The Last Homely Site on the Web

Old Hag Syndrome / Sleep Paralysis

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 31 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Jonny
Post subject: Re: Old Hag Syndrome / Sleep Paralysis
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2011 12:39 pm
pixel-pusher

New development! I had some sort of night terror last night where I thought someone was being killed under my bed, woke up screaming my fool head off and had my bed pulled halfway across my room before I realized I was not in my right mind.

I'm going to have to have an awkward conversation with my roommate later today......... hahaha!!

Also yay my work had blocked posting on message boards for a while which is why I've been MIA but looks like I can again... for now... :whistle:

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2011 12:49 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That's scary, Jonny! :(

(And yay for unblocked messageboards! :cow: )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2011 1:17 pm
pixel-pusher

It's awfully weird. Did I mention in my first post that my mom has stuff like this happen to her? She's never been diagnosed with anything but as I grew up she always had episodes of "waking dreams"... eyes open and moving around the house, cognizant of her surroundings, but also with dreamlike elements. She'd think family members were stuck in the walls, for example, so she'd be trying to get to them. Really weird stuff.

I don't know if it's related to the old hag syndrome thing but I would imagine it is. Last night's sleep terror was the most um.... physical :D I've had in a while (I was literally dragging my queen sized bed across the room).

Gosh if I'm doing this stuff at 25 I can't wait to meet myself at 85 :D

“And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.”

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2011 1:30 pm

I'll bet there's some kind of genetic component. Something is going awry in your sleep cycles to allow you to be physically mobile. Normally you're supposed to be paralyzed. (And paralyzed and not aware of that fact.)

This had me thinking the other day about those times when you're first falling asleep, you dream that you fall or something, and then you jerk your body. I wonder if you enter REM too soon, i.e., before your body has been immobilized. ??

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonny
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2011 2:15 pm
pixel-pusher

Possibly!! I've wondered about the whole jerk your body thing, too. I just e-mailed my mom about it. I wonder if the adderall I'm on now too created this most recent episode. Hmmmmmmmmmnnn. I do find it all really interesting. (Less so when it's actually happening)

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2011 4:00 pm
Aspiring to heresy

LalaithUrwen wrote:
This had me thinking the other day about those times when you're first falling asleep, you dream that you fall or something, and then you jerk your body.
Wow, that happens to you too? That's happened infrequently to me ever since I was a kid, but never heard about it happening to anyone else.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2011 4:16 pm

Happens to me too. I hate it!

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2011 4:23 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I've often wondered if it's the same mechanism that produces seizures in epileptics.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 10 Jul , 2011 6:22 pm

Yes, it happens to me on an infrequent basis, and it happened much more when I was a kid. I don't know if it could be the same mechanism that causes seizures. I doubt it. I really do think it might be a matter of your brain going faster than your neurotransmitters. IOW, you get into REM before your body is immobilized.

Hmmm... (runs off to google...)

Well, here's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

And this:

http://yoursleep.aasmnet.org/Disorder.aspx?id=17

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 11 Jul , 2011 1:31 pm

I thought that happened to everybody. :scratch:

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 02 Nov , 2011 6:34 pm

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011 ... n-students
An article about sleep paralysis, and it asks for comments if you've experienced it. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 31 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: