The Last Homely Site on the Web

Earthquake in Haiti

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Wilma
Post subject: Earthquake in Haiti
Posted: Sat 16 Jan , 2010 8:35 pm
Takoyaki is love

Alright, I thought I would start a thread to discuss the current crisis in Haiti, due to an Earthquake that hit on January 12, 2010.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/01/1 ... quake.html

At this point it's the humanitarian effort on saving lives of the people who initially survived the earthquake.
I thought there would be a thread on this already.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject: Re: Earthquake in Haiti
Posted: Sat 16 Jan , 2010 11:46 pm
Aspiring to heresy

The Doctors Without Borders site was down for a couple of days after it happened because of the server demand. It seems to be fixed now.

Here's a list for Canadians where you can donate to Haiti relief: CBC list of relief organizations

The Canadian govenrment is matching donations dollar for dollar.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sat 16 Jan , 2010 11:59 pm
Daydream Believer

:hug:
Thank you Wilma for posting this.

I donated to doctors early on. I wish I could do more. My friend Pierre and his wife adopted three girls from there years ago, the whole family is pretty shaken up.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 17 Jan , 2010 3:27 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

We've been discussing it in the main chat thread, Wilma.

We sponsor a little girl who lives right near the epicenter. I haven't heard anything yet, which is hard, but I certainly understand. I've contributed through the ministry that is already on the ground there (and has been for many years), providing aid. I was glad to hear today that they have clean well water, and they are distributing it.

Another good ministry I like is Samaritan's Purse, and they are also on the ground now providing aid.

Doctors Without Borders seems like a great organization, too.

It's frustrating that so many groups want to help and can't. :( We've had a search and rescue unit stationed here at Wright-Patt AFB set to go each day, and they've been deferred over and over. I know it's a logistics issue, but it's still frustrating. They could be finding people and saving them! :(

ETA: Here's the latest report from Samaritan's Purse:

We’ve got more planes coming in each day with medicine, equipment, and personnel on board. We will have three to four flights a day now for the remainder of this week. We’re going to have enough material for 6,000 temporary shelters by the end of next week. Water is a tremendous issue. By the end of next week we’ll be able to produce close to a half-million gallons of fresh water a day.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 17 Jan , 2010 7:21 am
Takoyaki is love

Thank you for posting this Lali. I have been watching news coverage and then I take a break sometimes. Knowing how hot it gets in the Carribean, and knowing everything is built out of concrete just well it makes me sad since the survival of those trapped really does not look good, even if equipment was on the ready and help arrived immediately.

Also it feels close to home as I am a West Indian too. :bawl:
The Carribbean connections club at my school is planning a fund raiser and stuff (one of the execs is my new roommate.) But that will be a while from now.
The Governor General of Canada (she is Haitian) did a speech the day after the earthquake trying to hold back tears. It was so hard to watch.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sun 17 Jan , 2010 1:15 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

:hug:
We put a chunk of money into the joint aid agency appeal yesterday. Otherwise I feel helpless and trust to good organisation and distribution.
UK firemen with tracker dogs went out to search for victims.

One thing to watch out for will be negative stories. Beware of them. Many will be proved to be false. In fact start watching for them. Robertson, the **** is just one, there will be more.

Once again :hug:

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 18 Jan , 2010 2:16 pm
Daydream Believer

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/haitiquaker ... aaustralia

Bless those Aussies, they have their priorities right.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 18 Jan , 2010 3:38 pm

:bawl: That was awesome!

Yes, Tosh, I'm very worried about Kethlene. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 18 Jan , 2010 5:58 pm

Fantastic news!!! New Missions just updated their page to say that if we hadn't received a phone call from them our sponsored child was safe and alive! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thank God! :bawl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Mon 18 Jan , 2010 7:27 pm
The best things in life are not things

Lali :hug: :banana: That's fantastic news :thewave:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Tue 19 Jan , 2010 1:18 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I donated to MSF as well. Right now the biggest problem is not a lack of donations or aid, but blocked infrastructure. Port-au-Prince's airport was never large, and the control tower was damaged, so it is difficult to coordinate incoming flights. The roads are almost impossible to traverse. :(

I want to spend my Spring Break there helping with the relief effort, but I'll have to see whether or not civilians are even needed at that point. It may take a lot longer for non-medical and non-military personnel to be helpful. If I can't go, I will just donate more money.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Tue 19 Jan , 2010 2:30 pm
The best things in life are not things

Our local Bishop (Chichester Diocese) has asked that our church's donations of money to bring emergency relief should be directed through the Disasters Emergency Committee DEC who are coordinating the British aid efforts or Christian Aid.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Tue 19 Jan , 2010 3:40 pm
Best friends forever

That's great, Lalaith. :hug:

I gave through the MCC, but I like this outfit, too: http://shelterbox.org/

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Wed 20 Jan , 2010 4:05 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 20 Jan , 2010 6:01 pm

Yeah. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Wed 20 Jan , 2010 8:04 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I was afraid of this. :(

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 3:25 pm

(cross-posted with HoF)

Here is an interesting update from Samaritan's Purse. I never thought about prisoners being on the loose.

(I'm not going to edit it; this is a Christian organization, so he does talk about spiritual things a bit.)
Quote:
January 20, 2010

Carlos Castaneda is Samaritan’s Purse Canada’s international regional director for West Africa and Haiti for Operation Christmas Child. He is in Haiti to help with the relief efforts. This is his third blog post from Haiti.

The day began very early yesterday. With the bright light of dawn, one of our planes came with more cargo aid.

I want to share a very neat story that encouraged our team very much. The pilot of one of the planes doing the runs from Florida to Port au Prince asked me to come on board as all the cargo was on the ground. With a big smile he handed me an envelope and said, “this is from our company to Samaritan’s Purse.” He is one of the small airline owners. I counted the bills and it was a very generous gift, my heart felt so warm. We sat down in a small area by the cockpit and chatted for a little while. The juice and muffins he offered me were delicious, especially after a night of vigil at the airport. Then, with his index finger, he pointed to a small crucifix hanging in a corner. “Do you know the name of my plane,” he asked. “The bread of God.” The day before, we had talked for some time, and I really enjoyed his stories and outlook on life. So just before I climbed down the narrow ladder of his cargo plane, I asked him whether he mind if I prayed for him. I put my arm around him and prayed. We both had watery eyes as we said good bye.

As I had mentioned earlier, the overwhelming response of the international community to this disaster is felt in all of its force here at the airport. Bolivia arrived today with aid. Once again, I felt so touched thinking of a country with so many needs like Bolivia, and yet being present here in Haiti.

Tensions have increased as the needs of the population get more desperate. This morning there were more military reinforcements by the gate we use to get in and out of the airport. Security is an issue we all are concerned about, with many inmates are on the loose as prison buildings collapsed during the earthquake, besides the heightened incentives for looting and lawlessness.

Our team is working very hard. Distributions of plastic sheeting for temporary housing, blankets and basic survival kits are being distributed through our local partners and churches. Tomorrow, the water technical team will be travelling to some of the areas Southwest of Port au Prince, where there is much damage, in order to assess the needs for water. We continue supplying the Baptist Haiti Mission Hospital in Fermat with much needed materials. The operational capacity of the hospital represents a lifeline for many people that otherwise would not be able to have access to medical help.

Please continue supporting us with your prayers and with your financial help.

Carlos

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 26 Jan , 2010 1:58 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Quote:
Seven-year-old's bike ride raises $80,500 in one day

Agence France-Presse

A seven-year-old British boy told Sunday how he raised more than $80,500 U.S. in a day for survivors of the Haiti earthquake by doing a sponsored bike ride.

Charlie Simpson set out to collect just $800 for a UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) appeal by cycling eight kilometres around his local park in London -- but his efforts inspired hundreds of people to donate online.

"I just think it was quite sad when I saw the pictures on the TV," said the youngster.

His mother, Leonora, helped him create a sponsorship form and said the document quickly spread around the Internet and the enormous sum was donated in one day.

"He really felt strongly about this and thought that something had to be done," she said.

"But what started off as a little cycle round the park with his dad has turned into something a lot bigger than that and we can't believe it.

"I am extremely proud of our Charlie, he's done really well. He's worked hard and he's raised a phenomenal amount of money so we couldn't ask for anything more."

Donations from his JustGiving website go to UNICEF, which is leading emergency relief efforts on water, sanitation, education and nutrition as well as supporting child protection.

UNICEF said it was the first time anyone had collected $80,500 in one day for the fund and the money would make "a huge difference."

"It's always heartwarming when any child starts to respond and there's something quite special about a child in the UK reaching out to the children of Haiti," said spokesman Michael Newsome.

The magnitude 7.0 earthquake, which hit Haiti on Jan. 12, has killed tens of thousands of people.
Wow!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 26 Jan , 2010 2:56 pm

:thumbsup That's awesome!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 12 Jan , 2011 2:32 pm
Aspiring to heresy

It's a year ago today.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: