The Last Homely Site on the Web

More Bad News.....She's gone to join my Dad

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 89 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 6:27 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Your mom has some courage to do that! I'm glad that she chose the right thing for her health. I'm sure this will take some weight off your shoulders knowing that she'll be cared for. :hug:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 1:44 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

That must be a huge weight off your mind Sunsilver.:)

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 2:48 pm

Sunsilver- I was on vacation when you wrote your mom had a stroke, and only knew something was amiss because of a comment you made in another thread. :(

I am happy for you and your brother that it worked out with the nursing home. I wish your mom a good recovery of functions. I can imagine her body is working to repair itself, as with strokes- it takes time to determine the lasting damage.

And reading this thread, I am once again shocked at the state of the health care system. :Q You did the right thing!
Thinking about you and praying for you :hug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 7:42 pm

As we expected, my mom passed away peacefully in her sleep sometime early this morning.

We knew she was going, when she lost awareness and began to breathe very rapidly earlier yesterday. We had her minister come in and give her last rites. The last thing I told her before I left the hospital that it was okay to let go and join my Dad, who died early in May of last year. They would have been 60 years married this July.

Rest in peace, Mom. You gave it a good fight. I'm glad you were able to live the way you chose, right up until the last few weeks.

Visitiation is tomorrow. Funeral is Wednesday. The movers come tomorrow, to move the last of my stuff out. I have a painter working here (my cousin, so I trust him to leave him to work alone) and my dog is coming home from the vets tonight. Eulogy to write, phone calls to make, flowers, etc. etc. Can you hear me going crazy??

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
oldtoby
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 7:54 pm
Cuddly Studmuffin

Oh, I'm so sorry :hug: Thank god she passed in peace.
Quote:
Can you hear me going crazy??
Well if it gets too much pop in here and we will smother you with hugses for as long as you need. (I knnow I will anyways) :)

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 8:00 pm
Not so deep as a well

Don't let the business of death overwhelm what you need to do, sunsilver, which is grieve for a good life. So few of us have any say so in the manner of our passings...your Mom got a gift in doing so.

And I am humbled by your willingness to share your feelings.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 8:16 pm

Sunsilver, take a deep breath. Take many deep breaths, or at least as many as you can with all the virtual hugs you're getting. :hug:

So many losses!

I hope you find that peaceful center within yourself where the hectic things-to-do fall away and you can rest in grateful communion with the lives that have touched yours.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 8:22 pm
Same as it ever was

Sunsilver -

I have held off saying things that may be misconstrued, but your mother passed very much the same way that my own grandmother did just four years ago, she had been in poor health with numerous bleeding problems, due to a very low clotting factor, followed by a series of debilitating medical problems that left her just a shadow of herself, and on top of that, towards the very end, unable to recognize any family members except her own two daughters, the rest she could not remember. She passed away at age 92 on March 3, 2001. She went peacefully, and had hopefully not suffered too much, all of the really serious problems had only happened within the previous fifteen months. She had a living will, which my mother and aunt fully honored.

We did not have a funeral but instead chose to have a life affirming memorial service. The internment was extremely private, only a handful of family attended, because for us as a whole, it was more important to remember my grandmother for who she was, and what she did, and the family that she left behind to remember her by. She had been predeceased by her husband in 1947, and then her eldest child and only son in 1993. She was survived by two daughters, nine grandchildren, and 24 great grandchildren, plus numerous other relatives. It was a wonderful celebration of her life, we all managed to get there from all over the country, and thankfully, all of us had had the time to come to terms with her deterioriating health and her happiness at being able to move on. As the oldest grandchild, I remember all too well what she was like when she was vital and full of life, and she knew ahead of time that her time was coming, and I will always remember her as she was, not at what her body had made her become at the very end.

Peace, Sunsilver. As long as those that lived are remembered, they are never ever gone, and your mother is in a better place, I am sure of it, even not being a Christian any longer, but her spirit has been freed and is able to rejoin those that have already moved on.

You are left to deal with the pain and the heartache, but, take some time to remember and grieve and appreciate and love and know that you are not alone. She sounds like she had a full life and a remembered life, and after all, what could be more important in the long run? She has those that knew her to carry the memories forward. If she could want anything, I am sure that this would be the best epitaph that she could have. To know that she was loved and made a difference to the people she cared about in the long run.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Anthriel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 8:30 pm
Seeking my nitid muliebrity

Wow, friend... I'm so sorry about your loss, and the pain it brings.

I wish I could be there to help you move! Or paint! I'm a darned good painter, really I am! Help you pick out flowers! Dust! Vacuum! Walk the dog! I love dogs!

I'd even cook, if it came right down to it, although you might want to pass on that, in general... ;)

The point is, all I really CAN offer you is virtual hugs, and hope that that helps, at least a little. You really are a special person, Ms. Sunsilver... and it really is tough to see such a neat person go through such profound and repeated pain.

:hug:

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 8:36 pm
Garrulous Griffon

:grouphug: Sunsilver ...

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 8:43 pm
A green apple painted red

Sunsilver - :hug:
I'll be thinking of you.

I would second what Axordil said - your business now is grieving. I hope you accept all offers of help, and I hope you receive many of them.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 9:01 pm
Best friends forever

My sympathy and the kindest wishes of my heart, Sunsilver. :hug:

Your mum was a lucky woman to have you as her daughter. In time your memories of your life with her will only be sweet, just now the pain is too fresh. Let yourself grieve and feel the pain, it is necessary for healing.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 9:03 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

You have had your fill of grief. There will be a lot of things claiming your attention now and I hope they don't make you crazy but keep your conscious mind busy. Later when you have the calm to reflect slowly you will be able to remember what the people you have lost have done in their lives and how they have helped to make you the person you are.
You have a lot of friends here.

Profile Quote
Lacemaker
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 9:20 pm

All my sympathy, and a big :grouphug:

She will help you get through this.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 9:42 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I wish there was something I could really do for you.

More than thinking of you and sending you many smiles and hugs.

I hope you will get through this, and I am glad to know you.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 9:51 pm

She certainly had a nice, long life. I'm glad her pain is over, but I sympathize with the sorrow you must be feeling. :hug:

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 9:52 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I'm glad it was peaceful, Sunsilver. I wish I knew what to say, but I just don't.

I'm thinking of you. :(

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 9:57 pm
Milk and kisses

Oh Sunsilver :( I hope you have peace and tranquility away from grief soon, I can't think of anyone who deserves it more than you. :hug:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 10:06 pm

Sunsilver, my sincere condolences.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 10:12 pm
Living in hope

Sunsilver, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope it can help you to know that a lot of people are thinking of you and praying for you.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 89 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: