The Last Homely Site on the Web

Paying for Health Care

Post Reply   Page 13 of 16  [ 301 posts ]
Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 15 16 »
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject: Re: Paying for Health Care
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 8:57 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Can someone tell me what the use of a gun at a presidential meeting is? I mean how would a member of the public expect to use it? Seriously? Who or what would he use it against? I mean it's not for target shooting is it? Or hunting vermin.
Am I allowed a guess?
a) Intimidation
b) Because I can
c) My penis is small so this makes me feel better about myself.

Or all of the above.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 9:54 am
Insolent Pup

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
The threat level of an armed person (crazy or not) is greater, and deadlier than the threat level of an unarmed person (crazy or not).
I think the threat level of a crazy person (armed or not) is greater and deadlier than the threat level of a sane person (armed or not).
Your statement says very little of the reality of the situation. The ability to detect crazy, and sane is difficult. Add in a gun, and the difficulty grows exponentially. It isn't enough to say that the threat level of a crazy person is greater than a sane when you don't know whether the gun owner is crazy or sane. I'd hope we don't have to learn who is crazy, and who is sane at a future rally.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 11:50 am

Tosh asks
Quote:
Can someone tell me what the use of a gun at a presidential meeting is?
I liked your possible answers. ;)

Here is another - the radical right in America has repeated over and over again the President Obama "wants to take our guns". I strongly suspect that when these people came to a presidential appearance with a visible and loaded weapon that they truly wanted some sort of confrontation with the police or federal agents that would lead to their arrest. They dearly hoped that they would be turned into some sort of poster child for the National Rifle Association and the whole gun culture. It would be the cause celebre among conservative wackos that would create loads of publicity and increase their visibility. Instead, they had to settle for their 15 minutes of fame on FOX tv outlets.

If any responsible thinking person truly has convinced themself that bringing a loaded gun to a presidential event is anything but a terrible idea, please wave to Alice as you keep falling deeper down that rabbit hole. The insanity of Wonderland will soon be yours.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 12:49 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I'm currently contributing to a Facebook discussion on universal health care and the outrageous lies and opinions are amazing. For the record UHC is opposed in the poll by more than 70%.
Then someone points you to this

http://advantageconsultants.org/index.html

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 1:59 pm

I love the part where this company can provide you with grassroots support ..... for a high fee of course. These sort of things make common hookers look like paragons of virtue.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 4:07 pm
Insolent Pup

sauronsfinger wrote:
Tosh asks
Quote:
Can someone tell me what the use of a gun at a presidential meeting is?
I liked your possible answers. ;)

Here is another - the radical right in America has repeated over and over again the President Obama "wants to take our guns". I strongly suspect that when these people came to a presidential appearance with a visible and loaded weapon that they truly wanted some sort of confrontation with the police or federal agents that would lead to their arrest. They dearly hoped that they would be turned into some sort of poster child for the National Rifle Association and the whole gun culture. It would be the cause celebre among conservative wackos that would create loads of publicity and increase their visibility. Instead, they had to settle for their 15 minutes of fame on FOX tv outlets.

If any responsible thinking person truly has convinced themself that bringing a loaded gun to a presidential event is anything but a terrible idea, please wave to Alice as you keep falling deeper down that rabbit hole. The insanity of Wonderland will soon be yours.
I'd like to see these people be consistent at least. If there is a protest at a school during school hours, please come armed. If there is a protest at a hospital, please come armed. If there is a protest at a girl scouts headquarters while the girl scouts are camping, and making bracelets, please come armed. And I don't mean these to be health care protests, but they could be worker strikes, rallies against a particular head of the organization, or just rallies against the organizations themselves. I'm not sure republicans would be singing the same tune if at a teacher strike, five people showed up against the strike packing heat especially if students are in the building.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 4:40 pm
bioalchemist

Heh. If armed protesters show up at a school they'll soon have the holy wrath of soccer moms descended upon their heads. That'll kill off their little movement.

Sometimes, if a person is sick enough, you can see the crazy in their eyes and in their manner. Thing is, even a symptomatically crazy person is of limited risk when unarmed. Armed is a whole other story. But most of the time, it's like hot vs. cold glassware: you can't tell by looking. And even if someone isn't ill, they can have questionable judgement. I'd put anyone who brings a big gun to a setting where tempers are running high in that category.

Tosh, I think it starts with option c. This small penis thing has always mystified me. I mean, really, if you have a small dick and you're embarassed by it why are you screaming "I'm small!!" to the world with a big gun, or big fancy car, or really big and loud motorcycle? But, being a woman, this might be something I'm just not wired to understand.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
tinwe
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 6:30 pm
Waiting for winter

I'm afraid I see something a bit more sinister in this. Let's face it, there are people in this country who would like to see Obama dead, who would like to see him assassinated. No, I don't think any of these whackjobs carrying open arms at his rallies ever would, or could do such a thing. I imagine these guys are being watched by half of the entire police force and all of the Secret Service at the same time. They would be pumped full of lead before they could even get the gun out the holster.

But this sort of thing does embolden the rest of the psychopaths out there. We've already seen it with the assassination of Dr. Tiller. The wingnuts talked about offing him enough that somebody finally did it. And now these same people will see these images on TV and think "hey, look, we can take guns to Obama rallies. Time to start making plans!". That's why I think this is one of the most despicable things I have ever seen. These people are playing a dangerous game, and they know good and damned well what it is.

Calling them psychopaths is too kind. These people are so far beyond the pale that mere words cannot describe them.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 21 Aug , 2009 6:35 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Never under-estimate the presence of cool calculating people behind any madness.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 9:26 pm

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
Can someone tell me what the use of a gun at a presidential meeting is? I mean how would a member of the public expect to use it? Seriously? Who or what would he use it against? I mean it's not for target shooting is it? Or hunting vermin.
Am I allowed a guess?
a) Intimidation
b) Because I can
c) My penis is small so this makes me feel better about myself.

Or all of the above.
If you feel that guns are penis extensions, what does that say about your desire to castrate everyone?

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 9:34 pm
Just keep singin'!

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
If you feel that guns are penis extensions, what does that say about your desire to castrate everyone?
HE doesn't feel that guns are penis extenision.. The guys toting the guns around think that...because they aren't secure enough about their own penises. Presumably, if they were, they wouldn't need to carry around giant guns.

Nothing to do with castration at all. Everything to do with insecurity about one's manhood and the need to carry something as a substitute.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 9:37 pm
bioalchemist

Though those that let their balls do all their thinking might benefit from castration... =:)

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 9:51 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

There's a scene in Superbad where one of the two cops says that having a gun is like having a second cock. I think that's the reason a lot of people have guns, to be honest. At least, those that carry concealed guns in public. Don't know what to say about people who carry around shotguns or assault rifles. :D Perhaps there's an inverse relationship between the size of the penis and the size of the gun.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 10:57 pm
bioalchemist

Maybe we should go to a demo and ask.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 11:16 pm
Best friends forever

C_G first.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 26 Aug , 2009 11:37 pm
Daydream Believer

There's a whole lot of people in south central LA, ok a lot of Black, African American, used to be the Black Panthers (both of them) Obama lovin' people, in south central LA who have a lot more bigger and better guns than the rednecks.

'nuff said.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 1:50 pm

Firearms have nothing to do with genitals! What's wrong with you people? :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 2:30 pm

Maria is correct. Firearms having nothing to do with genitals. And for some people on the far right it looks like they have nothing to do with using ones brain either.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/08/ ... 04806.html
Quote:
Associated Press
Idaho GOP leader has no concealed weapons permit
Associated Press, 08.21.09, 06:41 PM EDT

BOISE, Idaho --

An Idaho Republican Party leader charged in 4th District Court with assault with a deadly weapon doesn't have permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Challis McAffee, an Idaho Republican Party Central Committee member and District 16 chairman, was arrested Tuesday.

Robert Lutes told police in Meridian, Idaho, that McAffee retrieved a .357 Magnum revolver from the passenger side of his car where it had been concealed beneath a cloth.

McAffee, who at the time of the altercation was working for Wells Fargo & Co. documenting homes where mortgages are delinquent, pointed the gun at Lutes, according to Lutes' account.

McAffee doesn't have a license to carry a concealed weapon, Ada County Sheriff's spokeswoman Andrea Dearden said Friday.

McAffee didn't immediately return a phone call.

He was released from jail Thursday after posting a portion of his $50,000 bond.
A radio report also indicated McAfee was one of the teabagger organizers from last April.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 3:17 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

MariaHobbit wrote:
Firearms have nothing to do with genitals! What's wrong with you people? :Q
Well, I think we were mostly joking (there's nothing "wrong" with any of us :roll: ), but I think there's some truth to it, for some people who own guns. It's a subconscious thing. Like buying a really fast sports car. Many people own firearms for practical purposes, but a man who brings a handgun to a presidential event is not using it for a practical purpose. He's using it for one of the reasons Tosh mentioned, and most likely (IMO) because of some sort of insecurity--penis size or otherwise.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Posted: Thu 27 Aug , 2009 4:42 pm
Waiting for winter

sauronsfinger wrote:
Maria is correct. Firearms having nothing to do with genitals. And for some people on the far right it looks like they have nothing to do with using ones brain either.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/08/ ... 04806.html
But, this is a law-abiding legally-armed citizen, so he is not required to obey the law, because as every legally-armed citizen knows, it's only the ones who break the law who are not-legally-armed citizens. Or something.

[ img ]

I am a child, I'll last a while.
You can't conceive
of the pleasure in my smile.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 13 of 16  [ 301 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 15 16 »
Jump to: