The Last Homely Site on the Web

Escaping the Echo Chamber

Post Reply   Page 12 of 12  [ 225 posts ]
Jump to page « 18 9 10 11 12
Dave_LF
Post subject: Re: Escaping the Echo Chamber
Posted: Wed 22 Sep , 2021 3:41 pm
You are hearing me talk

An interesting factoid is that actual efficacy rates are likely to be even higher than those measured because so much of the unvaccinated population has already recovered from the disease and become immune, which means the unvaxxed group "performs" better than it would otherwise (some studies do try to exclude the previously-infected, but it's not always easy to figure out who they are).

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Wed 22 Sep , 2021 4:21 pm
A green apple painted red

Right, and this is not a study, it's public health data. Someone will dig through it to sort out confounders.

Previous infections are one, among both groups. Age - vaccinated people tend to be older and more vulnerable to infections. Other preventive measures - it's possible that vaccinated people are more careful with mask wearing OR that they are more likely to spend time among people and rely on vaccine. The fact that the two groups are likely to socialize with the like-minded group. How likely they are to be tested, especially in view of the testing mandate for the unvaccinated. Etc., etc.

But while the exact number will need to be refined, when seen in context of death and hospitalization numbers, there's really no doubt that vaccines are extremely effective.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Fri 24 Sep , 2021 1:00 pm
Try to stay perky

Dave_LF wrote:
An interesting factoid is that actual efficacy rates are likely to be even higher than those measured because so much of the unvaccinated population has already recovered from the disease and become immune, which means the unvaxxed group "performs" better than it would otherwise (some studies do try to exclude the previously-infected, but it's not always easy to figure out who they are).
I seem to remember reading that immunity post-infection fades significantly. Am I misremembering?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 24 Sep , 2021 1:13 pm
You are hearing me talk

You're probably not misremembering given that nearly every possible claim has been made by someone somewhere, but it's not true. Post-infection aka "natural" (blah) immunity is holding up as well as or better than vaccine-induced.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 24 Sep , 2021 7:19 pm
A green apple painted red

IIRC, an Israeli study found that post-infection immunity holds up somewhat longer than the vaccine induced one, especially if the illness was severe.

Given that the entire point of the vaccine is to avoid severe illness, that information seems to be of limited usefulness.

Added - case in point
20210925_092205.jpg

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 12 of 12  [ 225 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 18 9 10 11 12
Jump to: