The Last Homely Site on the Web

Family Radio predicts Rapture: 21 May 2011

Post Reply   Page 5 of 7  [ 134 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Family Radio predicts Rapture: 21 May 2011
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 1:35 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I'm not sure what the percentage of loss will be. The criterion is a genuine belief in Jesus as the Son of God, the sacrifice who made it possible for people to be forgiven. (In Christian-ese, you need to "be saved.")

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 1:39 pm
Aspiring to heresy

MariaHobbit wrote:
What's the criteria for getting "raptured", anyway? What kind of population loss are we talking about? 5%? 10%? .005%?
0, actually :D

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 1:50 pm

Well, there are approximately 2.2 billion Christians worldwide. Not all of those are active followers of their faith, though.

The stats say that 1.5 billion are active churchgoers. That gets us to a better approximation, perhaps, but probably still more than may actually have a genuine belief/relationship with Jesus. I'd hate to try to guess what the true number actually is, though. 1 billion? 0.5 billion?

There are about 7 billion people on earth now. So anywhere from 21% (with all 1.5 billion) to 7% (with only 0.5 billion). ??

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 1:51 pm
pixel-pusher

Where I grew up it was always: you get saved and thus included in the Rapture by "asking Jesus into your heart."

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 2:09 pm

Yep, that's perfectly legit Christian-ese and what I grew up with too. I was just trying to explain it in non-Christian-ese.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 2:11 pm
pixel-pusher

I just always thought that it was funny. It's totally this obscure phrase that can basically mean whatever you want it to... for example, I "asked Jesus into my heart" when I was three years old and many times subsequently growing up. In that respect, I'm totally Rapture-insured! :D

Plus if Jesus actually came into your heart it would probably explode under the pressure so it's actually a very dangerous thing to ask for :salmon:

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 2:15 pm

It is a strange phrase, and I'm not sure how it came about. I suspect it has something to do with Revelation 3:20, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me" (NASB). (Supposing, here, that the door is the door of the heart.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 2:59 pm

So, if we go with 10% of the world's population being abducted..... that would mean we'd been decimated! :Q

That's not really enough to end civilization, though. I imagine the other 9 out of 10 people would continue on with their lives. There might be another mortgage crisis- though- when all those loans get defaulted on.

What's the point of this? Why yank some of the players out of the game before their time? That just seems cruel and not a reward at all. And it's certainly not a way to make the world a better place, by pulling all the *best* players just when things are supposed to get bad.

Whoever came up with the theory was probably a seriously twisted and depressed individual.

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 3:51 pm
pixel-pusher

Mmm, I understand it more Maria that the world is going to get really sh*tty so God is sparing his believers from it all.

So if you believe in the Apocolypse, it's actually a rather comforting notion.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 6:41 pm

It kind of breaks the apparent non-interferance rule... but if you find that idea comforting, enjoy it. :shrug:

It occurs to me that the day after tomorrow would be an excellent time for religious scammers who have the law closing in on them to stage a quiet disappearance. Move out of the country, change name, change appearance... I wonder how many criminals of any sort will opt for this just to put everyone who knows them into a tizzy? :D

"You know, if Joey got raptured, and I didn't-- there must be something terribly wrong with me!" :bawl:

:LMAO:

If I'm reading this report right, there were almost 700,000 people reported missing last year. If that many go missing this Saturday, will that be a significant number? Or just business as usual for the human race?

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 7:26 pm

It's that a large number of people will go missing all at the same time, Maria, that would make it different.

To be sure, not all Christians believe in the concept of the Rapture--Catholics, for example, do not. Southern Baptists do.

The basic idea is that God is bringing life as it has been to a close. Jesus began the Church age of faith. The Rapture brings that to a close. The focus will then shift back to the Jewish people and one last push to end evil and call people to repentance.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 8:03 pm

Sounds almost like a military retreat. :suspicious: I wonder if turning off everything at once would crash the system?

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2011 10:24 pm

LalaithUrwen wrote:
To be sure, not all Christians believe in the concept of the Rapture--Catholics, for example, do not. Southern Baptists do.
Adventists, who are most similar to Baptists, don't. We have our own crazy theories about the end times. :P

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2011 1:48 am

That is true, yovi.

My personal thoughts? I think we're all going to be surprised by how it turns out, and I think none of us has it quite right. Look at how Jesus surprised the Jewish people with who he was, how he got here, what he did, etc.

Maria, what do you mean exactly?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2011 12:49 pm
pixel-pusher

T-minus: 1 day!!!

For those planning on remaining behind, remember to fill up your bathtubs with drinking water tonight!

For those planning on getting Raptured, please remember to use up all your gas and cook all the food out of the deep freezer today!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2011 1:36 pm

Lali, those two comments of mine were offshoots of my "world as a game" way of looking at things. If the one playing the game is ready to quit for a bit, maybe just *ending* this reality all at once would break something. Kind of like killing power to a computer instead of letting it do an orderly shut down risks damage of some sort. Not good if you want to use the system later for something else.

The "military retreat" comment was just a random observation. If one is running a military campaign and needs the troops to pull back for some reason, it's best to do it in an orderly fashion. This group move back to here. That group move back over there. You can't pull everyone back at once or chaos ensues. I didn't really mean anything by it, it's just what came to mind when you mentioned the Christians get pulled out first, and then the Jewish people get to do something. Sounds like military maneuvering to me. :shrug:

I'm not sure the two ideas are even linked at all. Just random firing of the synapses going on over here. :)

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2011 2:45 pm

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2011 2:54 pm
pixel-pusher

:damnfunny:

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2011 3:19 pm

:LMAO: :rofl:

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2011 7:18 pm
pixel-pusher

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 7  [ 134 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Jump to: