board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Political Tactics

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Political Tactics
Posted: Mon 31 Aug , 2009 11:27 pm

There exists a political principle that you should find the most extreme and radical members of the opposition and treat them as if they are the majority and core of the opposition. If you find a whole four people holding some radical viewpoint (in a nation of about 300 million people) those four people represent the entire opposite party.

I've been seeing that a lot here lately.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: Re: Political Tactics
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 12:56 am
Insolent Pup

Stop it. There aren't four of you libertarians here.

That is a popular tactic on Fox News, and certain MSNBC programs.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 1:11 am

from TED
Quote:
Stop it. There aren't four of you libertarians here.
If there were it would be a county convention.

from CG's opening post
Quote:
There exists a political principle that you should find the most extreme and radical members of the opposition and treat them as if they are the majority and core of the opposition. If you find a whole four people holding some radical viewpoint (in a nation of about 300 million people) those four people represent the entire opposite party.

CG has discovered that all the extremist wacko stories being posted here are entirely fictional. We are making them up just to discredit the radical right wing fringe made up of birthers, libertarians, deathers, republicans and medicare and social security recipients who want the government to stay out of their lives. I feel so bad that we were caught like this.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 2:01 am

sauronsfinger wrote:
CG has discovered that all the extremist wacko stories being posted here are entirely fictional.
You can either quote where I wrote that they are fictional or you can admit you just lied and apologize.

I don't hold you up as a representative of the entire Democratic Party because I don't engage in saying the extremist radical nutjobs are the mainstream.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 01 Sep , 2009 2:09 am

You really truly absolutely do not have even the slightest shred of humor do you CG? Not one little tiny iota of humor. What a sad way to go through life. Of course, I am not the first nor the only one to point this out to you.

Of course the incidents I and others have brought up are true and from the news. The absurdity of your post is that you take it upon yourself to castigate people for REPORTING THE TRUTH with the indignation normally reserved for someone telling lies or making it up out of whole cloth. You mock the reporting of the truth. You find fault with reporting the truth. That is amazing. Reporting the truth is something you feel is to be attacked for political reasons. Amazing!!!!

When I and others put up stories here from current news events, we do not invent them for political purposes. The minister who wants Obama to die and go to hell is real. The congregant from his church who showed up the next day at an Obama event with a military weapon ready for use is real. The man with a loaded pistol in New England at another Obama event is real. The person who painted a swastika on the sign of an African-american congressperson is real. Kenneth Gladney shaking down his own supporters for medical donations when he actually had medical insurance is real. Hundreds of birthers disrupting meetings with rowdy and undemocratic tactics are real. People using their own disabled children to distupt meetings are real. People turning a photo of President Obama into Adolf Hitler or the Joker from Batman are real. The tea baggers are real. The death panel scare screamers are real. An elected US Senator using a phrase about killing grandma is real.

Your problem should not be with those here who report reality on this board but with those who are listed in the previous paragraph.

If anyone here wanted to really "find the most extreme and radical members of the opposition and treat them as if they are the majority and core of the opposition" all we would need to do is to go to a place like the Ron Paul forums - Liberty Forest - and pick almost at random on any day any number of posts advocating all sorts of things which are both extreme and radical. But I and others here leave that sort of thing alone. We restrict ourselves to the real world and real news stories about real events.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: