Post Reply   Page 6 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 811 »
Pippin4242
Post subject: Re: The Adventures of Sarah Palin
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 12:19 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I can't get the video in Wales. D:

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 1:53 am

It's like she's the Hillary Clinton of the Republican Party. Wow.

Boy was my first impression off.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 2:01 am
Insolent Pup

Wasn't Hilary disliked for more policy reasons, though?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 2:30 am

Both, actually. Both.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 7:17 am
The best things in life are not things

Pippin4242 wrote:
I can't get the video in Wales. D:

*~Pips~*
Me neither :( that's a bummer, I like Jamie Oliver ;)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks to TED for that great Jon Stewart clip. Amazing seven minutes. The best part came at the 5:20 mark where she described to Barbara Walters her plan for national salvation.....something really innovative, bold, creative and different....

cutting taxes

the same old same old conservative mantra that has been refuted too many times to even count anymore. I love the comment Stewart has on the Palin solutions

"when you peel back the pretty shooty layers of the onion, there is no onion."

Ah yes, there is no there there. She lacks substance. She is an empty suit.

Conservative columnist Cal Thomas has a love letter to Palin.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 99221.html

Its so gushy that William Kristol could have written it. He ends his valentine with this observation:
Quote:
Palin's optimism is refreshing. If she can sharpen her intellect, in three years she won't be mocked; she will be feared.
Isn't that exactly some of the advice that the experts on both sides gave Palin after the 2008 loss? It was pretty much go home to Alaska, be the best governor you can be, develop some expertise on policy issues especially foreign affairs, keep a low profile and show the nation you can be an excellent steward of the peoples government. Liberals and conservatives agreed on that in droves. And what was her response? Phone in her next few months of governors duties, quit the office turning her back on the people of Alaska, never spend any substantial time on policy or learning new things, and sell out for money. And Cal Thomas wants her to "sharpen her intellect".

Uh yeah. And if I could have grown another foot taller I could have played in the NBA.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 3:30 pm
Insolent Pup

Cal Thomas is such a twit. I used to read his columns in a local paper.

What will she quit next?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 9:42 pm
You are hearing me talk

sauronsfinger wrote:
Quote:
The only person who can derail Palin is Palin herself. Should she not self-destruct, she will doom G.O.P. hopes of a 2012 comeback. But the rest of the country cannot rest easy. The rage out there is larger than Palin and defies partisan labeling. Her ever-present booster Continetti, writing in The Weekly Standard, suggested that she recast the century-old populist outrage of William Jennings Bryan by adopting the message “You shall not crucify mankind upon the cross of Goldman Sachs.” If Obama can’t tamp down that rage across the political map, Palin will at the very least pave the way for a demagogue with less baggage to pick up her torch.
That last paragraph has rather frightening implications for all of us.
Doesn't it? The bankers need to be punished in a very public fashion. At the very least, they need to be thrown out of the treasury department. If Obama won't do it, there is a risk that all the disgruntled, newly-unemployed, newly-homeless Americans will vote for any idiot who will.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 11:22 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

If Sarah Palin is the answer, that the hell was the question?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 11:31 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I think the entertainment will come when it's closer to the Presidential election process and if she does throw her hat in the ring. Then the adulation of the 'base' will be severely strained by the in-fighting between her Republican fellow contenders. The criticisms of her by the liberals will be nothing compared to that fight.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 11:56 pm

Tosh has a good point since Huckabee will be going for exactly the same pool of voters that Palin will be going for. That should be rather entertaining. I would put my money on Sarah in that confrontation.

Its no longer the season for Halloween... but this pretty scary just the same. Interviews with Palin supporters in Columbus, Ohio. Now as part of full disclosure, I must confess that I live just outside of Ann Arbor in Michigan and anything that happens in Columbus is to be mocked, derided and belittled. I also must confess that they have kicked our ass for six years in a row which makes us hate them even more. Listen to the views of these folks.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKKgua7wQk

Did you see the LOTR sweatshirt? - its a green zip-up that came from the Indianapolis, Indiana exhibition a couple of years ago.

We are everywhere it seems.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 5:46 am
Insolent Pup

Are they American citizens?

"Well, I don't really know much about that issue, but I believe that Obama is against it because my church group/fox noise said he is." If that is how you begin your sentence, you should give up your right to free speech because obviously you don't understand how to use it. "Obama is naturalizing all of the illegals..." Is he? Is he really, or did Lou Dobbs tell you that before he was fired from CNN?

Stupid is genetic and it's a sad thing.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 7:49 am

Quote:
Interviewer: "any policies, I guess, specifically of hers?"

adoring Palin supporter: "I can't think of the policies right off the bat..."
I'm guessing as a ignorant Brit that's because she doesn't have any? :scratch:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 9:47 am
of Vinyamar

Wouldn't it be depressing for all the people who fought so hard for women to be taken seriously, if this was the woman who ended up President.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 12:15 pm

Don't say such things!! :neutral:

Profile Quote
Di of Long Cleeve
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 12:39 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

nienna wrote:
Quote:

:rofl:
Alatar wrote:
Wouldn't it be depressing for all the people who fought so hard for women to be taken seriously, if this was the woman who ended up President.
THIS. :clap:

Palin has no ... substance. :scared:

She makes me remember Margaret Thatcher kindly, and that's scary enough in itself. =:) :D

(I'll say two things for Thatcher: she had brains, and she had guts.)

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 3:13 pm
Insolent Pup

nienna wrote:
Quote:

See, here you show your great British ignorance. Obviously she has policies, but they are secretly coded anagrams hidden within the words "freedom" and "liberty" and "choice." Like the writing on the one ring, her policies can only be spoken of in these anagrams or else liberals' heads would explode and she's waiting for 2012 for that.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 3:17 pm
Daydream Believer

Alatar wrote:

It would be sad for everyone, everywhere. I would think that Palin is very much a shoot first and then shoot again, and again and again. Then kick the corpse. Questioning things is just stupid if God says it's so. No one expects the American Inquistion.

Please no more comparing Palin to anything Tolkien, even his orcs had more depth.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 3:32 pm

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
nienna wrote:
Quote:

See, here you show your great British ignorance. Obviously she has policies, but they are secretly coded anagrams hidden within the words "freedom" and "liberty" and "choice." Like the writing on the one ring, her policies can only be spoken of in these anagrams or else liberals' heads would explode and she's waiting for 2012 for that.
Oh, I get it...you mean her policies are only apparent after they've been tossed on the fire? And they're likely to burn the House down... :D

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 24 Nov , 2009 5:18 pm

To show you how the attitudes are shifting, political strategist turned pundit Matthew Dowd now seems to think that Palin actually could win election in 2012 although he has some big IFs.
Quote:
Yes, she can: Palin has a shot at the presidency

By Matthew Dowd
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
President Sarah Palin. To many pundits and late-night comedians, this sounds like a punch line, and to many die-hard Democrats it sounds like a reason to leave the country.

Yet while the conventional wisdom has it that Palin is too badly damaged to make a serious run in 2012 -- and I agree that her success is not probable -- it is definitely a possibility that Palin could be elected president of the United States.

Those having concerns about my objectivity or wondering whether I am a "Palinista" should keep in mind that I raised serious questions about her qualifications last fall -- doubts I still have -- and that I predicted John McCain would look back at his vice presidential pick with remorse.

Looking ahead to the political landscape of the 2012 presidential election, there are certain elements to keep in mind, assuming that President Obama runs for reelection.

First, Gallup polls over the past 60 years show that no president with an approval rating under 47 percent has won reelection, and no president with an approval rating above 51 percent has lost reelection. (George W. Bush's approval rating in the weeks before the 2004 election hovered around 50 percent.) The 2012 election will be primarily about our current president and whether voters are satisfied with the country's direction.

Who the Republican candidate is, and his or her qualifications and abilities, will matter only if Obama's approval rating is between 47 and 51 percent going into the fall of 2012. Interestingly, in the latest Gallup poll Obama's approval rating was at a precarious 49 percent.

Second, America is still (unfortunately) politically divided and polarized, and Palin benefits from this dynamic. While Democrats love Obama, Republicans look on him with real disfavor. The gap between Obama's approval rating among Democrats and among Republicans is nearly 70 percentage points -- a higher partisan divide than either Bill Clinton or George W. Bush experienced. Obama's agenda and actions this year, and some mistakes, have solidified this divide.

Polls show that Palin's favorability numbers are a mirror image of those of Obama. She is respected and loved by the Republican base, while Democrats despise her. Granted, independent voters have significant reservations about her capability to be president, and this would be a hurdle in the general election. But to win the Republican nomination, Palin needs only to get enough support from the base to win early key states. Already, in nearly every poll today, she has a level of support that makes her a viable primary candidate. Just look at the crowds and the buzz her book tour is drawing.

While today I would not support a Palin candidacy, here are five suggestions that would go a long way toward winning her more converts:

-- Quality over quantity. You don't need to "tweet" quite so much. You don't need to be at countless rallies and photo ops. Instead, seek out substantive platforms where you can relate to people in a thoughtful, measured way. Appear on Sunday shows every now and then, sit down with Charlie Rose and editorial boards, and give serious speeches on your approach to the world in the 21st century.

-- Hope and fear. To be elected president, a candidate has to understand voters' fears but appeal to their hopes. Ronald Reagan (and Bill Clinton) knew this very well. To do this more comprehensively, I would suggest traveling more to better get a handle on where the voters are on topics related to finances, faith, race, etc. Get out of the bubble of high-profile events. Go to the inner cities, the suburbs and small towns where folks are trying to live their lives through great anxiety. And don't go to talk about yourself, but to listen to others.

-- Reagan is the past. While Reagan is a beloved president who did much for this country, folks want to look to the future and believe in a new brand of leader. Espousing the values Reagan spoke to and represented is fine, but you need to be yourself, not an acolyte for a president who is now in the history books.

-- Use humor. In responding to controversy, bad press and negative occurrences in general, learn to let it slide off of you with a knowing smile. Maybe even use some self-deprecation. Levi Johnston, your almost son-in-law, has been a thorn in your side. Let it go. Publicly sparring with a teenager is not presidential. Don't be afraid to make fun of yourself. Voters like candidates who know that they aren't perfect and can laugh at themselves.

-- Think accountability. Yes, bad things happen to good people, and it isn't fair. But voters don't want to hear all the excuses of why an interview didn't go well or which other person was responsible for a bad decision. Americans want presidents who accept blame when things go wrong. They are tired of their leaders and institutions not admitting mistakes, learning from errors and making improvements.

Like it or not, if Sarah Palin decides to seek our nation's highest office, she has a shot. The probability of her success depends on her ability, and that of President Obama, to admit and learn from their mistakes as we head into 2012.

The writer, a political analyst for ABC News, was the chief strategist for George W. Bush's 2004 presidential campaign.
What we are seeing starting to happen is that some on the Republican side are looking at the decrease in the Obama poll numbers and they are starting to entertain the thought that they can win this thing and can do it on their own terms without having to accept half a loaf as they would with a Mitt Romney candidacy. They also see the rise of the right wing populists like Glen Beck, and to a lesser extent, Loud Dobbs, and fear that a third party populist would really kill the republican parties chances if they went more moderate like Romney or Pawlenty of Minnesota.

If you are a Democrat or Obama supporter, this is good news as it only keeps the hard right turn of the Republican party going ever further in the same direction. In most major contested elections, it is the body of independents in the middle which hold the balance of power.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 811 »
Jump to: