The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Adventures of Sarah Palin

Post Reply   Page 5 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 711 »
nienna
Post subject: Re: The Adventures of Sarah Palin
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 2:33 pm
The best things in life are not things

Of course, we don't get THE book over here until Dec 10th....

There have, however, been a couple of articles by Alex Massie looking ahead to it, in The Spectator this week:

The Second Coming of Sarah Palin
Quote:
The danger for the GOP, however, is that Palin and Palinism might hijack the party's primary season in 2012, leaving the eventual nominee crippled before the general election even begins. Palin is a wrecker, not a uniter.

While, sure, one ought not to rule out the possibility that some miraculous turnaround might happen, the idea that Palin is the answer is baffling. There are plenty of people who are populists in their hearts but, when push comes to shove and the moment arrives when they actually cast their ballot, they tend to vote for pragmatists, even boring ones, rather than glamorous populists.
and as a follow up to that article,Sarah Palin is Mitt Romney's Useful Idiot

which discusses Daniel Larison's article for The American Conservative on "Palin’s Extremely Long Shot At The Nomination"
Quote:
this is one scenario in which Palin could actually help, not hurt, the Republican party: she would make the eventual nominee look much more respectable than might be the case if he has to spend the primary season wrestling for the Palin constituency. In other words, by providing something to run against, she helps the party become the kind of sensible, pragmatic, problem-focused, grown-up organisation that might actually be worth voting for...
http://www.spectator.co.uk/alexmassie/5 ... diot.thtml

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 4:23 pm
Daydream Believer

LalaithUrwen wrote:
:D

Sarah Palin, actually. Oprah is okay.

The US needs more people like you, real conservatives. :love:

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 4:27 pm
Daydream Believer

Ara-anna wrote:
LalaithUrwen wrote:
:D

Sarah Palin, actually. Oprah is okay.

The US needs more people like you, real conservatives. :love:

As for Sarah Palin, I would never buy her book....I'd burn it though. I have a friend who lived in Wasilla and in Ketchican both, she told me the real story on the bridge to no-where and the part Mrs. Palin actually played in it. My friend was a planner for Alaska....lots of different stories about Palin that have always made me think Palin was pulling the truth as she knew out of her hind end.

This has got to be the coolest dp I've made in a long time.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 4:37 pm

from the article linked to by Nienna
Quote:
The danger for the GOP, however, is that Palin and Palinism might hijack the party's primary season in 2012, leaving the eventual nominee crippled before the general election even begins. Palin is a wrecker, not a uniter.

While, sure, one ought not to rule out the possibility that some miraculous turnaround might happen, the idea that Palin is the answer is baffling. There are plenty of people who are populists in their hearts but, when push comes to shove and the moment arrives when they actually cast their ballot, they tend to vote for pragmatists, even boring ones, rather than glamorous populists.
That is it in a nutshell. Its perfect. Even the wingnuts at the NY Post who think she walks on water and can turn it into wine have open doubts about her ability to actually be President. The Republican Party is riding a tiger with Palin and they cannot afford to let go for a second or fear that it will devour them also. And that is a very real possibility.

If you want to read the blind leading the blind, check out the transcript to the Bill O'Rielly interview of Palin on FOX this week. There is one point where O'Reilly falls right into the Palin trap and cites some poll which says only 40% of the public hates her completely and would never vote for her. O'Rielly thinks this means 60% are ripe for the picking. And I have no doubt that the handlers of Palin think exactly that same way.

Notice that the entire intverview is all about attacking the media and how she has been dissed by everyone else. She spends no time at all on issues of the day or public policy which is pretty much the entire 400 pages of her book as well.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... 99255.html

This is a woman who is either incapable or just unwilling to do the hard work to make herself a serious person with credibility and demonstrating intelligence on public policy issues. And that is a quality that her supporters love her for all the more. Truly frightening.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 5:54 pm
Best friends forever

Personally I would rather she stayed her own sweet self.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 7:24 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

What I'm not quite getting is why my uber-conservative friends think she walks on water. :scratch: I have one friend who already has a Palin bumper sticker on her minivan.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 7:41 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

She is so REAL and AUTHENTIC. :roll: She's a proper mother, and looks after her disabled child afer refusing an abortion. She's devout and admirable, she's the victim of astonishing prejudice from the people who were meant to support her, she's honest and down-to-earth, and she's even forgiven the bastard who knocked her daughter up.

:bang:

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 7:41 pm
Best friends forever

LalaithUrwen wrote:
What I'm not quite getting is why my uber-conservative friends think she walks on water. :scratch: I have one friend who already has a Palin bumper sticker on her minivan.
If she was what she puts herself forward as being, she'd be great. She's a phoney. And I think that will be apparent as time goes by. I quite firmly believe that she will hang herself if she's given enough rope. Oh, no doubt there will be diehards who will always adore her - but people really aren't that stupid. They will see her for what she is, if she's given enough exposure.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 7:51 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I hope you're right. As the one article said, she is the mean girl. (That's probably why I don't like her--I suffered quite a bit of abuse by the mean, popular girls.) And she feels very, very fake to me. Of course, I think that about almost all politicians, so there you go. :blackeye:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 8:03 pm
Best friends forever

I guess all politicians have to put on an act of some kind. But at bottom, I think they show their true selves in spite of it. Mr. Bush didn't pretend to be something other than he was - nor does Mr. Obama. They might pretty it up a bit, and who can blame them?

Mrs. Palin is just so "empty". There is nothing there. She might fool people, but not all, and not for long.

If she is given a lot of attention, it will keep going to her head. She will get more and more arrogant and sure of herself. She isn't a person who is going to be awed by it, she will take it as her due.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 9:39 pm
Daydream Believer

Palin is the type of woman that is sugary sweet to your face and a backstabber as soon as you no longer serve her purpose. She love you long time, so long as there is something in it for her. As soon as that is gone...she's fooling someone else.

A friend of mine who has two autistic daughters said Palin would probably be the worst thing for any and all children with disabilities. Palin has never and will never have to beg school systems to get her youngest into programs, she will never have to struggle to find help for him as most down to earth working normal parents of children with disabilities do. She has enough money to buy him all he can want. I think this is what irks me the most, she will never know the struggle of sending her son to a place that is unable to give him a good education due to budget cuts. She can hire the best for him, 99% of real Americans can't do that. To me she is as real as Pamela Anderson...fake fake fake fake fake.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 9:45 pm

Well, while everyone seems to be in agreement here,

[ img ]

and there's plenty more here

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 9:54 pm
Best friends forever

We're all in agreement because we're in LiberalLockstep, doncha know?

Jeez.

Everyone's out of step but our Sarah.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 9:56 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Nienna, your link has an ad for "Sarah Palin sex doll"

*is scared to click* :Q

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 10:03 pm

Really, Jude????? :Q :scratch:

or do you mean this one ;)
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/sara ... Parade.htm

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 10:34 pm
Daydream Believer

Jude wrote:
"Sarah Palin sex doll"

*is scared to click* :Q

not.enough.mind.bleach.

my eyes my eyes

Ok are there sex dolls of Bill Clinton, Barak Obama or George W. out there? Seriously there aren't because no matter how bad they may or may not be as POTUS, they haven't made such an absolute joke out of themselves...and for goodness sake one of them is GWB.

If Palin ever becomes POTUS....The US will be laughed off the planet. I imagine there are a few such as Putin that wish to all unholy that we would elect her POTUS. He'd have her frothing in 2.5 seconds for the hell of it. He'd be like :poke: :poke: :poke: :pray: :devil: and not in the sex doll way either.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 10:41 pm
Aspiring to heresy

nienna wrote:

No. Look at the ads in the right column.

Better still - don't look at the ads in the right column. :spider:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 10:52 pm

Jude wrote:
nienna wrote:

No. Look at the ads in the right column.

Better still - don't look at the ads in the right column. :spider:

:shrug: Bizarre....I'm only seeing "clean" ads for ConsumerSearch.com, etc. We do have a filter, but normally it puts up a banner over anything the kids shouldn't see!

~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sun 22 Nov , 2009 10:55 pm
Insolent Pup

I like Jon Stewart's take on why Palin is disliked: the Rogue Warrior.

I don't dislike her because of her mother-status, her knocked up teenage daughter, her "straight-talking" attitude, but her lack of critical thinking, the fact that she plays to ignorance and offers red herrings as the "real" reason she's disliked. She's dishonest, pure and simple. The fact that the right-wing media accuses people of these motivations without any evidence in their Fox Noise echo chamber adds icing to that hate cake. I didn't dislike Bush because he was born-again, but because he lied and manipulated an tragedy to start a pointless war--but that's too sensible. It must be because I'm a liberal, atheist christian-mother-"real" american hater... right.

Note: this rant is not aimed to counter anything anyone here or on any other site has currently accused me of. Just a rant. Though, I do recall being called anti-American and a traitor for my anti-Bush views back in the heyday of those sad years (over in Manwe).

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 23 Nov , 2009 12:17 am
bioalchemist

Yeah, those were fun times.

The clip with Jamie Oliver that followed the Rogue Warrior segment was, if anything, even more awesome. Especially the bit with the kids.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 711 »
Jump to: