Other (please clarify)

14% [ 7 ]
Total votes: 50
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 5:44 pm
Not so deep as a well

Quote:
So far, precisely three people have declared themselves conservative Christians, and elsewhere on the board the secularist branch is expressing fears of being overwhelmed.
That doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon here. Whereabouts did this come up?

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 5:54 pm
Gloriosus

God doesn't believe in me. I round the godless' number to 18.

– – –

Profile Quote
Whistler
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 5:59 pm

Axordil wrote:
Quote:
So far, precisely three people have declared themselves conservative Christians, and elsewhere on the board the secularist branch is expressing fears of being overwhelmed.
That doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon here. Whereabouts did this come up?
Over on the thread about posters' expectations for the board.

I'm really half-joking, Axordil, though that was the subtext of three or four posts. It seems that some posters are expecting and fearing a wave of evangelization. We are welcome, of course...as long as we remain quiet!

:neutral:

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:06 pm
Not so deep as a well

Ah--yes, I can see how the "private" vs. "public" discussion there might come off that way.

I would hope it's not a question of remaining quiet, which is rather silly to expect (certainly in this forum), so much as a question of hoping for a better tenor here than was sometimes the case in Manwe. I personally would not lay the blame for that at any one person's or "side's" feet, but I suspect human nature makes it easier to detect in one's opponents in an argument.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:10 pm
You are hearing me talk

Speaking for myself, I don't feel threatened or overwhealmed by the religious people here, and have no problem with them talking about their beliefs as long as they're not used to belittle or intimidate (and that goes for anyone's beliefs in general, not just religious ones).

Ironically, I was interrupted in the middle of this post by Jehovah's Witnesses at the door.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:22 pm
Best friends forever

Having survived the US election on Manwe, I can honestly say that the place has a bad name that is undeserved.

I miss those days, to be honest.

Oh, well. There's always 2008.

I can hardly wait for the political stuff to get going here. Because I am sorta outa Manwe....

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:24 pm
Milk and kisses

I'm an agnostic, but I thought I'd mention that my background (i.e. what I was taught at school) is Roman Catholic. I was in school in Spain the 70s and 80s, when broadmindedness in religious matters didn't exist, so all my religious education amounted to was studying the Bible and Catholic dogma.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:40 pm

For whatever it's worth, Whistler, reading those comments made me feel like comments I'll often hear (fortunately, never specifically directed at me so far) along the lines of "I don't care if you're gay, just as long as I don't have to hear about it". Replace "gay" with "Christian" and it's essentially the same idea. "Sure, I don't mind who you are, just don't be who you are around me". A big :nono: from me whether it's gay, Christian, or hippopotamus.

So is one of you folks gonna start the "gay marriage" thread. I'd kinda rather not...

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:43 pm
The Pirate's Daughter

Dave_LF wrote:
Ironically, I was interrupted in the middle of this post by Jehovah's Witnesses at the door.
Jehovah's Witnesses are so sweet and harmless though. Pesky because they knock on your door, but it's never hard to make them leave.

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:46 pm
Same as it ever was

Well, Ethel proposed marriage to vison in another thread, so, go ahead and start it up, yovi!!

:D:D

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 6:51 pm
You are hearing me talk

Ethel wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
Jehovah's Witnesses are so sweet and harmless though. Pesky because they knock on your door, but it's never hard to make them leave.
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that they were guilty of using their beliefs to belittle or intimidate. But I do think knocking on doors at random is the wrong way to discuss religion, and its online equivalent is the sort of thing that would irritate me on a messageboard.

Profile Quote
Whistler
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 8:08 pm

yovargas wrote:
For whatever it's worth, Whistler, reading those comments made me feel like comments I'll often hear (fortunately, never specifically directed at me so far) along the lines of "I don't care if you're gay, just as long as I don't have to hear about it". Replace "gay" with "Christian" and it's essentially the same idea. "Sure, I don't mind who you are, just don't be who you are around me". A big :nono: from me whether it's gay, Christian, or hippopotamus.

So is one of you folks gonna start the "gay marriage" thread. I'd kinda rather not...
I was going to make similar remarks, but I didn’t feel it proper to refer to an individual poster’s personal life. And by the way, I have always respected your objectivity in discussing such delicate business. You don’t have a chip on your shoulder, and you don’t assume that anybody else does.

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 8:13 pm
Thanks to Holby

Hi, I haven't read the thread yet. I would say I am a conservative Christian who is politically liberal, for the most part . So I didn't vote in the poll.

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 8:14 pm
The Pirate's Daughter

Dave_LF wrote:
Ethel wrote:
Dave_LF wrote:
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that they were guilty of using their beliefs to belittle or intimidate. But I do think knocking on doors at random is the wrong way to discuss religion, and its online equivalent is the sort of thing that would irritate me on a messageboard.
Ah, but the knocking on doors is a fundamental part of their worship. It is "witnessing" you see. They really don't expect to make converts. It's how they express their devotion to their deity. I got to know a Witness a bit. She was the sweetest person. For her, the time spent knocking on doors and being rejected was her gift to her God.

Not that I'm advocating the online equivalent!

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 8:18 pm
Same as it ever was

Cerin,

I think the poll was designed to measure religious beliefs, not political ones, the two are not mutually inclusive.

In a few other threads scattered about, posters had been making obsevations about their reserve about speaking out about their own religious viewpoints, nothing serious, quite a few of us are very new here, and are still testing the waters. This thread was just sort of started up as a place to come discuss this a bit, nothing more.

:)

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 8:56 pm
Thanks to Holby

The Watcher wrote:
I think the poll was designed to measure religious beliefs, not political ones, the two are not mutually inclusive.
Hmmm. Perhaps when I have a chance to catch up on the thread, it will become clearer to me. Thanks. :)

Edit

Okay, I've read through the comments. If we're not talking politics, then I'm putting myself in the Conservative Christian category.

yovargas wrote:
Looks like someone is begging for our very first 'gay marrige' thread!
Do you really want to subject these unsuspecting people to my arguments on that subject?

=:)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 9:55 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

I think I'll have to come clean as another agnostic.

My background: baptised in the United Reformed Church, which I attened until I was about 8, whereupon we went to the local Church of England Sunday School, until I was 11 and my mother gave up on dragging us all out of bed on a Sunday. I went through a stage of private Bible reading in my early teens and occasionally have tried to pray since, but have concluded it doesn't really do it for me.

So I just quietly live my life as best I can, hoping that I do enough good to weigh against the occasional lapse in judgement. But I can't quite break away from the teaching of my childhood and feel far more Christian than any other religion... I think.

Whistler. If you're referring to my post (amongst others) over in the posters' expectations thread, I can only assure you that keeping quiet is the last thing I'd expect anyone to do. :) As DaveLF said so eloquently that I feel I must steal his words: " I don't feel threatened or overwhelmed by the religious people here, and have no problem with them talking about their beliefs as long as they're not used to belittle or intimidate (and that goes for anyone's beliefs in general, not just religious ones)."

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Whistler
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 10:07 pm

No problem, Leoba.

I've heard a few remarks that I thought were rather uncharitable and condescending, but I've brushed them off now. And yours were not among them, anyway.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2005 11:40 pm
Living in hope

I believe I know what you mean, Whistler. We'd all do well, out of kindness, to avoid making remarks that could contain the words "those people." Whatever our previous experiences with "sorts" of people, here we're meeting individuals, with the hope of forming friendships and enjoying serious discussion.

I know that I have already been surprised by people behaving what I might thoughtlessly have called "uncharacteristically"--when in fact I hadn't met the person before, but merely knew where he/she posted on TORC or some other easy label. Nothing about the character of the individual. :oops:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Whistler
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2005 12:44 am

In some buried thread I've already read the question: "When are people going to wake up and realize what these people are all about?"

I won't say who the "these people" were, and it makes no difference. People are individuals, each with his own face. It is tragically wrong to paint with such a broad brush.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 97 posts ]
Return to “The Symposium” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: