Kim Jong-Il is dead

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Riverthalos
Post subject: Kim Jong-Il is dead
Posted: Mon 19 Dec , 2011 5:48 am
bioalchemist

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korean-lead ... 48603.html
Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Kim Jong Il, North Korea's mercurial and enigmatic leader whose iron rule and nuclear ambitions dominated world security fears for more than a decade, has died. He was 69.

Kim's death 17 years after he inherited power from his father was announced Monday by the state television from the North Korean capital, Pyongyang. The country's "Dear Leader" — reputed to have had a taste for cigars, cognac and gourmet cuisine — was believed to have had diabetes and heart disease.

North Korea has been grooming Kim's third son to take over power from his father in the impoverished nation that celebrates the ruling family with an intense cult of personality.

South Korea put its military on "high alert" and President Lee Myung-bak convened a national security council meeting after the news of Kim's death.

In a "special broadcast" Monday, state media said Kim died of a heart ailment on a train due to a "great mental and physical strain" on Saturday during a "high intensity field inspection."
It's hard to say what's going on with North Korea. Hopefully, the transition to power will be smooth. Hopefully, the new leader won't care to indulge in excess saber-rattling. Hopefully, the South Korean government won't do anything stupid. Hopefully, the Korean Peninsula will stay peaceful. Hopefully.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Kim Jong-Il is dead
Posted: Mon 19 Dec , 2011 2:13 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Those were all of my thoughts last night when I heard he'd died. :neutral: There is a lot of potential for the situation to get even worse, but I'm hopeful that it may, instead, get better.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 19 Dec , 2011 4:34 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I think it's cool that I get a big piece of news like that from b77 first rather than from the CBC :D

This could play out several ways. Let's wait and see...

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 20 Dec , 2011 3:33 pm

That's my reaction, too, Jude. :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium”
Jump to: