board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Bullfighting in Spain

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Berhael
Post subject: Bullfighting in Spain
Posted: Wed 28 Jul , 2010 7:01 pm
Milk and kisses

The autonomous region of Catalonia has voted today for the banning of bullfighting, a time-honoured Spanish tradition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10784611

There are those who argue that this vote is a demonstration of anti-Spanish sentiment from Catalonian separatists. It doesn't seem to be that way, though; although I haven't been following this closely, from what I've read it seems that this was a popular vote brought to Catalonia's parliament, and not an issue promoted by any political party.

Personally I've been against bullfighting since I can remember. I think it's cruel and unnecessary, although I understand that this is a very old tradition and (some argue) an important part of Spanish culture. I don't agree; I think cultures evolve, and if enough people are against this "cultural manifestation" (I hesitate to call it sport, and I don't think it's an art form as its supporters regard it), then it's probably time to move on and leave this tradition behind.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Bullfighting in Spain
Posted: Wed 28 Jul , 2010 7:08 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I'd have to agree, Ber. What would be neat would be to see Spaniards drawing the non-violent aspects out of the entire bullfighting experience and making them a part of their culture. (I'm not sure that makes sense.) IOW, the matador is an iconic figure. The costume he or she wears, the dazzling displays--those would be good things to keep. Torturing and killing bulls should not be kept. Do you think there's a way to keep bullfighting (in some fashion) while getting rid of the cruelty?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 28 Jul , 2010 7:13 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'd believe it was a legitimate sport if bulls actually won 50% of the time. We all know that's a sham.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Wed 28 Jul , 2010 7:22 pm
Milk and kisses

Lali, the Portuguese have a non-lethal version of bullfighting, although the bull is still hurt (just not killed at the end). I personally would like the bulls to wear a sort of velcro vest so a velcro-tipped version of the usual barbs etc. could stick to it. I understand the "tradition" arguments (although I dislike blindly following tradition just because it's tradition, IYSWIM), but surely it would be better to preserve some form of it (and save the bulls, which are bred exclusively for the fights, and would otherwise die off) than to get rid of the whole thing completely. And there are museums anyway - I don't hear Italians moaning the loss of gladiator fights (much). ;)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Nin
Posted: Wed 28 Jul , 2010 8:10 pm
Per aspera ad astra

They have calcio instead...

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 19 Aug , 2010 1:05 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 19 Aug , 2010 2:23 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:( Could have been a tragedy? I wonder what the parents of the 10 year old boy in Intensive Care would think of that statement. They have no guarantees that he'll make it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Mon 23 Aug , 2010 8:37 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Sympathy for the kid. None for the parents.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 18 Aug , 2015 12:50 am
Aspiring to heresy

I don't know how to link directly to a facebook video, so I'll link to the article where I found it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/ricky-g ... 51?cmp=rss

Scroll down to the video of Ricky Gervais giving his opinion - I agree with every word.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: