board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

GOP candidate discusses possibility of violent revolution

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 18 posts ]
sauronsfinger
Post subject: GOP candidate discusses possibility of violent revolution
Posted: Fri 22 Oct , 2010 8:12 pm

I do not know if it is a full moon or if Halloween has arrived early this year.

Quote:
Republican congressional candidate says violent overthrow of government is 'on the table'
12:00 AM CDT on Friday, October 22, 2010

By MELANIE MASON / The Dallas Morning News
mmason@dallasnews.com
WASHINGTON – Republican congressional candidate Stephen Broden stunned his party Thursday, saying he would not rule out violent overthrow of the government if elections did not produce a change in leadership.

In a rambling exchange during a TV interview, Broden, a South Dallas pastor, said a violent uprising "is not the first option," but it is "on the table." That drew a quick denunciation from the head of the Dallas County GOP, who called the remarks "inappropriate."

Broden, a first-time candidate, is challenging veteran incumbent Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson in Dallas' heavily Democratic 30th Congressional District. Johnson's campaign declined to comment on Broden.

In the interview, Brad Watson, political reporter for WFAA-TV (Channel 8), asked Broden about a tea party event last year in Fort Worth in which he described the nation's government as tyrannical.

"We have a constitutional remedy," Broden said then. "And the Framers say if that don't work, revolution."

Watson asked if his definition of revolution included violent overthrow of the government. In a prolonged back-and-forth, Broden at first declined to explicitly address insurrection, saying the first way to deal with a repressive government is to "alter it or abolish it."

"If the government is not producing the results or has become destructive to the ends of our liberties, we have a right to get rid of that government and to get rid of it by any means necessary," Broden said, adding the nation was founded on a violent revolt against Britain's King George III.

Watson asked if violence would be in option in 2010, under the current government.

"The option is on the table. I don't think that we should remove anything from the table as it relates to our liberties and our freedoms," Broden said, without elaborating. "However, it is not the first option."

Reactions
Jonathan Neerman, head of the Dallas County Republican Party, said he's never heard Broden or other local Republican candidates advocate violence against the government.

"It is a disappointing, isolated incident," Neerman said. He said he plans to discuss the matter with Broden's campaign.

Ken Emanuelson, a Broden supporter and leading tea party organizer in Dallas, said he did not disagree with the "philosophical point" that people had the right to resist a tyrannical government.

But, he said, "Do I see our government today anywhere close to that point? No, I don't."

Emanuelson said he's occasionally heard people call for direct action against the government, but that they typically do not get involved in electoral politics.

That Broden is "engaged in the election and running for office shows he's got faith in the system as it is," Emanuelson said.

Other statements
Also in the interview, Broden backed away from other controversial statements he has made at rallies and on cable news appearances.

In June 2009, he described the economic crash in the housing, banking and automotive industries as "contrived" and a "set up" by the Obama administration.

Asked Thursday about the validity of these, Broden said they were "authentic crises facing this nation."

Broden also retreated from other remarks last year that chided Americans for not being more outraged over government intrusion, comparing them to Jews "walking into the furnaces" under the Nazi regime in Germany.

"They are our enemies, and we must resist them," he said of government leaders.

Broden said Thursday that he wasn't trying to compare President Barack Obama to Hitler and he mistakenly linked the U.S. in 2010 to Nazi Germany.

In the uphill campaign against Johnson, Broden has sought to capitalize on her misuse of scholarship funds from the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, a nonprofit entity.

In late August, The Dallas Morning News reported that Johnson provided 23 scholarships over five years to two of her grandsons, two children of her nephew, and two children of her top aide in Dallas. None of those recipients were eligible under the foundation's anti-nepotism rules or residency requirements. She has repaid the foundation more than $31,000.
Things in this country are getting bad - really bad.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject: Re: GOP candidate discusses possibility of violent revolution
Posted: Sat 23 Oct , 2010 8:47 pm
You are hearing me talk

Quote:
That drew a quick denunciation from the head of the Dallas County GOP, who called the remarks "inappropriate."
Yeah; you're not supposed to say it on the record.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 23 Oct , 2010 10:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Never heard of this Broden guy. Is he considered fairly mainstream, or is he generally regarded as the lunatic he apparently is?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 24 Oct , 2010 1:57 am

Jude wrote:
Never heard of this Broden guy. Is he considered fairly mainstream, or is he generally regarded as the lunatic he apparently is?
According to the article "Jonathan Neerman, head of the Dallas County Republican Party, said he's never heard Broden". It's not very often a mainstream candidate is unknown to the rest of the party.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Sun 24 Oct , 2010 2:51 am
Revenge of the Salmon

I think that as a nation, you're Chaotic Good.
Whereas Australia might be Lawful Evil...

Edit: Actually, I take it back about Australia. There are a lot of good people here. But I don't know what alignment it is.

Last edited by Estel Dúnadan on Sun 24 Oct , 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mai hiruvalye Valimar!

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Sun 24 Oct , 2010 5:04 am
bioalchemist

I had a HS English teacher who handed out failing grades for quotation tricks and a thesis advisor who put a huge emphasis on being scholarly so maybe I'm just sensitive to these things, but you're being a bit selective in that quote, CG. What Neerman really said was he'd never heard Broden advocate violence:
Quote:
Jonathan Neerman, head of the Dallas County Republican Party, said he's never heard Broden or other local Republican candidates advocate violence against the government.
Anyway, reading the rest of the article, it looks like Broden's said a lot of insane stuff that's he's had to back away from. Bad case of verbal diarrhea. Seeing as it's definitely election silly season, I suppose that's not too shocking. And seeing as the governor of Texas was talking secession a year or so ago, fiery rhetoric out of Texas is even less shocking.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Sun 24 Oct , 2010 2:06 pm
You are hearing me talk

Jude wrote:
Is he considered fairly mainstream, or is he generally regarded as the lunatic he apparently is?
You say that like those two things are mutually exclusive.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sun 24 Oct , 2010 7:33 pm

Riverthalos wrote:
but you're being a bit selective in that quote, CG.
Like you've never been guilty of hasty uncareful reading. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 26 Oct , 2010 12:41 pm
You are hearing me talk

Speaking of political violence from tea-party Republicans:

Group of Rand Paul supporters tackle, beat MoveOn member

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 26 Oct , 2010 4:43 pm

This is pathetic and sad. The video of the man stomping on the head of a downed woman is disgusting. One must say going in that this was not Rand Paul doing the violence but a supporter of his. Having said that, in a very close race like this one is, will it have any impact on the election day result? Does this incident add more fuel to the fire and increase the perception that Paul appeals to a fringe element of the body politic and is far from the average citizen? Does this incident give credence to the feeling that many on the right are prone to violence and are not very tolerant of dissent especially when it comes to dissent against their own views?

I would think that for many, the answer is YES. I am sure the Paul apologists will attempt to downplay this if not outright dismiss it.

Ron Paul is now passing this off as "a bit of a crowd control problem". Really?!?!?! That is rather interesting terminology for a criminal assault.

Is this the shape of things to come in our political future?

btw - here is a nice photo of the head stomper and Rand Paul together

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/ ... 17D90F.jpg

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 26 Oct , 2010 10:52 pm

wrong thread

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Posted: Wed 27 Oct , 2010 3:29 am
Legendury speller

Quote:
Watson asked if his definition of revolution included violent overthrow of the government. In a prolonged back-and-forth, Broden at first declined to explicitly address insurrection, saying the first way to deal with a repressive government is to "alter it or abolish it."

"If the government is not producing the results or has become destructive to the ends of our liberties, we have a right to get rid of that government and to get rid of it by any means necessary," Broden said, adding the nation was founded on a violent revolt against Britain's King George III.

Watson asked if violence would be in option in 2010, under the current government.

"The option is on the table. I don't think that we should remove anything from the table as it relates to our liberties and our freedoms," Broden said, without elaborating. "However, it is not the first option."
Hmmm, Not sure I see what the fuss is about. He isn't advocating it as the right thing to do. He says it is on the table but not as the first option. He didn't say this was an option without being pressed to address the specific issue either which leads me to believe it is not something he is focused on.

Sounds like he has his history more or less down and as a option I agree that as it relates to our liberties an our freedoms that option ought to always exist. I would disagree that the country is in a place where that is an option that needs to be considered. But it is never off the table. Tempest in a teapot, again.

It seems that we are inundated with sensationalist reporting hastening to try to cast people as extremists because it sells news in this country. No wonder common ground between people and political parties is shrinking. The people on the fringes get all the attention.

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 27 Oct , 2010 2:54 pm

RELStuart wrote:
Hmmm, Not sure I see what the fuss is about. He isn't advocating it as the right thing to do. He says it is on the table but not as the first option. He didn't say this was an option without being pressed to address the specific issue either which leads me to believe it is not something he is focused on.

Sounds like he has his history more or less down and as a option I agree that as it relates to our liberties an our freedoms that option ought to always exist. I would disagree that the country is in a place where that is an option that needs to be considered. But it is never off the table. Tempest in a teapot, again.

It seems that we are inundated with sensationalist reporting hastening to try to cast people as extremists because it sells news in this country. No wonder common ground between people and political parties is shrinking. The people on the fringes get all the attention.
Pretty level headed and right on the money. This is a tempest in a teapot.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 27 Oct , 2010 4:10 pm

Look at what was said by this wingnut.
Quote:

So the first option is attempting to take over the government through elections. But if that does not give you what you desire then what? That is the frightening aspect of this mans ideology. Does this nut have a calendar in his house that says 1776 on it and there is a picture of King George in the local town hall? Does he really not understand the fundamental difference in law between the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution? Does he not understand which of the two is the governing document which gives us our form of government?

We live in a representative democracy where the American people elect their chosen representatives on all levels of government. It is dangerous and irresponsible and far far from anything approaching reason to accept a situation where just because somebody does not get things their own way at the ballot box that they then have the right to use violence to deny the winners their voice.

Electing representatives in fair elections ....that is the way our government works under the Constitution of the USA. There is nothing in there about some yahoo getting pissed off at the government and killing people. Nothing.

Where does Broden get the idea that he has a right to use violence to counter the will of the people carrying out the governmental processes contained in our Constitution?

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 27 Oct , 2010 6:32 pm
Daydream Believer

Apparently they think the right to vote is no longer the most viable option.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 27 Oct , 2010 6:40 pm

Ara-anna wrote:
Apparently they think the right to vote is no longer the most viable option.
It is true that, for example, a majority of the US population opposes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but that the candidates of both parties support those wars. Even changing the majority party in 2006 and 2008 didn't change the wars. Sometimes democracy doesn't express the will of the majority.

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Thu 28 Oct , 2010 3:30 pm

I did find an article recently about someone who actually did plan on harming this country's leadership.

NY man charged with planning to kill former President George W. Bush

I can't find much info on his background.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 28 Oct , 2010 11:53 pm

Is it true that if I become a county coordinator for Rand Paul that I get a free set of steel toed jackboots?

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 18 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: