The Last Homely Site on the Web

Firefly and Serenity

Post Reply   Page 8 of 8  [ 152 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8
Wilma
Post subject: Re: Firefly and Serenity
Posted: Wed 04 Mar , 2009 5:54 am
Takoyaki is love

The thing is they killed it with pre-emping the show for The world series. I remember actually trying to watch it while it was on TV. I think it only came on twice or thrice when it was actually supposed to. Every other time suddenly baseball was on, so every time tuning in at 9 on Friday (which is a crap time slot anyway, keep in mind Dollhouse is there now) and then constantly getting disappointed realizing the show that is supossed to be on, that was advertised, is not on. :rage: I think that and the time slot is what hurt the show and that is purely Fox's fault.
Also maybe advertising hurt it too. I mean how many people actually saw the show when it was on TV? That is what TV stations depend on. It's not about who buys the DVDs or the merchandise later, it's eyeballs watching the show when its on at the time (or now the DVR thank God). I learned that with all the Farscape research. That is ultimately what it comes down to. Also write a letter to say you watch the show on the TV (which means you watch the ads which means money for the station) It really is that important.

Who knew about the show when it first aired on TV? A lot of people on this board seem to like the show, but did Fox's ads reach you? Or did you find out about the show after it was canceled? That is a very important distinction.

Shows getting picked up by other stations is difficult thing for an ordinary TV show, but for a sciFi show, it's really difficult since many SciFi shows cost more to make, it really has to prove itself over years before another station would pick it up. Notice Stargate got picked up? It proved itself over 5 years I think on another station. No way is another station gonna pick up a new show if the former station cancels it after 5 eps (like Firefly). Money wise it's just not a smart thing and TV stations are primarily out o make money for their share holders, not delivering quality TV.

So if you like a new show on TV, the best thing you can do is watch on TV and then make your friends watch it on TV, or DVR it, email or write the stations telling then you watch the show. And you buy the advertised products. (Or if you download it say you go over to a friends house and watch the show,and promise you will buy the DVDs when it comes out (especially true for anime).)

Also give props to TV stations that try. ABC recently cancelled their 3 most expensive shows, which were Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone and Dirty Sexy Money. These were also their most creative and innovative shows, they all had at least a season and a half on ABC with regular reliable broadcasting. ABC only cancelled these shows after the global economic downturn. I have an odd feeling if any other TV station had these shows they would not have gotten past their first 5 eps let alone a whole season. ABC really wanted to try and support creative television, and if they still had the money I am sure those shows would still be on. (I am not a huge fan of all those 3 shows, but each of them were creative and risky. Pushing Daisies I think everyone knows :bawl: , Eli Stone had crazy musical fantasy sequences, and Dirty Sexy money had a regular(ly paid) main cast of about 15 people, and usually quite a few guesties and extras each ep. That is a lot of money!!). Creative and risky does not equal viewers on television. Also if the station screws up like Fox did with Firefly they will never realize/admit it/try to fix it, so don't ever count on that.

I think only recently has the Television industry become hip to the vibe of the internet, if a TV station streams the show, watch it through their website and not youtube. Basically find ways to watch the show that the TV stations paying for its creation can track. Or if not tell them.

Sorry about my long post. I did not intend for it to be this long, but when people ask questions as to why a show was cancelled, I know why since I have done so much research with the cancellation of Farscape, Firefly and Wonderfalls, and even stuff i learned about the anime industry which is a bit different but relatable. (Farscape was especially effective since there were fans in the TV industry giving us advice as to what really happens.)

Remember (I say this to anime fans alot since they are epic downloaders, I am sure you guys all know this since you guys are smart), TV is not free. It is paid for by Ads. If no one watches the ads and buy the products, there is no money to pay for the show!!

(Yep that right, buying Charmin toilet paper can save your show.)

Once the show is securely on TV (at least in North America), DVDs and merch are all good, but considered more of an extra (at least In North America).

Eyeballs on the ads is the make or break for TV show.
All right I am done

EDIT: D'oh, I forgot to say if you are into Whedon shows please watch Dollhouse Fridays at 9, or DVR it. Do not wait for it to come to DVD.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 04 Mar , 2009 6:19 am
Takoyaki is love

OK, I just thought I would add another point, the last couple posts people say they saw Serenity and went back and bought the TV series. Seeing the movie did not benefit Fox in the slightest so they would not care if seeing the movie is what got you in the show. The ultimate question for them is: Did you watch it when they were airing it? If not you have basically answered why Fox cancelled the show. It's hard to hear but that is the truth. I heard Firefly did well on the DVR and that did say something, but Fox is never going to admit they screwed up. I think the DVR stats and Whedon's name helped get the movie made.

The television industry really is using an old business model but I see they are trying to create a new one. But if you want your show to survive you have to work within the model they have.

(I am using 'you' in the general sense.)

I am sorry if I seem harsh but that is how the industry looks at things. I still remember when industry insiders gave advice/input for Farscape stragizing and people hated them for it, but everyone did see eventually that they were right.

Very rarely is a show canceled because an station insider does not like it, it wouldn't have gotten greenlit in the first place. When a station starts a new scripted show, the shell out a ton of money because they feel the show will be worth it and they will receive a return on their investment. When it looks like in the early stages they won't receive that return they cut their losses.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Thu 05 Mar , 2009 7:28 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Erunáme wrote:
I'm about halfway through the show. I'm watching online which takes time on this computer as the episodes can take a while to load up on whatever site's player I'm using. It's really poor quality as well so I'm missing out on a lot I'm sure.
I'm sure we can arrange something this weekend.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Thu 05 Mar , 2009 7:44 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Wilma wrote:
Remember (I say this to anime fans alot since they are epic downloaders, I am sure you guys all know this since you guys are smart), TV is not free. It is paid for by Ads. If no one watches the ads and buy the products, there is no money to pay for the show!!

(Yep that right, buying Charmin toilet paper can save your show.)

Once the show is securely on TV (at least in North America), DVDs and merch are all good, but considered more of an extra (at least In North America).

Eyeballs on the ads is the make or break for TV show.
That's all nice and good if you're in North America. I never had any need to download a TV show off torrents or watch one through Toudou, etc until I moved to Europe because I could watch anything I missed through the TV networks' online players, ads and all.

Of course any show I've been watching online/downloading now is one that is already gone (Firefly, SG-1, Babylon5.)

Steve: I should get you and Estel hooked on Battlestar Galatica! :banana:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Thu 05 Mar , 2009 3:14 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Enchie said that as well, Eru :Q :) :suspicious: :P :love:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Thu 05 Mar , 2009 4:49 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

It's the best frakkin' SciFi show I've watched. Firefly was good but BSG totally pwns it. I'll bring over the miniseries and season 1 and we'll see if we can get through any of it. :D

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Fri 06 Mar , 2009 2:26 pm
You are hearing me talk

There are so many different BSG incarnations--which is the good one if you're a complete n00b?

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 06 Mar , 2009 2:51 pm
of Vinyamar

Ignore the original BattleStar Galactica and the appalling Galactica 1980.

Start with the 2003 Mini Series and work from there.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 9:33 am

I'm old. I remember the pilot for the 1980 original series when it was first aired.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 10:11 am
of Vinyamar

You're older than you think so! It aired in '78 and '79! ;)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 3:06 pm

Err...oops. I'm getting old. I sometimes forget which year my birthday is supposed to be on.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 24 Feb , 2011 7:49 pm

http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/

http://www.facebook.com/#!/HelpNathanBuyFF
Quote:
Help Nathan Buy Firefly
On Feb 17, 2011, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Nathan Fillion said: “If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet.”

The Plan:

Phase 1) Generate momentum. We’re going to setup a way people can pledge funding towards the mission of putting the rights to Firefly back into the hands of people who care about it. Since Nathan said he’d be game to be those hands, we’re going to watch for …

Phase 2) Nathan chimes in towards us and approves the effort. At that point, it’s a real mission and we’ll switch into…

Phase 3) We’ll setup a way for the funding to be collected into a Non-Profit Organization. We’ll then want everyone to make good on their pledge and contribute.

Throughout all of this, we’ll have up the running tally of pledges and actuals.

How Can You Help?

Like and Share our Facebook page. We’ll get a Twitter setup today as well. Tweet about this page via #HNBF #Firefly! Here’s a short URL for that purpose: http://dft.ba/-firefly

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 8 of 8  [ 152 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 8
Jump to: