The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Official LotR Musical Thread - Review Added

Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Jun , 2007 10:31 am
of Vinyamar

Its taken me a long time to get around to writing this, cause I'm still not entirely sure what I think. I know I certainly want to see it again, if only to firm up some of the scenes in my mind.

First, the good. Its spectacular, genuinely spectacular. The visual design is excellent, as is the music, for the most part. Costumes are wonderful and the set pieces are fantastic. There's some lovely acting moments and the genuine "heart" of the story is there.

The Bad. Its a little uneven. At times it's rushing headlong, like a slideshow of spectacular scenes one after another, then every now and then it tries to change tack and become a character piece, but with no buildup or denoument. The story has been compressed so much, but still remains very sparse. One would think that distilling the plot into its basic components would allow them to be handled in depth, but not so. Also, some forced moments with Aragorn and Arwen felt like they belonged in a different show. Finally, the Ents were dreadful.

Spoilers Follow!

The show began with hobbits catching fireflies through the audience. Nicely done and set the scene well. The set design at ths point is basically a wooden tangle of roots and branches stretching far beyond the proscenium arch out into the theatre, even obscuring some of the theatre boxes. At the centre of the stage we had a circular opening where the Title was projected.

The show began with a narration, straight into Bilbo's Birthday party which culminated in a fantastic stage illusion where Bilbo disappeared before our eyes. Not in a puff of smoke or a trapdoor, just a fade-out. I suspect they used the "pepper's ghost" trick, but however it was done, it set the bar very high for the rest of the show.

Bag End was created in a minimalist style using the Door, two chairs and a "fireplace". This was highly stylised and worked well. Gandalf threw the Ring into an open space of the surround and a burst of flame sprang out. Very effective. When Frodo left Bag end we saw him walk to the door and exit, then the stage was spun to see him coming out. A simple effect but nicely achieved.

The first appearance of the Ringwraiths was superb. As you may know, the Black Riders are stilted stuntmen with a horsehead and rear attached to them, the black cloak trailing over the back of the horse. Truly chilling in a way that PJs Nazgul failed to be (for me at any rate). The attack of the Nazgul takes place in the Prancing pony instead of Weathertop and this works nicely. Finally the Ford of the Bruinen is achieved without the use of Asfaloth but with clever use of projections and white cloth which formed a cone of "water" around the Nazgul.

I may have this out of order, but Sarumans imprisonment of Gandalf was achieved with simple light and sound effects. When Gandalf attempts to leave, we hear a sort of "clang" and a cone of light spotlights him "trapping" him. Also, from a story point of view, Saruman strongly plays up the whole "pretending to serve Sauron" angle as opposed to PJs "servant of Sauron" and Tolkiens "seeking to become the new Sauron". I'm not sure how well that worked cause it sounded a bit too sensible and I found myself wondering exactly what Gandalfs objection the the plan was.

The escape from Orthanc was simply recounted by Gandalf, after Arwen sings a pointless (if very nice) song at Frodo's bedside. Then we had the council of Elrond, where Boromir, with a strange Scottish accent, informs us that his Father, the "Steward of Men", has fallen into a strange enchantment and no longer has any hope. After an initial WTF? moment I could see the benefit in combining Denethor and Theoden into one single character for dramatic purposes, but it does lead to the unfortunate loss of Wormtongue and of course Eowyn.

Moria was achieved with the use of pillars made from chain and bars. I liked the look, but missed the sense of scale. Gandalfs fall was troublesome. The setup was fantastic as we saw the first part of his confrontation from the Balrog's perspective. Looking at the brightly lit Gandalf standing on the bridge challenging something over our heads and behind us. We also had a blast of hot air and black crepe paper swirling round us like ash to immerse us further in the moment. It should have ended there, but instead the stage spun and the Balrog was revealed as a sort of deformed butterfly. Bad move. Also, Gandalfs fall was not explained as he just sort of "fell" with no apparent aid from the Balrog.

Lothlorien on the other hand was fantastic. The Elves descended from above the stage on vines and ropes, in wonderful costumes and a truly ethereal musical interpretation. Laura Michelle Kelly as Galadriel was the standout performance for me. Her temptation at the hands of Frodo was superbly delivered.

The breaking of the Fellowship at Parth Galen was well done, with a magnificent moment for Frodo on Amon Hen. The Eye, which had not appeared till now filled the back cyc and dwarfed poor Frodo. Wonderful. Boromirs death was ok, but the other hobbits simply ran off into Fangorn rather than being captured and chased.

Less said about the Ents the better. The Physical representation was ok, if not brilliant, but the characterisation was just wrong. We got a rushed scene that ran something like "We are Ents, we are not hasty" "But you have to help us they're killing trees" "Ok so...". Lame.

The destruction of Isengard was not shown, we simply had a battle with Orcs on the revolving stage followed by Gandalf saying "Look, the Ents have arrived". This is as good a place as any to explain the stage floor mechanics. The stage consisted of three concentric revolves, each of which was split in sections, and each of which could be raised and lowered independantly. Also each revolve was capable of independant movement clockwise and anti-clockwise at different speeds. This allowed for a myriad of dynamic combinations as the characters could, for example, walk up the outer ring in a climbing action as the moving revolve kept them centre stage, then move to the middle ring, moving in another direction and perhaps stepping down in stages. Hard to describe, but very, very effective.

The orcs wore spring loaded stilts that allowed them to bound across the stage and even at times into the audience. Some also had blades on their arms which allowed them to move about on all fours in a creepy insect like fashion. The battles here was interesting to watch and not overly extended. As I said, it culminated with the offstage arrival of the Ents and the breaking of Sarumans staff. I was hoping for a little more here, but he basically just walked off to go meddle with the hobbits.

Gollums entrance was brilliant. Headfirst down the front cyc from the top of the stage. Very physical performance. Great stuff. Michael Thierrault, who played the role in Toronto also played it in London. He jack-knifes his body, twisting as turning as an external manifestation of his inner psyche as his dual personalities each take control. I was exhausted just watching him.

It was at this point that the show started to attempt suddenly to change tack and become a character driven piece. After the driving narrative of the previous hour and a half, its a hard thing to ask your audience to suddenly stop and smell the roses. That said, one of my favourite scenes in the show came here. Oh, and Faramir fans, if Theoden and Eowyn get cut do you really expect Faramir to survive? Well, he didn't.

Instead we get a brief exposition of Gollum swearing to serve the master of the precious, then more or less a straight cut to the stairs of Cirith Ungol. This was a lovely moment as Frodo and Sam sing a song of the old tales, wondering if they will ever be part of those songs. As Sam falls asleep Frodo sings softly of "stouthearted Sam... holding my life in his hands" Lovely. Here's a clip for those who might be interested:

Frodo and Sam

It follows straight into Gollums big scene where he debates whether or not to cheat the hobbits, into his decision to take them "to her". Most of this can be seen in the clip below, but the London version was slightly different, with us seeing Gollums almost change of heart as he gazes at Frodo, being interrupted by Sams "sneaking" line.

Gollum

Aragorns arrival in Gondor was a bit disappointing. He basically went up to the nameless "Steward of Men", who ranted a bit about there being no hope for men because the old kings were all gone. Aragorn promptly whips out his sword and says "Aha!", and the Steward of Men is suddenly cured. "What should we do?" he asks, and Aragorn says, "Lets go challenge him at the gates of Mordor!"

Erm, ok. Just a tad rushed. Now I would forgive the rushed nature of this as a necessary evil in compressing the storyline were it not for the fact that its almost immediately followed by an Aragorn/Arwen power ballad. You know, if you're going to challenge the conventions of theatre in a groundbreaking new way, its kind of pointless to try and shoehorn in a standard theatrical "Song that goes like this".

Somewhere around now we have Shelob, who was a fantastic giant puppet, again very stylised. Each leg was manipulated by a cast member, who made no attempt to hide themselves. Instead it was very much in the style of "theatre sans fils" where you are asked to simply ignore the puppeteers and watch the action. Worked very well, and Sam had his moment, as did the phial of Galadriel.

Sam takes the ring, thinking Frodo dead, but Frodo wakes almost immediately, making Sam look like an opportunistic bastard, which Gollum naturally points out. I can't remember exactly how this worked, but I remember thinking it was a little weak.

Anyway, they get to the cracks of doom (with no "I can carry you" moment) Frodo refuses to destroy the ring, and in an unusual move Gollum seems to repent, take the ring and throw himself in the fire. I can't swear that this was the intention, but I think thats what was being suggested. Initially I thought the cracks of doom were a bit of an anticlimax, but they made up for it with a nice theatrical effect. As Gollum threw himself into a hole onstage, the entire playing area was washed in a red light and a Gollum double fell from the top of the stage, somersaulting slowly while calling out "My! Precious!".

No attempt was made to show the Eagles, so we cut straight to the Coronation and then to the Scouring of the Shire. Well, sort of. They arrived back to find the Shire destroyed and Saruman conveniently gone. Sam used his box of earth to heal the Shire and Hobbits came out and decked the stage in flowers.

Finally we had Frodo's departure from the Grey Havens with Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf and Bilbo. This was touching and there were more than a few tears shed, but I can't honestly say that the weight of my own knowledge of the backstory didn't inform that sentiment. Would I have felt the emotion without knowing the story before going in? I don't know.

This review reads back a bit critical, but I really think they did a wonderful job of getting the heart of the story up there on stage. All in all, a spectacular production, and one I defeinitley want to see again, but one that I fear still needs tweaking if its to survive on the West End alongside such heavyweights as les Miserables and Wicked.

Here's a trailer of the Toronto version that shows much of what I mentioned.

My apologies for any inaccuracies as I writing this from memory and its been a week since the show.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Jun , 2007 7:04 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Thanks a lot Alatar. It makes me want to see it even more. But no Eowyn? :bawl: If I go I'd like the chance to go with other people from the board.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Jun , 2007 7:18 pm
of Vinyamar

Well, I think Jewel and Di are going next Friday...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Jun , 2007 7:53 pm
Takoyaki is love

We had an Eowyn in the Toronto show.

EDIT: Did you have the battle of Pelenor Fields?

Last edited by Wilma on Fri 22 Jun , 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Jun , 2007 8:01 pm
of Vinyamar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 19 Nov , 2007 9:50 am
of Vinyamar

Bumping while we wait for Tosh's review....

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Mar , 2008 8:20 pm
of Vinyamar

Damn.
Quote:
LOTR Musical Ends London Run

March 14th, 2008 by xoanon

The Musical Spectacular “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” will complete its run at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane, London on 19 July, 2008 after 492 performances. The show has already played to an audience of over 446,000 in London since previews began on 9 May 2007. Due to the popularity of the London Production among international visitors, discussions are under way for the production to re-open in Germany in November 2009 with a German-speaking cast. “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” creative team is also developing a touring version to launch in New Zealand in 2009 before being presented in cities across Australia and the Far East. This new production will bring the show’s ground-breaking musical score and J.R.R. Tolkien’s beloved story to a global audience. Producer Kevin Wallace said today, “The show’s creative team has proven just how enchanting, exhilarating and powerfully entertaining The Lord of the Rings can be live on stage. We will continue to bring this incredible theatrical event to audiences in London until 19 July, and we look forward to presenting the show to new audiences abroad from 2009.”

“THE LORD OF THE RINGS” has earned high praise from fans of Tolkien’s wonderful books and the general theatre-going public alike,” said Laurie Battle of the Saul Zaentz Company. “The enchanted environment at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane is a “once in a lifetime” opportunity to step into the fantastic world of Middle-earth. The telling of this epic story on stage is a brilliant example of how magical the live theatrical experience can be. With a stunning score, powerful performances and perhaps the most beautiful and spectacular design the West End has ever seen, this show is not to be missed.”

The producers today thanked the public for making “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” one of the three top-selling shows during the Society of London Theatre’s 2007 Kids Week and Get Into London Theatre campaigns, as well as those ticket agents who have supported the show, taking “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” to top-selling positions in their monthly West End sales charts.

A Kevin Wallace Limited Production, “THE LORD OF THE RINGS” is presented by Kevin Wallace and Saul Zaentz.

Tickets for “THE LORD OF THE RINGS”, at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane are available in person from the theatre box office; by phone on 0844 412 4660, online at www.lotr.com and from all reputable theatre ticket agents. Ticket prices start at £15.00.

Performance times: Monday 7:00pm; Tuesday – Saturday 7:30pm; Thursday and Saturday 2:00pm

“A Hugely Impressive Production” The Guardian

“Go with an open heart, wide-open eyes and prepare for enchantment -
THIS SHOW IS A WONDER” The Times

“A powerful piece of popular storytelling, that makes for a totally involving
theatrical experience. Amazing!” Sunday Express

“The Production is Astounding… Astonishing special effects” London Lite

“Without doubt the most spectacular show in the West End” lastminute.com

“Astonishing” The Sunday Times

Astonishing… Ingenious…Not to be missed! The Hollywood Reporter

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 15 Mar , 2008 8:53 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Ugh. I just got the soundtrack this morning too. Thought I'd one day be able to see the London version and compare it to Toronto. Oh well.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Mar , 2008 8:51 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Shit.

I was hoping to go in the summer.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 06 Apr , 2008 10:07 pm
His Rosyness

Such a shame, now that I've been listening to the CD I'm starting to fall in love with the songs and I can't wait to see it again.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 May , 2008 9:55 am
of Vinyamar

Pics from my backstage tour!
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 May , 2008 8:08 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

*is jealous*

I keep bursting into

Shine Forever, Beacon of Light!

around the place. I'm going in June! So excited!

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Jul , 2008 12:53 pm
His Rosyness

Is anyone going to the final performance on saturday? I'm thinking of seeing if I can grab last minute tickets and get down there.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Iavas_Saar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Jul , 2008 2:56 pm
His Rosyness

The show has sailed into the West :(

I definitely appreciated it more the 2nd time knowing all the music - despite some dodgy acting by Gandalf and Galadriel, and the ents being tiresome.

Brilliant performances by Frodo and Sam. Frodo's verse in "For Always" was delivered much more emotionally. Beautiful.

Only regret was not being able to see the very final show (we could only get in to the matinee), but it worked out better overall as it was a lovely evening in the city.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to: