The Last Homely Site on the Web

President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 12:12 pm

Quote:
(CNN) -- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.

Less than nine months into his presidency, Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it honored Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

The president had not been mentioned as among front-runners for the prize, and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, uttered Obama's name.

The president, who was awakened to be told he had won, said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official.

The Nobel committee recognized Obama's efforts to solve complex global problems including working toward a world free of nuclear weapons.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said.

Jagland said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease.
Cannot wait to hear Limbaugh and Beck on this today. Hell will indeed have frozen over for them. I will celebrate with a cup of tea. ;)

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 12:31 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Okay, seriously? Maybe I could see this years down the road, provided he has a successful presidency, but this just seems very odd to me. He really hasn't done enough to warrant a Nobel Peace Prize yet. :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 12:37 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

It's probably the Middle East thing... I've not seen a President of the US reach out that way in my lifetime.

I'm a little nonplussed too, but for the most part, pleased. :)

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 12:39 pm

It shows how much the rest of the world is pinning their hopes of a peaceful world on the words of President Obama. Rather than an award for the past, much of it is an award for the future based on the hope of today. Thats my guess. Which could be wrong. :)

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 12:55 pm
The best things in life are not things

Of course it is a proud day for America - a much needed personal boost and encouragement for the President that the world thinks he is heading in the right direction, but a heck of a lot of people are going to be scratching their heads and asking what he's actually achieved to deserve it. I read that the nominations closing date was Feb 2009, only a month after he took office. Obama certainly has the right qualities ...but it is maybe too early, and gives a political colour to the prize...Quite possibly it will put Obama in a tough spot now: can he possibly accept it or refuse it without offending somebody? ;)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 1:12 pm
Daydream Believer

Maybe he won it because, unlike Bush, he actually believes in talking to other countries instead of the "if you're not with us, you're against us" bullshit. Therefore the rest of the entire planet isn't wretching at the thought of being friends with the US.

I do imagine Beck and Limbaugh will do some big time whining about this, how it proves he's either Hitler or the Anti-Christ or some other crap they will pull out of their hind ends to rally the teabaggers.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 1:18 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I think I agree with this, for the most part.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 1:25 pm
Daydream Believer

I agree Pips I do think they awarded it to him becuase they were trying to tell the American people Bush and his policies were not highly accepted by the rest of planet. It wasn't so much of what Obama has done, it was what Bush did that ruined the US standing in the world. I don't think we Americans have any idea how much Bush's mentality hurt the rest of the world and America for that matter. I think this award was given to Obama as a thank you for not being Bush, not so much as for the efforts he has made. But then again just coming in with something other than a Bully attitude maybe enough for the rest of the world to say thanks for at least trying to consider the rest of us, and even though you haven't done anything yet we consider you a peace maker becuase you're not asking us to send our young men and women off to a war that is for Halliburton.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 1:27 pm
Aspiring to heresy

IWhat's he done so far that merits a prestigious prize like this? I mean, I like him and I was glad that he won, but I don't think he's earned it quite yet.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 2:18 pm
You are hearing me talk

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to award it to the American voters. The fact that we were willing to elect him says more about the progress peace has made than anything the man himself has done (yet). And I kind of suspect that's the angle they were going for.

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 2:20 pm

This is of course just a plot to get Obama to come to Norway. ;)

I don't think it's a bad decision. Not an obvious decision, but not a bad one. I think Jagland gives some good reasons here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/world ... ml?_r=3&hp

I don't think one should underestimate the effect of the leader of the mightiest country in the world "creat[ing] a new international climate" and "strengthen[ing] international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples". I think Obama has definitely done that. And though it might not have solved any spesific conflict (yet), I think it is a very important contribution to world peace overall. People is asking what he has done, and saying that he has done nothing but talk. But talking is not unimporant. And unless we have do talk, peace does not have a chance at all.
Quote:
“Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics,” the committee wrote. “Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play.”

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 2:24 pm
bioalchemist

Jude wrote:
IWhat's he done so far that merits a prestigious prize like this? I mean, I like him and I was glad that he won, but I don't think he's earned it quite yet.
My thoughts exactly.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 2:45 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Dave_LF wrote:
Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to award it to the American voters. The fact that we were willing to elect him says more about the progress peace has made than anything the man himself has done (yet). And I kind of suspect that's the angle they were going for.
Yeah, after electing Bush twice you think you deserve a prize for electing Obama? :P

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 2:51 pm
You are hearing me talk

Some sort of "most improved" award, maybe? :halo:

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 2:56 pm

I see Michael Steele, head of the RNC, is already attempting to put out the fire by pissing on the leg of the nation

Quote:
The real question Americans are asking is, “What has President Obama actually accomplished?” It is unfortunate that the president’s star power has outshined tireless advocates who have made real achievements working towards peace and human rights. One thing is certain — President Obama won’t be receiving any awards from Americans for job creation, fiscal responsibility, or backing up rhetoric with concrete action.
I have no problem with the first part about accomplishments. But the last sentence just makes the Chairperson of the Republican National Committee look like a narrow minded extreme partisan who will take any occassion to oppose anything that benefits President Obama even though it is good for America and our image around the world.

Oooops.... I guess that summarizes the RNC for the last nine months. ;)

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 3:13 pm

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks ... 312413.ece

The article's in Norwegian, but it's the Nobel Committee leader Thorbjørn Jagland saying that it would be wrong to wait to give Obama the prize. He says: "Remember the confrontation that characterized the world's political scene only two years ago. With Barack Obama leding the USA there has been a total change in international politics. And this is what the Committee has had in mind when they chose to give him the prize."

He's also saying to those that think it's too soon: "Obama has started a positive development that needs all the support it can get, and this is some of the background for giving him the prize. And if no one reacts now, you might be too late to support this positive development."

He says that sometimes it's necessary for the Committee to move into the realm of realpolitik. And that the Nobel Peace Prizes given to persons like Willy Brandt, Lech Walesa og Mikhail Gorbatsjov all were supporting ongoing political processes. And helped moving the world forward.

I do hope Obama's prize can have some of the same positive effect.

Edit: I hear that's what Obama's saying too, that he's seeing this prize as a support to an ongoing process.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 3:47 pm

Here is the DNC response to Michael Steele and the RNC
Quote:
The Republican Party has thrown in its lot with the terrorists — the Taliban and Hamas this morning — in criticizing the President for receiving the Nobel Peace prize. Republicans cheered when America failed to land the Olympics and now they are criticizing the President of the United States for receiving the Nobel Peace prize — an award he did not seek but that is nonetheless an honor in which every American can take great pride — unless of course you are the Republican Party. The 2009 version of the Republican Party has no boundaries, has no shame and has proved that they will put politics above patriotism at every turn. It’s no wonder only 20 percent of Americans admit to being Republicans anymore – it’s an embarrassing label to claim.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 3:52 pm
Best friends forever

A big surprise. I truly hope that at the end of 2012 he will have been found to have deserved it wholly.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 4:00 pm
You are hearing me talk

sauronsfinger wrote:
Here is the DNC response to Michael Steele and the RNC
Quote:
The Republican Party has thrown in its lot with the terrorists — the Taliban and Hamas this morning — in criticizing the President for receiving the Nobel Peace prize.
Oh that's a big help. :roll:

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 09 Oct , 2009 5:08 pm
Insolent Pup

I think that's a hastily awarded prize, but since you don't campaign for the prize (like you do for the "hearts" of the American voters), I'll say, "congrats to President Obama" and I'm glad that the Nobel Committee made this decision. Hopefully, President Obama lives up to it.

The DNC is right about the RNC. The Republicans are a shell of what they used to be and what they even can be. They oppose Obama so vehemently that I wonder what would happen if he decided to push a truly conservative agenda, would the Republicans implode? Their opposition is hilarious and it is personified by douchefucks like Rush and Beck with their vitriol and baseless comments. Beck recently said that if (as his critics have claimed) he is just acting, then he deserves a daytime Emmy for his performance. So, if he's being dishonest in his rhetoric, we should show him praise for it? Why, Mr. Beck? Is there a depth you will not stoop in your assholery?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 6  [ 107 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
Jump to: