Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 27 Jun , 2005 10:04 pm
Takoyaki is love

If you are in the mood, you can email the authur a thank you note

Raju Mudhar
rmudhar@thestar.ca

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 01 Jul , 2005 9:28 pm

I've been a Firefly fan ever since I saw the first series promo.

Great picture, Wilma. *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*, I remember that bus picture. We were there in Toronto, too, but the only picture of me is the one I took of myself in that mirrrored hall on the second floor of the hotel.

September 30 seems a long way away, but
http://www.fireflyfans.net/main.asp
says there are only 91 DAYS REMAINING.

Can't Stop the Signal thread at http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/ser ... =home.main
is supposedly the best place to find out about more pre-screenings.

:cheers Wilma, for seeing a pre-screeening! :cheers

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 12:46 am
Takoyaki is love

Oh I did not get in trouble. I have heard soem rumours on potential dates for screenings, but I would prefer people PM me rather then posting it publicly.

The picture in the paper was half a page!!! I have 2 copies. :)

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Jul , 2005 5:47 pm

:oops: Wilma, you had already mentioned cantstopthesignal before I linked it. If we hear about more pre-screenings we can suggest everybody visit that site.

And I have heard rumors that it will be released earlier than Sept. 30, as well as rumors that the changes may be more than enhanced CGI and music, and that some of the current pre-release will only be on the DVD as extra stuff.

Have you seen the poseable action figures? Want a link?

A registered Browncoat.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 5:43 am
Takoyaki is love

Go for it. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Jul , 2005 7:02 pm

http://www.bigdamnstore.com

Fun stuff. Guess Book isn't gonna be one. :scratch

And maybe an Inara action figure would be in an entirely different kind of store. ;)

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Jul , 2005 2:30 am
Takoyaki is love

No Book action figure? :bawl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Jul , 2005 12:41 am

Possibly cause he doesn't need weapons?
Heard there were cards, yes CARDS Wilma. Want some to go with your Farscape collection?

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2005 5:51 am
Marshmallow Toaster

I still haven't had the privilege of seeing the Firefly series. Should I just rent the DVD's, or are they worth buying?

[ img ]

[ img ]

It really doesn't. :neutral:

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Jul , 2005 10:19 am
Takoyaki is love

Well me I haven't purchased yet since I am poor but I find, (when I remember to watch them on SPACE), the series is quite re-watchable. Also, I think it is only one DVD and if you don't like it you could always donate it to a library. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Jul , 2005 8:16 pm

Rent it, then save up and wait for an excuse to buy it (like me). Amazon sells the set of 4 dvds for U$29.99.

:love: my prescioussss :love:

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Jul , 2005 8:26 pm

Well, I've seen two episodes of Firefly so far, and am hooked.

Thanks for the recommendation, Nina. :)

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Jul , 2005 5:50 am
Marshmallow Toaster

Ditto, Maria. I rented the first six episodes, and have watched both Serenity (the true first episode) and The Train Job. And I've gotta say I'm blown away. I was pretty hyped up after reading all the glowing opinions of the series, and it still managed to surprise me with its quality.

The script is fantastic. When Joss Whedon wants to write good dialoge, she writes REALLY good dialogue, and that's all there is in this series so far. Love some of the jargon she created too. I also love the characterization. I was amazed at how much I already cared about all the characters just an hour into Serenity. The plot, while not entirely original, is quite compelling. The acting is top notch, helping me to completely buy into both the characters and the plot. The universe that Whedon has created is quite fascinating. I love the diverse cultural influences; the stark contrast between the "clean and brand spankin' new" technology of the Alliance at one end, the primitive technology of the border worlds, and the technology of our heroes (and anti-heroes) somewhere in between; and I love the "western-in-space" feel. Oh, and above all, I love the very different (for sci-fi) yet strangely appropriate soundtrack.

I think I like it more than Star Wars, and that's saying a hell of a lot (not to mention taking me completely by surprise)! :Q My wife typically hates every sci-fi TV series that comes out, but after I watched the first episode by myself, I made her sit down with me while I watched it a second time. Now she's hooked, too. :)

I don't know if Whedon has commented on it, but is the reason that the only languages used are English and Chinese related to the idea that America and China may become competing superpowers at some point, and that as a result only they had successful space programs and were able to populate the stars? Or is it just because she likes Chinese? :)

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Jul , 2005 7:04 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Joss Whedon is a she?

:cool:

Never knew that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Jul , 2005 9:44 pm

Nope, Joss changed his name from Jim (I think). He is third generation Hollywood scriptwriter. I had the telly on waiting for the noon news, and the credits rolled for Mayberry...and a Wheedon was listed as writer. Grandfather, I guess.

Yuppers, he writes reeeeaaal goood. And throws in references when I'm not expecting one. Our favorite is the reference to Indie and the bad guy with the whip.

MH, you're welcome. How many years since the first recommendation???

79 DAYS REMAINING

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jul , 2005 8:03 pm

I dunno how long since the hints started [ img ]..... At least a year.

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jul , 2005 10:01 pm

78 DAYS REMAINING

Unless you wanna travel...
Serenity goes to Australian Film Fantastic festival! Screening Friday 22nd July.
http://www.filmfantastic.com/films.html

Serenity screenings in Australia! 1st and 4th of August for Sydney, Perth and Adelaide!

Serenity WORLD PREMIERE in Scotland on August 22nd. Completed film, screened twice, with Joss in attendance.

As I was saying, 78 days if you are a poor mortal.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Jul , 2005 10:36 pm
Takoyaki is love

I heard there will be a screening in Australia!!!!! universal is amazing They thought about the rest of the world!!! Woohoo!!!!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Winged Balrog
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 4:02 am
Marshmallow Toaster

So I'd never heard of a man being called Joss and I got mixed up! So shoot me!

Forgot to add that I love the humor--particularly the darker humor. One of my fave scenes is when Mal says "darn" and kicks that goon into the turbine, because he'd said he was going to devote his life to hunting down and killing Mal.

I also love the way expectations for a particular scenario (often a cliched one) are set up, and then totally blown away. Take the scene I mentioned above as a case in point. The big ugly dude with the tatooed face was set up to be a major villain. When he's telling Mal that he's going to do whatever it takes to finding him and sticking his blade in him, I thought to myself that this guy was going to be some kind of arch-nemesis who would pop up periodically through the series. I thought that Mal would do the "honorable" thing that heroes always do in these sorts of things, and let the villain go despite the ongoing danger that he presents. But nope! :)

Another great example is the planned escape attempt in the episode where Mal duels with one of Inara's clients with a good old fashioned sword (can't remember the name of the episode). They've spent a good part of the episode showing the characters coming up with some great, secret escape plan, but then Mal and Inara show up and we never get to see it. :)

And I especially love Mal's no-fuss attitude. Again, see the first scene I mentioned. Don't know if there are any fans of Preacher comics around here, but the main character of that, Jesse Custer, reminds me a whole lot of Mal.

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Jul , 2005 10:30 pm

Well, he should have picked something less ambiguous to change his name to. If I could find that biog online again, I would link it. Think he changed it after college and before returning home to Hollywood.

That kick-the-baddie-into-the-turbine is what felt like the 'Indiana just shoots the bad guy with the whip'. Joss did it better and much quicker. It's like he knows all these cliches and just plays with them.

The 'Mal doesn't really learn swordplay' is in the Shindig episode. I really haven't watched the episodes non-stop. Just when they aired, then from Netflix. Now that I have the series, I keep waiting for Hubby to be here to watch them with me.

Got to find a comic store somewhere. It's time for the first Serenity comic to come out. Would buy the three on line, but they ship each of the three separately, which apparently means 3 shipping charges. About $9 for the three comics and $15 for shipping.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 8  [ 152 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 58 »
Jump to: