board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Help Lali Write Stuff!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Help Lali Write Stuff!
Posted: Tue 01 Feb , 2011 8:47 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Hey, you know, why not? I have these discussion board posts (which are actually 2-page papers with references and such) to write, as well as actual papers that I have to write. So I'm procrastinating but thought you all might be interested in some of this stuff. (Or not. :D)

I have my own ideas, and I certainly won't be plagiarizing anything anyone says. I'm honestly just looking to generate discussion on here (because it helps me procrastinate!).

So one of my questions this week is:

Has Christianity had any enduring impact on public school education in North America? What does this mean in a country as diverse as America?

Discuss. :Wooper:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject: Re: Help Lali Write Stuff!
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 1:04 am
bioalchemist

Um, you mean, aside from the general impact on world and US history and western literature? All of which we studied?

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 1:12 am

Well, see, that's sort of what I was thinking. I mean, where does one even start, really? But I've got some stuff written. All crap, mind you, but it's started.

But feel free to expound if you're bored. :P Or snowed in. Or iced in, like we are.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 2:41 am

Oh, see, the first thing that popped into my mind was the whole evolution and science debate. Which I didn't really feel like getting into...

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 6:05 am
Best friends forever

Has Christianity had any enduring impact on public school education in North America? What does this mean in a country as diverse as America?

Wowza.

Good luck.
:D

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 3:05 pm

:nono: You guys are NOT helping.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 3:38 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I assume they'll be only looking for the positive impact?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 3:40 pm
Best friends forever

Whenever I think of the US public schools, I think of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Remember when she taught school? (In the books, I mean.)

I don't know, Lalaith. I don't envy you. Like, for instance, does this mean you should discuss when prayer was removed from schools? Or, maybe, when it was first put in, if it wasn't always there? Was the bible ever used as a textbook in public schools?

It says "North America". Can you include Canada? Then it just says, "America" which means the US.

Too bad they don't ask you to write about something I know about, I could help you. :D

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 4:03 pm

Yes, of course it has.

A long time ago in a country far away, a country called the British Colonies and later called the United States, there weren't any public schools. Education was done in the home or in a private school. Many of the private schools, especially for those who were less wealthy, were religious schools. In fact, even the first colleges were religious institutions.

This wasn't true in every case, but it was common enough at first. One of the reasons (among many) we have public schools is because there was factional rivalry between denominations and Catholics were a growing presence in the USA and were creating their own religious schools and the Protestants didn't like it.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks, CG. Interesting point about the Catholics and Protestants.

I have some of that in my paper--the education system in Europe and the U.S. really owes itself (in large part) to Christianity. The Protestant Reformation, for example, saw a desire for everyone, boys and girls, to be able to read the Bible in their own languages. In America, most schools began as religious schools.

I thought the same thing, vison. Should I include Canada, too? (I'm guessing not. It was probably someone just being America-centric and equating North America with only the U.S.) And I think of Laura, as well, whenever I think of schools.

The second part of the paper that I didn't put here has to do with Scholasticism and whether or not it has any place in modern schools. :neutral:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 6:30 pm
Best friends forever

Um. I'd say no.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 6:33 pm

In its basest form, perhaps, it's still beneficial. The critical thinking and deductive reasoning part of it is still useful, for example. But, otherwise, no.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 7:04 pm
bioalchemist

I'm running on too little sleep and too much caffeine and for some reason can't parse out the wikipedia article. What's scholasticism?
yovargas wrote:
Oh, see, the first thing that popped into my mind was the whole evolution and science debate. Which I didn't really feel like getting into...
I was lucky. My public school district taught science in science classes. My cousins in Kansas aren't so lucky so their parents put them in Catholic school to ensure they learned science properly. Their father is a horticulturist and a practicing Catholic and he has openly stated he can't get over the irony of how the same organization that oppressed Galileo is the one that he's entrusted his childrens' science education to.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2011 7:26 pm

Scholasticism was the dominant educational philosophy of the Middle Ages. Think Thomas Aquinas, Abelard, Ockham, etc. Heavy emphasis on deductive reasoning, memorization, and logic, plus study of the Classics. It did give rise to humanism and modern science, so those things are commendable. (To clarify, this type of humanism was at first not antagonistic toward God.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: