board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Latest idiocy from Ron Paul in Congress

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Latest idiocy from Ron Paul in Congress
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:04 pm

For those of you who may not follow all this as closely as others, there is a Republican Congressmen in the state of Texas named Ron Paul. Now you may have heard his name in connection with his being the pin-up boy for libertarianism in this country and the champion of all those things that the far conservative right like to embrace.

A few years ago, Paul distinguished himself by being the only member of the House Of Representatives to vote against a resolution honoring the 40th anniversary of the Civil Rights Acts of the mid Sixties. Again, he was the only vote against it. Just to show you how serious he was about civil rights for African Americans, Paul went on record to state that if the same bills came up for a vote now, he would vote NO on them.

Well, Paul is at it again and stands alone. The House of Representatives just voted 411 - 1 to show their support for the people of Haiti in their time of national crisis due to a series of earthquakes that have destroyed much of their island nation. Who was the one vote?
You get three guesses and the first two don't count if you are wrong.

Ron Paul of Texas of course.

Now the real fun part will be watching the verbal gymnastics his supporters will attempt to work explaining why this was not a racist vote and it has nothing in common with his previous votes on Civil Rights even though he voted against people of color on both occassions and stood alone to do it.

Even George Wallace did not stand alone in that school house door when he was Governor of Alabama. But Paul cannot even get an "amen" in the House for his despicable actions.

here it is

BILL TITLE: Expressing condolences to and solidarity with the people of Haiti in the aftermath of the devastating earthquake of January 12, 2010

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll015.xml

this from PoliTex with a quote
Quote:
The House voted today for a resolution "expressing condolences to and solidarity with the people of Haiti" by 411 to 1. The single "no" vote was Rep. Ron Paul, R-Lake Jackson, whose penchant for being the sole vote on non-controverail legislation earned the ob/gyn the title Dr. No.

Asked why Paul voted against the resolution, spokeswoman Rachel Mills said the resolution is "not just about condolences." The text of the resolution -- which is a non-binding sense of Congress statement - includes support for federal government support for the earthquake-devastated nation. "It includes government-to-government aide and he's just not comfortable with that. Haiti's government ranks up there with the most corrupt government in the world."

While the former Libertarian Party standard-bearer and former GOP presidential candidate is taking his anti-government stance to an extreme, Mills insists that "it's not about not being compassionate."

-- Maria Recio
Not enough for you? Check this

http://www.jstor.org/pss/2999062

Ron Paul was the only member of either house of Congress to vote NO in awarding Rosa Parks the Gold Medal for her efforts to break down segregation laws in America. And I am sure race and racial politics had nothing to do with that either. I can hear him right now saying something like this....

I am not denying you civil rights because you are African American, just because I love liberty..... or some crap like that. My words - not his - but I bet the spirit is right.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Latest idiocy from Ron Paul in Congress
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:25 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

And the text of the entire bill would be where?

The reason given by his spokeswoman seem plausible. (I'm not saying that I necessarily agree, mind you.)

ETA: Just now seeing what you wrote at the end. If he is racist, then shame on him. But does that have to be the reason he voted against the bill regarding Haiti? (If he is a racist, though, then he won't get my support.)

Last edited by LalaithUrwen on Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:28 pm

The spokesperson said Paul did not want to endorse government aid to Haiti or its government. This slimeball always has some fancy ideological doubletalk to try to explain away votes like this. The guy is hopeless.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:31 pm
Insolent Pup

I wouldn't call him racist, but 'no' on all of those resolutions.... that's just douchey, not racist.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:40 pm

TED
at least George Wallace and Bull Connor were up front about their beliefs. They were also douches.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:45 pm

Well, again, though, the tone of your original post just completely turns me off. You may have valid points--maybe Ron Paul is racist. And I'd like to know that, if he is, since I rather liked him in the last election and supported him as far as I could. But I'm definitely not going to take your word for it, and I don't feel like I can trust any of your sources. :shrug: Your bias is too strong.

I wouldn't call him a douche either. I prefer the term "turd." ;) (It sounds to me like he's just being a stickler for inconsequential things, and, personally, that's a huge pet peeve for me.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:51 pm

Nope, LalaithUrwen, he's not racist. He also votes against aid for white people. He actually means what he says. He's quite consistent and isn't hiding behind double-talk.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:53 pm

Lalaith
my biased source was the official record of the House vote and the comments from his own spokesperson. if I or my sources are factually incorrect about the voting record of Ron Paul I have every confidence they would be corrected with all due speed right here. But that is not in dispute and it stands as reported.

Strom Thurmond mean what he said about civil rights.

Eugene Bull Connor meant what he said about civil rights.

Ross Barnett meant what he said about civil rights.

George Wallace meant what he said about civil rights.

And isn't it ironic that what all four of these men meant ends up having the same effect in practical terms that the views of Ron Paul does on the same subject? When somebody wants to deny you equal rights and keep the system in place that is forcing you into second class citizenship, does it really matter what fancy verbage they wrap that in if the effect is the same?

Last edited by sauronsfinger on Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 11:59 pm

If Ron Paul thinks the government shouldn't be involved, he'll vote against a measure or resolution no matter how noble it sounds. He'd vote against the "Flags for Widows and Orphans" measure, if it existed, since he would not agree that it is the proper business of the government.

But since consistency is so rare in Washington, he must be using flowery language and double talk to disguise his real agenda. Those who are the most duplicitous always see the same duplicitousness in everyone else.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 12:06 am

I just completed a search of several sites and cannot find one instance where Ron Paul voted against civil rights or equal rights for white people.

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 12:21 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

CG and SF

:poke:

Putting Lalaith's name at the beginning of your post doesn't hide the fact that you are beginning to post against each other.

:nono:

It's still only a few posts, and hasn't yet turned into a big hullabaloo. Let's keep it that way.

kthx

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 12:24 am

sf, I was referring to your link here:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/2999062

I was not referring to your links to the vote (which was nothing more than the vote results--I'd really like to read the language of the resolution itself) and to what the spokeswoman said.

Thanks, CG. Do you have any links that might show the same behavior from Paul, only related to white people or not related to people at all? (That's only if you have the time and the inclination. I could look as well.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 12:30 am

Thanks for clarifying that Lalaith. If that article is factually in error in reporting that Ron Paul voted against honoring Rosa Parks with the medal I would be eager to read it and issue a retraction. I would also edit my post to remove any false information.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 12:38 am

That is not what I said, and you know it. I said that I don't feel like I can trust your sources because of your bias. Let me clarify further. I am suspect of your sources being biased. I doubt seriously that they are lying about whether or not Paul voted against the Rosa Parks issue (I would assume that's true), but they may be distorting his reasons.

There's a difference between lying outright and twisting the facts to fit your own agenda, though they are both dishonest.

With that, I'm done with the discussion. I don't want to be caught in the middle of anything between you and CG.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 12:49 am

Lalaith
if you could cite what you think is wrong about that article, I would certainly listen to your side of the story. Saying you suspect something might be biased is a long way from showing and proving that same bias.

I am sure that Paul has reasons he can voice against this vote. They may even be good ones. What I am saying is that this is not an isolated vote and is part of a larger pattern that repeatedly pits Paul standing alone isolated from every other member of Congress pitting himself against the interests of the Civil Rights community.

When that happens over and over and over again, does the verbal reasoning lessen the sting of the offense?

this is interesting and speaks directly to what you were talking about

http://ronpaulsurvivalreport.blogspot.c ... es-on.html

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 7:46 am
Insolent Pup

It's easy to distrust something about an article. It's a debate to articulate it.

ETA: Here's what this lady said about this Haiti resolution:
Quote:
I rise to support this resolution, which expresses the condolences of the House of Representatives with the people of Haiti following last week’s devastating earthquake. I especially appreciate the fact that this resolution urges multilateral financial institutions to immediately suspend further debt payments from Haiti, and to develop processes to cancel all of Haiti’s remaining debt.
Here's her website Rep. Maxine Waters

Here's Paul's opposition:
Quote:
I rise in reluctant opposition to this resolution. Certainly I am moved by the horrific destruction in Haiti and would without hesitation express condolences to those who have suffered and continue to suffer. As a medical doctor, I have through my career worked to alleviate the pain and suffering of others. Unfortunately, however, this resolution does not simply express our condolences, but rather it commits the US government “to begin the reconstruction of Haiti” and affirms that “the recovery and long-term needs of Haiti will require a sustained commitment by the United States….” I do not believe that a resolution expressing our deep regret and sorrow over this tragedy should be used to commit the United States to a “long-term” occupation of Haiti during which time the US government will provide for the reconstruction of that country
Here's the website I found it Rep. Ron Paul

Here's the bill: BILL!

I don't see the long-term occupation in this bill other than he's against stuff that the bill is just applauding the president for doing. There's a lot of urging, supporting and commending, but no particular actions requested or pushed into law. I still say Paul is just being a douche for the sake of it. Whatevs.

EETA: I picked the first large paragraph on each of these Reps' websites. You can click to read the rest of the statements (they aren't long).

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 2:05 pm

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
It's easy to distrust something about an article. It's a debate to articulate it.
Right, and I don't debate anymore, particularly over politics and especially in this place. :shrug: It's not worth the stress it causes me. I hardly ever comment on anything because I realize some of you enjoy picking this stuff apart, and all I really want to do is express an opinion, ask a question, or gather information. Also, since I am usually in the minority, it's easy for me to feel ganged up on. So, yeah, back to what I said at the beginning--not worth the stress it causes me.

Thanks for the quotes, though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 3:37 pm
Insolent Pup

Are you saying that you don't debate over politics here or is that sarcastic (honest question)? It seems like one style is more acceptable in this forum because people just want to express their opinion without any discussion over it. Am I wrong in my assessment here? I can't say much to your feeling of being ganged up on other than sometimes I don't see it and there aren't really enough participants (in my eyes) to qualify as being ganged up on. I recall some previous threads where you were in the majority. I'm trying to address your whole post so you don't feel that I am picking anything apart.

Sometimes I think this discussion forum should have gone the way of the dodo a long time ago.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 7:00 pm

No, I was being sincere, not sarcastic. I don't debate politics, and I will be quite honest about that and say it's because (a) I don't have the knowledge to do it well and (b) I don't have the desire to obtain the knowledge to do it well. I do try to keep quiet because I realize that people want to debate and discuss, and I really only want to occasionally state an opinion, ask a question, or get information. Poor form? Perhaps, which is why I said I rarely post at all.

In the past, I most definitely feel that those with the minority opinion (to grossly generalize, "Republicans" or "Non-Democrats") have been ganged up on. Does it happen now? Well, no, not so much, because those of us in the minority are even rarer. And, of course, not everyone automatically kicks into "rip and shred" mode when discussing politics. I prefer that, but others prefer the down and dirty style. :shrug: So I'm not sure if your assessment of the forum is right or not. ??

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Fri 22 Jan , 2010 7:40 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I see where both of you are coming from (and I must thank you for not bowing out yet, Lali). :) I think it should always be possible, as you were suggesting in another thread, to engage in friendly, informative debate, without one person feeling ganged up upon. I'd hope that that would be possible with the board as it is today. Please don't back out for want of informed knowledge, as it were - it's so great to have different kinds of opinion, informed by different things.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: