board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Actual Walmart wrongdoing

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Actual Walmart wrongdoing
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 2:17 pm

This time they actually did something that was just plain wrong, instead of the made up and imagined evils of prior threads on Walmart.

Walmart Fires Cancer Patient with Prescription for Medical Marijuana
Quote:
Even though Michigan resident Joseph Casias had a prescription from his doctor for medical marijuana, he was fired after a positive test for the substance by his employer, Walmart.

The news last November he'd been terminated was devastating for Casias, 29, who took great pride in his job, once earning the honor of Associate of the Year.

"It hurts. It hurts because I care. I care a lot about the store. I always wanted to make sure I do well," he told ABC News.

Casias started taking the medicine last June to cope with pain from sinus cancer and a brain tumor. He says the rare form of cancer causes him pain constantly and he almost died when he was first diagnosed.

Casias sprained his knee at work last November and underwent the routine drug test that follows all workplace injuries. Questioned about his positive test, Casias told management about his condition and presented a state card authorizing his marijuana use for medical purposes, but he was fired anyway. Casias says management told him Walmart does not honor medical marijuana cards.

"I just can't believe that it has to be this way. I don't see why they have to fire me," he said.

Michigan is one of 14 states where medical marijuana is legal, but employers in the Wolverine state can and do terminate employees who fail drug tests. Walmart policy, like the policy of other companies, indicates that in states such as Michigan which allow marijuana use for medical purposes, the store can still terminate an employee following a positive drug test. The law in Michigan says employers do not have to accommodate the ingestion of marijuana in the workplace or employees working while under the influence.

Casias has been receiving Michigan unemployment compensation since his termination and was notified that the company would challenge his eligibility for benefits during a phone hearing on March 31. A Walmart spokesman says that's not the case -- it won't challenge Casias' eligibility.

Even still, Casias thinks he may be entitled to compensation because he did not break any Michigan laws by using marijuana for pain. "I'm currently taking a look at all my options available," he said. "I am currently talking to an attorney at this point." "This is just an unfortunate situation all around," Walmart spokesman Greg Rossiter told ABC News. "We're sympathetic to Mr. Casias' condition, but like other companies we have to consider the overall safety of our customers and our associates, including Mr. Casias when making a difficult decision like this."

Medical Marijuana Hazardous in Workplace?

Certainly using a mind-altering drug on the job is something that would trouble any employer, but Casias says he never used the marijuana before or during work. He was in severe pain regularly so it would make sense that the drug was detected given that it can take weeks for marijuana to leave the system. Doctors say a number of medicines or combination of medicines, such as antihistamines, could pose a danger at the workplace. And medical marijuana, which is thought to be relatively safe, falls into the category of substances that could be hazardous to the workplace. Casias unloaded trucks for Walmart.

"I'd be concerned from an occupational hazard standpoint," said Dr. Martin Makary, associate professor of Health Policy at Johns Hopkins University. "I think this individual could drop or mishandle or lose control of the box because of their impaired mind-altered judgment. The job would really need to require no judgment of any kind. No coordination, no technical judgment or no thinking skills in order to argue it would be safe in the workplace."

On the other hand, Makary says that if a person used medical marijuana or Cannabis on a Friday night and went to work on Sunday, they wouldn't be impaired on the job.

Would the situation have turned out differently if Casias had told Walmart about his treatment? Casias says he thought the treatment was between him and his doctor. And why didn't Walmart use its discretion to take into account the fact that someone who apparently was a pretty good worker, earning the honor of Associate of the Year in 2008, was taking the marijuana for medicinal purposes? The company, after all, did not point out any issues with his performance at the time of his termination.

Michigan attorney Michael Komorn, who has represented several clients in medical marijuana cases and does for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association, says that Walmart made a specific choice to single out Casias for exercising his free will in compliance with the law.

Walmart Firing 'Uncompassionate'

"It's offensive. It's uncompassionate. The guy's got cancer and you fire him."

While Michigan law protects any employer's right to terminate for marijuana use, the law also states that a qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card shall not be subject to penalty in any manner, or denied any right or privilege or disciplinary action by a business for medical marijuana use.

Komorn believes citizens who use medical marijuana in Michigan and elsewhere encounter all kinds problems with law enforcement and mainstream society because of the stigma that society places on marijuana use. "Walmart, this great outlet, has embraced the stigma of marijuana," he said. "There's a transition phase that we're going through that involves people adjusting their view and reaction to marijuana."

Komorn says the Michigan statute covering medical marijuana is written in such a way that there is conflict. An employer may have existing contracts that say it can terminate the employee for marijuana use. In a landlord/tenant agreement, a landlord could say he doesn't allow marijuana on the premises. And, a patient who is operating a vehicle with marijuana in his system can still be convicted of driving under the influence. Komorn hopes the conflicts will be resolved through litigation. "In order to protect patients there has to be an evolution in thinking," he said.
MPP Calls For National Boycott of Wal-Mart
Quote:
This morning, the Marijuana Policy Project called upon shoppers across the country to join in a boycott of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., in order to protest the unjust and potentially unlawful firing of Joe Casias, a 29-year-old medical marijuana patient and sinus cancer survivor who suffers from an inoperable brain tumor.

After dutifully working at a Wal-Mart in Battle Creek, Michigan, for five years, Casias was suddenly terminated because he tested positive for marijuana during a drug screening administered after he sprained his knee on the job. To make matters worse, Wal-Mart is contesting Casias’s eligibility for unemployment, and Michigan has the nation’s highest unemployment rate, at almost 15%.

MPP is asking shoppers to demand that Wal-Mart abandon its discriminatory policy of firing employees who are legal medical marijuana patients under state law.

We need to send a strong message to Wal-Mart and other businesses in medical marijuana states that it is not acceptable to fire sick people for trying to get better by following their doctor’s recommendation and obeying state law. Marijuana is a legitimate medicine, supported by science and protected by law in 14 states, including Michigan.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Re: Actual Walmart wrongdoing
Posted: Mon 14 Jan , 2013 5:35 pm

Report: Walmart Forbids Store Managers From Ordering More Ammunition
Quote:
As gun and ammunition sales across the United States skyrocket and store shelves are emptied of just about anything related to weapons and accessories that may soon be banned by the Federal Government, some of America’s largest and most well known corporations are starting to take sides.

Reports have been streaming in over the last few weeks indicating that retail giant Walmart may be standing against the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and that their corporate headquarters has taken steps to restrict the availability of ammunition.
Quote:
The following is an alert sent by a reader to SteveQuayle.com:

I’ve read various postings on message boards claiming local Wal-Mart managers told customers they are no longer permitted to reorder ammo inventory. I can confirm this is true.

I went to Wal-Mart today in our town to buy ammo. The case was almost empty. I asked the store manager when new supplies will arrive.

He said, “Corporate headquarters notified all local managers that we can not order any more ammo until further notice.”

Do Wal-Mart executives know that Piers Morgan doesn’t shop at Wal-Mart, but millions of middle class American families are the source of their wealth? What happens to Wal-Mart’s earnings if Middle Class America boycotts Wal-Mart for caving in to Obama?

I’ve always suspected the gun grabbers would cut off ammo supplies first. They’re doing it now. Next, they will use strong arm tactics to shut down ammo manufacturers. You’ll have a gun, but no bullets to load in it. It’s only the beginning of the communist agenda. This plan was prepared a long time ago. The commies are pushing hard and fast. They plan to overrun a confused and bewildered public that can’t fathom that a genuine communist takeover is underway.
Last week, Bank of America chose to stand with the anti-gun movement when they froze the funds of a licensed online gun retailer, reportedly telling the owner of American Spirit Arms that he, “should not be selling guns and parts on the internet.”

Supporters of the Second Amendment, however, are speaking with their wallets, having lambasted Bank of America for their actions, with many claiming they were closing their accounts immediately.

When one of the largest online sporting goods stores in the world, Cheaper Than Dirt, suspended the sale of firearms after mounting pressure from anti-gun groups and the government, thousands of comments from disgruntled customers – many of them now ex-customers – overwhelmed the company’s Facebook page.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 15 Jan , 2013 10:07 pm

Perhaps my husband's wish to hoard ammo isn't unjustified....

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Mon 15 Apr , 2013 11:52 pm
Try to stay perky

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Quote:
I’ve always suspected the gun grabbers would cut off ammo supplies first. They’re doing it now. Next, they will use strong arm tactics to shut down ammo manufacturers. You’ll have a gun, but no bullets to load in it. It’s only the beginning of the communist agenda. This plan was prepared a long time ago. The commies are pushing hard and fast. They plan to overrun a confused and bewildered public that can’t fathom that a genuine communist takeover is underway.

Oh, lordie, lord! Piffle! A genuine communist takeover is underway?

Is this guy taking his medication? Perhaps he should fashion a helmet out of aluminium foil so the commie conspiracy can't read his brainwaves.

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: