board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Shore's Return of the King: November 6th!

Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 179 posts ]
Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 09 Feb , 2007 3:55 am
A maiden young and sad

Bride would kill me, thus eliminating the ability to listen to soundtrack.

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 15 Feb , 2007 5:14 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Doug Adams:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all who showed concern for the crazy weather certain parts of the country have been socked with. Shore is actually out of the country right now, and as far as I know, his NY staff is all safe and sound. Chicago hasn’t seen nearly the snow NY has, but we’ve been in a deep freeze. I’ve been riding the thermostat a bit, but no huge concerns.

>>>Suggestion: don't be afraid to put in numerous and frequent time stamps!>>>

Time stamps are a tricky affair, since you can’t automatically assume that the book readers actually own the CD boxed sets. Of course, they likely will in most instances, but still... Anyway, I think we’ve come up with a very good, interactive solution… you’ll see.

>>>And maybe you remember my hint that you might want to have bits for the more musically technical among us set off from the main text so those who don't want or need that can still get a through composition, as it were.>>>

I’m trying to avoid an abundance of off-set sections of text in the layout, only because I don’t want the book to read like stereo instructions. But the gist of this idea will still be addressed. Again, you’ll see in time.

>>>Now there we go... Why not take a particularly interesting (and intricate) exemplary passage and give us the nuts and bolts of how it went from multiple tracks of each instrument to a final mix and edit and then how you worked out your elucidations... Where does M. Shore do it, at home, at a studio, whose-all input is considered? If more than one pair of ears, are there any moments of gentlemenly sotto voce disagreement and how are they resolved... You know, the usual impertent interviewer type questions digging for drama and newsworthiness (read: conflict!! both interpersonal and within M. Shore's mind)...>>>

Jim Breuning (who you see credited with Material Preparation in the boxed set credits) oversees most of the nuts and bolts of the editing on the sets… and as each draft is completed, discs and spreadsheets are distributed to Howard, project supervisor Alan Frey, me… and probably a few others. Notes are made, Howard looks through everything, decides what, if anything, should actually be changed, and another draft is assembled by Jim. This process is repeated until a final draft is achieved. I think I may have described it before as the rock tumbler technique, and that’s really what it is. Each subsequent draft brings the piece closer to a final, polished work.

There aren’t disagreements per se, because we’re all pretty much shooting ideas to Shore. He’s the mastermind—considering and assembling all possible suggestions. This is his music and his vision, and it’s incredibly important that he stay at the helm. But he’s wonderfully open to suggestions and keeps the environment such that you never feel intrusive making them. It’s a wonderful creative / business model, really.

>>>So, you're saying that ROTK will still feature the complete, unedited recordings (and by that I mean the pure compositions), and currently you're about to mix them?>>>

ROTK will be assembled exactly as have FOTR and TTT. No deviation from the norm. I think we were all rather pleased with the way those came out, if I do say so.

>>>Also, for *my* snare drum question - I know, we German all look/sound/post alike... I've been trying to break down the pattern of what it's playing, especially during the first 30 seconds, but there are so many eighth and sixteenth rests in there that I'm screwed.>>>

I’ll write it out for you sometime, if I remember. Don’t be afraid to bother me!

>>>This is, I think, one of my true wishes...have the complete score in front of me while listening to the CRs...

>>>Now that would be heavenly. Unfathomably so.>>>

It is an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon, I assure you!

>>>It's a wish that will never, ever, come true...I can't imagine the full scores ever being made available in any way.>>>

It’s actually not impossible, believe it or not. I’m not dropping hints at this point, but it’s not an absolute impossibility.

>>>I'm not sure if this has been mentioned/asked, but is there the possibility of having Howard or you, Doug, introduce/explain tracks or connected sets of tracks on any bonus disc(s)? Since I imagine there will be many places where the music will not flow particularly well, I think it would be cool to hear Howard or you discuss a cue--what's different about it, why it wasn't used, etc before it plays. Or maybe this could be a DVD-audio option: listen with pre-track audio commentary by Doug or Howard.>>>

You are decidedly on the right track here!

>>>The biggest obstacles would be whether an orchestral score of the Complete Recordings even exists (it may just consists of a very large stack of left-over sketches from the original recording sessions which would have to be edited themselves). And also, even if such a finished score exists, the process of scanning it into digital form would be quite a costly labor.>>>

As pointed out above, this in particular, is not an obstacle at all. The scores are being engraved for archival purposes even now. Fellowship is already done, in fact.

>>>Hmmm...I'm not sure I understand. What I was referring to was, for example, Dwarvish Interlude, and probably more music like that. Now that you mention "written but not recorded" and "written but not set to the film", I'm not sure what category this belongs to. But I hope you understand what I'm talking about.>>>

Well if a piece was written—or sketched—but never recorded, it’s highly unlikely that it’ll be recorded at this point, simply because of the money involved. That said, there’s pretty much nothing that falls into this category. Everything that was written into a finished form was recorded. Dwarvish Interlude, for example, was never set to music, so there’s nothing to hear.

>>>* One of the things I went ga-ga over abou these two sets has been the Advanced Resolution tracks. There is no comparison when it comes to such moments as "The Wolves of Isengard" or the Helm's Deep sequence. I was wondering if there was ever any talk about releasing the original albums, which are, as acknowledged, a very different listening experiences from the CRs, in that format as well.>>>

I’ve honestly never heard any talk about this, and though I imagine it’s not out of the question, I bet it would be a ways off only because of the PR nightmare it could potentially create. The boxed sets have already been met with a few cries of “Double Dipping,” despite the fact that they’re *fairly* unique from the original albums. You want to avoid the Star Wars-esque backlash for as long as you can, I think.

>>>* Would it be too much to hope that the prospective "rarities" disc might be doubled in DVD-Audio as well?>>>

Not too much to hope for at all… Mostly depends on storage capacity at this point.

>>>* You've discussed multimedia content as a supplement to your (eagerly awaited) book. Now there is a lot of speculation about what this might mean... would this possibly be taking the place of said "rarities" disc, or would it be in addition to it?>>>

I’m gonna give you a dodgy answer on this one and just say, don’t worry, you’ll get everything. I’ll explain when I can, I promise.

I will say this, I’m quite amazed and the accuracy of some of the guesswork I’ve seen around here lately.

>>>* I was just wondering if the choral piece from the very start of the "The Great River" (track 15, original FOTR soundtrack) will appear again? It's a great piece that I hope hasn't been forgotten about.>>>

Well, it’s not forgotten about in the sense that it’s on the OST. I don’t think it’s likely the rarities disc will contain material that was presented on the OST, but not in the CRs only because you’ve already got that material—unless there’s a significant reason for doing so. I don’t want you to pay for the same thing twice.

>>>* What is the instrument that sounds at 1:51 of "Weathertop" (disc 2, track 1, CR)? It is almost like a synthesised sound but I know that that Mr. Adams said there were none used in the scores. It sounds like a sword slicing through the air.>>>

The answer provided above is right on – it’s a bowed cymbal, a Howard Shore favorite (check out his work in Seven sometime).

>>>I was also reading an interview on AICN recently with the producers of the EE DVD's. They said that they hoped to do another EE release in the coming years and that they had something like 20-30 hours of documentary material that they hadn't released previously. I was wondering how much of that included footage of the recording sessions and if this will make it's way into the multimedia content in some form?>>>

There’s a little session footage that’s never been seen, and it may be able to escape the archives sometime soon. Possibly…

>>>Edit: And Doug, would Peter Jackson be making an appearance on the multimedia disc? I mean, I remember I'd read somewhere that he and Shore had spoken about someday releasing the music as a whole. It'd be cool to hear him speak about Shore's accomplishment I think they've both now worked 7-8 years on the Lord of the Rings. Pretty commendable. And haven't you been around LOTR some 6 years or so??>>>

Jackon’s involvement would probably depend on the logistics of his schedule and the production’s schedule. So it’s a definite “maybe.”

I got the LOTR call May 16, 2001, so nearly 6 years now. And yes, I remember the exact day, what can I say?

>>>Anyway, regarding possibilities for the 'rarities' content - the DVD-Audio edition of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours has commentary tracks for each song, similar to a director's feature commentary. This could be a useful feature that would avoid discussion over the music, but might preserve the surround experience for those so equipped...>>>

Commentaries are definitely on the table at this point. Even saying that, I’m saying too much, so I’ll say no more… for now.

>>>I came across this - http://www.moviemusic.com/mb/Forum1/HTML/013360.html - Doug, when you refer to the 150 pages, is that the book you are currently working on, and if so, do you know how many more pages it will be, as that post was back in 2004............... I'm very excited ........>>>

Thanks! Yes, this is the same Music of LOTR book that’s in the pipeline right now. 150 is still a good ballpark, but it probably looks to be a bit longer at this point… it all depends on the layout, fonts, etc.

>>>Also a question to Mr Adams to pass on to Mr Shore for a response...... - I listened to Mrs Doubtfire, and when it came to Track 10 - "The Show's Over", straight away at the start of the track, memories came to me of Alan Metter's 1988 film "Moving" - do you know if this will ever get a release??????>>>

There are a number of Shore’s scores that have never seen the light of day, but it’s always possible that something could be put together at some point!

Gee, I feel like I’ve regressed. By the end of TTT I felt I was finally able to give everyone specifics, but now at the early stages of ROTK and the book, I’m back to vague nothings! Sorry guys… you know the drill, I guess. There’s only so much I can talk about at this stage, but I promise I’ll keep you as well-informed as I can!

Best,

-Doug

ttbk

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 16 Feb , 2007 10:56 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Variety:
Quote:
"The Fly," the first opera from film composer Howard Shore, will receive its world premiere on July 1, 2008, in Paris followed by a U.S. premiere in Los Angeles on Sept. 7, 2008.

David Cronenberg will direct in his operatic debut; work is based on the helmer's film of the same name, along with the original 1957 George Langelaan short story. Playwright David Henry Hwang penned the libretto.

Opera reunites three of the principals involved in the 1986 movie -- Cronenberg, Shore and costume designer Denise Cronenberg, David's sister.

"It's a magical reliving of a part of my life, this time playing a completely different role in the creation of a very different animal," Cronenberg said.

Placido Domingo, who holds the title of Broad general director of Los Angeles Opera, and Jean-Luc Choplin, general manager of Paris' Theatre du Chatelet, will make the announcement today in Paris.

Scheduling issues prevented "The Fly" from inclusion in L.A. Opera's 2007-08 season, for which it had been slated. It was commissioned in 2004.

"It has long been my dream to unite the worlds of film with those of opera, especially in Los Angeles," Domingo said in a statement prior to the news conference.

"The Fly" will be an "unprecedented addition to the operatic repertoire. Any commission of an opera is a gamble, as has been proven throughout music history," Domingo added. "There is no scientific formula for commissioning, only one's instinct when one listens to a composer's already existing works."

L.A. Opera has worked with a slew of film directors, among them William Friedkin, Julie Taymor, Maximilian Schell, Bruce Beresford, Herbert Ross, John Schlesinger, Marthe Keller, Garry Marshall and Franco Zeffirelli. Company has been involved in commissions that bring together film directors and composers, including Elliot Goldenthal and Taymor on "Grendel" and Zhang Yimou and Tan Dun on "The First Emperor," which is slated for 2010.

At an L.A. Opera press conference last month, Domingo mentioned that composer Daniel Catan had begun work on an opera version of "Il Postino."

As for "The Fly," the work "exemplifies the artistic policy of Theatre du Chatelet, a policy intent on discovering new art forms and reaching out to new arts enthusiasts, and yet resolutely part of the current world," Choplin said. "It is also a grand story of collaboration between Paris and Los Angeles, two leading cities for cinema."
I'd love to see this. Or, at least hear it.

ttbk

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 12 Mar , 2007 1:23 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

From TORn:
Quote:
Doug Adams, well known musician and writer who worked closely with Howard Shore on the musical score for The Lord of the Rings, gave a brilliant talk on the musical themes of The Lord of the Rings, specifically the four themes associated with the ring and how they are woven together throughout the three films. He confirmed that the final boxed set CD, with the music from The Return of the King, will be issued in 2007 on a four-disc set. Doug is also completing the book, The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films, which will be the definitive and official guide to Howard Shore's 12-hour musical score. The book will be out around the end of the year and may be accompanied by multimedia material demonstrating the music. A CD version of The Lord of the Rings symphony is also under discussion.

Doug demonstrated the musical themes he discussed so audience members could hear and understand more about how the themes relate both to the action and mood of the specific scenes in the films where they appear and to other themes associated with that character or kingdom. On Saturday, in the second part of his talk, he will play some surprise elements most fans have not heard before. I’ll cover his talks in more detail in tomorrow’s report.

The show opened on a bright note, courtesy of Doug Adams who has been working with Howard Shore on bringing the Complete Soundtrack Recordings to life, and will soon be publishing a book about the entire process. He's been using a keyboard to demonstrate key musical motifs and how they are related to each other and to the various characters and lands of Middle earth. For his Saturday panel he promises some real surprises regarding information about the Return of the King Complete Soundtrack boxset. BTW, he did announce that this boxset will be 4 CDs so they can fit everything on there they want to release.

There were a few other announcements, but I'll leave that for other reviewers and official announcements (like, for instance, a release of a live symphony performance)

-Doug Adams continues his discussion of the themes of Howard Shore’s music for The Lord of the Rings. Look for the 4CD set, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings, around November, followed soon after by Doug’s book, The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films.
ETA:
Doug Adams
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Jetlag reigns supreme right now, so I’m going to do some quick and dirty rumor control.

Re: November: Hearsay, rumors and speculation, I’m afraid. The question posed this weekend was will ROTK be out in November, answer was “Possibly, but nothing is set. Could be any time this year as of now.” Easy to see how that was misconstrued, but just to be clear, no release date or timeframe is yet set.

Re: Symphony CD: Nothing to elaborate on. It is a possibility, just as it’s always been. Would happen after ROTK and the book most likely, so there’s been no significant motion yet.

Re: 12 Hours: Including unused music, alternates, first drafts, etc. you get a figure close to this number. Just a ballpark. Nothing hidden, no secrets.

I’m grinding my gears on about 2 hours of sleep right now, but I’ll be back when time permits. Would love to speak in Europe someday, and if anyone ever organizes it, you can bet I’ll be there!

More later, friends.

-Doug

ttbk

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 30 Mar , 2007 3:15 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

A report from Sabsi about a Howard Shore concert a couple weeks ago:
Quote:
As you probably know, there were two concerts in Switzerland, called 'Music of Howard Shore'. Both featured the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ludwig Wicki.

The first concert scheduled was in Lucerne on March 16, 2007 at 7:30pm - and I was there!!

First, there was a Q & A with Howard Shore.
The most important things: He plays 6 different instruments (trumpet, saxophone, piano, clarinet, flute and cello), wants to release his version of the King Kong-Soundtrack and would like to return to Middle earth and collaborate with PJ again for The Hobbit!

Then he signed autographs (here is a picture of him) - I even got the chance to take a picture with him and to ask him, what he thinks about it, that his music was used on "The Simpsons" and how that happened. He answered: 'They asked me, an I said yes [of course, what else - what was I thinking ]. I think it's an honor to be in the Simpsons, isn't it?'

Then the concert began. It featured his music from 'The Fly', 'Dead Ringers', 'Naked Lunch', 'M. Butterfly', 'Mrs. Doubtfire', 'Prelude to A Kiss', 'Nobody's Fool', 'Big', 'Silence of the Lambs', 'Se7en' and 'The Aviator'.

After ‘The Aviator’, there was much applause and Ludwig Wicki called him on the stage - which caused even more applause...

Ludwig Wicki left the stage and Howard Shore CONDUCTED the 'Symphonic Suite of The Fellowship of the Ring' HIMSELF!
I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this..
I mean, the LotR-Soundtrack, conducted by Howard Shore himself! How cool is that?

The 'Symphonic Suite of FotR' featured the Fellowship-Theme (the one you can hear after Gandalf's 'to the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm') and 'The Breaking of the Fellowship'. The boy, who was singing 'In Dreams' was very nervous (who wouldn't?) and a bit out of tune, but Howard smiled at him, making him more comfortable, and even sang along!

When he finished, the hall exploded. Everybody was on his/her feet and he was moved to tears (so was I - I was sitting in the 5th row, so I could see him pretty good - here is a picture of him on the stage).
He had to come back on the stage again for several times because the applause wouldn't stop.

If you ever get the chance to meet him: take it!

He is so sweet, down-to-earth and patient (he signed everything he was asked to and even when my friend needed a hundred years to take that picture - she pressed the power-button instead of the shutter and my camera takes a VERY long time to get ready again - he just stood next to me, talked to me and smiled into the camera)! *sigh* :)
An interview that I'll just link to, where, again, Kong is mentioned...

Doug Adams:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I’ve got a handful of emails from the good populace of this board that I promise I’ll return this weekend. Draft two of the ROTK liners go in next week, though draft three will likely be close on its heels. As for the discs themselves, unused music is currently being tracked down and reinserted into the appropriate spots. Most of this is done, actually, but there still are a few pieces to be dealt with.

As for Michael’s comment re: the yet-to-materialized book, the plan has always been to get the book out after the boxed sets, so as not to abuse the pocketbooks of the core audience members. As the single all-encompassing boxed set became three film-specific boxed sets, the timeline expanded. I suppose under a different model, you wouldn’t yet know that the book was even coming, but there’s an openness and trust long associated with this production, and we’ve followed that lead as much as possible because it creates a pretty pleasant atmosphere. I hope that being privy to the process doesn’t simply engender impatience, though I can absolutely understand the tendency. I do promise we’re all hard at work--much to the lament of our social lives!

-Doug

PS – So HS is talking about Kong, eh? There’s some staggeringly beautiful and heartfelt writing in there.
For Kong to be released there are certain rights issues that would need to be addressed; namely, the music probably belongs to the studio, not to Shore himself.....

I don't think he'd be starting to talk about it now if there wasn't a strong possibility that it will happen... :)

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray: :pray:

ttbk

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Apr , 2007 4:55 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Doug Adams:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Only a few questions, so only a few answers!

>>>Doug, are those two sections of music going to be pieced together, or is the later going to be a short track following the Beacon track?????>>>

The track breaks are currently being discussed, as are track titles, so comments are a bit premature. The two sections were recorded separately, however, just fyi. Also remember, a track break does not necessarily indicate any specific length of silence between the compositions -- that’s adjustable. I can at least tell you that the two compositions will not be crossafaded. There will be a pause, or a break between the two… just as you’re used to hearing from the film.

>>>Here's a question for Doug, maybe you've answered it before. Will the chronology of the ROTK CR follow the original cut that Shore scored (i.e. Gandalf arriving at Minas Tirith during the retreat from Osgiliath), will it follow that of the theatrical/extended editions, or will it be sort of a combination of the two?>>>

That’s an excellent question… so here’s an awful answer! I don’t know. No one knows. The decision has not yet been made. Currently, both versions of this music are being restored / remixed. Howard will make the final call as to which will be used… or both… or neither. Well ok, there obviously won’t be a situation where neither is used. There, at least I was able to include a little concrete information.

There is some music that is unique to the version of the chronology that has Gandalf arrive during the battle outside Osgiliath… if this music does not make the CR, you can count on hearing it eventually, I’m quite certain.

I’m still working through the next draft of the notes right now. Specifically, the included music examples have been in the spotlight lately. Track breakdowns and titles for the second and third discs have also been on the table. Marching forwards…

Best,

-Doug

ttbk

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 02 Jul , 2007 6:07 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Doug Adams wrote:
Hi everyone,

Boy, you guys are getting so good at covering the questions on your own, I’ve got little to offer other than updates. But worry not, there’s plenty to detail in that department.

Second things first, however… let me once again thank everyone who sent or posted well wishes regarding my recovery. Save for an occasional bit of soreness, I’m pretty much back to fighting shape!

And onwards…

>>>And for Doug, just a thought. Did you acknowledge sometime back and somewhere here that there would be a slipcase to kepp all the CRs in? If yes, and assuming it will be released alongwith ROTK:CR, and since the rarities will probably be released sometime later with your book, please please don't forget to leave space for the rarities box (if it is a box :P) or else it'll feel lonely up on the shelf

If such a case is in the works for the music recordings I wonder what the color will be and if its design will be a little more imaginative? Doug?>>>

The slipcase continues to dwell in the realm of distinct possibilities. Personally, I think it will happen. As for specific designs, however, nothing has been cooked up yet. This doesn’t constitute a lack of forward progress however, it’s just quite early on.

>>>See the question posted on this page: http://www.soundtrackinfo.com/ost.asp?soundtrack=5257>>>

Just FYI, we will finally tackle the Gandalf’s Farewell’s figure in the ROTK notes. Time to pay off the tease!

>>>In the MFTM LotR special issue, Howard Shore says he used all kinds of trumpets for the scores, C, Bb, F and Rotary Valve trumpets.
I've recently bought a book about orchestration, and it mentions that F trumpets are very rarely used nowadays (this book of course was released 80 years ago) because they are larger and have significantly less flexibility than modern trumpets, which aim for chromatic flexibility. But the book also mentions that it was a shame because those F trumpets have a strikingly brilliant and rousing character.

Now, my question is: are those the same trumpets Howard Shore used? If so, could you name us some specific cues where they can be heard?
Also, I know that he used Rotary Valve trumpets all throughout "The Destruction Of The Ring" and "The Destruction Of Mordor". He mentions they also have a very specific quality, they sound more ancient.>>>

F trumpets do indeed have a darker tone than C or Bb trumpets, and it’s that tone in specific that drew Shore to the sound. You can hear these trumpets in a good deal of the Gondor music. I’d have to double check, but I believe you’re hearing them in the Lighting of the Beacons sequence.

Thanks very much to Jaquandor for his detailed description of the instruments’ mechanics. It’s good to see you again, Jaq.

This one is ported over from email as I thought it may be of interest to all of you (though I don’t have much an answer to give, currently).

>>>Ok, Quick question, I read that "Houses of Healing" and "Arwen's Song" (performed by Sissel) would be on the CR of the ROTK. You stated that you would give more information later on the subject. On "Arwen's Song" is this supposed to be apart of the end credits of the soundtrack or will it be something mixed in with the movie portion of the soundtrack.>>>

Yes, the plan still calls for both Arwen’s Song and Sissel’s song to be included on this set. As for placement and / or editing, I’m afraid I still have no comment only because the decision hasn’t yet been made. There have been a couple of different edits offered up for perusal, and there are more to come. I have a pretty solid guess as to how this will end up being presented, but we’ll have to hold a bit before it becomes solid.

>>>I thought DR. SHORE remixed Clint Mansell's Requiem For A Dream, but now I've read on various sites (audible beauty, for instance): 'Requiem For A Tower - by The Ant Farm (or Simone Benyacar / Dan Nielsen / Veigar Mairgersson)'

As I understand it, the producers of the early Two Towers trailers sought out a group to remix this piece into an LotR-worthy epic style, and it definitely wasn't Howard Shore.>>>

The excellent and admirable board members have already answered this, but I should also like to note that Shore DID score the ROTK trailer. I recently ran across the discs from these recording sessions… which leads me to the “updates” section!

I just got back from NY yesterday afternoon from a genuinely amazing trip to Shore’s offices. He and I took a good four to five hours and ran through the entire current edit for ROTK in the listening room. It is shaping up amazingly. There’s still one last bit of unused music waiting to be tracked down, but decisions are now being made about specific track breakdowns, etc. It’s really close now, and it’s ridiculously affecting and beautiful.

The rest of my time was dedicated to sorting through the unused music archives. This is a genuinely massive task. There are thousands of CDs worth of material… and about 3 months worth of continuous audio. Everything recorded was saved for all three films. The tough part is sorting through what exactly is in there in order to decide what is interesting. You don’t want to hear 13 takes of a Bag End cue where the third oboe missed a note (no, there’s no third oboe, I’m just for-instance-ing ), but you do want to hear the original version of the prologue that included the… well, I can’t say right now, but I will say that my heart skipped a beat when I found this!

If you will, remember that the LOTR scores were being composed concurrently with the film’s editing. This is why so many sessions were scheduled. Shore would often have to tweak or completely rewrite compositions as the film changed. This means there are alternate versions of nearly everything! Now some of these alternates have nothing more than one crescendo changed, which is interesting as a curiosity, but not really worthy of disc space. But there are some revelatory differences in the alternates as well; radically different approaches to mood, orchestration and thematic structure. In some cases there are entirely different compositions that matched different edits of the films.

If you get to the end of ROTK:CR and think you’ve heard all the LOTR music there is to be heard, think again!

>>>Gotta question for ya: will the music for the bonus disc be on just one disc or is it possible that it will be on more than one disc? I know...I'm greedy and lustful for LotR music!>>>

And this is now the big question! There is SO much material that I’m just trying to figure out how best to present it. This past weekend I felt like I heard LOTR 4… or maybe 4 and 5. I’m quite certain you will all feel the same elation… but I really need to sit down and figure out exactly how much disc space will be required to showcase everything that should be showcased. That’s the other trick, I’m still not done digging through the archives!

So this is an on-going thing. It may take a little bit, but I will certainly keep you updated. I know this comes of as yet another tease, but I thought you may be interested in these current events. And really, I just wanted to share my glee from this past weekend. Despite the fact that I can’t go into details, some of these discoveries made my heart pound. I can’t wait to share them with you.

As always, stay tuned!

-Doug

ttbk

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 14 Aug , 2007 2:03 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Jim Ware has posted several clips of unused music from TTT and FOTR matched to the film on Youtube.

TTT

FOTR

More TTT

More TTT

Youtube takes forever to load with my connection speed, but what I've seen so far has been quite well done....

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Aug , 2007 10:59 am
Seeking Wimbledon

Doug Adams wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hey, you didn’t think I’d let the threat slip off the page, did you?

Why the lack of updates recently? Simple… this is the part of the project where the planning and drafts begin to be converted to the first mock-ups. Concept is heading to the physical world… and so for the conceptual people, this is the hurry up and wait period. Though, to be honest, the waiting isn’t going to last much longer.

The liners, which, as you’ll remember, went in to Warners a few weeks back, are due back any day now. The track titles and layouts are all essentially done, though there was a little bit or tweaking as recently as last week.

As of right now, the average number of tracks per disc is 13.5 Yes I know, that’s a ridiculously hazy figure (and the .5 isn’t helping anything!), but I figured maybe it could lead to some fun guessing games! I’ll give you this much of a hint… one disc will feature fewer tracks than the others, though not less music.

Oh, and after a brief perusal of the track titles guesses… I don’t think anyone has nailed one yet, but several have come close.

So that’s the boxed set. The next major deadline is Sept. 7, when the final booklet (including layout edits) is due back at Warners.

We also did another big meeting on the book this past week. Discussions are getting much more specific – what should the physical style be like, how many discs of multimedia material can we include, what’s a good release date, when would advertising kick in. It’s funny, although this is really the culmination of the whole project it still feels like virgin territory. I mean, the boxed set production is somewhat down to a science now, but a book? That’s a horse of a different color!

Thankfully, we all seem to be on precisely the same page. We’re pushing the idea that this needs to be deluxe in every sense of the word. That it has to be treated like the culmination of a project the world has watched for the better part of a decade now. It has to be intrinsically artistic unto itself – and it has to bring that artistry to every aspect of the project: the “coffee table” aspect, the “textbook” aspect, the “multimedia” aspect; the “historical” aspect… everything. No one wants to see this done half heartedly. We want you to feel like the boxed sets have been building to this.

Tough gig, eh?

Oh, I’m just realizing that I never addressed the post-Cleveland concert questions either. Sadly, I didn’t run into any board members there, though a handful of people from the crowd came to say hi, which was nice.

So, do I ever get sick of the Lord of the Rings music? (And I’m assuming that we’re speaking figuratively since, in the literal world, I got back from the concert and ran a fever for about 10 days!) Of course the answer is no. Understand, LOTR is by no means the only music I listen to… nor should it be for anyone. In fact, I don’t know that anyone who listened to nothing but LOTR could ever fully grasp its significance. Shore’s LOTR music is a part of this world’s amazing musical culture. I think we can only really grasp its beauty when we nestle is side-by-side with Sibelius, or the folk music traditions of Morocco, or observe how pan-diatonic clusters began in early American experimentalists, like Ives, or how the spindly chromatic layering of Hindemith informed Shore’s own sense of counterpoint, or study historical precedents for folk / art music cross-bleeding.

Shore’s music for LOTR is such a gem because it can hold its head high in the pantheon of great world art. But once you’re in that pantheon, poke around! It’s like going to the Louvre and spending every minute in front of Virgin on the Rocks. Yes, it’s amazing, but contextualize it! Look around!

Really, I’m not preaching anything to you guys, since you already know this. But this is why I never get sick of Shore’s LOTR. I spent last week listening to Tan Dun, Michael Torke, Joan Tower, Michael Giacchino, John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Ralph Vaughan Williams, David Shire, John Adams, Mychael Danna, Shigeru Umebayashi, Elliot Goldenthal, Danny Elfman, Dominick Argento, Miles Davis, Max Roach (rest his soul), John Coltrane, Alexandre Desplat, Igor Stravinsky… oh yeah, and Howard Shore.

Some was for work, some for fun. But I loved it all, and didn’t get sick of a note of it.

Well… they do keep playing that Hinder tune Lips of an Angel at the gym… I got pretty sick of that about 45 seconds into the first listening, so yeah...

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone.

-Doug

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 04 Sep , 2007 2:11 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Doug Adams wrote:
]Hi everyone,

Bullet points!

--Packaging and liner notes mock-ups now back from Warner / Smog Design… oh, and front cover sticker, too! Looks beautiful. Now editing. You should be green with envy.
Which means that he just told us that the cover will be green, saving him from answering constant questions about it, which happened the last two years.
Quote:
--Track titles officially finalized.

--Don’t know when the press release will be, but I’ll again stress we’re currently on a timeline that looks a great deal like last year’s. Take that as you will, armchair detectives of the net.
So....a press release within a couple weeks...and the actual release around late October/early November.
Quote:
--Book / rarities discs on target for 2008… as of right now. I’d be surprised to see that change. Just pointing this out for those of you budgeting… ROTK will be released by itself this year. Hope this helps you plan accordingly. I don’t know the price tag, and I likely won’t until you do. Maybe Santa can help you out with all the above.

More later, eyeball-deep in work! Enjoy your embedded hints. ;)

-Doug
Hopefully the book will be out before next fall...

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 10 Sep , 2007 12:52 am
Seeking Wimbledon

First:
Doug Adams wrote:
CAST PERFORMERS
Billy Boyd
Dominic Monaghan
Viggo Mortensen
Liv Tyler

-Doug

Next, a link to a video of the unused music in "A Storm is Coming" (written to play under Gollum murdering Deagol) synced to the film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ijX5vTk70

And discussion that followed:
Doug Adams wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if there's any unused music for the 'history of Gollum' sequence that follows this?
There is.

Back to Annotated Score now!

Ever so briefly,

-Doug
In the film that sequence, which is about three minutes long, uses a electronic drone similar -- though not quite as intense -- to the one used for the murder scene. I'm very intested to hear what Shore wrote for this scene; variations on the two Gollum themes, perhaps?

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Sep , 2007 11:48 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS

SET FOR RELEASE November 6, 2007 ON REPRISE/WMG SOUNDTRACKS

Available For The First Time!
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings

Howard Shore’s complete Oscar-winning score for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, from the epic film trilogy The Lord of the Rings, will be available in a deluxe five-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 6, 2007.

This historic release contains 3 hours and 50 minutes of music on four CDs, comprising the full score of the 2003 film. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King — The Complete Recordings marks the third and final edition of the three complete recording releases of the film trilogy whose score has been honored with three Academy Awards, four Grammy Awards and two Golden Globe Awards. This deluxe set includes exclusive new artwork, packaging, liner notes written by Doug Adams, author of the forthcoming book The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films and features Annie Lennox performing the Oscar-winning song “Into the West.”

Composed for symphony orchestra, adult and children's choir, and soloists, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King — The Complete Recordings was performed by London Philharmonic Orchestra, The London Voices, The London Oratory School Schola featuring vocal performances by Annie Lennox, Renée Fleming, Sissel, Ben Del Maestro and cast members Billy Boyd, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortenson, and Dominic Monaghan. The score also features solos performed by renowned flautist Sir James Galway.

The fifth disc is a DVD-Audio presenting the entire The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King — The Complete Recordings in Advanced Resolution Surround Sound, Advanced Resolution Stereo Sound, Dolby Digital Surround Sound, and Dolby Digital Stereo Sound.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – The Complete Recordings, was released on December 13, 2005 and spent months in Amazon.com’s top 100 Sales Ranking, and garnered some of the best reviews of the year. “For fans of any of The Lord of the Rings films, The Fellowship of the Ring/Complete Recordings is an essential experience,” Heather Phares, All Music Guide. “The Complete Recordings is last year’s most important archival soundtrack release, expanding and preserving one of the finest and most significant recent scores in all of film music. Shore’s Lord Of The Rings trilogy is an operatic symphony that is among the finest musical accomplishments of the last half-century. The plethora of unreleased material on this beautifully packaged edition is mouth-watering at the least, and the sonic dynamic achieved on the surround sound DVD of the entire 180-minute score is simply astonishing. ” Randall Larson, Music From the Movies.
:thewave:

:D

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Oct , 2007 1:23 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

It's available for preorder at the usual places (Amazon, B&N, etc.), for about $60. I haven't had time to check overseas prices...

Here's the tracklist:

From Amazon.de:

1. Roots And Beginnings
2. Journey To The Cross-roads
3. The Road To Isengard
4. The Foot Of Orthanc
5. Return To Edoras
6. The Chalice Passed
7. The Green Dragon [Featuring Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan]
8. Gollums Villainy
9. Éowyns Dream
10. The PalantÍr
11. Flight From Edoras
12. The Grace Of Undomiel [Featuring Renee Fleming
13. The Eyes Of The White Tower
14. A Coronal Of Silver And Gold
15. The Lighting Of The Beacons
16. Osgiliath Invaded [Featuring Ben Del Maestro]
17. The Stairs Of Cirith Ungol
18. Allegiance To Denethor
19. The Sacrifice Of Faramir [Featuring Billy Boyd]
20. The Parting Of Sam And Frodo
21. Marshalling At Dunharrow
22. AndÚril - Flame Of The West
23. The Passing Of The Grey Company
24. Dwimorberg - The Haunted Mountain
25. Master Meriadoc, Swordthain
26. The Paths Of The Dead
27. The Siege Of Gondor
28. Shelobs Lair
29. Merrys Simple Courage
30. Grond - The Hammer Of The Underwor
31. Shelob The Great
32. The Tomb Of The Stewards
33. The Battle Of The Pelennor Fields
34. The Pyre Of Denethor
35. The MÛmakil
36. Dernhelm In Battle
37. A Far Green Country
38. Shieldmaiden Of Rohan
39. The Passing Of Theoden
40. The Houses Of Healing [Featuring Liv Tyler]
41. The Tower Of Cirith Ungol
42. The Last Debate [Featuring Sissel]
43. The Land Of Shadow
44. The Mouth Of Sauron [Featuring Sir James galway]
45. For Frodo [Featuring Ben Del Maestro
46. Mount Doom [Featuring Renee Fleming
47. The Crack Of Doom
48. The Eagles [Featuring Ben Del Maestro]
49. The Fellowship Reunited [Featuring Renee Fleming and Viggo Mortensen]
50. The Journey To The Grey Havens [Featuring Sir James Galway]
51. Elanor [Featuring Sir James Galway]
52. Days Of The Ring [Featuring Annie Lennox]
53. Bilbos Song

:D

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 20 Oct , 2007 11:57 am
Seeking Wimbledon

The release has been delayed to November 13th:
Doug Adams wrote:
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates… I’ve been traveling a lot lately. And, in fact, I’m heading out again tonight, so I’ll have to be brief.

Yes, I can confirm the ROTK delay. It is not related to rescheduling, legal issues or anything of that sort. The delay pertains strictly to the creation of the physical product which, because of the additional CD and the double-sided DVD in this set, has become a bit more involved than in the past.

No cause for alarm, though I certainly understand your frustrations.

The Annotated Score is its final edits now… I hope it’ll answer your questions regarding unused material, etc. Oh, and FYI, the sequencing on the album represents the film’s structure at the time Shore scored it (save for Sissel’s piece). So when questions arise regarding “why is scene X before scene Y on this album…” it’s because that’s how the film was originally edited and that’s how it was scored.

Ok, I’m late! Gotta run! Yay, airports!

-Doug

PS – keep those questions coming in to the Podcast, they’ve been outstanding so far! I’d still love to hear from more of you… Magpie, I’m looking at you! We should be up and running around early November.

Here's the full tracklist, with running time:
Disc 1:
1. Roots and Beginnings 6:31
2. Journey to the Crossroads 2:17
3. The Road to Isengard 2:18
4. The Foot of Orthanc 4:45
5. Return to Edoras 1:51
6. The Chalice Passed 1:51
7. The Green Dragon (feat. Billy Boyd & Dominic Monaghan) 0:35
8. Gollum's Villainy 2:10
9. Éowyn's Dream 1:24
10. The Palantir 3:10
11. Flight from Edoras 2:18
12. The Grace of Undómiel (feat. Renée Fleming) 6:21
13. The Eyes of the White Tower 4:34
14. A Coronet of Silver 8:27
15. The Lighting of the Beacon 9:03
Disc Time: 57:35

Disc 2:
1. Osgilliath Invaded (feat. Ben Del Maestro) 8:47
2. The Stairs of Cirith Ungol 2:41
3. Allegiance to Denethor 3:20
4. The Sacrifice of Faramir (feat. Billy Boyd) 4:08
5. The Parting of Sam and Frodo 4:04
6. Marshalling at Dunharrow 4:57
7. Andúril - Flame of the West 3:28
8. The Passing of the Grey Company 4:12
9. Dwimorberg - The Haunted Mountain 2:26
10. Master Meriadoc, Swordthain 1:40
11. The Paths of the Dead 6:22
12. The Siege of Gondor 9:01
13. Shelob's Lair 8:53
14. Merry's Simple Courage 2:09
Disc Time: 66:08

Disc 3:
1. Grond - The Hammer of the Underworld 1:33
2. Shelob the Great 5:13
3. The Tomb of the Stewards 3:58
4. The Battle of the Pelennor Fields 4:10
5. The Pyre of Denethor 2:59
6. The Mûmakil 0:57
7. Dernhelm in Battle 2:06
8. "A Far Green Country" 1:28
9. Shieldmaiden of Rohan 5:07
10. The Passing of Théoden 2:16
11. The Houses of Healing (feat. Liv Tyler) 2:58
12. The Tower of Cirith Ungol 4:41
13. The Last Debate (feat. Sissel) 4:21
14. The Land of Shadow 6:30
15. The Mouth of Sauron 8:15
16. "For Frodo" 3:17
Disc Time: 59:49

Disc 4:
1. Mount Doom (feat. Renée Fleming) 4:09
2. The Crack of Doom 4:02
3. The Eagles (feat. Renée Fleming) 2:24
4. The Fellowship Reunited (feat. Sir James Galway & Viggo Mortensen) 12:18
5. The Journey to the Grey Havens (feat. Sir James Galway) 7:35
6. Elanor (feat. Sir James Galway) 1:28
7. Days of the Ring (feat. Annie Lennox) 11:10
8. Bilbo's Song 2:57
Disc Time: 46:03
Total Album Time: 229:35

Track samples

The statement of "Into the West" in A Far Green Country is longer than it is in the film.

I haven't noticed much other unused music....there's part of the contrapuntal statement of all three Ring themes in "Mount Doom" though...and "The Cracks of Doom" is all new....

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Nov , 2007 3:35 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

The release was delayed a week, till the 20th, because the assembly plant in San Diego was temporaily closed due to wildfires.

My apologies for not keeping the thread as well updated as I have in the past; I've been rather busy lately. :llama:

The Annotated Score is now available for download, though:

http://download.wbr.com/lordoftherings/ ... _score.pdf

As usual, recommended reading whether you plan on buying the set or not.

One more week, one more week, one more week....

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 13 Nov , 2007 3:59 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I followed the link - that's not a score at all, it's actually a commentary.

I would be very surprised if they offered the score for free download! ;)

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 25 Nov , 2007 2:00 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Amazon is currently offering the first two sets at %50 off:

TTT ($37.99)

FOTR ($29.99)

Oh, and ROTK is marvelous....more later. ;)

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 27 Dec , 2007 2:15 pm
of Vinyamar

Well, Santa brought me the RotK Score, but no chance to listen properly yet!

TTBK, I seem to remember reading somewhere in the last 9 pages that there would be a Slipcase available for those of us who bought all three soundtracks. Any word on that?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
The Tennis Ball Kid
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 17 Jan , 2008 1:41 pm
Seeking Wimbledon

Sorry I missed this, I'm barely online lately...

I know a slipcase was mentioned as a possibility at some point, but I don't think anything came of it...of course, there's still another boxset coming (the book and raities discs), so maybe it'll happen then. I'll keep my eyes open.

And while I'm here, in other news: Doug Adams started a blog. He has a FAQ up that has the latest on the book.

ttbk

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 9 of 9  [ 179 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 15 6 7 8 9
Jump to: