The Last Homely Site on the Web

What is going on?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 36 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: Re: What is going on?
Posted: Fri 25 Mar , 2011 11:02 pm

MariaHobbit wrote:
1. an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.
Sounds appropriate.
ToshoftheWuffingas wrote:
Quote:
More police are killed in auto accidents than by firearms each year. Blame the guns. There's that European Gun Fetish again.
Um, so because heart attacks kill more people than cervical cancer then cervical cancer is not a problem worth tackling. Just trying to work out your logic there.
No, because heart attacks kill more people than cervical cancer then we can't say that cervical cancer is a bigger problem than heart attacks, and that "cervix control" is not the answer whatever that is.

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 25 Mar , 2011 11:09 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
No, because heart attacks kill more people than cervical cancer then we can't say that cervical cancer is a bigger problem than heart attacks, and that "cervix control" is not the answer whatever that is.
Objection! That sentence should be taken out and shot.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 25 Mar , 2011 11:44 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

With a gun? :uhoh:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2011 3:04 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Quote:
Is this what is called a straw man technique? It wasn't me who introduced the death toll from road accidents as a means of disguising the death toll from guns. I'm perfectly happy for authorities to take effective measures to reduce the road death toll too. In fact what exactly does road deaths have to do with gun fatalities? Other than to muddy an issue?
But, whatever. As I said, America made its decision and has to live with the consequences. It's just a shame for the victims, police officers included.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2011 4:07 am

Actually, instead of saying "cervix control" I should have said "we shouldn't blame cervixes for cervix cancer".

It is a myth that coercion is necessary in order to force people to get along together, but it is a persistent myth because it feeds a desire many people have. That desire is to be able to justify hurting people who have done nothing other than offend them in some way.

Last edited by Cenedril_Gildinaur on Tue Feb 30, 2026 13:61 am; edited 426 times in total

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2011 12:53 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Ignoring cervical cancer is an excellent route towards dying from it.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2011 5:42 pm
of Vinyamar

Eddie Izzard
"They say that 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Well I think the gun helps. If you just stood there and yelled BANG, I don't think you'd kill too many people."

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2011 3:56 pm

Our firearms have killed only animals so far.
They are tools.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 29 Mar , 2011 8:17 am
of Vinyamar

No question.

They're also lethal tools that can easily make their way into the hands of idiots, or the unstable. The same is true of a car, or a knife or any other tool. However, there is some sort of fatal attraction (if you'll pardon the pun) to guns. You don't much hear of people driving their car into a mall to take out as many people as they can, or knife sprees. I think its the American "Gun Fetish" that is the real problem, to borrow CGs phrase and correctly apply it. From Westerns, to Gangster movies, to the oft repeated "well armed militia" trope, there appears to be an American mindset that "when all else fails, use a gun". For some people, that line comes quicker than others, and the gun is the simplest solution to all of life's problems.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2011 4:44 am
Takoyaki is love

I think most people do view guns as tools.In some northern areas of Canada where polar bears migrate a person living up there, certainly needs a gun. The problem is when people look at guns as a solution to interpersonal issues, rather then a tool of survival from some wild hungry or aggressive animal.

Also with US and it's history with guns, there has always been an implied hint of vigilantism. But the US had a different different history. Particularly the Civil War. Canada didn't have a civil war and the resulting distrust of government by much of the citizenry.

(That is as far as I am going to go on this. I broke my rule :doh1: )

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2011 7:30 pm
Daydream Believer

LalaithUrwen wrote:

I'm not surprised to read in this latest case that the shooter had a felony record and should not have had a gun. They don't know how he obtained it at this point.

It is fairly easy to obtain a gun in the US, especially since there are very lax gun laws. Back in the day I was married my ex had a 9mm, that he had bought straight out from his friends...friends that had a drug conviction record. No I don't think the gun was registered anywhere...and my ex sold it after we divorced, again with no record. Buying or obtaining a gun via non-legal ways is easier to do than buying drugs. I could walk out my door, right now, go to a neighbors ask to buy one of his guns, we'd negotiate a price and viola I'd have an unregistered gun. easy peasy. Of course if I had an unregistered gun I'd loose my CCW license, so I don't own an unregistered gun. But I'm a law abiding citizens, and there in lies the point, most criminals aren't law abiding citizens and will never have a registered gun in their name, sure it might be in the person they stole it froms name but it won't be in their name.

And as the economy gets worse and people start to go hungry and the anti-government we hate the black man president mentalilty grows it's going to get worse for law enforcement. The consequences of all the hate retoric will have an effect. Look at Japan, the amout of looting and the amount of hate the government speech is where?

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Wed 30 Mar , 2011 7:40 pm
Daydream Believer

Excuse the double post but I didn't want to edit the last one again... :roll:

On one side we have the 'We hate government' people who are pissed off at the government

On the other side we have 'the government owes us' people who are pissed off at the government.

And in the middle we have the silent majority who has aboslutely no voice in the media anymore. none. No one is saying but we are the government, sure there are problems but all this hate retoric has to stop.

The extreme right (Beck, Palin, ect.) and the extreme left (Pelosi, Sanders) are freaking arguing over the arrangement of the freaking deck chairs on the Titanic..

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2011 6:35 am
bioalchemist

Some guns are tools. But a handgun was designed and made for the same purpose as a sword: killing other human beings. Best not to forget that.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2011 1:37 pm

Pistols are boring. My husband bought one last year and I just kind of rolled my eyes. Why get something so inaccurate? I'd rather have a rifle or a shotgun any day of the week if I ever felt the need to kill anything.

I know, I know, they are meant for close in work. Some people use them to shoot snakes- but since I have a live and let live policy for snakes, I really don't have a use for a pistol. He uses ours for target shooting- so it's a hand/eye coordination game for him.

When we were in college, he was on the university rifle team and went to competitions across the country, so target shooting is a long term off and on again hobby with him. Neither of us have any expectation or intention of ever using that pistol on a human being. It *could* happen, but it's just as likely to be a cast iron skillet to the back of the head for any intruder I can sneak up on.

Which, I do realize, would probably be lethal. :( People on tv are always surviving blows to the head with hard objects, but a fractured skull isn't something you just bounce back up from.

Not that we are going to have any sneak thieves at our place... not with a 135 lb dog roaming the yard outside, alert for intruders. Not long ago on a weekend, we heard the dogs start barking outside, looked out the window and saw a sheriff's deputy patrol car backing out of our driveway like they'd wanted to come talk to us but thought better of it when they saw our big dog. He's a total sweetie, but his job is to bark and warn intruders off, and I guess it's working on people now, too.

As long as bad guys refrain from killing our dogs, we won't have any unauthorized intruders.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Thu 31 Mar , 2011 3:08 pm
bioalchemist

Criminals prefer easy targets. Large dogs present complications.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Posted: Mon 04 Apr , 2011 9:11 pm

Riverthalos wrote:
Some guns are tools. But a handgun was designed and made for the same purpose as a sword: killing other human beings. Best not to forget that.
The reason to own a handgun is to give you time to get to your rifle. That's its purpose. "Killing other human beings" is entirely within the intent of the operator.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 36 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: