The Last Homely Site on the Web

Calling all creative folk!

Post Reply   Page 2 of 13  [ 243 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 5:51 am

Quote:
anyone that makes and then plays their own instruments?
Some of the drums that I play are drums that I made myself, although I made them about 13 years ago, before I even started going to law school (which pretty much put an end to my drummaking days). I prefer the drums that my partner or I have brought back from Guinea anyway; I have neither the skill nor the proper materials to make drums as good as the ones that come directly out of a centuries old tradition. I do however, maintain all of my drums, including reskinning them when necessary.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:13 pm
Another bright red day

duffster-those doors are wonderful! Especially like the top one. It must be really neat in the dark.

Eruname, your painting is lovely. I've always liked your paintings (from what I saw as featured in Iavas' sig). :)

Sidonzo, I do theatre at my high school, and I'm looking at working with a theatrical lighting company for senior project. You're so right about how it takes some of everything. That's one of the things that I love so much about it. . . you need soo much to put it all together. It kind of combines all the arts-between costuming, set, lighting and sound, acting, music, there's a bit of everything.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:32 pm
of Vinyamar

Count me in as another Theatrical type. I act well, sing ok and dance enough to get by. I directed my first full length production last year, which was the Dale Wasserman adaptation of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". I've done a lot of musicals and a fair few plays. I'm definitely more suited to serious dramatic works, comedy is not my forte. I can do it, but it doesn't come as naturally as heavy drama. Really good drama doesn't require "acting", jus a willingness to let yourself inhabut the role. If it's written well that's half the battle.

I also play guitar and I used to write songs, but they were dreadful so I gave that up :). I'd love to be able to draw but I have no talent for it. I love modelmaking and painting miniatures. Incidentally, did you know that the best Lord of the Rings miniatures are made in Ireland by Mithril Miniatures?

Cheers,
Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Teremia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:37 pm
Reads while walking

OK, just joining the crowd here. If I don't have a creative project going, I'm not happy (REALLY not happy!). It makes the world three-dimensional for me, if you know what I mean: adds an illusion of depth to the universe. And maybe sometimes that depth isn't even an illusion!

I always have a big fiction project going (writing a semi-comic novel sort of loosely based on RL at the moment; 2 sci-fi novels done; 3rd one is next in the hopper after the roman-sort-of-a-clef). I keep a little notebook for plotting purposes in my backpack; comes in handy during boring lectures (which my job subjects me to regularly). Poems a few times a year, whenever they emerge. I compose, too -- some "string band" stuff (waltzes, reels, jigs), lots of folk songs for private use, some more contemporary things (just finished a 3-mvt. sonatina for violin and piano).

Rarer bouts of more hands on projects have popped up now and again (as a kid I was very into pen-and-ink drawings for a while; sewed a few things [but no sewing machine here!]; a few years ago did a really elaborate tissue paper collage for my daughter's retiring violin teacher), but writing and music are my mainstays.

Edit after belatedly reading the rest of the thread: hey, Laureanna! Those are 3D quilts??? Those are AMAZING!!! My mother made quilts and tapestries and rugs and wall hangings, so (knowing the skill required) I am always completely astounded by people with textile talents.

Last edited by Teremia on Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:39 pm
Can never be buggered at all

Sidonzo, yes, the RP is still going on, although very slowly because of everyone's real life issues. The last post so far is mine, telling where the last group heading for Lothlórien is. I'll have to try and draw a portrait of Aradriel some time (although my characters tend to suck). :)

Laureanna and Griff, really nice paintings!

I really hope Klonkku gets back here at some point; he's a semi-professional actor, and almost made it to the Theatre Academy already last year. :cheerleader: But for now, he's caught up with his student exam.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:42 pm

I finished making a papier-mache and broken-cd disco ball last night, does that count?

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 8:43 pm
Everything Is Numb

Griffon, I like your watercolor horses. You captured their movement very well, but I think you also captured their beauty too.

Laureanna, I like your drawings. Did you make them up, or did you follow a pattern? I really like your 3D quilts. I have never seen or heard about 3D quilts before. What makes them hold their shape?

Rodia, was your disco ball for a party? I've seen patterns for those before. They're really neat.

Eruname (I love your rose by the way, it makes me think of The Phantom of the Opera), you're right about practicing drawing skills. I also believe it is a skill to be learned like any other. I'm still not very good at drawing, but I'm determined to get better. These are two pictures that I have drawn. The first I drew two years ago and the second is the same three women drawn this month. Now the second still has some problems, but I am making progress because I've been practicing drawing figures.

[ img ]

[ img ]

~Sidonzo

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 9:04 pm

Nah, it was just something fun to do. I had a stack of about two dozen old cd's with data I didn't need anymore, and I felt really stupid throwing them away (have a penchant for saving odds and ends.) And then I thought, heeeey...disco ball! Actually it looks more like a disco egg, and I call it The Moon. I'll take a picture after Easter when I go back to the dorm. But I never knew cd's were so darn hard to break! Had to cut them up with scissors...didn't use a pattern or anything, I just glued them on where best they fit. It's a ragged Moon but it's mine.

Your three women are pretty cool, Sidonzo! I like how you work the colour, that must take a lot of patience. Me, all my drawings and paintings look dirty because I hurry and don't clean my brushes...

[ img ]

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 10:45 pm

I'm never really as happy as when I've got a fun project going. I've been taken with making picture frames lately, but I enjoy a lot of crafty projects. Let's see, I like doing projects with wire, stained glass, decoupage, Fimo, and other odds and ends. I also love taking pictures and playing with them on Photoshop. Drawing and painting are also big things that I like to do (hence theduffster's doors), but I don't find time for them as often. I can copy pictures quite well, but am not as good at coming up with ideas on my own, so I try to alter them in some way to make them my own.

Rodia, I recently made a picture frame with cut up cds, I found it rather fun! Here's a picture of it:
[ img ]

With Photoshop, I like to mess with digital pictures <coughs discretely> but I also think that you can do some real neat things with it. I took a Computer Art class, and that convinced me that even using Photoshop can be a real art. Here's a picture I drew, and then altered with Photoshop:
[ img ] [ img ]

I think I prefer it before I colored it, but that's just because I like it in black and white. Don't get me wrong, I love colored pencils and such, but using Photoshop was so nice. Much easier to fix a mistake and get the effect I was after, in my opinion.

This is actually one of my favorite pictures ever, I Photoshopped it some, but I liked it before (just not as much!):
[ img ]

I like the color and the lines all pointing to the focal point, except for my roommate, who is crooked and 'off,' but that just ties it together more. :D Oh how I love fun pictures.

Anyway, just some of my thoughts! It's fun to see we have so many creative people here. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 11:43 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

My creative outlet. :D And, yes, it is an artform. If the pics are too big I can change those to links.

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 11:59 pm

Okay, I'm no artist for sure, certainly nothing compared to some of the folks here. But I've forever felt that I probably had a pretty strong creative side and I simply never took the care to really indulge it. I use to draw a lot when I was young, but I was never any good so I never pursued it much. Which kinda sucks, cuz really, just cuz I can't draw straight lines doesn't mean I might not have creative talent. If I put a ton of time and patient focus I would be able to come up with some pretty decent stuff. Unfortunately, the only time I ever really did that was during a severe depression I suffered during my mid-teens, which led to two or three fairly morbid pictures - though of decent quality for me. I'll see if I can scan them sometime this weekend.

Recently, though, I've been having a mini-resurgence in my artistic-mindedness. When I got a new PC last year with a CD burner, one thing I wanted to do was to make copies of all my CDs so I could keep a copy in my car and one in the house. When I first started doing it, I figured I'd just write the band & album name on the cover with some permanent marker. So I went out and bought a pack of Sharpies with four colors. But after doing a few of these, I realized how ugly and boring it was going to look to have all these albums with just names on the blank CD surface, so over time I started getting more and more creative with it. Now, instead of simply writing the names down, I will listen to the albums and try to use the music as an inspiration for album cover ideas. The more time goes on, the more intricate, imaginative, and interesting my cover designs get and it's making me realize that I'm actually a pretty creative person.

They're very small projects - the hardest one I've done took me over two hours two do, most of them take 30-60 minutes - but they really get my creative juices flowing. Even though it's just markers on a blank CD face - a very limiting medium for my little attempts at art - I find myself really getting into the details of the pieces, really trying my best to evoke the right feeling from the colors, lines, and shapes. I keep getting more and more experimental with the techniques and finding out what you can do with markers to get different effects. The lack of precision inherent in a marker (they smudge and smear soooo easily) can be really frustrating, as is the lack of an erase button. That fact keeps messing up my designs and I rarely really get the final product to be what I originally intended. Nonetheless, I'm rather proud of my little pieces of art. :) I'll try and scan some of my favorites later if anyone is interested.

More interesting, on a personal level, is that it's got me thinking about possibilities for the future. I got a Computer Science degree in the hopes of becoming a Computer Programmer, but I've somewhat given up on that career path and so now my career aspirations are completely up in the air. This has got me thinking that I might really enjoy a career in graphic design or something along those lines. I'm creative, a perfectionist, and enjoy it a great deal. If I could get some technical skill, I think it could be a decent possibility...

EDIT: :shock: for the ttbk

Profile Quote
tinwe
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Mar , 2005 1:55 am
Waiting for winter

Sidonzo wrote:
I also want this to be a place for all types of creations: handcrafts, sewing, woodworking, historical costuming, jewelry-making, smithing/metal-working, toy-making, calligraphy, photography, amateur film-making, acting, ect...(I'm sure you guys can think of some I've left out).

~Sidonzo
Architecture! (That’s what I do for a living).

I’ll try to explain a bit of the creative process I use, which I imagine is similar in some ways to that of others, and different in other ways.

Architecture is the most utilitarian of the arts. While any other type of art can exist for purely non-utilitarian purposes, Architecture always has a function (at the very least it has to keep the rain off your head, and hopefully it does ;) ). So the process for me always starts with collecting information, much of which is of the rather bland and boring type - programming (listing the activities to take place in te building), space planning (what spaces are needed to accommodate the program, how big do they need to be, what relationships need to exist between the spaces), researching typology (is the project civic, commercial, liturgical, residential, etc). I look for anything inspirational I can find while gathering this information, but I never commit to anything at this point.

Once I have collected enough information I simply let it ferment in my mind for a period of time. I may do some sketches along the way, but they invariably are weak, timid and end up being wadded up and thrown in the trash as soon as they are done. This period of synthesizing information is the most difficult for me. I grasp for ideas that are specific to the data I’m trying to process, which always leads to a degree of frustration. The harder I try to focus on the task, the more impossible it seems to become.

Eventually I reach a point where I have to let it all go, just take all of the leg work and set it aside, forget about it, block it out my mind. And that is when the creative impulse always seems to come. All of the prior thought is still there in my subconscious, directing what I do, but by not focusing on it I can free myself to allow other inspirations to come through. And when it does finally come, it comes fast and furious. Usually within about fifteen minutes I can come up with a design that is nearly complete in its conception. And these sudden fits can hit at any time - while I’m eating, taking a shower, even while I’m sleeping. I have actually dreamed of building designs in my sleep. Not vague, conceptual ideas, but very specific, detailed designs. There are always adjustments and refinements that have to be made to these initial creative bursts, but the final product is usually very close to the original idea.

That’s pretty much the process for me. Mind you, this is my job - it’s all “work related” for the most part.

I do have one quirky idiosyncracy that I am curious if anyone else shares. I find that it is very difficult to do creative things for myself. I tend to obsess over the details to the point that the larger idea never materializes. I find it much easier to be creative when I’m doing it for someone else. I find that I can set aside my own preconceptions, and I feel more free to experiment. Does anyone else ever experience this, or is it just me?

Eruname,

I love drawing with color pencils. I used to do all of my architectural renderings in color pencil when I was in school. I love the way that you can different shades, practically different colors, from the same pencil, just by altering the pressure on them.

TTBK,

Legos were definitely my favorite pastime when I was young, and probably had something to do with my choice of career. You’re not thinking of going into Architecture are you?

To all of the musicians here - the ability to compose music is something that never ceases to amaze me. Its one thing that I really wish I could do, but alas, I have no musical talent at all. My hat is off to all of you.

To everyone - I like all of your creations! Please show us more!

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Mar , 2005 8:22 pm

Rebecca, great minds think alike, therefore I will assume you posess a great mind.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 1:40 am
Everything Is Numb

Tennis-ball, I really like your Lego creations. I especially like the view where I can see the rooms. Do you have specific rooms in mind for those (such as dungeon, throne room, ect...)? Are you going to add on to it, or is it complete in your mind? I also think that building with Legos is creative. It is something I used to do, but I never built anything as involved as your castle. How long did you it take you to build that?

Voronwe, I remember you discussing your drumming on TORC back in December. Do you have any recordings of your music? What are your drums made out of? You speak of traditional drum-making in Guinea. How are they made and with what?

Yovargas, I would be interested in seeing your CD artwork. Is it abstract in design? If not what are the pictures of? Did you ever break down and by more Sharpie colors? If not I have a lot of Sharpie duplicates and if you would like to have them, let me know.

~Sidonzo

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 6:37 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Quote:
Tennis-ball, I really like your Lego creations. I especially like the view where I can see the rooms. Do you have specific rooms in mind for those (such as dungeon, throne room, ect...)?
There's a dungeon in there (if I ever get some better pics you'll be able to see it) that part of the wall comes out so it can be accessed. It wasn't planned as well as I would like, it was supposed to be easier to reach inside. I'm quite proud of the exterior though.

As for it being finished; nothing's ever really finished, it's more like a rough draft of what I wanted to build, sometimes I rebuild it several times (which was the case with this one, I tore it down and restarted twice), sometimes I just move on to something else and come back to the idea later if I think I could do it better. This one is due to be torn down any day now to make room (and free up all those tan & gray parts!) for something new.

It took me a couple months to build it and it's previous two incarnations. :)

tinwe_linto wrote:
You’re not thinking of going into Architecture are you?
Actually, yes, I'm considering it. Not sure how seriously, but it's something I'm thinking about.

Yov: Show us your Cds!

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 7:29 pm
Sorcery in Action

Im another one of those that likes to dabble in creativity. For me that mostly takes the form of drawing/painting and poetry writing... though the first is purely for fun as Im not very great at it... and the latter is more of a therapeutic outlet... but Ive been learning on streamlining it a bit as a craft on its own. I like little art projects also... the sad part is I dont have time for much art with busy university stuff :(
Yesterday I made some Pisanki Easter Eggs (with wax resist and dying), and that made me very happy... I miss art stuff... must make more time for it!

Some of my art is uploaded
Here (mostly old art though...)
and I also have an Elfwood gallery...here
Again, not updated in a long time and mostly older work... me too busy... sigh.

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 8:34 pm

Enchy, I really like your pencil sketches. I particularly liked "motherhood". Lovely. :)
Sidonzo wrote:
Yovargas, I would be interested in seeing your CD artwork. Is it abstract in design? If not what are the pictures of? Did you ever break down and by more Sharpie colors? If not I have a lot of Sharpie duplicates and if you would like to have them, let me know.
They're totally abstract except for the band name and album I usually put on them. The idea was to try and convey the "feel" of the album in some visual form. Since that "feel", whether it be playful, angry, peaceful, ominous, or whatever, is always an abstract idea then abstract visuals convey that best, imo. Plus its damn hard to draw decently with Sharpies on the CD surface! And I've got about a dozen colors now. Would love to have more but Sharpie colors are very limited, mostly being variations on blue, green, red, and yellow. Some colors that I'd really like to able to draw with are white, silver, pink, and brown but I haven't seen any of those in stores.

Anyways, here's a few I scanned in. They don't look as good scanned in as I'd hoped, and I'm a bit embarassed to show my uber-amateurish stuff amongst all the quality stuff going on here. But here goes anyways. :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/yo ... os0002.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/yo ... EP0001.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/yo ... ck0001.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/yo ... re0001.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/yo ... mwaits.jpg

This is a crappy medium to work in. First, Sharpies on the slick CD surfaces smudge super easy. Very annoying. Plus, there's no way (that I now of) to fix a mistake if I make one. My only option is to try and cover it up which doesn't always work (in the first pic, the place with the name on the right is supposed to be a thin rectangle, but a smudge forced me to bring in the corners, which annoyes me to no end every time I see it). But the worst part is how damn hard it is to do nice looking fonts by hand. On the third pic of the Beck album, I tried to do some fancy font stuff but I kept messing up and every time I tried to fix it, it got worse leading to the messed up 'O' in "Odelay". More annoying is the fourth one from "Arcade Fire" where the lettering just looks like plain boring hand-writing (which it is). That one drives me nuts because otherwise I think it's very pretty, my most succesful piece aesthetically (the colors don't show up that great in the scan), but the font ruins the effect. Anyways, enough bitching...

...and just for fun, here's one of the pencil sketches I did way back when I was a teen.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/yo ... endude.jpg[/url]

Profile Quote
Sidonzo
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 26 Mar , 2005 9:01 pm
Everything Is Numb

Enchantress, I too like your drawings. I like that you have your own style, it reminds me of African/East Indian art. I try to have my own stlye too. I respect people that can draw very realistically (something I can't do), but I also like artists that have their own flavor (so to speak). I like to be able to look at a drawing and say so-and-so made this!

Yovargas, I also like your CD art. My favorites are The Firey Furnaces and Beck Odelay (I can't say that I'm familiar with those bands though). The only pink Sharpie I have is more of a magenta and it looks like you already have it. I do have two browns though. A true brown and a tan. For silver and white, have you tried those acid free markers used for scrap-booking? I'm not sure if they can mark on CDs, but it is worth a shot. :)

~Sidonzo

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 9:32 pm
DomiKNITrix

Hello everyone! I seldom check if there are new threads here, but today I finally had the chance again and saw this one.

I've just finished a painting which you can view here. I had had the idea for it more than 3 years ago and had to specially order the canvas as I wanted exactly this format (2m x 0,5m). Once I had it, I tred out something that didn't work in the end: I wanted to use a particular structure paint to get an irregular surface. It looked awful! So I picked the bits off again, which took me a very long time. Some of it never went off completely, though. So recently I fnally went and bought some paint and thought it was time, after these years, to really get started on the actual painting. I am surprised it really worked so well! I can't take my eyes off it (yet). In the meantime I even managed to turn the picture intoa cross-stitch pattern for bookmarks. I sent it to my best friend, the finished bookmark and would like to make one for myself next.

I've always loved painting, but when I went to university, I focussed on my writing instead, which I absolutely love more that anything else and have developed to (near) perfection, if I say so myself. :D But I lost interest in art, especially when I noticed that my studies in art weren't as I had expected. Especially when i took my final exams in art and did worse than I expected (strangley not my fault though!), I thought I'd never paint again. It's been more than a year since then and now I feel I have to paint more! I am really very motivated, but currently lack the money and teh sapce to get more canvases.:) I hope to get some more soon.

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 28 Mar , 2005 10:01 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I grow bonsai and started ceramics to make my own pots because I couldn't afford to buy very many. After a while when I had made enough pots and was getting bored I tried my hand at human figures and was fairly pleased with the result. Well, amazed would be more accurate because I can't draw for toffee. The advantage of clay is that you can keep on adding and subtracting material indefinitely until it looks right. The figure off to the left is not too good, it's a bit clumsy and I have made better ones but she's called Lady with Verruca.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 13  [ 243 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 513 »
Jump to: