The Official LotR Musical Thread - Review Added

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Dec , 2005 11:42 am
of Vinyamar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 24 Dec , 2005 12:57 am
Takoyaki is love

Here are some pictures of some advertising flags in downtown Toronto.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mrs_whatsit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Jan , 2006 7:53 pm

Entertainment Weekly story on the musical:

'Rings' Master' by Whitney Pastorek

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Feb , 2006 4:43 pm

A lengthy article on the musical can be found here..

and it says the Saturday debut was hit by some technical problems and ran for four and one half hours but the audience stuck around.

Article

Edited by LalaithUrwen, 03.16.06, to fix page stretching link

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Feb , 2006 6:35 pm
His Rosyness

Thanks for that SF, an interesting read.

Are there any clips of the music yet?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 05 Feb , 2006 9:24 pm
of Vinyamar

You can hear some of the music in the video clip I link on HoF Iavas. It's from the rehearsal so you may have already seen it.

I've posted some reviews of last nights performance there also. If anyone wants me to cross post here I will.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Feb , 2006 4:20 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

There's a review on TORC in the events forum. Someone has seen the preview. There were a few teething troubles but the overall impression was good.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Feb , 2006 7:19 pm
of Vinyamar

From TORN. This is the bvest review I've seen yet. Detailed, and of the second performance, not the first, so therefore complete.

[quote]LOTR Musical Review - Xoanon @ 10:52 PST
Topaz writes: Well, I’m back – as Sam said. Or didn’t say, at least not on Sunday afternoon at the Princess of Wales Theatre in Toronto where I saw the second ever performance of the new theatrical production of The Lord of the Rings.

Long ago when I had first heard of plans to make LOTR into a musical, it scared me. Howard Shore had just done such an amazing job with the film scores, and now someone was going to make it all sound like Broadway? Please don’t…. Then as time went on and the production was to be in Toronto (half an hour from where I live), there began to be articles in the papers, interviews with the director – I read them and I began to feel less afraid that someone was going to ruin my favourite story. I liked that they wanted it to be very different from the films (which I love but which are a different medium, and trying to copy them would NOT work) – a real theatre experience, focusing on the heart of the story. Also the ethnic flavour of the composers (A.R. Rahman from India and the group Varttina from Finland) seemed promising in that the result was unlikely to be typical Broadway OR a Shore derivative.

I knew I had to see and hear this for myself. So I got tickets as soon as they came on sale. They were saying then that it would open on February 2nd, and no one was calling the performances before March 23rd “previewsâ€

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mrs_whatsit
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Feb , 2006 10:06 pm

Thanks for posting Alatar! I am seriously wanting to spend the big bucks for Toronto soon.

The Scouring!!

“Death once was called the GIFT of men – not to be bound forever to the circles of this world.â€

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Feb , 2006 6:10 pm

From todays Detroit Free Press
--------------------------------------------

Frodo prepares for stage premiere
Toronto 'Rings' is in previews now

February 16, 2006

Hotel-show packages

About 60 Toronto hotels are offering hotel-show packages for "The Lord of the Rings." Each package includes one night's stay with breakfast, a premium ticket to the show and discount offers. All prices are in Canadian dollars. Rates vary, but start at $165 to $319 per person (about $142-$274 U.S.). Book through Tourism Toronto at 800-499-2514 or www.torontotourism.com/LOTR.
It's addition-by-subtraction time in Toronto as the mammoth musical theater version of "The Lord of the Rings" works on problems that caused the planned 3 1/2-hour show to run nearly five hours in its first preview.

That's what previews are for, and playgoers who have seen early performances are reporting back favorably.

"There's an absolutely fantastic 3 1/2 -hour show in there somewhere," says Derrick Chua, 39, a Toronto attorney who attended the very first preview, Feb. 4, at the Princess of Wales Theatre. Chua had no illusions that he'd be seeing a finished product.

"I knew full well there was going to be some stuff that you would never ever see again," says Chua, who intends to see the show again after its official world premiere March 23.

The $27-million (Canadian) production is believed to be the most expensive stage show in North American history and will run exclusively in Toronto (a 4 1/2 -hour drive from Detroit) before there is a second production, possibly in London sometime in 2007.

As of last weekend, with many technical glitches fixed, the show had slimmed down considerably, "making it a 3-hour, 55-minute experience at the moment," producer Kevin Wallace said Tuesday.

"One of the principal focuses is on tightening the story," Wallace says. "It's a filleting process." Somebody who has seen an early preview and returns after the show opens "won't be able to say, 'Look, they've taken a scene away.' "

Filleting is subtler. "If a song is landing after two verses and a chorus, why sing the third verse?" Wallace asks rhetorically.

"The actual stage time needs 17 minutes out of it," Wallace says, and the two intermissions need to be shorter.

The first filleting, six minutes' worth, will show up in Friday's preview performance. Two weeks later, March 2, "We'll be at our playing time," Wallace says. "Then we'll see how much time applause puts back in."

Verbal and Internet applause has been deafening. "Overall, I think it's going to be a spectacular show," says Chua. From the moment you enter the auditorium, "It's pretty stunning; it looks like the woods are coming off the stage and into the theater."

"It was wonderful. I loved it," a person using the nom de net Topaz writes on TheOneRing.net (www.theonering.net), a Web site "forged by and for fans of J.R.R. Tolkien." Topaz, who attended the show with his or her two daughters, writes, "It was different from the beloved films. In some ways it was closer to the beloved books. ...

"It was done with imagination, creativity, professionalism, flair, beauty, and most of all, love."

By the way, Wallace swears that neither he nor anyone associated with the production is posting comments on Web sites.

Vincent, another contributor to TheOneRing.net, characterized the show as "incredible and memorable and sure to become a classic indeed. ... It was unlike really watching Middle Earth, it was like being there."

If you're not familiar with Middle Earth, know that it's where "The Lord of the Rings" takes place.

Chua, who describes himself as both an avid playgoer and a big Tolkien fan, says his knowledge of Tolkien's trilogy and the three recent "Lord of the Rings" movies places him at an advantage, at least as the show currently stands. "I think that's the biggest thing right now. If you don't know that stuff, you might get lost."

There's a point, Chua says, where Frodo, the hero, puts on the all-powerful ring and becomes invisible to everyone except an enemy Black Rider. That isn't clear, he says, unless you already know what's going on.

Wallace is already on the case. "We've identified three points where the orchestration is competing with a significant line. One is where Frodo finds the ring has slipped onto his finger and he is invisible. But the Black Rider can see him."

As musical director Christopher Nightingale told Wallace, "he has to dig a hole in the orchestration so a line can be heard."

With a $15 million-dollar advance sale and playgoers expected from all over the world (including slightly less than 25 percent from the United States), there's a wide-ranging audience to reach.

"We ultimately," Wallace says, "have to satisfy people who love the films, people who love the books and people who love the theater and want to have an epic experience."

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 2:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Here's a long article from the Ottawa Citizen:
Quote:
TORONTO - When Toronto impresario David Mirvish built the Princess of Wales theatre more than a decade ago, he thought it could accommodate any kind of show.

After all, it had been especially designed to house Miss Saigon -- a lavish musical whose most memorable setpiece was the landing of a helicopter on stage.

"We built that theatre thinking that with a 60-foot-deep stage, we could do anything," Mirvish laughs. "We thought if we could do Miss Saigon, we'd be OK for anything."

But that was before The Lord of the Rings came along.

When the new musical about the mythic struggle between good and evil has its world premiere March 23, theatregoers will be seeing it on a dramatically rebuilt stage.

"First thing we had to do was take out all the reinforced concrete that was part of the front of our stage. It cost $850,000 just to demolish the stage that we had, so we could put in a new deck for this show that was 40 tonnes of steel. So physically, this was certainly the biggest production we've ever dealt with."

Then, there was the challenge of making the show's hugely complicated designs -- not just Rob Howell's sets but also the otherworldly images and illusions -- work effectively.

Irish producer Kevin Wallace, the key player in the project, has called The Lord of the Rings "a hybrid of text, physical theatre, music and spectacle never before seen on this scale." He has promised that audiences will be taken on a real journey -- "from Rivendell to Mordor" -- and that the Battle of Helm's Deep will be one of the biggest stage sequences in history.

The aim is to astonish and thrill the audience at every turn -- whether with a gigantic spider that takes up the entire Prince of Wales stage or with the menacing Black Riders who are expected to emerge as part man and part horse.

All this explains the challenge faced by Mirvish Productions when it successfully captured the world-premiere run for Toronto.

"In the set itself there are 17 elevators," Mirvish explains. "We've never had so many elevators and revolves in one piece of apparatus. The cost of programming this piece of equipment -- the software -- is a million and a quarter dollars."

Figures like these explain why it's costing $27 million to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's 1,000-page trilogy to the stage. That it's happening in Toronto is due to several factors, but particularly to the commitment of two Torontonians -- Mirvish, the man behind the successful Canadian runs of Les Miserables and Mamma Mia, and Michael Cohl, the savvy tour boss for The Rolling Stones.

"We couldn't do this by ourselves," Mirvish stresses. "Michael was certainly important to us."

Last-minute fine-tuning is continuing on a show that has been in preview for several weeks and stars Brent Carver as Gandalf, James Loye as Frodo and Michael Therriault as Gollum.

Meanwhile, international attention continues to mount. Ticket orders have been pouring in, not just from Canada and the U.S. but from Europe and southeast Asia. By the time previews started in February, advance orders already stood at $16 million.

"That was very encouraging, but not enough to guarantee the success of the show," Mirvish says cautiously. "So we are really very much at the mercy of what people think of us."

Mirvish admits that at the start he was not really a believer because he could not see how The Lord of the Rings could work on stage.

"I'd read the books on my honeymoon back in 1967 and I'd seen the movies -- and I thought it impossible to put this on stage."

At this point, two years ago, he saw himself only as a possible investor in a London production. But he was so lukewarm about the project that when he sent some of his people to England to discuss the show, he asked them to deliver a polite thank you, but no thank you.

"Instead of doing that, they came back to me and said, 'You've got to listen to this piece of music. You can see what's happening as you listen to it.'"

By this time, a creative team in London had already been working on the project for more than two years. So Mirvish listened to some of the score by renowned Indian composer A.R. Rahman and the Finnish group folk group Vartina, and was impressed. He also was told that The Lord of the Rings on stage would be like a combination of Cirque du Soleil and the Royal Shakespeare Company's legendary production of Dickens's Nicholas Nickleby.

"And I thought -- that gets my attention."

Mirvish knew then that he wanted help to bring Frodo's epic journey to the stage.

"It's a great journey, a great story. It's a story that fits our moment because here's someone who's humble and small -- and not the strongest and biggest -- who counts. So the story appealed to me, now that I could see how they'd figured out to tell it."

At this point, London was still seen as the venue for the show's world premiere. The snag was that the only West End theatre with the stage and seating capacity to sustain it was the Dominion on Tottenham Court Road -- and it was unavailable because of the continuing success of the rock musical, We Will Rock You.

It was at this point that Mirvish proposed a Toronto launch. "We knew it couldn't be a pre-Broadway or a pre-London tryout because it was too big to be moved. So you would have to do it here and hope that it would stay here. We had just come off 31/2 years of Lion King and five years of Mamma Mia, so we felt there was an appetite for it. But it would be a little bit breaking the rules because usually shows of this scale always start in New York or London."

Mirvish says the British production team faced a huge decision in deciding to bring The Lord of the Rings to Toronto. But he also knew the show could be an economic shot in the arm for a city still suffering lingering economic fallout from the SARS scare. He decided 14 months ago to give Kevin Wallace and his London colleagues evidence of the Toronto community's commitment to the project.

Mirvish set up special presentations for local power brokers from both the public and private sectors, and got a series of positive responses, Now, Mirvish Productions was ready to make an important commitment -- a commitment to provide 75 per cent of the $27-million budget.

"Usually a show costs $10 million, not $27 million -- so we knew the whole community had to commit to this," Mirvish says.

And that commitment rapidly emerged -- not only in the form of smaller investments but in the Ontario government's decision to invest $3 million and in Tourism Ontario's action in providing an additional $3 million in marketing support. Air Canada became lead sponsor.

Mirvish emphasizes that he is essentially the landlord for the show and that he and Cohl are associate producers.

"Creatively, this is Kevin Wallace's concept and production, done with his team."

But he's still tremendously excited by what's happening.

"It's a strange combination of excitement because I can tell you about all the big things -- and that's great because you need that in large-scale shows. But you also end up crying when a couple of 20-year-olds -- Sam and Frodo -- take you on this journey and move you.

"The tricky thing about being involved with musicals is that if you're a failure you're going to have used up a year and a half to three years of your life. If you're a success, you're going to have to live with these characters for 10 years. So you want to find a musical with characters you like and something you feel really good about. And this is a great story."

Ticket information for The Lord of the Rings is available by calling 1-800-461-3333 or by visiting the website www.lotr.com.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 3:01 pm
of Vinyamar

Thanks Jude. That looks great. When are you going?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Mar , 2006 3:02 pm
Aspiring to heresy

As soon as the weather turns nice; probably some time after Edinburgh.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 7:29 am
Wembley bound

Let me know Jude. I'm planning on going soon as well.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 23 Mar , 2006 5:36 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Probably sometime in May, if I still have any money left after Edinburgh. Otherwise June.

When do you plan to go?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Mar , 2006 3:41 am
Wembley bound

I don't have a date yet. I just want to get in a viewing before the Gathering. Could be around then. When you have a date in mind let me know and perhaps we can get tickets together.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Mar , 2006 4:42 pm
His Rosyness

From what I've heard the reviews have not been too good. This was never going to be an easy story to condense into this medium, perhaps it was just too difficult to make it work on stage? Though hopefully this is a case where audiences don't agree with the critics. I'll still see it (if it ever makes it to London), and will buy the score..

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TWT
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Mar , 2006 9:49 pm
Wembley bound

I live in Toronto and have had pleanty of opportunity to hear what people have to say firsthand.

Iavas, though the critics have been harsh on it I've yet to hear a 'normal person' review that had anything to say other than it was fantastic. Quite a few people didn't like the performance of Brent Carver, the bloke who plays Gandalf but he is an incredible actor and I think he will get better as the show goes on.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Mar , 2006 8:18 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 30 Mar , 2006 8:02 am
of Vinyamar

Jude wrote:
What exactly did you find positive about that review Jude?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: