board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Four in Five Americans don't trust Washington

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Four in Five Americans don't trust Washington
Posted: Thu 29 Apr , 2010 4:12 pm

And then the drug addicted psychopath with an IQ of 85 gets tapped for the job. :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 29 Apr , 2010 6:57 pm

The lottery idea can't be worse than what we currently have, although I'd add a stipulation that once picked for an office you cannot serve in other offices for 10 years after leaving office - your name is permanently removed from the lottery. Maybe more than 10 years, depending on how high an office you get picked for - being president for one term permanently disqualifies you from ever holding any other office.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 01 May , 2010 11:43 pm

Vison
While I see the humor in your proposal, there is only one problem with your lottery idea: it takes away the right of the American people to elect those they want to represent them. I think some thinks should be taken seriously. ... the rights of a free people in a democratic republic being one of those things. But I guess thats just me. ;)

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: