Britain goes back to the dark ages

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject: Re: Britain goes back to the dark ages
Posted: Mon 20 Sep , 2010 2:27 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

Haven't posted here for ages ...

Well, the first five months have been quite harmonious, in that no member of the government have fallen out with each other. ;)

However. The coalition government have vowed to make sweeping cuts in every sphere of the public sector, the full force of which will start to be felt very soon. And the Trades Union Congress of Great Britain -- the main organisation under which all British unions unite -- has vowed to fight against many of these cuts, since obviously they are concerned with the impact on public services and people's livelihoods. So we could well be in for a winter of strikes. Another 'winter of discontent'.

One early victim of the coalition's cutting back policies :( This was such a shame:
http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/p ... ts/3741107

Other measures could include introducing entrance fees for museums. At present the majority of museums and art galleries in London are free (excluding temporary exhibits). I wouldn't be against that, actually, as long as the entrance fees are reasonable. (I still don't agree with charging people entry into our cathedrals and major churches as I think it's wrong to charge people money for entering a place of worship. I know these historic buildings need massive upkeep, but ...)

I am worried about the effects of the cuts on the poorest and most vulnerable people, and also worried about how they will affect the slowly recovering economy.

Fun times ahead. Seriously, I am dreading a re-run of Thatcher's Britain, except that the forthcoming cuts might even be even more savage.

And we have the Olympics to pay for ---!!!!!! :Q Except, on the plus side, that will be a money-spinner and create jobs, be good for tourism etc.

But my concerns about the most poor and vulnerable remain.

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Posted: Sun 26 Sep , 2010 5:05 am

I hear Ed Miliband is the new leader of the Labour Party.

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sun 26 Sep , 2010 5:12 am
Best friends forever

The Olympics a money-spinner?

Hah. :x

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote