board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Ong-Bak, Thai Warrior (no wires!)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Ong-Bak, Thai Warrior (no wires!)
Posted: Mon 21 Feb , 2011 7:35 pm

I really liked this film because it's a martial arts film billed as using no wire harnesses , no stunt men and no CGI.... and yet the main character moves as if he has all these aids. Spinning in the air kicks where the first foot is a feint and the second trailing foot delivers the blow. Diving through impossibly small targets. Multiple huge leaps across impressive spans.

In a normal martial arts film, you wouldn't think twice about stuff like this, but here? It's really done with real humans. You see so much really silly stuff using wire harnesses, that I often forgot to appreciate the difference with this film. This high leap really was a LEAP. This fall from 15 feet up actually was a fall like that. (granted, onto visibly soft ground---but still!)

And better than the amazing stunts was just watching how the main character moves in a fight. He's totally within himself. I don't know how to explain it. Totally balanced- every movement sure, decisive and perfect. You often see actors pretending to do martial arts- this guy understands it in his bones.

I'm looking forward to getting the sequels. :)

Profile Quote
ninanina
Post subject: Re: Ong-Bak, Thai Warrior (no wires!)
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2011 3:51 pm

Netflix lists 9 films for Tona Jaa. Including Ong Bak 2 and Ong Bak 3. Get your popcorn ready!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Ong-Bak, Thai Warrior (no wires!)
Posted: Tue 22 Feb , 2011 4:39 pm

I was disapointed to see on a Tony Jaa facebook page that his film career was over and he was now a Buddhist monk.

However, when I read his wikipedia page, it says as of 2011 he is no longer a Buddhist monk.

So, there's hope for more films! :D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment”
Jump to: