Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 12:49 am

Amen.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 12:51 am

Whistler wrote:
I've heard a few remarks that I thought were rather uncharitable and condescending, but I've brushed them off now.
Did my post in this thread count as uncharitable and condescending? :( It's on page 2. I can't help but wonder if it came across as such, as nobody replied to it all. Was that offensive in your eyes? I didn't mean it to be.

Or was the "flake" factor just too high? ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Whistler
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 12:57 am

MariaHobbit wrote:
Whistler wrote:
I've heard a few remarks that I thought were rather uncharitable and condescending, but I've brushed them off now.
Did my post in this thread count as uncharitable and condescending? :( It's on page 2. I can't help but wonder if it came across as such, as nobody replied to it all. Was that offensive in your eyes? I didn't mean it to be.

Or was the "flake" factor just too high? ;)
No, MariaHobbit, that was by no means the sort of post I meant. I have read no posts in this thread that I found uncharitable or improper in any way.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 1:01 am

Whew! Whenever there's an anonymous problem mentioned, I always look in the mirror first, and on re-reading my post it suddenly seemed possible that some might have taken offense at my wording.

I'm glad that was not the case. I'm rather proud of that post, for some reason. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 8:25 am
Tricksy Elf!

MariaHobbit wrote:
Whistler wrote:
Did my post in this thread count as uncharitable and condescending?
Mine probably did :roll:, I somehow have a reputation for being anti-Christian, which I do find bizarre (and somewhat distressing).

Not intended to be, people should be allowed to believe what they want to believe no matter how odd it may look from the outside. But as with any 'belief system' that I do not hold with, I can see no reason why it cannot be poked, investigated, delved into or sacrificed on the alter of good old fashioned scientific thought :devil:

But it is worth pointing out that my educational (and interest) background is Medieval Christianity and earlier spiritual cultures.

My viewpoint is best summed up in the idea of hanging pigs because they could be witches. Even in deepest darkest America, this is unlikely to take place today (one hopes), but 400 years ago they used to do this near to where I sit now. It was common, it fitted with the belief system of the day. Today, it appears crazy because a man is not misled by a pig.

There is nothing wrong with either viewpoint (apart from the pig’s perspective). They are both right, because of the time they took place in.

I am what can only be described as a seeker. I delve into 'truth' to try and find what is really there, if it is divinely sanctioned or if it is designed by man for the time he or she is in. This does not mean I look at viewpoints like Whistler’s in a smug self-righteous way. I don't, infact I look with envy because he has found something that eludes me, and bugs me. I doubt I will ever find out, but will almost certainly spend my life searching.

Having said all that, this quest of mine is personal (as should everybody’s) and the one thing that really bugs me is evangelising. Sorry everybody, but it does.

Somebody once wrote, I think it was a 17th century Anabaptist pamphlet, that they did not want Catholics or Protestants praying for them, because their prayers would contaminate the writer when he went to be judged. This really struck a cord with me, what right has anybody to impose religious views on anybody else? They may think they are saving them, but are they really (even if the saver is sure, the reality is that they may not be).

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 11:17 am

Doesn't really matter what the person thinks, God knows what they're doing anyway.

Btw, Din, have a :hug: . :D

Have to echo what yovargas said... 'You can be what you like as long as you don't do it around me'. This is so darn tricky to solve. Following the comparison he used, I don't mind learning someone is gay, but hearing about what they do in bed might make me uncomfortable...and I guess someone doesn't mind learning I'm a Christian, but might be annoyed by me talking to them about matters of the religion that they don't care about...

Thing is, I can't separate God from my life. Any part of my life. I won't talk to an atheist about how he thinks Jesus can help him...that's just silly. But I've noticed that if I say, in complete honesty, that God gave me strength to achieve something, I will get a strange look and people will think I'm devout, or trying to evangelise them. Why? That's not it at all...

God is a part of my life. Not talking about him would be like not talking about my family or boyfriend. I try not to bother people when I know they might be...sometimes I do avoid mentioning religion because I know it will cause an argument.

Atheist sometimes do just as much 'evangelising' as Christians. :P Maybe that's where your exaggerated reputation comes from, Din...people see you as having strong feelings about religion and they think, aha, that guy's gonna try and convince me my faith is bullshit! Which is just as bad as atheists fearing that religious people will try and convince them God exists. While neither is a rule.

It's funny how defensive people can be...

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 1:18 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
Atheist sometimes do just as much 'evangelising' as Christians. Maybe that's where your exaggerated reputation comes from, Din...people see you as having strong feelings about religion and they think, aha, that guy's gonna try and convince me my faith is bullshit! Which is just as bad as atheists fearing that religious people will try and convince them God exists. While neither is a rule
:LMAO:
True Ro, so true, and have :hug: back :Wooper:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 3:16 pm
Not so deep as a well

Ro--

If stating that God has helped you to have strength is thought of by others as evangelizing for belief, would someone saying they found the strength within themselve be evangelizing for nonbelief?

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 6:00 pm
Can never be buggered at all

I chose "Nonreligious", because that comes closest to how I see myself. In another thread, I defined myself as "Agnostic with Taoist and Wiccan leanings". That means, I'm not sure if there is any kind of deity, but don't deny the possibility that there may be. In Wicca, I find resonance in their reverence of nature, and I see the Wiccan Rede as an excellent rule of life. It's much harder to follow than one would believe! But, perhaps I'm too much a scientist to buy the "magick" part of that religion. The Tao is a philosophy rather than a religion; a philosophy of balance and inner development. Living for here and now instead of for something that may never be.

But, I find many treasures in other religions as well. Many of the things Jesus taught would certainly make the world a better place if people followed them, Christian or not. I'm not too familiar with Islam, but I know taking care of the poor is a religious duty for them. I could come up with more examples if I had more time (and any wits left after a heavy day at work).

As for afterlife, if there is any, I think reincarnation is very logical. Just one lifetime on this earth is all too short for learning everything we have to learn and understand to move on and become a part of something bigger.

And I will read through all this thread at a better time.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 9:32 pm
Insolent Pup

Seriously, this poll needed to have a Norse option.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
theduffster
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 1:17 am
Damn those Amish!!

(holds hands with Whistler)

I voted conservative Christian. Was raised Catholic, but have been an active member of my Presbyterian church for over 10 years. I even teach Sunday School!! And have done so for 5 years.

Christianity pervades my entire life.

[ img ]

Gob: Return from whence you came!!

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 2:05 am
Living in hope

<raises hand> Sunday School teacher for 10 years here. And a preacher's kid.

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 2:47 am
Waiting for winter

Primula_Baggins wrote:
<raises hand> Sunday School teacher for 10 years here. And a preacher's kid.
<raises hand too> another preachers kid here!

<puts hand back down> black sheep of the family. Haven’t attended church regularly in 23 years. It’s not that I don’t believe in it, or ever stopped believing in it, I just don’t get much out the organized part of religion, plus I have some issues with the Methodist church, which forced me to move around all the time as a kid, which I hated more than you can possibly imagine.

I guess I would call myself a cultural Christian (I choose liberal Christian on the poll, since it comes closest to describing my views, although it falls far short), it’s obviously what I was raised to believe, and I do find that I agree with much of it. But I find truth in nearly all religions, as well as things that I have a hard time accepting. I suppose technically I would be a deist in that I do believe in a God but do not strictly subscribe to any particular faith. My sense is that God exists, most likely in the traditional religious manner of being omnipotent and wholly good, but that we do not know clearly who or what it is, and that no religion has fully figured it out yet.

I’m really more of a journey vs. destination type person myself. I think the search for truth is more important than the discovery.

And despite my personal grievances against the Methodist church, I really think it’s a pretty good denomination. They do put on a mean covered dish supper.

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 8:12 am
Tricksy Elf!

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
Seriously, this poll needed to have a Norse option.
Done that before, just adds to the confusion. It would be like flogging a dead norse :D

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 16 Mar , 2005 10:13 am

Axordil wrote:
Ro--

If stating that God has helped you to have strength is thought of by others as evangelizing for belief, would someone saying they found the strength within themselve be evangelizing for nonbelief?
My point exactly. ;)

Of course it needs work and good will on both sides.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 1:54 am
Sorcery in Action

A little shameless plug...

For all you Pagan-leaning types, do stop by

:)

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Mar , 2005 4:50 am
Thanks to Holby

theduffster wrote:
Was raised Catholic, but have been an active member of my Presbyterian church for over 10 years.
I was raised Catholic, too, but found my faith in Protestantism. I really enjoyed a Presbyterian church I attended for awhile, but my husband prefers the non-denominational Bible churches

I was making a batch of cookies for the neighbors once, and my son remarked , "Oh, mother. That's soooooo Presybterian."

:D

(He shares his father's preference, and found the Presyterian services he attended with friends to be deadly dull.)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 97 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to: