxes on corporations and small businesses and our income so private sector, our families, our businesses can keep more of what we earn, can prioritize for our needs, reinvest, create jobs. That's how -- that's how the economy is going to roar back to life.

President Reagan did that back in the early '80s. He stayed true to his convictions that smaller government, tax cuts would rebuild the economy. It worked. Let's learn from what he did back there in the '80s, not go down this nonsensical road growing more debt, building more government and expect that somehow, magically, everything is going to just work out OK.
Notice that VS asks Palin what she would do and the first words out of her mouth, and what she gives most of her attention to is what she would NOT DO. And when she does get around to some actual actions its the old tired and worn out conservative mantra of low taxes and serving the needs of corporations and the business community. When she invokes the sainted name of patron saint Ronald Reagan, she conveniently ignores the massive increase in the debt that happened because of the Reagan policies.

In fact, she later says this
Quote:
All of a sudden, we're thinking it's OK to grow debt in our country. It's OK to borrow money from countries that we will soon be so beholden to. It's OK to print money out of thin air and think, again, that everything's just going to magically work out.
Palin either ignores or is ignorant of the facts of the Reagan years. The massive debt increases that she and conservatives rail against got their great push during the Reagan years. It was during the administration of Bill Clinton that things turned around. But she is oblivious to the historical record and instead merely gives us conservative boilerplate.

This is a woman who will not learn anything new beyond the cliches of the right wing. She is only comfortable when she is attacking and criticizing like she did with her debut speech at the 2008 Republican Convention. She is not a builder of anything positive.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sat 28 Nov , 2009 5:45 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Come now, you know perfectly well that debt isn't debt if it's a Republican who has amassed it. ;)

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 28 Nov , 2009 2:37 pm
Daydream Believer

elfshadow wrote:
Come now, you know perfectly well that debt isn't debt if it's a Republican who has amassed it. ;)

Especially if it's the Golden Boy Ronnie.

California = Reagonics at work. :cheers:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 29 Nov , 2009 5:11 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Apologies if this has been posted before, but someone else put it on another forum I read and I just had to share.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 29 Nov , 2009 6:46 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Kudos to that interviewer for keeping a straight face :D

It must have taken superhuman self-control.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 29 Nov , 2009 7:12 pm

Spending is bad, umkay.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sun 29 Nov , 2009 7:38 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I weep for humanity.

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 29 Nov , 2009 7:57 pm

What these youtube videos demonstrate so well is that at the core of politics is simple and uncomplicated belief. Lots of people believe what they believe simply because they believe it because they have made a decision to believe it. Facts do not matter and can be explained away if they dare contradict belief. The historical record can be ignored or explained away if it dares contradict belief. One does not need facts or history to believe. One only needs faith.

It is no coincidence that there is a strong connection between American conservatism and religious fundamentalism. They both center around a willing belief to accept something that cannot otherwise be explained with facts and history.

This is why Sarah Palin can extol the virtues of Reagan as President while ignoring his massive increases in the federal debt and then rip into Obama as President for increasing that same debt. Palin could pass a lie detector test on the issue if asked about her own hypocrisy. She believes with all her heart.

This nation is in danger from the True Believers of the right wing. Some call themselves conservatives. Some call themselves libertarians. Some call themselves Republicans. But they all embrace a system of beliefs as the core of their being.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 911 »
Jump to: