The Last Homely Site on the Web

The tragedy of Sandy Hook

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Berhael
Post subject: Re: The tragedy of Sandy Hook
Posted: Wed 19 Dec , 2012 8:51 pm
Milk and kisses

Tragedies such as this and Beslan horrify me beyond words since I've had children. I'm sorry I cannot contribute anything eloquent or even coherent - all I feel is overpowering grief that those precious lives were lost in such a horrific way. :(

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Sat 22 Dec , 2012 3:09 am
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Tue 25 Dec , 2012 10:08 pm
Milk and kisses

Absolutely, Jude. :(

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Sat 29 Dec , 2012 6:00 am

Yes, sadly the drone strikes are killing children as collateral damage in Pakistan and Yemen. A common enough occurrence that it was written into the TV show Homeland. Peace on Earth... yeah, right.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Fri 26 Apr , 2013 12:51 am

I see after a few months the children are forgotten and the U.S. senate voted down background checks. :nono:

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 26 Apr , 2013 1:15 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I've not forgotten the children at all. There was a touching photo spread in the People magazine I was just reading through. It was incredibly sad and heartbreaking. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Fri 26 Apr , 2013 12:43 pm

Dwyn, I don't understand Congress at all, any more. Polls show that the majority of Americans (I think it's even the majority of NRA members) are in favor of better background checks and extending them to things like gun shows. But our representatives voted against them.

On the other hand, individual states are not sitting on their hands. Some of them have been passing new laws.
[Edit: Never mind this bit. I happen to live in a state that has gun control laws, but it looks like while some states have been passing stronger laws, other states are weakening the few laws they have. http://news.yahoo.com/state-laws-illust ... 18135.html And gun advocates are suing the legislatures of the states that have strengthened their laws.]

What I find odd is that, whenever there's another tragedy and schoolchildren are killed, the news media mention the killings at the public schools (Columbine, etc.), but they always leave out the Amish children who were killed in their school by that nutter.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: