board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Minister- Obama should die and go to hell

Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 124 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Minister- Obama should die and go to hell
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 7:35 pm

When I was in the ninth grade, the world stopped one day when John F. Kennedy was killed in Dallas Texas on November 22, 1963. The American right wing, led by the John Birch Society and other hate groups, had made JFK a target of their hate and created an environment of hostility to the President. Its happening again folks.

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/BREAK ... ENT-TO-DIE
Quote:
BREAKING NEWS

PASTOR OF GUN TOTER AT OBAMA EVENT PRAYS FOR PRESIDENT TO DIE
August 28, 2009

Arizona minister Steven Anderson (left) and member of his congregation (Chris Broughton) to the right. Pastor Anderson said he wants the President to die.(NATIONAL) -- Chris Broughton, the man who brought an assault rifle and handgun to the President Obama event in Arizona last week, had attended a fiery anti-Obama sermon in a church the day before the event, at which his Pastor Steven Anderson said he was going to "pray for Barack Obama to die and go to hell", pastor Anderson told the web site TPMmuckraker.

Pastor Anderson said Broughton had informed him about his planned show of arms at the Obama event, but added "he (Broughton) planned out the AR15 thing long before he heard that sermon.”

Pastor Anderson’s sermon was delivered Sunday August 16th at the fundamentalist Faithful Word Baptist Church in Tempe, AZ.

"I don't obey Barack Obama. And I'd like Barack Obama to melt like a snail tonight," pastor Anderson said in the sermon.

The sermon, titled "Why I Hate Barack Obama" also contained virulent anti-gay themes.

Anderson told TPMmuckraker that Broughton joined the church about three months ago. The pastor said he encouraged Broughton to make sure he would not run afoul of any federal laws and insisted he was not encouraging acts of violence toward the president.

"No where in the sermon did I advocate vigilantism," Anderson said. "It's a spiritual battle. I'd rather have him die of natural causes anyway, that way he's not some martyr. I'm praying for him to die just so he gets what he deserves."

The connection between Broughton and Anderson was first pointed out by the Phoenix New Times. During an appearance on a radio show hosted by Alex Jones, whom some have called a conspiracy theorist, Broughton mentioned that Anderson was his pastor.

Pastor Anderson in a sermon inspired by one of King David's prayers against his enemies (from the bible) compared President Obama to a slug or snail and wished he could pour salt on him:

“Yeah, God appointed him to destroy this country for the wickedness of the United States of America…but let me tell you something: I don't love Barack Obama. I don't respect Barack Obama. I don't obey Barack Obama. And I'd like Barack Obama to melt like a snail tonight. Because he needs to recompense, he needs to reap what he's sown.

You see, any Christian will tell you that someone who commits murder should get the death penalty. Because that's what it says in Genesis Chapter 9, that's what it says in the Mosaic Law, that's what it teaches us throughout the Bible…and when Barack Obama is gonna push his partial birth abortion, his salty saline solution abortion, hey, he deserves to be punished for what he's done…Nope. I'm not gonna pray for his good. I'm going to pray that he dies and goes to hell. When I go to bed tonight, that's what I'm going to pray. And you say, 'Are you just saying that?' No. When I go to bed tonight, Steven L. Anderson is going to pray for Barack Obama to die and go to hell.”

The pastor also equated the President with Hitler, Stalin, and Jeffrey Dahmer, the late serial killer and practicing cannibal.

Broughton was the man filmed and photographed at the President's Arizona stop recently with a loaded military weapon strapped to his back. Now we find out he had attended the sermon of a minister who openly prayed for the death of President Obama and fondly looked forward to Obama going to hell. The Secret Service admits that death threats against the President are up 400% over previous presidents.

This is scary as hell. CNN had audio of the actual sermon and I will post it as soon as the CNN website puts it up.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject: Re: Minister- Obama should die and go to hell
Posted: Fri 28 Aug , 2009 9:11 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

In the words of Stephen Fry - Religion. Shit it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Sat 29 Aug , 2009 4:33 am
You are hearing me talk

But to do that, you'd have to swallow it first.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sat 29 Aug , 2009 11:33 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Well, having been on both sides of the fence, I have to agree with Fry. And Liddy.

That said, I don't think religion in itself is bad, any more than I think that people in themselves are bad. But it's abused a hell of a lot, as the above article demonstrates. That people who think like that have the gall to call themselves Christian makes me ashamed that I was one...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 29 Aug , 2009 1:38 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sat 29 Aug , 2009 4:39 pm

*yoink*

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 5:46 am
Insolent Pup

Until religion starts proving that it has some value, I must conclude that religion has been poisoned, and the only way to fix the problem is to sever the limb. Religion makes the nicest people into frothing hypocrites. Forget shitting it, just eat shit.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 10:08 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I'd hesitate to say it is religion. Religion is what one makes of it. Good can come from religion. I think this comes from the politicisation of religion teamed up with a need to express a hatred of the 'other', be it communism, racial minorities, abortion, gun control - whatever the preachers decide basically. The way to express a certain form of religion is to express anger.
The basic problem of all religion is that it takes the opinions of humans and poses those opinions as the will of the creator and mover of the universe. So you don't oppose the person you oppose the greatest force there is. It's a short step from there to characterising opposition to that opinion as evil or satanic.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 11:18 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
Until religion starts proving that it has some value
Religion itself having value, or what this minister has said?

Crucifer, *clink* ;)

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 4:05 pm

Too late. It's now my profile pic on facebook...

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 30 Aug , 2009 4:46 pm

*clink* :drunk:

:P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Mon 31 Aug , 2009 12:53 pm

Wheeee! :toast:

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 31 Aug , 2009 1:18 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Can I just say that it's really funny to look at the last few posts, the title of the thread, and nothing else? :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Rinon
Posted: Mon 31 Aug , 2009 8:27 pm
the other half of the dyblamic duo

Tosh, that's a very good way of putting it. Opinions that become divine right quickly lead to the characterization of opposing ones as... well, divine wrong.

All of these people sending so much hate to Obama,... do they fail to realize that most likely no President would be all that popular right now? The economy sucks, people are scrounging, and one person is not going to change that, especially in weeks or months. I just hope the secret service is good at what it does...

Elsha, it's funniest to imagine the actual people behind the posts saying it. Although I guess that's what you did.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 1:02 am
Insolent Pup

If a small child uses his ball to annoy people on a plane, do you point out to the child that there are more constructive ways to play, or take it away?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 1:08 pm

Is that in response to the question I asked, or unrelated?

If so, I would say there's a difference between child's play and something adults consciously make a choice to take part in. Also, taking the ball away from them if they're misusing it is much different from destroying all balls for everyone regardless of how responsible they were being. If I got the comparison right.
Rinon wrote:
Elsha, it's funniest to imagine the actual people behind the posts saying it.
You know me, always wishing death and destruction for all.

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 6:22 pm
Insolent Pup

That is a good point, E. I should have gone with nuclear bombs. If one person misuses it, most people agree that it is fine to destroy all of them so no one can use it. If religion would like to prove more useful, then I will take into consideration before destroying them all.

I know my stance is myopic. I don't pretend to be open-minded towards religion. I'm not anymore. From a discussion in another thread it is clear to me that my stance is not shared, nor agreed with on this board. I am adding this to my post to avoid being asked inane questions about blocking my ears when I walk by a church. I keep waiting for this passion of ideology to provoke some good in today's world, but from my perspective this passion is directed towards hate and intolerance. Sure individual participants break from the mould, and this is the case with most individuals, but the passion on a macro level doesn't do this. In years prior, religion (christianity for example) provoked beautiful works of art, and music. Today we have Obama with a hitler mustache, and Kenny Chesney songs. Today a preacher yells "burn the fags" (or another phrase), and the echo chamber crowd cheers, and chants back. Individuals say that that is a crazy position, or that they don't agree, but the dialogue doesn't leave the confines of the individual's vicinity. Then a gay man is found lifeless, tied to a post. His mother can't have an open casket funeral because his face is beaten so badly. Religion isn't to blame, the individuals are, but religion is fueling the individuals. It's a cycle.

This is my crusade against organized religion. You can have a personal relationship with whatever you want, but be wary of religion. Nothing good has come from it for a while.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and frankly I don't care if you do. I don't care if you don't see me as open-minded. In my mind, I've given religion the opportunity, and it continues to fail. I recognize that I can't actually destroy religion because I am not superman, or batman, and have no affiliation with the justice league. You don't have to come to my side of the table, but this is what my table looks like.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 7:23 pm
Just keep singin'!

Good post, TED.

Sorry if my question in the other thread seemed "inane." I was trying (and obviously failing) to point out the many good and beautiful things that religion has produced in the past...such as cathedrals and works of art.

But now you have done that yourself in this post.

Surprisingly, I agree with much of what you say. I find that when any human organization becomes too powerful, it also tends to become corrupt. That includes many organized religions. And much hate has been spread "in the name of...." whoever.

However, not all of them are the same and some actively strive to do good. You might have a bit of time for the Quakers, should you care to investigate. ;-)

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 7:33 pm
Best friends forever

The religion that built the great cathedrals and inspired lovely works of art is the same religion that herded Jews into synagogues and set them on fire. Several times, actually. That burned "heretics" and "heathens". That went to war for CENTURIES to "cleanse" Jerusalem from the infidel. That burned harmless old women as witches. That sold indulgences and benefices, and oppressed the poor and bled the rich. That taught (and still does teach) that sex is sinful and the human body is hateful. That women are "sacks of shit" who lure men into wickedness.

Ach. Don't get me started.

I'm with you, TED.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 8:02 pm
Just keep singin'!

vison wrote:
The religion that built the great cathedrals and inspired lovely works of art is the same religion that herded Jews into synagogues and set them on fire.
True. Sadly and horrifically true.

Does that prevent you from appreciating/enjoying the cathedrals, artworks and music? I am asking honestly.

I get enormous pleasure from listening to Bach's B Minor Mass, or Mozart's Requiem or Handel's Messiah. I love the architecture in the great cathedrals and thought St Peter's Basilica was one of the most incredible buildings I had ever seen. I wept when I viewed the "Pieta" by Michelangelo.

How could something that produced such horror also produce such beauty? Is there even a way to answer that question?

Of course, the works of art, the music, the buildings and so on were usually designed/created by an individual or a group of individuals. The horrors were perpetuated by an organization. Maybe that's the answer.

I do not know. But both the horror and the beauty are real and valid.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 7  [ 124 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 57 »
Jump to: