The Last Homely Site on the Web

Planned rightwing coup against President Obama

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 16 posts ]
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Planned rightwing coup against President Obama
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2009 8:13 pm

According to people involved, this is now in the planning stage

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/10/08/ant ... -violence/

So either this is seriously scary stuff that poses a real threat to our elected President or some radical rightwing nut wants to throw a scare into the nation and risk bringing the wrath of the US Secret Service down upon himself and his 200 associates. Either way, this needs some serious investigation.

Listen to the video of the phone call to the radio station. This does not sound like some crank call. This is scary.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Planned rightwing coup against President Obama
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2009 8:25 pm

I'm not clicking on that link. I don't want the Secret Service investigating me!

;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 08 Oct , 2009 8:28 pm

Maria... okay... here is the text of the link without the phone call
Quote:
Last week, the right-wing media outlet Newsmax — which receives 4 million unique monthly visitors and 130,000 print subscribers — published a column by conservative author John Perry arguing that a military coup could “resolve” the “radical left…Obama problem.” After being widely criticized, Newsmax retracted the column. However, the column appears to have encouraged an already angry group of anti-Obama radicals who have been plotting violence against the government.

While discussing the Newsmax column on his XM Sirius radio show last week, Michelangelo Signorile heard from a caller, “Jim from Oklahoma,” who explained that the idea of a coup is already being planned by a group of at least 200 people:

Pulling our government down, pulling our President out, and putting him back where he should be [...] [using] the right to bear arms, it’s in the Constitution. [...] We need a coup, there needs to be a coup and if the United States military won’t do it, we’ll do it.

Jim confirmed that he was “dead serious.” Although he was coy about specific details, Jim said that he was motivated by homophobia and an interest in bringing back slavery. A second caller confessed that her own mother has been scheming against the government because she has been captivated by racist thoughts and a belief that “Jesus is coming to overthrow Barack Obama.” She pleaded for people to recognize the extremist threat against Obama. Watch it:

While the intentions of these anonymous calls are difficult to confirm, they are indicative of a pattern of violent rhetoric being voiced by unrepentant conservative figures:

– One of the paying sponsors of the 9/12 anti-Obama rally in September was the National Association for Rural Landowners, a group that references the incidents at Waco and Ruby Ridge to call for attacks on “government entities” and liberals. In a YouTube video posted in July, the group makes the case for a secession, followed by a violent civil war.

– Calling the government “destructive of our rights,” the founder of the popular conservative website FreeRepublic called for “removing from office the President of the United States, the Vice President of the United States and all U.S. Senators and U.S. Representatives effective immediately” in July. Republican lawmakers, like Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC), regularly use the website as a portal for talking points.

– Tea parties have been a constant venue for right-wing rage and calls for violence against the government. In April, Rep. Michael McCaul (R-TX) told a crowd, “Thomas Jefferson once said that the tree of liberty will be fed with the blood of tyrants and patriots. You are the patriots.” ThinkProgress documented similar rhetoric from Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) and from rallies attended by Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA). Americans for Prosperity, a group funded Koch Industries’ David Koch that works to plan tea parties, has sponsored speakers comparing health reform to the Holocaust.

– Prominent Republican politicians have framed top Obama agenda items as deserving violent resistance. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) has said, “I want people…armed and dangerous” against clean energy reform. Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) has floated the idea of secession in response to policies like the economic stimulus.

– Leading right-wing media outlets have called for “revolution.” Glenn Beck has hosted segments predicting “violent tax revolts,” Michael Savage often says, “We’re going to have a revolution in this country,” radio show host Jim Quinn has called for “riots” because “our country was built on revolution, and it’s about time we took it back.”

There have already been incidents of violence motivated by right-wing hate-speech. Richard Poplawski, who killed three police officers in April, posted videos of Glenn Beck on neo-Nazi websites and had said he was scared of the government. The Southern Policy Law Center has documented a steady rise in militia activity, and today reported on a new ominous YouTube video warning President Obama: “If you stay…‘We, The People’ will systematically dismantle you, destroy you and reclaim what is rightfully ours.”

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 2:43 am
Best friends forever

Nut bars.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 3:09 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Agreed.

I'm sure the Secret Service is all over this.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 6:52 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I'm sure Jim from Oklahoma failed his IQ test because he kept dripping saliva on the answer sheet.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 5:19 pm
Insolent Pup

What is scarier: that right-wing protesters and crazies think that is perfectly acceptable to overthrow the government because their guy is not in, or that elected officials like Michelle Bachman actively encourage this type of response?

Is there a fucking brain inside Michelle Bachman's head?! She's either the stupidest fucking woman on Capital Hill, or she's a manipulative cunt that does not believe in democracy... Dear women of the US, it really harms you when assholes like this one are "representing" your gender in the government. I say the same for men with regards to Beck and Rush and Hannity and O'Reilly.

If I remember the past 8 years correctly, the government wasn't dangerous to our rights (in the minds of right wingers) when King George was arresting dissenters and his court were actively defining what it meant to be American, thereby splitting the country in twain between "Americans" and un-Americans. I don't think America has truly recovered from that split (not that I expect it).

Let's have a civil war, right wingers. Let's do it, so you can use your bullshit, jingoistic false patriotism to prove yourselves undeserving and ignorant on what "demockracy" really stands for.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 5:41 pm
Best friends forever

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
What is scarier: that right-wing protesters and crazies think that is perfectly acceptable to overthrow the government because their guy is not in, or that elected officials like Michelle Bachman actively encourage this type of response?

Is there a fucking brain inside Michelle Bachman's head?! She's either the stupidest fucking woman on Capital Hill, or she's a manipulative cunt that does not believe in democracy... Dear women of the US, it really harms you when assholes like this one are "representing" your gender in the government. I say the same for men with regards to Beck and Rush and Hannity and O'Reilly.

If I remember the past 8 years correctly, the government wasn't dangerous to our rights (in the minds of right wingers) when King George was arresting dissenters and his court were actively defining what it meant to be American, thereby splitting the country in twain between "Americans" and un-Americans. I don't think America has truly recovered from that split (not that I expect it).

Let's have a civil war, right wingers. Let's do it, so you can use your bullshit, jingoistic false patriotism to prove yourselves undeserving and ignorant on what "demockracy" really stands for.
Amen.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 6:51 pm
Daydream Believer

I agree with Vison. Amen.

The right-wing it seems is just looking for any and every excuse to take this country into a civil war. Mostly because they didn't get Palin elected and now some man of color is President. And God surely must be on their side. And blah blah blah. They remind me more and more of horrible spoiled two year olds who can only express them selves with angry temper tantrums. Bill Cosby in his Himself bit said they had a three year old that would simply take everyone else's stuff and say MINE MINE MINE, this is exactly what Michelle and the teabaggers remind me of. They don't really give a shit about the country, just that their side lost and Obama is the Devil. They don't care if Obama is doing some of the same things Bush did, becuase when Bush did it it was the right thing to do, now Obama does it and he's ruining the country. Or if Obama does something different than their agenda he's wrong. Next time the GOP gets into office you can damn well better believe I am going to protest every fart the POTUS makes in the White House, every breath he or she takes I will be out with my misspelled signs bitching and moaning about how they are Hitler, or the Devil and are ruining the country, and I am not going to care if they are doing a good job. And I will bring my gun too.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 9:07 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Twats. Immature, underdeveloped, twats. Simple as that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 11 Oct , 2009 12:15 am
Best friends forever

Lidless, that's insulting to every twat in the world. ;)

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 11 Oct , 2009 10:58 pm

I remember these conversations, about a coup restoring the republic, under Bush as well.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 11 Oct , 2009 11:33 pm

CG - perhaps you can back that up with some links of proof which support that allegation.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sun 11 Oct , 2009 11:48 pm
Insolent Pup

I don't recall congressmen during the Bush years encouraging people to stockpile weapons (like Bachman). I'd love to see some links to coup attempts during the Bush years.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2016 4:21 pm

I think the failure of this coup to materialize over the last 8 years shows this alleged coup was nothing more than a way to scare people.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 30 Nov , 2016 4:38 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I hope that all such threats fail to materialize. There has to be a better way to go about things. I hear rumors of right-wing people threatening to resort to violence if a recount occurs and Clinton wins. :nono: If there are rumors of the opposite, I haven't heard them, but I would give the same reaction: :nono:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 16 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: