board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Adventures of Sarah Palin

Post Reply   Page 2 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »
Ara-anna
Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin to quit as Alaska GOV.
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 7:32 pm
Daydream Believer

I miss Newt. At least when he spoke it wasn't word salad.
That said word salad is a technique narcissist often use to make themselves sound better.

The Bard summed Sarah up pretty well:

a poor player
That struts and frets her hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 7:41 pm

I am baffled by the notion that her speech was unclear or jumbled or whatever. I understood her statements perfectly well and she delivered them perfectly normally. She doesn't speak like trained or highly practiced speaker but that doesn't mean she doesn't make any sense.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 7:53 pm

Really?!?!?! Here are the words of Governor Palin where she explains why she must resign now instead of honoring her oath of office
Quote:
I will not seek re-election as Governor.

And so as I thought about this announcement that I wouldn't run for re-election and what it means for Alaska, I thought about how much fun some governors have as lame ducks... travel around the state, to the Lower 48 (maybe), overseas on international trade - as so many politicians do. And then I thought - that's what's wrong - many just accept that lame duck status, hit the road, draw the paycheck, and "milk it". I'm not putting Alaska through that - I promised efficiencies and effectiveness! ? That's not how I am wired. I am not wired to operate under the same old "politics as usual." I promised that four years ago - and I meant it.

Palin claimed she had to resign because she is a lame duck and will not put Alaska through what other lame duck governors put their states through.

Until she made that resignation speech on Friday SHE WAS NOT A LAME DUCK. She clearly created a situation and then used the fact of that situation to justify what she wanted to do. Palin had a long time in office before she would have been forced by the calendar to make a decision to run or not run for reelection sometime in 2010.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 8:07 pm
Daydream Believer

Yov

Sometimes word salad does make some sense. There are bits and pieces that ring true, thats why her speach isn't so much as jumble and unclear. I understand she thinks she has a lame duck governorship, but her ratings in Alaska were high, and I don't see a lame duck in her case. Her speech to me is clear, and full of word salad, like she is trying to explain the benefits of her quiting such as her notion that she is a lame duck. Some of us are just going :scratch: really, lame duck? That doesn't make logical sense, especially for a governor who is popular in her home state.

And her blaming the media makes me almost puke. She can't handle bad press now and figure out how to use dipolmacy to keep her self from being a lame duck, in a state with a small population, there is no way she would be able to stand the national spot light of the POTUS. She thinks its bad now, wait until Putin lays into her. Putin and the 'Liberal Media' are two very different birds. The American media is easy to deal with, compared to the leaders of the rest of the world, some of which actually have standing armies and nuclear warheads.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 8:08 pm

Um, did you not hear the part about why she'll not seek re-election? Since last August, millions of the government's money and hundreds of thousands of her personal dollars have been spent in defending herself from frivolous lawsuits. The "lame duck" statements were an extension of that.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 8:24 pm

Yovargas - each year Alaska give out checks to residents totaling hundreds of millions of dollars collected in tax upon oil. Money was not the problem. Never was. Alaska is one of the few states without a government monetary problem.

IF Palin was being sued for official actions as Governor, then that is a state expense. If she is being sued for her own personal actions, then that is on her and I have no sympathy for her. Her so called monetary excuse is bogus.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 9:05 pm
Best friends forever

"She became, overnight, one of the most hated and reviled people in the country. This led to a level and persistence of attack from so many sides that she is no longer able to do her job. She has had to spend enormous amounts time and money defending herself and so can't spend the time accomplishing anything productive. So she's handing the job over to someone who can while she searches for a way to continue doing the work she wants to do."

First, why was she "hated and reviled"? Not "hated and reviled", "despised" would be my word of choice. If ever a politician got what she had coming, she did. She's an ignorant fool who was exposed as an ignorant fool with every word out of her lipsticked mouth and most people were smart enough to pick up on that.

Second, she was not attacked any more than any other public figure - as a matter of fact, she was given a very easy ride.

Third, she did not spend ONE CENT of her own money. And it's not over yet, once she is out of office, she might very well have to pay for her own defense - and believe me, there are going to be continuing "attacks". If "attack" is the word for "being called to account for wrongdoing".

She's a whiner and a quitter, an intellectual lightweight, a buffoon in designer togs. (BTW, what ever became of those clothes? The ones she was "giving right back"? Yet another "attack", as in, "if you kept them you broke the law, so show us what happened to them."

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sun 05 Jul , 2009 9:29 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Quote:
...I thought about how much fun some governors have as lame ducks... travel around the state, to the Lower 48 (maybe), overseas on international trade - as so many politicians do. And then I thought - that's what's wrong - many just accept that lame duck status, hit the road, draw the paycheck, and "milk it". I'm not putting Alaska through that...
So if she stayed on, that's what she thinks she would do? Wow.

For someone who fervently believes in God, took an oath on the Bible, and believes in democracy, to leave two years in and have Alaska led by someone who wasn't elected to that particular post is mind-boggling. It's nothing to do about Alaska, it's all about Her. Every day, more and more, she begins to resemble the over-inflated egos that Heidi/Spencer Pratt on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here have.

Monday night's episode also cleared up conflicting reports about whether the married couple had been "tortured" while spending the night in an isolation chamber, as Spencer's sister Stephanie Pratt had claimed, and that led to Heidi's illness.

As it turned out, the Pratts survived the night lying side-by-side, dozing and praying in the dark room that appeared riddled with spiders. "The only way we got through it was praying," Spencer said on the show. "Jesus delivered us." They left the chamber cheering.

But Heidi took a turn for the worse later that day when she began throwing up and continued vomiting through the night and into the next day. At first, the avowed Christian told her husband it was the "evil coming out of me…I feel like my soul is cleansed."

It was the second time Heidi and Spencer quit the show. On the first occasion, Spencer told the producers: "I'm too rich and I'm too famous to be sitting with these people and cleaning up their shit in the jungle, my man. And this cast is devaluing our fame right now. I'm sitting next to VH1 comedians that I have never even seen before... I thought it was gonna be all celebrities."

Palin was a sports journalism student at five different colleges. I see a trend.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 7:57 pm
Same as it ever was

I do not have a specific post to respond to, I was out of touch with both internet and tv all weekend, but all I can say is that the demise of Sarah Palin does not surprise me, nor does it upset me, the woman was setting herself up for her own downfall if anyone ever did.

Over ambitious, over zealous, over confidant, and totally lacking in any real national political skills whatsoever. The facts that she relied on being female added further insult to the whole mess, yes she is female, but, she did nothing to honor that as a political candidate. BLEH!! Good riddance is the kindest thing I have to offer, and I mean riddance.

I am sure the true story comes out eventually. ;)

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Mon 06 Jul , 2009 11:48 pm
Just keep singin'!

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the article in Vanity Fair, which came out shortly before Palin announced her resignation. Worth a read.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/feat ... alin200908

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 07 Jul , 2009 7:45 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Oh is that what this joke meant...

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 07 Jul , 2009 3:52 pm

CNN has a nine minute one on one interview with Sarah Palin that was done on July 6th.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/07/ ... nnSTCVideo

She gives a bit more detail and elaborates on much of what she said last Friday. This is a woman who is NOT going away and is NOT turning her back on running for elected office.

My own two cents: Sarah Palin used a basketball metaphor when she bowed out last week. Allow me to use another one. Palin played as a point guard in high school and was a good one by all reports. A point guard is normally the smallest and fastest player on the court for their team. They enjoy a great deal of freedom to run around with the ball and also enjoy the freedom from being banged around punished the way a center or power forward is down low in the paint. Unless they go into the paint and attempt to play with the big men and then its expect to get knocked around. Sarah Palin is no longer a basketball point guard and is now the center of attention in the Republican Party and has been so for nearly ten months now. And just like a basketball center she is being pounded on, getting battered and bruised, leaned on and pushed, and fouled repeatedly. You cannot be the center without such treatment as it comes with the position and comes with the game.

By her own admission in so many other words, Sarah Palin has no taste for being the center. So she left the game.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Wed 08 Jul , 2009 12:35 am
Same as it ever was

sauronsfinger wrote:
CNN has a nine minute one on one interview with Sarah Palin that was done on July 6th.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/07/ ... nnSTCVideo

She gives a bit more detail and elaborates on much of what she said last Friday. This is a woman who is NOT going away and is NOT turning her back on running for elected office.

My own two cents: Sarah Palin used a basketball metaphor when she bowed out last week. Allow me to use another one. Palin played as a point guard in high school and was a good one by all reports. A point guard is normally the smallest and fastest player on the court for their team. They enjoy a great deal of freedom to run around with the ball and also enjoy the freedom from being banged around punished the way a center or power forward is down low in the paint. Unless they go into the paint and attempt to play with the big men and then its expect to get knocked around. Sarah Palin is no longer a basketball point guard and is now the center of attention in the Republican Party and has been so for nearly ten months now. And just like a basketball center she is being pounded on, getting battered and bruised, leaned on and pushed, and fouled repeatedly. You cannot be the center without such treatment as it comes with the position and comes with the game.

By her own admission in so many other words, Sarah Palin has no taste for being the center. So she left the game.
So she did.

And, I fervently hope by HER OWN ACTIONS, that this foolish support base that has grown up around her will see her for the shallow "homecoming queen/sports star" persona that she used to build her political career is just so much varnish with no building material underneath it.

IOW, she is as shallow as they come. When the tough get going, Sarah claimed to be in for the long haul, but instead, she took flight and cowered.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 08 Jul , 2009 1:39 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Ottawa Citizen article:
Quote:
Palin remains open to run at White House
Outgoing Alaska governor defends unconventional decisions

Sheldon Alberts, Canwest News Service

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Tuesday opened the door to seeking the Republican nomination for U.S. president in 2012, saying "all options are on the table" for her political future.

But the former GOP vice-presidential candidate admitted her surprise decision to resign as governor -- described by fellow Republicans as both bizarre and inscrutable -- might well have killed her chances of ever reaching the White House.

"You know, politically speaking, if I die, I die. So be it," Palin told Good Morning America, in one of several interviews aired Tuesday, the first she's given since announcing her plans to leave office at the end of the month.

"(I) don't know what the future holds. I'm not gonna shut any door. Who knows what doors open. I can't predict what the next fish run's gonna look like down on the Nushagak (river in Alaska). So I certainly can't predict what's gonna happen in the next couple of years."

She added: "I don't need a title to be the one to usher in what it is that needs to be done in our state or our country."

Speculation about Palin's future has dominated political discussion in Washington since the 45-year-old mother of five announced on July 3 that she will step down as Alaska governor.

President Barack Obama has even weighed in -- from Russia -- with an opinion on the GOP star's decision.

"She has a fiercely loyal constituency within the Republican party and in the conservative movement," Obama said Tuesday, following meetings with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. "But she says that this is something that is best for her family and I respect that."

In the days since her announcement, Palin has posted a Facebook message saying she is pursuing a "higher calling" of uniting Americans around conservative principles.

She also slammed the mainstream media for failing to understand her decision was not about political ambitions, but "about country."

The early view among Republican voters is that Palin has damaged any presidential ambitions she may have, according to results of the latest poll, released Tuesday.

The Rasmussen survey found that 40 per cent of GOP voters feel her resignation hurts her chances of becoming the party's presidential nominee in 2012, while 24 per cent feel she has improved her potential White House hopes.

In her first round of post-resignation interviews, however, Palin courted the big U.S. television networks, inviting them along with her and her family aboard a fishing boat in Dillingham, Alaska.

She acknowledged her decision to quit -- more than a year before her first term as governor was to expire -- was "out of the box and unconventional." But she said fans and critics alike can expect more of the same, whether she pursues a White House bid or not.

"I'm going to continue to be, whether some of 'em like it or not, pretty darn independent, and not get wrapped up into a strong political machine that hasn't been extremely successful in some ways," she told Fox News Channel.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 08 Jul , 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks Jude for that article. That last quote sounds like she is also directing her ire at Republican circles as well as the Democrats and President Obama
Quote:
"I'm going to continue to be, whether some of 'em like it or not, pretty darn independent, and not get wrapped up into a strong political machine that hasn't been extremely successful in some ways," she told Fox News Channel.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Wed 08 Jul , 2009 1:56 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Ok. What I'm getting from this is the following:

"I'm a lame duck. Will you let me be president?"

I'm sorry, but anyone who votes for that needs serious, serious help.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 08 Jul , 2009 1:59 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I think the most telling part is this quote (bolding mine):
Quote:
She acknowledged her decision to quit -- more than a year before her first term as governor was to expire -- was "out of the box and unconventional." But she said fans and critics alike can expect more of the same, whether she pursues a White House bid or not.
Those words should be huge blinking warning lights for anyone thinking of entrusting her with any responsibility.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 08 Jul , 2009 2:37 pm
Daydream Believer

Quote:
In the days since her announcement, Palin has posted a Facebook message saying she is pursuing a "higher calling" of uniting Americans around conservative principles.
So which god is issuing this higher calling, Jesus or Allah?

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 09 Jul , 2009 12:24 pm
You are hearing me talk

I think it's actually just Sarah Palin.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 09 Jul , 2009 2:33 pm
Daydream Believer

Dave_LF wrote:
I think it's actually just Sarah Palin.

Well that's the case in 99.9999999999999% of these 'higher calling' God told me to things anyway. The person just wants to justify their own actions.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 11  [ 207 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 511 »
Jump to: