board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Jury Duty

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Jury Duty
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 4:22 pm

I just got the following notice in the mail. I find the wording rather irritating, and would like to know how these things are handled in other parts of the world.

Here's what it says:
Quote:
SUMMONS FOR JURY SERVICE

You are hereby summoned to serve on jury duty for the one-week term of service noted below. Pursuant to Missouri Law, Section 494.450 (RSMo, 2004), a person who is summoned for jury service and who willfully fails to appear or to respond to the juror qualification form is guilty of civil contempt and, upon conviction, may be fined up to $500 and ordered to perform community service equal to the time that would have been spent on actual jury service.

Instructions:
YOU MUST CALL the number below each day after 4:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday during your week of jury duty. When you call, a taped message will notify you as to whether you are required to appear for jury duty the following day and at what time.

If required to appear, you must come to the jury assembly room located in the Boone County Courthouse, 705 East Walnut Street, Columbia, Missouri.

You may request one postponement of your jury service if you agree to appear at a date no later than 6 months (12 months for a full time student) from the date of appearance on this summons. You must request a postponement by stating the reason for the request in person, by telephone, or in writing to the Jury Commission Board.

PARKING is provided in the parking garage located just south of the courthouse. Park in “public” parking spaces. Do not park in “permit” or “reserved” parking spaces. Bring your parking receipt to the courthouse to be validated. Jurors who park in “permit” or “reserved” spaces will not be reimbursed ticket or tow costs.

Please inform your employer that you are required to appear for jury duty.

If you have questions about your jury service please call. If you require an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please call the above number as soon as possible.

Week of service:
03/28/05 through 04/01/05
And then, on the back side of the notice:

Quote:
Appearance for Jury Duty is Critical

Failure to appear for jury duty can have serious consequences both for the court and for the individual who has failed to appear.

If you are absent from jury duty, the trial judge may issue a “Show Cause Order”. If you do not appear as required by the Show Cause Order, the trial judge may issue an “Order of Body Attachment”. Upon that order being served, you could be required to either post an appearance bond or be placed in jail until you are taken before the judge in open court to show cause why you should not be held in contempt.

Please call if there is a problem!

Is that all just a bit over the top? Or is it just me? I think it is unnecessarily rude, myself.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 5:02 pm
Not so deep as a well

They're just used to people desparately trying to blow off service.
don't take it personally.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Maeglin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 6:49 pm

I find it a rather rude mail indeed.

What i was wondering though, do you get anything for going through all the trouble?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 6:51 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I've no idea what the UK paperwork looks like (my Mum barely told us a thing when she did it, of course) but I would hope it'd be more polite than that. If you were already nervous of the law that'd put the fear of god into you!

And there's no mention of financial recompense for the days you wouldn't be working?

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
laureanna
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 7:11 pm
Triathlete

Leaoba - some employers pay full days wages for the person serving. Mine does.

If you have only limited time, you might want to volunteer for coroner's inquest duty. Usually only takes a day and is facinating. The case I served on concerned a gal who died of an overdose. We had to rule that it was suicide, homicide, accidental or unknown. There were plenty of conflicting bits of evidence - new experimental drug with unknown toxicity, ditsy gal who couldn't remember if she had already taken her pills, drug-dealer boyfriend who often stole her pills (so we don't know how many she actually took), she just started a new job and was acting very hopeful, and a few other things. Anyway, an interesting way to pass the day.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 7:56 pm

They will pay gas money for mileage for people to go to the jury selection process, and if you get picked for a jury, you get some minor amount of money per day. My employer will pay regular wages for days missed due to jury duty, but that wasn't an issue for me.

I think they ought to start out on a positive note, and remind people how important it is, and how they will be helping decide someone's fate and are vital to the way our nation functions.

Do a pep talk, and THEN drag out all the penalties for non-compliance. The way it's worded now, it implies that I am one of the people who would ignore such a thing. And I'm not. And that offends me.

I think I'll complain.

To them, I mean!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TIGG
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 8:15 pm
bouncing forward, eyes straight ahead

I can't be called for Jury service, literally I don't get to do it.

Because I live 40km's from the local courthouse.

But I think the wording is very similar on our summons, very arbitary. You feel like replying "Sieg Hiel" (spelling is hopeless today, headache from hell...self induced so do NOT sympathise.)

I had one summons it arrived for a court hearing 200km's away. I phoned and told them I had moved to another district and I have never had another one.

[ img ]

Horsin' Around with Mista Strikey.

Profile Quote
Athrabeth
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 8:38 pm
Nameless

Here's a link to how the information is presented in my corner of the world. A little kinder and gentler, don't you think?

http://www.ag.gov.bc.ca/courts/general/ ... nglish.htm

[ img ]
"The pie that can be eaten is not the Eternal Pie."

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 8:46 pm
Not so deep as a well

Those damn Canadiens! So reasonable, so polite! What are they up to, anyway?

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 11:06 pm

Almost makes ya want move north of the border.

And then I remember the weather.

Jury notices are pretty the same throughout the U.S., I would think. Certainly ours are pretty similar to what Maria got.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 05 Mar , 2005 11:49 pm
through the looking glass

I'm not eligible. Still a British subject.

:D

I think the harsh language is due to the fact that so many people have failed to take them seriously in the past. ie: they go in the circular file;
which has the undesirable effect of limiting the jury pool.

I believe (Voronwe can correct me if I'm wrong) California pays $12.00 per day. It used to be $5.00.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject: Re: Jury Duty
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 2:46 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

MariaHobbit wrote:
Is that all just a bit over the top? Or is it just me? I think it is unnecessarily rude, myself.
For your information, IE wrote it. :devil:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Mar , 2005 3:38 am

Athrabeth,
That's so much better! I'm jealous!

Lidless,
:roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote