board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

What is going on?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 36 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Feredir
Post subject: What is going on?
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2011 2:32 pm

I thought about where to post this and ended with here. 2011 started with the murder of an Ohio Deputy Sheriff and it has been downhill from there. FL had four officers killed in a four day span. Officers have been killed in Indiana, the west coast, the east coast, and just yesterday another was murdered in Ohio. 21 have been killed by violent means this year alone and we are only 3.5 months in. The stats can be found here if you are interested:
http://www.odmp.org/year.php

I am left scratching my head and searching for answers.

freddy

vison
Post subject: Re: What is going on?
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2011 5:51 pm
Best friends forever

Well, Freddy, I can't explain it. Hard times, hard answers.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2011 8:18 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Those statistics are pretty awful, but looking at the previous years', it doesn't seem significantly higher than normal.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Mon 21 Mar , 2011 1:45 pm
Daydream Believer

I suspect, as a public worker, that if the anger towards the government doesn't change, this will get worse. At least that is what they are preparing us for in our little Municipal Government. We've installed a ton new security measures due to the number of threats that have increased. And I am sorry I blame the Tea Party, all of those who have made threats to our tiny community are all part of that party and part of the 911 project.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2011 6:57 pm

The stats show there really isn't that much change though.

From the provided website:

January 2011 - 18
February 2011 - 14

January 2010 - 20
February 2010 - 15

The "War on Cops" is actually sensationalist journalism.

The Anti-Cop Trend that isn't
More on the Non-Existent "War on Cops"

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2011 10:14 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

The US is a gun society. That's what you get with a gun society. I'm truly sorry Feredir that this has happened to people whose task it is to keep the peace but guns kill people. They kill family members, children, all sorts of people.
America made a bargain with guns and this is just the by product. I can't see it changing.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2011 10:58 pm

ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
The US is a gun society. That's what you get with a gun society. I'm truly sorry Feredir that this has happened to people whose task it is to keep the peace but guns kill people. They kill family members, children, all sorts of people.
America made a bargain with guns and this is just the by product. I can't see it changing.
Yeah. Sure. Whatever.

More police are killed in auto accidents than by firearms each year. Blame the guns. There's that European Gun Fetish again.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2011 11:22 pm
of Vinyamar

If there's a Gun Fetish I'm pretty sure its not European.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 2:19 am
Takoyaki is love

Feredir, I am sorry that this particular year there have been quite a few police deaths.I looked at the stats, and automobile and gun related causes of death are pretty high. What is causing the car accidents?

(I am not going to step into the gun stuff.)

What is it about criminals resorting to violence more? I have no idea what the areas the deaths occurred in are like. I might be people are more desperate because of economic times.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 2:48 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I think what's standing out this year so far is that there have been 5 officers killed here in Ohio. It's only March, and there were a total of 4 officers killed in Ohio in all of 2010. In 2009, only 1 officer was killed. (The statistics bounce around after that.) In any case, it could be a perception issue. It may just seem worse this year because 5 have died in our state, and the year has barely begun. It could also be an indicator that things are going downhill here. I'm not a statistician, so I can't say for sure.

The most recent officer death in Ohio is just beyond ridiculous. The man shot the officer 5 times when the officer stopped him for operating his bicycle at night without lights--which is illegal and very dangerous, of course. Why the man felt the need to kill the officer over this may be something we never know. Perhaps he was mentally ill. They often are.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 4:17 am
bioalchemist

Well, getting busted on your bike is annoying and it can be expensive (I got ticketed for running a stop sign a while back) but, compared to getting busted in a car, it's something of a non-event. You look very dumb pulled over with a bike and you have to pay the fine, but nothing gets reported to your car insurance and no points go on your license because you weren't actually driving your car.

On the other hand, maybe he stole the bike?

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 1:32 pm

Yeah, I don't know. It's likely that the guy had a bigger issue going on than just riding a bike without lights. He tried to evade the officer. They haven't released his prior criminal record (if he has one), but, like I said, the last few officer shootings I can recall have been by mentally ill people who shot the officer for no apparent reason whatsoever. One approached the house because neighbors were reporting a disturbance. One was photographing around a trailer where a disturbance had occurred. She was shot in the face while holding her camera in her hand.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 5:26 pm
Takoyaki is love

Have there been problems with the mental health system? I have learned that when things go downhill with a mentally ill person, law enforcement ends up getting involved.

Also when there is economic downturn, wait lists for mental help get significantly longer, and that is for those seeking help.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 5:46 pm

Alatar wrote:
If there's a Gun Fetish I'm pretty sure its not European.
When I see the attitude "eeek someone out there owns a gun get rid of it guns are evil eeek i'm terrified because someone somewhere has a gun" I describe it as a pretty nasty gun fetish, and from what I've seen that gun fetish is more common in Europe than in the United States

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 6:05 pm

Wilma, our mental health system could definitely use some work, yes.

I don't think fetish is the word you want, CG.

I don't like the way you've worded your post, but I sort of agree that there is a prevailing anti-gun sentiment from Europeans. However, I also see that anti-gun sentiment from many Canadians and, truthfully, many Americans.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 6:05 pm

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Inigo Montoya, Princess Bride
dictionary.com wrote:
fet·ish   /ˈfɛtɪʃ, ˈfitɪʃ/ Show Spelled
[fet-ish, fee-tish] Show IPA

–noun
1. an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.
2. any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence, respect, or devotion: to make a fetish of high grades.
3. Psychology . any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 7:21 pm
bioalchemist

Wilma wrote:
Have there been problems with the mental health system?
Yes. The same problems with the overall health system, with the added stigma of mental illness and accompanying funding issues. Also, due to the nature of mental illness, those who are sickest lack the self-awareness to realize how much they need help and, due to abuses in the past and laws made to rectify that, it is very very difficult to force an adult into treatment before they've become an immediate threat to themselves or others. A lot of the people in our prisons and homeless shelters would be better off in a mental hospital, but those were closed back in the 80's. Law enforcement gets involved in many cases because either a crime is committed or the patient is causing harm to someone or themselves and the EMTs aren't trained to restrain (or even allowed to defend themselves). When I was riding ambulances, I saw my share of mental health calls. In one case, the patient knew he was falling apart, called 911, and asked the cop to cuff him because he knew he'd get violent. It's not necessarily standard procedure to apply cuffs when someone's going in willingly, but since he asked, the cop complied. I'm glad the patient asked. I'm glad the cop complied. I'm also glad that, when the cops cuffed someone, they'd ride in the back with us medics. I'm glad because, while we were on our way in, the patient did get violent. He thrashed around, screaming. He was big and burly. The back of an ambulance is small. I wasn't allowed to defend myself and I had nowhere to hide. Furthermore, the cabinets were glass and metal - imagine what your hand would look like after putting your fist through it. Never mind what could happen when someone goes berserk with in an enclosed space with heavy oxygen bottles at hand and other large, blunt objects. But, as I mentioned, he was restrained. And I felt rather sorry for him, really, because he had been taking his meds and he had been attending his therapy and he was coming undone anyway. This was after an ice storm, he'd been without power for a week, and he'd just found out his 12 year-old son had bi-polar disorder. I guess the stress was just too much.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 8:37 pm

:( That is sad.

I'm not surprised to read in this latest case that the shooter had a felony record and should not have had a gun. They don't know how he obtained it at this point.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 23 Mar , 2011 10:17 pm
bioalchemist

We just had a case of a robbery gone wrong in Boulder where someone shot a college kid at point-blank range. He, the shooter, wasn't allowed to have a gun either. And, just to make it even weirder, he was a manager at a local lunch spot frequented by students and that lunch spot is just blocks from where he murdered that kid. I'm not sure what he thought he was doing, prowling for wallets in the same neighborhood he works in.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2011 1:04 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Quote:
More police are killed in auto accidents than by firearms each year. Blame the guns. There's that European Gun Fetish again.

Um, so because heart attacks kill more people than cervical cancer then cervical cancer is not a problem worth tackling. Just trying to work out your logic there.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 36 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: