board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

By popular demand: The MBTI

Post Reply   Page 14 of 15  [ 285 posts ]
Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 15 »
What is your Myers-Briggs personality type?
INTP

13% [ 9 ]
INTJ

19% [ 14 ]
ENTP

1% [ 1 ]
ENTJ

3% [ 2 ]
INFP

18% [ 13 ]
INFJ

14% [ 10 ]
ENFP

4% [ 3 ]
ENFJ

6% [ 4 ]
ISTJ

10% [ 7 ]
ISFJ

8% [ 6 ]
Other SJ

1% [ 1 ]
SP

3% [ 2 ]
Total votes: 72
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 May , 2006 11:53 pm

It definatley seems related to the MBTI, and might be part of explaining why its the case.

Can you tell us anything about the test or the theory behind it?

[Space for Rent]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 May , 2006 1:49 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Well, yes, we're interested, yovi. In particular, do they have scientific proof to backup their claims about electrical resistance in the brain? Also, how does one get to take this test? And what were your results and what do they mean?

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 25 May , 2006 2:12 am

I'll try to answer more later but:
Quote:
And what were your results and what do they mean?

My results are summarized in those lines in that first graph. (I'm just learning about this). I'm a "DOUBLE FRONTAL" which they (too) briefly describe thusly:
DOUBLE FRONTALS are conceptual, scientific and strategic. Their focus is on growth, expansion and trouble-shooting.
Their underlying assumptions are that: the most powerful and desirable growth is innovative; and that long-term strategies
offer more opportunity because "the greater the risk, the greater the win."
In MBTIish terms, it loosely means a strong capacity - a blending of sorts - for both NT and SP style of thinking. The theory (which I'm starting to buy) is that in my adolescence (the blue lines in the graph) I showed an extremely strong SP preference with very high NT competency but in my adulthood scaled back my SPness. This can happen for several reasons (which they discuss) but most likely because the SPness was discouraged over other traits (or, more specifically in my case, I modelled myself to my NT-living father and brother). So, in summary, I have "HIGH competency" for NTishness, but a natural "VERY HIGH/COMMITTED competency" in SPishness. Loosely. The four quadrants fall a bit differently then MBTI's four types (most notably, I thought, that SFJs, seem to fall in the Basal Right along with the NFs).

They also couple this info with a scale for Extro/Intro-version. A 12 is the highest on the scale - I got an 11, pegging me as a Double Frontal "Extreme" Introvert.

More later.
:Wooper:

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 26 May , 2006 9:24 pm

Quote:
Despite these truths, experience has shown that a person's natural Preference is often overshadowed or obscured by environmental pressures. Indeed, a key problem for many people is that "all factors" are not "equal". Many environments (families, organizations, companies and cultures) regularly reward certain types of thinking, while ignoring or punishing others. This imbalance often causes people to develop and use Non-Preferred Competencies heavily. Dr. Carl Jung called this reliance on non-preferred competencies "Falsifying Type ." The costs of falsifying type frequently, over time, include chronic fatigue, irritability, depression and diminished productivity. For more on the costs of Falsifying Type, see Thriving In Mind , especially Chapter 8 which discusses PASS, the medical syndrome that often accompanies Falsifying Type.
What book are they talking about? I'm very interested in this, because I was "falsifying type" for a significant chunk of my life.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 26 May , 2006 10:21 pm

Indeed you were, Maria. I thought of you a lot when going through this stuff because you were the clearest case of falsifying I knew of. The book is here:

Thriving In Mind

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 May , 2006 1:54 pm

Oh! Duh! "Thriving in Mind" IS the title. :) Thanks! :)

Hmmmmm, that's interesting. That's the first time I've seen a book for sale on Amazon that had NO description at all, nor any reviews. :scratch: What is the whole book about?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 May , 2006 1:59 pm

I haven't read the book (don't have it) but my impression is that it's the same sort of thing that Kinsey does in Please Understand Me, though this system is more thorough than MBTI.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 May , 2006 3:40 pm

It looks like I could get the book as part of the testing package, if I felt like spending that much money....

http://www.benziger.org/content/view/71/38/

Surely someone has a copycat free online test by now???

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 May , 2006 3:58 pm

Ouch. I doubt it. I got to take it for free cuz my sister knows the couple who administers the test.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Jun , 2006 7:42 pm

I found a list of symptoms for those experiencing "PASS", Prolonged Adaptation Stress Syndrome as a result of falsifying type.

Fatigue
Hyper-vigilance
Immune system alterations
Memory impairment
Altered brain chemistry
Diminished frontal lobe functions
Discouragement and or depression
Self-esteem problems

Fatigue- I used to be tired all the time

Hyper-vigilance- I was a terribly hyper vigilent mom, such that all my relatives seem negligent to me nowadays.

Immune system alterations- I used to have seasonal allergies, now I don't

Memory impairment- There are some incidents from my "Mom of young children" phase that are completely gone- including a whole visit by inlaws in their travel trailer.

Altered brain chemistry- how would I know?

Diminished frontal lobe functions- ditto

Discouragement and or depression- I used to get really, really unstable during PMS, and now I hardly notice it.

Self-esteem problems- Errrrr... aren't big egos a bad thing? ;) Although my husband does NOT understand my complete disinterest in having our kids treat me with "respect". I'd rather have affection and understanding any day over "respect". I'm not even sure what respect is, really.

I've been getting steadily better over the past couple of years, since I've admitted I'm an INFP instead of an ISTJ. I don't know if the improvements are due to being true to type, though, or just part of meditative energy healing. :shrug:

I'll probably never truely get over it, though, since I spent half of my expected lifespan acting like an ISTJ. Today, my job required a rather intense session of using ISTJ-like skills, and as I was driving off to lunch afterwards, I could feel an uncomfortable tightness of concentration of mental energies in my head. It took a deliberate effort to relax again. If the theory is correct that it physically takes more energy to work against type, then it would make sense that I could feel the strain upon having to slip back into that role.

Perhaps working against type is why I never really learned to socialize with people face to face. I was so very concentrated on accomplishing the task at hand that there was no attention left for anything else.

I wonder what I would be good at, and enjoy for a job? The main benefit of the job I'm in is that it gives me lots of time to roam the net, which is very much suited to my 'real' type. :D I'm not sure I want to change!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject: Re: By popular demand: The MBTI
Posted: Mon 05 Jan , 2009 3:08 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

I'm having to take this test for my Human Dimensions forestry class.

Today, I tested ENFJ. When I took the test on here a few years ago, I was ENFP. Some I'm in between Teacher and Motivator. :banana: Still an idealist, biatch!

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 05 Jan , 2009 3:59 am

I do occasionally test as an INFP, though on the better tests I am consistently an INTP. I noticed that my P score was much lower tonight than normal. I think it's because I'm in planning mode, so I'm a little more focused than usual.

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lurker
Posted: Thu 08 Jan , 2009 4:54 am

The first time I took the test I was an INTP but after taking two tests at work I am definitely an INTJ.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 08 Jan , 2009 5:11 am

Awww, well, I still like you, Lurker. :neutral:

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 30 Jun , 2009 3:47 pm

Do you suppose a teenager's personality type can mature into another one? My youngest daughter, Jeni, has been an ESFP since I first got her to take the test at about 9 years old. She's now 18, and acting more like an ESFJ. She's more vocal about condemning bad behavior of her friends. More certain about what is right and what is wrong and choosing *right*. She's been moving towards this for about the last year and a half, and now she's even cleaned up her room! :Q Could it be? Should I read up on ESFJs now?

Or is it just a choice she's making, to tone down the "P"? To become more "J"? Or maybe she's just smart enough to emulate a "J" to get along in society better?

I dunno.
It's kind of confusing-- I thought people came with certain personality traits that were immutable. :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 30 Jun , 2009 4:05 pm

I think the traits can change. I think the real question is, "Do they really change, or will the person eventually go back to her true self as she matures and accepts herself for who she is?" Or "Will the change be permanent?"

(This was me, I think. I was a different person in my 20s than I was as a teenager and than I am now.)

Also, she could just be maturing and moving away from an extreme end of a trait to more of a borderline.

ESFJs are pretty cool, btw. ;) Freddy is one. :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 16 Jul , 2009 8:40 pm

After I read up on the ESFJs, I'm certain she's still a ESFP-- she's just mellowing out some. :)

It's kind of interesting- I've been reading a messageboard devoted to people dealing with being "empaths" and introduced the topic of MBTI-- and almost ALL of them so far who have taken the test test as an "NF" of one sort or another.

It's what I expected, really, but the comments from people who haven't heard about the MBTI before are rather fun. The idea that there is a personality type out there that fits one like a glove is quite welcome to people who have spent so much of their lives certain they are weird and abnormal and that something is terribly *wrong* with them. :)

edit: that smiley looks out of place with that sentance, but it makes me happy to provide a bit of normalcy to a messageboard that is .... well... a bit *out* there with some of the proposed theories.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 16 Jul , 2009 9:14 pm
The best things in life are not things

Ok...I just did the test several times, and I came out as an ISFJ - some of those questions are so difficult to answer! One time I came out an an ISTJ so I'm probably borderline, but definitely more of an ISFJ. In fact, I found another test which is much simpler & quicker, and it confirmed it for me 100%

http://www.personalitytype.com/career_quiz

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Fri 17 Jul , 2009 10:42 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

It's been a few years since I've done this test, and I know I've changed a bit in the meantime, so I thought I would take it again. There were three different online versions that I took, and in each case my result was the same. Apparently, I am now an ISFP.

Quote:
The Artist

As an ISFP, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit into your value system. Your secondary mode is external, where you take things in via your five sense in a literal, concrete fashion.

ISFPs live in the world of sensation possibilities. They are keenly in tune with the way things look, taste, sound, feel and smell. They have a strong aesthetic appreciation for art, and are likely to be artists in some form, because they are unusually gifted at creating and composing things which will strongly affect the senses. They have a strong set of values, which they strive to consistently meet in their lives. They need to feel as if they're living their lives in accordance with what they feel is right, and will rebel against anything which conflicts with that goal. They're likely to choose jobs and careers which allow them the freedom of working towards the realization of their value-oriented personal goals.

ISFPs tend to be quiet and reserved, and difficult to get to know well. They hold back their ideas and opinions except from those who they are closest to. They are likely to be kind, gentle and sensitive in their dealings with others. They are interested in contributing to people's sense of well-being and happiness, and will put a great deal of effort and energy into tasks which they believe in.

ISFPs have a strong affinity for aesthetics and beauty. They're likely to be animal lovers, and to have a true appreciation for the beauties of nature. They're original and independent, and need to have personal space. They value people who take the time to understand the ISFP, and who support the ISFP in pursuing their goals in their own, unique way. People who don't know them well may see their unique way of life as a sign of carefree light-heartedness, but the ISFP actually takes life very seriously, constantly gathering specific information and shifting it through their value systems, in search for clarification and underlying meaning.

ISFPs are action-oriented individuals. They are "doers", and are usually uncomfortable with theorizing concepts and ideas, unless they see a practical application. They learn best in a "hands-on" environment, and consequently may become easily bored with the traditional teaching methods, which emphasize abstract thinking. They do not like impersonal analysis, and are uncomfortable with the idea of making decisions based strictly on logic. Their strong value systems demand that decisions are evaluated against their subjective beliefs, rather than against some objective rules or laws.

ISFPs are extremely perceptive and aware of others. They constantly gather specific information about people, and seek to discover what it means. They are usually penetratingly accurate in their perceptions of others.

ISFPs are warm and sympathetic. They genuinely care about people, and are strongly service-oriented in their desire to please. They have an unusually deep well of caring for those who are close to them, and are likely to show their love through actions, rather than words.

ISFPs have no desire to lead or control others, just as they have no desire to be led or controlled by others. They need space and time alone to evaluate the circumstances of their life against their value system, and are likely to respect other people's needs for the same.

The ISFP is likely to not give themself enough credit for the things which they do extremely well. Their strong value systems can lead them to be intensely perfectionist, and cause them to judge themselves with unneccesary harshness.

The ISFP has many special gifts for the world, especially in the areas of creating artistic sensation, and selflessly serving others. Life is not likely to be extremely easy for the ISFP, because they take life so seriously, but they have the tools to make their lives and the lives of those close to them richly rewarding experiences.

Jungian functional preference ordering:

Dominant: Introverted Feeling
Auxilliary: Extraverted Sensing
Tertiary: Introverted Intuition
Inferior: Extraverted Thinking

I also took the test that Enchie linked to.
enchantress wrote:
The Big Five model, or Five Factor Model, alterantively called the "OCEAN" model (as an acronym of the five thingies it entails) is apparently the preffered method of measuring personality nowadays. It views personality as consisting of 5 distinct dimensions: Openness to experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness and Neuroticism. Research psychologists apparently found these 5 clear factors upon analyzing a host of personality test questions and performing factor analysis to see how many and what factors the answers best load onto (statistical procedure that is evil and I cannot begin to explain...rather irrelevant here, fortunatelly.). They also claim that doing a lexical analysis of many languages, personality trait words somehow cluster in these five areas.

These dimensions are factors not types, so people dont fall into categories but vary continuously along each dimension.

The five dimensions are sometimes broken down into more specific subscales. Thus, for example, Neuroticism includes subscales of Anxiety, Anger, Depression, Self-Consciousness, Immoderation, Vulnerability...

The test works on the basis of comparing people to norms within the population.

Here are sites for more info:
http://www.personalityresearch.org/bigfive.html
http://www.centacs.com/quickstart.htm

Here you can take the test, called the IPIP-neo or its short version:
http://www.personalitytest.net/ipip/ipipneo1.htm

The results are quite long, but I've posted them below. Personally, I found this test more interesting, and the results more revealing.

Quote:
A note on terminology. Personality traits describe, relative to other people, the frequency or intensity of a person's feelings, thoughts, or behaviors. Possession of a trait is therefore a matter of degree. We might describe two individuals as extraverts, but still see one as more extraverted than the other. This report uses expressions such as "extravert" or "high in extraversion" to describe someone who is likely to be seen by others as relatively extraverted. The computer program that generates this report classifies you as low, average, or high in a trait according to whether your score is approximately in the lowest 30%, middle 40%, or highest 30% of scores obtained by people of your sex and roughly your age. Your numerical scores are reported and graphed as percentile estimates. For example, a score of "60" means that your level on that trait is estimated to be higher than 60% of persons of your sex and age.

Please keep in mind that "low," "average," and "high" scores on a personality test are neither absolutely good nor bad. A particular level on any trait will probably be neutral or irrelevant for a great many activites, be helpful for accomplishing some things, and detrimental for accomplishing other things. As with any personality inventory, scores and descriptions can only approximate an individual's actual personality. High and low score descriptions are usually accurate, but average scores close to the low or high boundaries might misclassify you as only average. On each set of six subdomain scales it is somewhat uncommon but certainly possible to score high in some of the subdomains and low in the others. In such cases more attention should be paid to the subdomain scores than to the broad domain score. Questions about the accuracy of your results are best resolved by showing your report to people who know you well.

John A. Johnson wrote descriptions of the five domains and thirty subdomains. These descriptions are based on an extensive reading of the scientific literature on personality measurement.

Extraversion

Extraversion is marked by pronounced engagement with the external world. Extraverts enjoy being with people, are full of energy, and often experience positive emotions. They tend to be enthusiastic, action-oriented, individuals who are likely to say "Yes!" or "Let's go!" to opportunities for excitement. In groups they like to talk, assert themselves, and draw attention to themselves.

Introverts lack the exuberance, energy, and activity levels of extraverts. They tend to be quiet, low-key, deliberate, and disengaged from the social world. Their lack of social involvement should not be interpreted as shyness or depression; the introvert simply needs less stimulation than an extravert and prefers to be alone. The independence and reserve of the introvert is sometimes mistaken as unfriendliness or arrogance. In reality, an introvert who scores high on the agreeableness dimension will not seek others out but will be quite pleasant when approached.

Domain/Facet........... Score

Extraversion...............44

Friendliness.............28

Gregariousness...........14

Assertiveness............87

Activity Level...........2

Excitement-Seeking.......51

Cheerfulness.............93

Your score on Extraversion is average, indicating you are neither a subdued loner nor a jovial chatterbox. You enjoy time with others but also time alone.

Extraversion Facets

Friendliness. Friendly people genuinely like other people and openly demonstrate positive feelings toward others. They make friends quickly and it is easy for them to form close, intimate relationships. Low scorers on Friendliness are not necessarily cold and hostile, but they do not reach out to others and are perceived as distant and reserved. Your level of friendliness is low.

Gregariousness. Gregarious people find the company of others pleasantly stimulating and rewarding. They enjoy the excitement of crowds. Low scorers tend to feel overwhelmed by, and therefore actively avoid, large crowds. They do not necessarily dislike being with people sometimes, but their need for privacy and time to themselves is much greater than for individuals who score high on this scale. Your level of gregariousness is low.

Assertiveness. High scorers Assertiveness like to speak out, take charge, and direct the activities of others. They tend to be leaders in groups. Low scorers tend not to talk much and let others control the activities of groups. Your level of assertiveness is high.

Activity Level. Active individuals lead fast-paced, busy lives. They move about quickly, energetically, and vigorously, and they are involved in many activities. People who score low on this scale follow a slower and more leisurely, relaxed pace. Your activity level is low.

Excitement-Seeking. High scorers on this scale are easily bored without high levels of stimulation. They love bright lights and hustle and bustle. They are likely to take risks and seek thrills. Low scorers are overwhelmed by noise and commotion and are adverse to thrill-seeking. Your level of excitement-seeking is average.

Cheerfulness. This scale measures positive mood and feelings, not negative emotions (which are a part of the Neuroticism domain). Persons who score high on this scale typically experience a range of positive feelings, including happiness, enthusiasm, optimism, and joy. Low scorers are not as prone to such energetic, high spirits. Your level of positive emotions is high.

Agreeableness

Agreeableness reflects individual differences in concern with cooperation and social harmony. Agreeable individuals value getting along with others. They are therefore considerate, friendly, generous, helpful, and willing to compromise their interests with others'. Agreeable people also have an optimistic view of human nature. They believe people are basically honest, decent, and trustworthy.

Disagreeable individuals place self-interest above getting along with others. They are generally unconcerned with others' well-being, and therefore are unlikely to extend themselves for other people. Sometimes their skepticism about others' motives causes them to be suspicious, unfriendly, and uncooperative.

Agreeableness is obviously advantageous for attaining and maintaining popularity. Agreeable people are better liked than disagreeable people. On the other hand, agreeableness is not useful in situations that require tough or absolute objective decisions. Disagreeable people can make excellent scientists, critics, or soldiers.

Agreeableness..............66

Trust....................95

Morality.................8

Altruism.................64

Cooperation..............98

Modesty..................1

Sympathy.................75

Your level of Agreeableness is average, indicating some concern with others' Needs, but, generally, unwillingness to sacrifice yourself for others.

Agreeableness Facets

Trust. A person with high trust assumes that most people are fair, honest, and have good intentions. Persons low in trust see others as selfish, devious, and potentially dangerous. Your level of trust is high.

Morality. High scorers on this scale see no need for pretense or manipulation when dealing with others and are therefore candid, frank, and sincere. Low scorers believe that a certain amount of deception in social relationships is necessary. People find it relatively easy to relate to the straightforward high-scorers on this scale. They generally find it more difficult to relate to the unstraightforward low-scorers on this scale. It should be made clear that low scorers are not unprincipled or immoral; they are simply more guarded and less willing to openly reveal the whole truth. Your level of morality is low.

Altruism. Altruistic people find helping other people genuinely rewarding. Consequently, they are generally willing to assist those who are in need. Altruistic people find that doing things for others is a form of self-fulfillment rather than self-sacrifice. Low scorers on this scale do not particularly like helping those in need. Requests for help feel like an imposition rather than an opportunity for self-fulfillment. Your level of altruism is average.

Cooperation. Individuals who score high on this scale dislike confrontations. They are perfectly willing to compromise or to deny their own needs in order to get along with others. Those who score low on this scale are more likely to intimidate others to get their way. Your level of compliance is high.

Modesty. High scorers on this scale do not like to claim that they are better than other people. In some cases this attitude may derive from low self-confidence or self-esteem. Nonetheless, some people with high self-esteem find immodesty unseemly. Those who are willing to describe themselves as superior tend to be seen as disagreeably arrogant by other people. Your level of modesty is low.

Sympathy. People who score high on this scale are tenderhearted and compassionate. They feel the pain of others vicariously and are easily moved to pity. Low scorers are not affected strongly by human suffering. They pride themselves on making objective judgments based on reason. They are more concerned with truth and impartial justice than with mercy. Your level of tender-mindedness is high.

Conscientiousness

Conscientiousness concerns the way in which we control, regulate, and direct our impulses. Impulses are not inherently bad; occasionally time constraints require a snap decision, and acting on our first impulse can be an effective response. Also, in times of play rather than work, acting spontaneously and impulsively can be fun. Impulsive individuals can be seen by others as colorful, fun-to-be-with, and zany.

Nonetheless, acting on impulse can lead to trouble in a number of ways. Some impulses are antisocial. Uncontrolled antisocial acts not only harm other members of society, but also can result in retribution toward the perpetrator of such impulsive acts. Another problem with impulsive acts is that they often produce immediate rewards but undesirable, long-term consequences. Examples include excessive socializing that leads to being fired from one's job, hurling an insult that causes the breakup of an important relationship, or using pleasure-inducing drugs that eventually destroy one's health.

Impulsive behavior, even when not seriously destructive, diminishes a person's effectiveness in significant ways. Acting impulsively disallows contemplating alternative courses of action, some of which would have been wiser than the impulsive choice. Impulsivity also sidetracks people during projects that require organized sequences of steps or stages. Accomplishments of an impulsive person are therefore small, scattered, and inconsistent.

A hallmark of intelligence, what potentially separates human beings from earlier life forms, is the ability to think about future consequences before acting on an impulse. Intelligent activity involves contemplation of long-range goals, organizing and planning routes to these goals, and persisting toward one's goals in the face of short-lived impulses to the contrary. The idea that intelligence involves impulse control is nicely captured by the term prudence, an alternative label for the Conscientiousness domain. Prudent means both wise and cautious. Persons who score high on the Conscientiousness scale are, in fact, perceived by others as intelligent.

The benefits of high conscientiousness are obvious. Conscientious individuals avoid trouble and achieve high levels of success through purposeful planning and persistence. They are also positively regarded by others as intelligent and reliable. On the negative side, they can be compulsive perfectionists and workaholics. Furthermore, extremely conscientious individuals might be regarded as stuffy and boring. Unconscientious people may be criticized for their unreliability, lack of ambition, and failure to stay within the lines, but they will experience many short-lived pleasures and they will never be called stuffy.

Conscientiousness..........23

Self-Efficacy............89

Orderliness..............87

Dutifulness..............2

Achievement-Striving.....1

Self-Discipline..........1

Cautiousness.............29

Your score on Conscientiousness is low, indicating you like to live for the moment and do what feels good now. Your work tends to be careless and disorganized.

Conscientiousness Facets

Self-Efficacy. Self-Efficacy describes confidence in one's ability to accomplish things. High scorers believe they have the intelligence (common sense), drive, and self-control necessary for achieving success. Low scorers do not feel effective, and may have a sense that they are not in control of their lives. Your level of self-efficacy is high.

Orderliness. Persons with high scores on orderliness are well-organized. They like to live according to routines and schedules. They keep lists and make plans. Low scorers tend to be disorganized and scattered. Your level of orderliness is high.

Dutifulness. This scale reflects the strength of a person's sense of duty and obligation. Those who score high on this scale have a strong sense of moral obligation. Low scorers find contracts, rules, and regulations overly confining. They are likely to be seen as unreliable or even irresponsible. Your level of dutifulness is low.

Achievement-Striving. Individuals who score high on this scale strive hard to achieve excellence. Their drive to be recognized as successful keeps them on track toward their lofty goals. They often have a strong sense of direction in life, but extremely high scores may be too single-minded and obsessed with their work. Low scorers are content to get by with a minimal amount of work, and might be seen by others as lazy. Your level of achievement striving is low.

Self-Discipline. Self-discipline-what many people call will-power-refers to the ability to persist at difficult or unpleasant tasks until they are completed. People who possess high self-discipline are able to overcome reluctance to begin tasks and stay on track despite distractions. Those with low self-discipline procrastinate and show poor follow-through, often failing to complete tasks-even tasks they want very much to complete. Your level of self-discipline is low.

Cautiousness. Cautiousness describes the disposition to think through possibilities before acting. High scorers on the Cautiousness scale take their time when making decisions. Low scorers often say or do first thing that comes to mind without deliberating alternatives and the probable consequences of those alternatives. Your level of cautiousness is low.

Neuroticism

Freud originally used the term neurosis to describe a condition marked by mental distress, emotional suffering, and an inability to cope effectively with the normal demands of life. He suggested that everyone shows some signs of neurosis, but that we differ in our degree of suffering and our specific symptoms of distress. Today neuroticism refers to the tendency to experience negative feelings. Those who score high on Neuroticism may experience primarily one specific negative feeling such as anxiety, anger, or depression, but are likely to experience several of these emotions. People high in neuroticism are emotionally reactive. They respond emotionally to events that would not affect most people, and their reactions tend to be more intense than normal. They are more likely to interpret ordinary situations as threatening, and minor frustrations as hopelessly difficult. Their negative emotional reactions tend to persist for unusually long periods of time, which means they are often in a bad mood. These problems in emotional regulation can diminish a neurotic's ability to think clearly, make decisions, and cope effectively with stress.

At the other end of the scale, individuals who score low in neuroticism are less easily upset and are less emotionally reactive. They tend to be calm, emotionally stable, and free from persistent negative feelings. Freedom from negative feelings does not mean that low scorers experience a lot of positive feelings; frequency of positive emotions is a component of the Extraversion domain.

Neuroticism................9

Anxiety..................1

Anger....................1

Depression...............14

Self-Consciousness.......58

Immoderation.............63

Vulnerability............21

Your score on Neuroticism is low, indicating that you are exceptionally calm, composed and unflappable. You do not react with intense emotions, even to situations that most people would describe as stressful.

Neuroticism Facets

Anxiety. The "fight-or-flight" system of the brain of anxious individuals is too easily and too often engaged. Therefore, people who are high in anxiety often feel like something dangerous is about to happen. They may be afraid of specific situations or be just generally fearful. They feel tense, jittery, and nervous. Persons low in Anxiety are generally calm and fearless. Your level of anxiety is low.

Anger. Persons who score high in Anger feel enraged when things do not go their way. They are sensitive about being treated fairly and feel resentful and bitter when they feel they are being cheated. This scale measures the tendency to feel angry; whether or not the person expresses annoyance and hostility depends on the individual's level on Agreeableness. Low scorers do not get angry often or easily. Your level of anger is low.

Depression. This scale measures the tendency to feel sad, dejected, and discouraged. High scorers lack energy and have difficult initiating activities. Low scorers tend to be free from these depressive feelings. Your level of depression is low.

Self-Consciousness. Self-conscious individuals are sensitive about what others think of them. Their concern about rejection and ridicule cause them to feel shy and uncomfortable abound others. They are easily embarrassed and often feel ashamed. Their fears that others will criticize or make fun of them are exaggerated and unrealistic, but their awkwardness and discomfort may make these fears a self-fulfilling prophecy. Low scorers, in contrast, do not suffer from the mistaken impression that everyone is watching and judging them. They do not feel nervous in social situations. Your level or self-consciousness is average.

Immoderation. Immoderate individuals feel strong cravings and urges that they have difficulty resisting. They tend to be oriented toward short-term pleasures and rewards rather than long- term consequences. Low scorers do not experience strong, irresistible cravings and consequently do not find themselves tempted to overindulge. Your level of immoderation is average.

Vulnerability. High scorers on Vulnerability experience panic, confusion, and helplessness when under pressure or stress. Low scorers feel more poised, confident, and clear-thinking when stressed. Your level of vulnerability is low.

Openness to Experience

Openness to Experience describes a dimension of cognitive style that distinguishes imaginative, creative people from down-to-earth, conventional people. Open people are intellectually curious, appreciative of art, and sensitive to beauty. They tend to be, compared to closed people, more aware of their feelings. They tend to think and act in individualistic and nonconforming ways. Intellectuals typically score high on Openness to Experience; consequently, this factor has also been called Culture or Intellect. Nonetheless, Intellect is probably best regarded as one aspect of openness to experience. Scores on Openness to Experience are only modestly related to years of education and scores on standard intelligent tests.

Another characteristic of the open cognitive style is a facility for thinking in symbols and abstractions far removed from concrete experience. Depending on the individual's specific intellectual abilities, this symbolic cognition may take the form of mathematical, logical, or geometric thinking, artistic and metaphorical use of language, music composition or performance, or one of the many visual or performing arts. People with low scores on openness to experience tend to have narrow, common interests. They prefer the plain, straightforward, and obvious over the complex, ambiguous, and subtle. They may regard the arts and sciences with suspicion, regarding these endeavors as abstruse or of no practical use. Closed people prefer familiarity over novelty; they are conservative and resistant to change.

Openness is often presented as healthier or more mature by psychologists, who are often themselves open to experience. However, open and closed styles of thinking are useful in different environments. The intellectual style of the open person may serve a professor well, but research has shown that closed thinking is related to superior job performance in police work, sales, and a number of service occupations.

Openness to experience.....76

Imagination..............95

Artistic Interests.......72

Emotionality.............25

Adventurousness..........55

Intellect................75

Liberalism...............67

Your score on Openness to Experience is high, indicating you enjoy novelty, variety, and change. You are curious, imaginative, and creative.

Openness Facets

Imagination. To imaginative individuals, the real world is often too plain and ordinary. High scorers on this scale use fantasy as a way of creating a richer, more interesting world. Low scorers are on this scale are more oriented to facts than fantasy. Your level of imagination is high.

Artistic Interests. High scorers on this scale love beauty, both in art and in nature. They become easily involved and absorbed in artistic and natural events. They are not necessarily artistically trained nor talented, although many will be. The defining features of this scale are interest in, and appreciation of natural and artificial beauty. Low scorers lack aesthetic sensitivity and interest in the arts. Your level of artistic interests is high.

Emotionality. Persons high on Emotionality have good access to and awareness of their own feelings. Low scorers are less aware of their feelings and tend not to express their emotions openly. Your level of emotionality is low.

Adventurousness. High scorers on adventurousness are eager to try new activities, travel to foreign lands, and experience different things. They find familiarity and routine boring, and will take a new route home just because it is different. Low scorers tend to feel uncomfortable with change and prefer familiar routines. Your level of adventurousness is average.

Intellect. Intellect and artistic interests are the two most important, central aspects of openness to experience. High scorers on Intellect love to play with ideas. They are open-minded to new and unusual ideas, and like to debate intellectual issues. They enjoy riddles, puzzles, and brain teasers. Low scorers on Intellect prefer dealing with either people or things rather than ideas. They regard intellectual exercises as a waste of time. Intellect should not be equated with intelligence. Intellect is an intellectual style, not an intellectual ability, although high scorers on Intellect score slightly higher than low-Intellect individuals on standardized intelligence tests. Your level of intellect is high.

Liberalism. Psychological liberalism refers to a readiness to challenge authority, convention, and traditional values. In its most extreme form, psychological liberalism can even represent outright hostility toward rules, sympathy for law-breakers, and love of ambiguity, chaos, and disorder. Psychological conservatives prefer the security and stability brought by conformity to tradition. Psychological liberalism and conservatism are not identical to political affiliation, but certainly incline individuals toward certain political parties. Your level of liberalism is average.

I do find it interesting that some parts of the two tests seem to be contrary to one another. The second test, for instance, said that I enjoy abstract thinking, whilst the first said very definitely that I did not. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

To accurately compare the two tests, I think I would have to take the actual MBTI, rather than an online equivelent. Since that, however, costs money, I can't be bothered ;)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 19 Jul , 2009 2:55 am

Spoken like a true ISFP! ;)

(Just made that up. I won't pay for the test either.)

nienna, interesting!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 14 of 15  [ 285 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 111 12 13 14 15 »
Jump to: