The Last Homely Site on the Web

Firefly and Serenity

Post Reply   Page 1 of 8  [ 152 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
Alatar
Post subject: Firefly and Serenity
Posted: Fri 29 Apr , 2005 2:38 pm
of Vinyamar

I'm splitting this off rather than discuss it in the Sci-Fi year thread.

Wilma, can you tell me whether it's safe for me to watch the Serenity trailer? I'm a spoilers freak and I don't want my first viewing of the series ruined by something stupid in the trailers. Should I avoid Serenity news until I've watched the series in it's entirety?

Thanks,
Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Apr , 2005 2:47 pm
Takoyaki is love

Oh Fudge I have not seen the trailer yet, but on Saturday I am going to a Firefly/Serenity meetup. We are going to see the trailer on the big screen since it will be with The Hicthikers guide to the Galaxy. I know a bit about the time line so I think it would be best to avoid it right now. The more that I think about it yeah, I know what story is going to be covered in (hopefully first) movie and I think it will spoil you. Watch the series first.

ETA: just saw the trailer. It will spoil you. It was so good though!!! *giddy*

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Cerin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 05 May , 2005 6:01 pm
Thanks to Holby

Is Serenity a movie taking up the Firefly series? I sure enjoyed that series, and was really disappointed to be left hanging. Is there more available on DVD than they showed on TV?

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 08 May , 2005 7:41 pm
Takoyaki is love

There were at least 3 more episodes. Also they have them in order, since Fox played them out of order. It makes a difference. SPACE (Canadian Channel) has aired all of them in order and it makes a difference. It's much better. Vison TV also did the same thing with Wonderfalls.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2005 9:23 am
of Vinyamar

I'm 10 episodes into Firefly now and loving it. Every show has a standout episode. Buffy had "Hush", TNG had "Best of Both Worlds" and "Family", Farscape had "Icarus Abides" and B5 had "War Without End".

"Out of Gas" is only 10 eps into a brand new series and already shows the quality that makes good shows great. I'm looking forward to the last 4 eps but devastated that there's no more.

Roll on Serenity.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 20 May , 2005 11:15 am
Takoyaki is love

Did you hearabout the controversy of the pilot episode> Fox did not like the original one, so The Train job became the new pilot episode (I think it's the train job). Out of Gas uses some of the the footage of the original pilot.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
notlistening
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 May , 2005 5:57 am

Yes I heard that was why they aired the pilot later in the series to air. I am very glad I got to see it in the correct order on the dvd.

Alatar, you will enjoy the final 4 eps. I like "Objects in Space" It's a great episode. Sorry to say it's the last, though they shot the last scenes of the actual show in "The Message".

Looking forward to Serenity with eagerness! Hopefully all will be tied up or even better, have the series re-instated!

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 May , 2005 7:02 pm
Takoyaki is love

I have hear d if this one goes well ther will be at least 2 more movies. Many people in the SciFi biz are watching to see how well this movie does. The success of this movie could determine the possibility of a Farscape movie.

They have had advance screenings in the US in 30 cities and they have all sold out in about a day or less.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
notlistening
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 2:11 am

Quote:
They have had advance screenings in the US in 30 cities and they have all sold out in about a day or less.
I live in the wrong country for movie screenings. Australia isn't getting Serenity until November. :bawl:

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 6:23 pm
Takoyaki is love

Me lives in Canada. We are desperately begging for a Toronto screening.

Notlistening, try signing up for www.Serenitymovie.com. I know there is a group of Australian Firefly fans and through that site you get announcements of screenings and other news.

I have also heard there are comics which bridge the gap between the TV series and the movie.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 May , 2005 7:02 pm
of Vinyamar

Here's some info on that Comic from SciFi Weekly
Quote:
Serenity Comic Bridges Gap
Joss Whedon—creator of TV's SF series Firefly and its upcoming movie, Serenity—told SCI FI Wire that he has penned a prequel comic series, based in part on an animated project that never got off the ground. The three-issue Dark Horse Serenity miniseries hits comic shops on July 6.

"We had talked about doing an animated Serenity prequel, because Universal was into that," Whedon said in an interview. "Brett Matthews [Whedon's comic co-writer] and I worked on a story, and then Universal decided not to go ahead with the project. We thought, 'Well, we have exactly the story we want to tell, and it's almost like a prequel to the Serenity movie.' And so we said, 'Comics might be the place to tell this story.'"

The Serenity comics tell the story of a heist gone wrong and old enemies out for revenge. Along the way Capt. Malcolm Reynolds (played in the film by Nathan Fillion) finds himself the target of a conspiracy between government and mercenary forces, and Reynolds' ragtag crew must try to unite behind their compromised leader. The comics will feature art by Will Conrad and Laura Martin. Each issue will also feature three different covers by such top artists as John Cassaday, J.G. Jones, Bryan Hitch, Joe Quesada, Josh Middleton and Jo Chen.

Whedon said that it was a challenge to bring the Firefly/Serenity universe to the printed page. "You want everybody who has never seen the show to be able to enter this universe and get these characters," Whedon said. "But the big challenge was to find a compelling reason to put this between covers. We wanted to tell an adventure about these people that doesn't just say, 'They did this, and then they shot at these guys.' We needed a story that would let you know something about these characters that you might not already know."

Whedon added that there might be a future for Serenity comics, whether or not the upcoming movie does well. "It all depends," Whedon said. "The comic is kind of a bridge between the TV show and the movie. For the truly faithful, this comic will take them from one place to the other. Hopefully it will be fun for those who never got into the TV show and don't know much about the movie. If the film does well, then there might be interest in more comics. If the movie doesn't do so well, and the comic is a big hit, that might be the place where the Serenity story will be told from now on." The big-screen Serenity, which Whedon wrote and directed, hits theaters on Sept. 30. Universal Pictures, which is releasing Serenity, is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
notlistening
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 1:40 am

Thanks Wilma!

:hug: for ALatar!

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 30 May , 2005 8:39 am
of Vinyamar

Well, I finished watching Firefly. Damn that's one fine show! Well developed characters who are likeable even with their faults. Intelligent drama, not dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.

George Lucas should have looked around at the playing field before foisting his underdeveloped, characterless dreck on the unsuspecting public. I have to admit, the fact that I was in the middle of watching Firefly probably highlighted all of RotS's failings by contrast.

I just hope Serenity gets the audience it deserves. But then it doesn't have 30 years of advertising to fall back on.

Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 3:02 pm
Takoyaki is love

I also have learned that one of the Jewel Staite has a blog(?). If I can find the link do you want me to post it? 2 of the actors are Canadian (Jewel Staite, and Nathan Fillion). Jewel even went to a fan meetup in Vancouver!! Nathan is also a Farscape fan *evil laughter*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Jun , 2005 3:54 pm
of Vinyamar

Thanks Wilma, sounds interesting!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 1:05 pm
Takoyaki is love

I got this link from the mebers of the Canadian Browncoats yahoo group.

http://users.ev1.net/~alternity/abadeo/ ... Jewel.html

The yahoo group I am with, the Listmum is in contact with Universal. I find the approach very interesting. A huge company working with the fans.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 1:16 pm
of Vinyamar

Thanks Wilma, that's really cool. I'm becoming a huge fan....

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 02 Jun , 2005 3:15 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Don't know Firefly, don't know Serenity.

Just watched the trailer.

*DAMN* that looks like fun.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 12:01 am
Takoyaki is love

Firefly (13 episodes) is available on DVD. Kinda lays the ground work. Since I saw the series I was pretty surprised by a couple of things I saw. The series was heading in the same direction, but they hadn't gone to the big reveal, which was basically given away in the trailer.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
notlistening
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 03 Jun , 2005 2:32 am

I think you'd like it Lidless. The humour would appeal to you.
Quote:
Jayne: Anybody remember her comin' at me with a butcher's knife?
Wash: Wacky fun.
Jayne: You wanna go, little man?
Wash: Only if it's someplace with candlelight.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 8  [ 152 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
Jump to: