The Last Homely Site on the Web

Calling all creative folk!

Post Reply   Page 4 of 13  [ 243 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 613 »
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 5:20 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Yes, I like Degas, the artist not the man, for those photographic like moments in time and I might well have had in the back of my mind an image of a dancer adjusting a shoe. I'll have to start looking at books of Bonnard and others to find out who I copied! The inspiration was classical however.
Sil, did you mean the early 19th Century Swiss artist known in this country as Fuseli? Strange, almost fetishistic works.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 5:22 pm
DomiKNITrix

Yep, that's teh one. I had no idea he had a different name abroad, but given the unusual spelling of the original it doesn't surprise me.:)

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 5:22 pm
Milk and kisses

That's the man. :cool:
I feel the time to start that art thread is ripe...

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 6:33 pm

[ img ]

:D

My first ball and socket armature, and I think it turned out pretty darn good.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 9:56 pm
WYSIWYG

Hey I had completely forgotten about this thread - wow, some cool stuff here!

Tosh, I had no idea the figure in your sig was your own work - I thought it was a professional piece of art - I quite like it, too!

Silwen, you don't start small, do you? ;) A two-meter high painting! Quite nice, though.

I actually did a drawing again at the weekend (last time I did that was around the time I found TORC - and from then on I just didn't have the time) - and I would've continued in the past few days if I hadn't been so busy posting here! :roll: ;) :D

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 7:31 pm
DomiKNITrix

Today I finished another painting. This one is very small though, 20 x 20 cm. It's called Nude with apricot.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 9:18 pm

Oh, nice! The whites- is that canvas shining through, or did you highlight with white?

I've bought an easel recently and am painting a lot of the buildings outside...I did this last year too, except my window faced the other way. Here's one I painted for Gimlikins...I hope he doesn't mind my sharing. :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/R ... window.jpg Oil on canvas.

And this is one I painted for my parents. It's our Liffey-dog at her favourite sport.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/R ... msmall.jpg

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 10:56 am
DomiKNITrix

Rodia, they are both fantastic, those paintings! :Q :bow:

The white bits on my painting are paint. I have the feeling I used too much there, especially on the right arm that ought to be in shadow, really. And I would like to add something to the background. It looks so empty and the nude in mid-air.

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 9:11 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Several more pictures of the castle I posted earlier: Clicky here!

:)

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 9:54 pm
WYSIWYG

Ro, your dog and I have the same favourite sport! :D

Lovely pic! :)

Silwen, that's quite good, too! Did you learn to paint somewhere or is it all self-taught?
(And is it for your, er, apricot project? ;) )

ttbk, I think the castle is awesome, too - how many pieces do you need for that?

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 10:29 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Quote:
ttbk, I think the castle is awesome, too - how many pieces do you need for that?
Thanks. :) Oooh, I'd guess 5,000+, there's several hundred $$$ worth of plastic bricks in there, but I got it all for a fraction of the retail price through clearance sales and Ebay. :D

Rodia, I like your nifty ball and socket armature, is it going to be used for anything in particular?

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 10:48 pm

My animation. I won't tell you anything more because the more I talk about it the more tired I get of the whole script...and it's not a great script to begin with so I'd rather hold on to the scraps of enthusiasm I have while I can. :P I'll post pictures of the main character as I create him though. :)

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 8:24 am
DomiKNITrix

Hobby, psssst! Yes, secret apricot project. The fruit was a dead give-away, wasn't it?
I was always good in art and later on studied it as a minor suject. However, Iwas never taught to paint, only to draw.

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 3:51 pm
DomiKNITrix

Okay,Tosh, here's the drawing: Click!

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 10 Apr , 2005 9:16 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Thanks Sil. My verruca lady is not as charming as Fussli/Fuseli's. I hadn't seen that before but that was the kind of posture I was hoping to catch.
BTW when I call up the Yahoo site it freezes my computer and I have to reboot! :scratch
[/img]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 8:12 am
DomiKNITrix

:Q I didn't do anything! I swear!

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 10:02 am
Per aspera ad astra

I have been lurking in this thread for quite a while now....

I am in awe with all those people able to draw. I can't draw a straight line. I'm hopeless with pictionnary.... and unfortunately I see that neither of my boys draws very well :(.

When I was younger, I used to do some sculpture in clay, a bit like Tosh. I loved the material and made some good things - although not in colour. (only a monk in colour). I never even tried pots and the rest - boring... I gave it up when moving to Switzerland, and only later tried once again. It's not so easy to find time and places to get your things cooked. But I would really like to try again, one day. I'll try to scan some photos - when I was fourteen I made a sculpture of Charlie Chaplin, which I gave to my mother and I still think that it is in fact quite well done.

My main creative outlet is writing. It's as necessary as breathing, I would say. When I was a child, I wanted to be a writer for children's books. But I never had the courage to give someone things to read I had written. Between 20 and 30 I did hardly write at all - the change of living environnement, the choice to live a life based on another language was certainly for something in it. I came back to writing with TORC... RPs and poetry. It gave me confidence, and when I got the news the other day that a story of mine would be published, I was happy as hardly ever before. I start to think further now... but probably the rest will remain at the stage of dreams.

What I mostly like is the process of creating in fact - one of my sculptures blew up in the oven, and I did not care a lot. Once it is done, I am strangely detached from the object, and I gave most of my sculptures away to family members (who keep asking for more). The same goes for writing - some of my poems which were only posted in the Bard's Guild - it would take me hours to find them again. I won't do it.

TTBK: I showed pictures of your Lego creation to my sons.... :D They were absolutely thrilled!!!!

Silwen - I enjoyed that second nude a lot. I love blue, and I love nude drawings.

I'll slip back into lurkdom about this thread again - the talent of some people here is giving me goosebumps.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 10:26 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

nin, I can't draw either. It was the biggest surprise of my life that I discovered some sort of facility for clay modelling; sufficient skill anyway that didn't make me cringe in embarrassment. The nice thing about clay is that you can keep on adding and subtracting indefinitely until it is right. My point is that no matter how late in life, you can still stumble upon fresh skills. If there is something you want to do, then practice. A big surprise for me was that Van Gogh taught himself painting and drawing when he was an adult.
I find I have to balance constructive and destructive self criticism, ie that was crap but I can do better versus that was crap - I'm out of my depth here.

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 7:22 am
Sorcery in Action

Almost forgot about this thread...
I have finally put some pics of my Easter eggs up, clicky on the egg picture:
[ img ]
(please ignore the food pictures at the end ;))

Im out of practise with these...its been a while ( Im usually swamped with stuff around Easter :(..) but this year I MADE time for it and Im glad.
The dyes I had were crappy and so egg 2 didnt turn out well at all...

If anyone is ever curious about some poetry of mine, some samples are tucked away in "There and Back Again" forum. :)

RO, I love your metal hinge man!! :D

I love the variety in this thread :)

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Silwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 16 Apr , 2005 7:51 am
DomiKNITrix

These are the most amazingly beautiful Easter eggs I have ever seen in all my life! What kinds of paint did you use for them? And did you use a brush to make the designs?

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 13  [ 243 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 613 »
Jump to: