The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Coffee Party.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Ara-anna
Post subject: The Coffee Party.
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 3:55 am
Daydream Believer

http://www.coffeepartyusa.com/

Coffee Party USA aims to reinvigorate the public sphere, drawing from diverse backgrounds and diverse perspectives, with the goal of expanding the influence of the People in America's political arena. We do not require nor adhere to any preexisting ideology. We encourage deliberation guided by reason amongst the many viewpoints held by our members. We see our diversity as a strength, not a weakness, because we believe that faithful deliberation from multiple vantage points is the best way to achieve the common good. It is in the responsible and reasonable practice of deliberation that we hope to contribute to society.

Coffee Party USA is made up of people acting independently of political parties, of corporations, and of political lobbying networks. To this point, all products created and hours logged for Coffee Party have been carried out in the spirit of volunteerism. In the coming months and years, we hope to transform our disappointment in our current political system into a force that will return our nation to a course of popular governance, of the People by the People for the People.

We are diverse — ethnically, geographically, politically, in age and in experience.

We are 100% grassroots. No lobbyists here. No pundits. And no hyper-partisan strategists calling the shots in this movement. We are a spontaneous and collective expression of our desire to forge a culture of civic engagement that is solution-oriented, not blame-oriented.

We demand a government that responds to the needs of the majority of its citizens as expressed by our votes and by our voices; NOT corporate interests as expressed by misleading advertisements and campaign contributions.

We want a society in which democracy is treated as sacrosanct and ordinary citizens participate out of a sense of civic duty, civic pride, and a desire to contribute to society. The Coffee Party is a call to action. Our Founding Fathers and Mothers gave us an enduring gift — Democracy — and we must use it to meet the challenges that we face as a nation.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Post subject: Re: The Coffee Party.
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 11:55 am
stranded in dreamland

I like the concept. I like the name. Hopefully, something will come of it.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 2:58 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I saw an article about that on CNN. :) I hope it grows!

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 3:36 pm

This sounds very promising. The public relations value in creating the name COFFEE PARTY is pure genius and certainly did the job of putting them out in front to get some valuable publicity. This bears watching over the coming months as the Tea party folks get even more angrier and out of control over what ever particular bee gets into their bonnets. Populism from the left would be very welcome right about now to counteract the populism of the far right.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 7:59 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Too cute an idea to amount to anything.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 8:25 pm

Coffee is not my friend. I can't drink coffee, so I think it's a lousy name! :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 9:25 pm
Daydream Believer

Well I drink tea, but that doesn't mean I'm a member of the tea party. ;) :D

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 9:28 pm

A Long Island Iced Tea Party might be popular. I would think the membership meetings would be fun. And just imagine the conventions.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 9:38 pm
Daydream Believer

It would be held in Margaritaville.

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 10:29 pm
The best things in life are not things

Is any provision being made for those who only drink de-caf? [ img ] ;)

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 10:45 pm

De-caf Nienna... sure why not. Its going to be a big tent party that recognizes and welcomes diversity.

Like others here, I do not consume coffee either and am a life long tea drinker. That is why I suggested the Long Island version. :cheers:

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 11:12 pm
The best things in life are not things

Great, thanks! I'll bring some cookies (and before you even think it, sf, no, not the Florida sort... :P )

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 11:49 pm

Nienna - that is hysterically funny.... sadly, I suspect that only I get the humor in it. ;)

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 25 Mar , 2010 12:45 am
Daydream Believer

Well since it is a politcal party, it really doesn't matter if coffee is served or not.

http://www.coffeepartyusa.com/content/h ... ity-nation

And the coffee civility pledge is why I became intrested in the party.
Quote:
As a member or supporter of the Coffee Party, I pledge to conduct myself in a way that is civil, honest, and respectful toward people with whom I disagree. I value people from different cultures, I value people with different ideas, and I value and cherish the democratic process.
oh and the mission statement
Quote:
COFFEE PARTY MISSION STATEMENT: The Coffee Party Movement gives voice to Americans who want to see cooperation in government. We recognize that the federal government is not the enemy of the people, but the expression of our collective will, and that we must participate in the democratic process in order to address the challenges that we face as Americans. As voters and grassroots volunteers, we will support leaders who work toward positive solutions, and hold accountable those who obstruct them.

I have noticed on the forums there are quite a few different party members showing up, GOP, Dems and Libertarians.

The number of FB members increased from 151k to 180k in the last day. :Q :Q

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Sun 11 Apr , 2010 9:11 pm
Daydream Believer

on Facebook the Tea Party has 162,621 fans, it started last year.

The Coffee Party has 199,057 fans, it started about 2 months ago.

:banana: :banana:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: