board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

We're writing the LOTR miniseries! (was Why an Eye?)

Post Reply   Page 15 of 16  [ 318 posts ]
Jump to page « 112 13 14 15 16 »
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Jan , 2008 4:06 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

This second and final part of the episode is long but I do not think it can be split.

A moment of blackness then we hear deep rumbles. A red flicker barely relieves the black. Cut to black jagged peaks against a dull brown sky. Faint pulses of dull red light up the sky then fade again. We start to hear the sound of a bitter wind that does not cease through the following scenes.
Cut to a steep cliff that slopes back cut by a near vertical crack from top to bottom. Cut to a worn narrow step and fingers suddenly grasp it. Frodo’s face comes into view, utterly weary. The camera stays still as he climbs slowly past and Sam’s face appears next. His eyes are shut and he is biting his lips.
Cut to Gollum squatting on the edge of the cliff. He looks over the edge for a moment then wraps his arms around his legs. Cut to a close-up of his face.

Gollum: ‘We’ll see, oh yes precious we’ll see. When she throws their bones away, we shall get it oh yes. Get the Precious again. Then we’ll pay her back; pay everyone back.’ He stops and looks up. Cut to Frodo clambering over the edge and rolling flat in exhaustion. Sam appears next.
Cut to Gollum, his cold face alters: ‘Clever hobbitses to climb so high. Not long now; just one more stair and that’s all.’

Cut to Sam, sitting up and massaging his fingers: ‘Another one?’

Cut to Gollum, still encouraging: ’Yes, but not as difficult. Hobbits rest when we get to the top; not yet.’ Cut to Sam wearily getting up and holding out a hand for Frodo to grasp.

Sam: ‘What then?’

Cut to Gollum moving away and whispering to himself: ‘We shall see; oh yes, we shall see!’ Cut to a distant view of the three figures on a steep winding path. Cut to the three in a steep rocky gully in a grey brown light. The wind is even louder.

Sam: My Master has to rest out of this bitter cold wind. How much further is it?’

Gollum: ‘Very nearly at the top now. Nice master rest for a while.’ Sam points to a shallow gap between some rocks and shepherds Frodo into it. Cut to the hobbits sitting close together for warmth while Gollum squats outside hugging himself. Frodo leans forward and hands Gollum his water flask.

Sam: ‘There’s a queer kind of stuffy smell up here. I don’t like it.’

Frodo, fastening his flask and shaking it to check the contents: ‘I like nothing here; step or stone, breath or bone. Earth, air and water all seem accursed but so our path is laid.’

Sam looks at Frodo, judging his mood: ‘I used to think that the folk in adventures went out and looked for them because life was a bit dull. Now I see that they just landed in them. I expect they had lots of chances to turn back but they didn’t; they just went on ….’ He pauses and pulls a wry face. ‘…. and not all to a good end mind you.’

Frodo: ‘That’s the way with a real tale. The people in them don’t know if their ending will be sad or happy.’

Sam: ‘Take Beren. He never thought he would end up taking the Silmaril from the crown of Morgoth, yet he did and that was a far darker place than this. And the Silmaril went on to Earendil.’ (He looks up.) ‘and then up into the sky. Why, I’ve just thought; you’ve got some of that starlight in your glass from the Lady Galadriel. We are in the same story! Do they ever end?’

Frodo: ‘No, but the people in them do.’

Sam: ‘When this is over we can have some proper rest and sleep. All I’ve been hoping for is to wake up to a morning’s work in the garden back in the Shire…… Do you think our story will be put into fireside songs or read out of a big book? Perhaps they’ll say,’ (he puts on a silly piping child’s voice) ‘Let’s hear about Frodo and the Ring, that’s my favourite, the famousest of all the hobbits.’ Frodo relaxes and throws his head back and laughs naturally. Cut to a sweep of the jagged rocks and the laugh echoing around. Cut back to the two and Frodo is smiling now.

Frodo: ‘Why, Sam, you have left out the chief character; Samwise the Stouthearted. They’ll say, “Why didn’t they put in more of his talk dad? It makes me laugh. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without his Sam, would he dad?”’

Sam: ‘Now Mr Frodo, you shouldn’t make fun.’

Frodo puts his hand over Sam’s: ‘No Sam, I was serious. But we are still stuck in the worst part of the story. They may say, “Shut the book now dad, we don’t want to hear the next bit.”’ They pause and think.

Sam, still trying to keep Frodo’s spirits up: ‘Gollum used to like the old tales once. Perhaps even he might be good in one.’ He leans forward. ‘Gollum! Do you want to be the hero? Where’s he gone? He’s sneaked off again. There’s no food for him up here. I don’t trust him.’

Frodo: ‘If he’s false then he is false. After all he doesn’t want the Ring captured either.’ Frodo’s eyes droop.

Sam: ‘You need some sleep. I’ll keep watch. Lay your head in my lap and I’ll try to keep you warm.’ Frodo rolls over and Sam lays one arm across him and rests his other hand on his sword-hilt. He stays vigilant.
Fade to Gollum’s malevolent eyes. Cut to him creeping down the windswept gully with a cruel smile on him. Cut to him squatting down again outside the shelter. Cut to Frodo and Sam asleep, their arms around each other, their faces tranquil in sleep. The camera lingers on them for a moment. Cut to Gollum’s face. The malevolence fades to weariness then he looks up the gully as if in doubt. Some sort of compassion grows on his face. Cut to Gollum stretching his hand out cautiously to rest it on Frodo’s. Cut back and he again looks up the gully. Cut to a close-up of his face and a tear grows in his eyes. Cut to Sam’s face and his eyes flicker open and then he wakes with a start. Cut to him pushing Gollum away in the chest.

Sam: ‘What are you up to?’

Cut to Gollum sadly: ‘Nothing. Nice master.’

Cut to Sam: ‘Sneaking again? You old villain.’

Cut to Gollum’s face as the compassion and weariness fades away and his face goes blank. He pulls back.

Gollum: ‘Hobbitses always so polite, oh yes. Nice hobbits. Smeagol brings them up secret ways. Tired and thirsty he is and they call him a sneak. Very nice friends my precious.’

Cut back to the hobbits as Sam rubs his face: ‘Sorry, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been sleeping and that made me a bit sharp.’ Frodo starts to wake and Sam smooths his hair.

Frodo: ‘It’s still dark.’

Sam: ‘It’s always dark now, remember? Gollum’s back so I guess it’s time to go on. It’s the last lap now.’ Frodo sits up.

Frodo: ‘Have you had any rest Smeagol?’

Cut to Gollum looking coldly at them: ‘No rest, no food for Smeagol. He’s a sneak. So Master Samwise says.’ Cut to the hobbits and Frodo looks from one to the other. Sam rolls his eyes and tuts.

Sam: ‘I did but I said I was sorry.’

Frodo: ‘Then let it pass. Tell me Smeagol, are we close now? You have done as you promised and you are free. Free to go back wherever you wish except to the Enemy. One day I…’ He pauses.’… or those that remember me may reward you.’

Cut to Gollum. He looks up the gully then back: ‘No! Oh no! Not yet. There’s still the tunnel. We must go on. No rest, not yet.’ His eyelids lower.
Fade to the three standing by a small opening at the base of a cliff. We have seen it already in the episode at Henneth Annnun. Gollum stands by the entrance while the two hobbits stand back.

Gollum: ‘We must go this way now. Come on.’

Sam, his hand over his face and nose: ‘What is that stench? It’s like a hundred years of orc-filth in there. Do you mean you have been through this before? Perhaps you don’t mind this smell.’

Cut to a close-up of Gollum’s face, quietly: ‘He doesn’t know what we minds does he precious? Smeagol can bear things.’ Then more briskly, ‘Come on, follow Smeagol!’ Cut back to the three and Gollum scuttles into the black entrance leaving Frodo and Sam looking at each other unhappily. They walk up to the entrance and pause again. Sam shifts his stick to his left hand and they clasp hands, wait a second then walk in. The darkness swallows them too.
Cut to a completely black screen. From now on we hear only sound. The sound of the wind has gone but other sounds are magnified. We hear the padding of their feet, the click of their sticks and the sound of their breathing. When they speak it is in whispers.

After a moment or so, Frodo: ‘I can’t hear Smeagol. We have to catch up. Try to follow the walls with your hand. If this is an orc-den there may be different paths.’ We hear more sound of their walking.

Sam: ‘Yes, I just felt an opening in the side. This seems the straight way though.’ As he speaks his voice trails away as if he is moving away.

Frodo’s voice swells as if he is approaching: ‘I’ve lost track of time in here Sam. Oh no! Now there is nothing on my side at all. There is a great gap here. It sounds like an open space. Aughph! The stench is worst here.This is where it all comes from.’ We hear Sam choke and gag.

Sam, almost crying like a child: ‘There is something here. I can feel it watching me. It’s worse than Gollum.’ Then we hear a drawn out disgusting bubbling sound then a hiss then the sound of something big being dragged.
Sam is whimpering now: ‘It’s a trap. That stink is getting even worse and we can’t see a thing. Oh help us someone!’ The sound grows louder. We hear the hobbits’ feet break into a run.
Softly we hear Galadriel’s voice from afar: ‘For you, Ringbearer, a light when all other lights go out.’

Sam’s voice from close-up: ‘Master! The Lady’s gift! The starglass!’
We hear a fumbling and the faint chink of a chain. Then a tiny spark of intense white light shows, lighting up a hand. It grows in brilliant whiteness but not in size as if mists were clearing from it. Frodo is revealed holding it in a narrow passageway.

Frodo: ‘Aiya Earendil Elenion Ancalima!’ The light grows brighter still until we see Sam’s face full of horror. Cut to the tunnel illuminated by the light. Far down it is some moving mass with waving legs in front of it and clustered eyes reflecting some of the light. Cut back to Frodo and Sam lit by the starglass, their faces full of horror as they back away. Cut back to the indistinct moving mass, still far down the passage but starting to move forward. Cut to Frodo and Sam turning and running. Cut back to the creature moving faster but still a distance away. Cut to Frodo and Sam running round a bend. Frodo pulls at Sam’s arm and they stop.

Frodo: ‘Stand! It knows these tunnels. Running is no use.’ He turns and draws Sting and holding the bright speck up he walks back around the bend. We see his shadow against the wall and Sam looks fearfully over his shoulder and then follows him. Cut to the eyes and waving legs and hairy palyps now much closer. Cut to Frodo as Sam comes up behind him. Frodo collects himself, squares his shoulders and holds Sting up.
‘Galadriel!’
Frodo advances one step at a time to camera and the light swells even more, blinding out most of the scene. Frodo and the light passes and we see Sam still frozen with horror behind him.
Cut to the creature blocking the tunnel. It stops moving forward. The legs wave and then it pulls back and disappears in the darkness.

Cut to Sam’s face ablaze in admiration and excitement: ‘Stars and Glory! Oh but the Elves would make a song about that! May I live to tell them! Don’t go on Master. Let’s get out of this foul hole now!’
Cut to Frodo and Sam running and stumbling along the tunnel as the camera tracks back. The camera stops and they run past and we see their long shadows ripple on the tunnel floor.

Cut to Frodo, running: ‘I can smell fresh air!’
Cut to the two running into strands and sheets of grey web and beyond the webs a form of light entering the darkness. They try to free themselves and by now Sam is almost hysterical.

Sam: ‘It stings!’ He slashes frantically at the web but his sword bounces back. He looks desperately over his shoulder: ‘Trapped in the end! Oh no! Have the eyes come back?’

Frodo is calm. He looks back: ‘Not yet. Here, Sam, let me try with Sting. The Elves made it in Beleriand. The stories said there were webs of horror there too. Take the starglass and hold back the eyes if they come again. Don’t be afraid.’
Frodo passes the bright speck of light to Sam. Still wide-eyed, Sam holds the light up but his hand shakes. Frodo runs the edge of Sting along the sheets of web and they start to peel away.

Finally Frodo calls out: ‘Come on Sam, we’re through!’
Cut to the outside of the tunnel; we hear the sound of the wind again. The severed webs wave in the wind and Frodo bursts out into the dull brown light. He runs off camera. Sam appears next, more slowly and walking out backwards, still looking into the tunnel. Cut to a closer view of him as he puts the light inside his clothes; his stick still swinging from his wrist by its strap.

He turns and calls out softly: ‘Not so fast Mr Frodo. There may be orcs about.’ Then again his eyes open in horror and he opens his mouth to shout just as Gollum’s hand covers it and he is pulled back out of view.
Cut to Frodo running up a slope of a gully. As he passes a crack a monstrous spider shape squeezes out of it behind him, scuttles after him and leaps on him with frightening speed.
Cut to Gollum on top of Sam. One hand is on his throat, the other holds Sam’s sword hand by the wrist.

Cut to a close-up of Gollum’s face: ‘At last my precious we’ve got him, yes the nassty hobbit.’ Gollums spits downwards. ‘We’ll take this one. Smeagol promised he wouldn’t hurt the master so Shelob can have him to play with.’ Cut to Sam’s sword hand bent back by Gollum until he drops his sword with a cry. Cut back to the two on the ground and Sam suddenly bucks violently and rolls from under Gollum. Getting to his knees he twists his left hand and wrist around until he grasps his staff that still hangs from its thong. He brings it down first on Gollum’s arm and then again and again on his head and back until the staff snaps and he dives for his sword. Gollum wails and covering his head he runs back into the tunnel. For an instant Sam goes to follow him then checks himself and turns and cries out heartrendingly and runs up the gully.
Cut to a vast horrific spider shape, its legs crooked high above its bulbous body. We see glimpses of a white bundle being twisted beneath its legs. It starts to drag the bundle away. Cut to Sam running as hard as he can. He stops to pick up Frodo’s sword and exchanges the two swords in his hands then runs on. He roars out in rage. Cut to Sam arriving at the spider bulk and he slashes at a leg and severs part of it. The spider spins around to face him and Sam reaches up and slashes at the eyes with both swords as he grunts out: ‘Take that and that!’
The spider rears up away from the swords and Sam ducks underneath to straddle Frodo. Cut to a longer view and the spider straightens its legs to raise itself high. Cut to Sam standing athwart the white bundle. He closes his eyes and bows his head and holds Sting up with both hands above his head.
Cut back to the longer view and the spider violently slams her body hard down on Sam. Cut to Sam crumpling under the weight. Cut back again and with a bubbling hiss the spider leaps back and curls up and twitches convulsively. Sting clatters down in the foreground. Cut to Sam staggering to get to his feet. Cut to Shelob scrabbling to get upright again. Cut to Sam grim-faced picking up Sting and walking forward. Cut to Shelob advancing, stopping then tightening her legs as if getting ready to spring. Cut to Sam; he looks ready to die. His hand fumbles at his neck then he pulls out the speck of light.
Cut to a close-up of Sam looking down at it, the light catching his face as he whispers: ‘Galadriel.’ He raises it to his lips and kisses it. It swells in light. Sam looks up and we see overlaid on his face the scene of Gildor and his company of Elves in the Shire.
Sam starts whispering but his voice grows in strength and the light grows into brilliance.
‘A Elbereth Gilthoniel
O menel palandiriel
Le nallon si dingurothos!
A tiro nin, Fanuilos!’
As he speaks the verse the Elvish singers are tracked with his.
Cut to show all of Sam.
He raises Sting and speaks through gritted teeth: ’Now you filth. You’ve hurt my master and you’ll pay for it. We’re going on but we’ll settle with you first. Come on and taste this again.’
Cut to Shelob twisting this way and that to avoid the brilliant light, trying to cover her oozing eye stalks with her front legs. Sam comes into shot and slashes at whatever he can. Shelob turns and limps away as Sam follows relentlessly slashing at the back of her abdomen until she squeezes into a crack in the side of the gully.
Cut to Sam outside the hole as the last sign of her legs disappear. He falls on his hands and knees gasping and gradually the light in his fist dims to a glow. Then he looks up and back and cries out and staggers up and reels unsteadily off camera.
Cut to him kneeling above the web-covered body of Frodo, cutting the sticky web off.

Sam: ‘Master Frodo, Mr Frodo.’ Sam strokes his face then shakes him gently. Cut to Frodo’s livid white face. Tears fall on it. Cut to Sam’s face, tears dropping off his cheeks.

Sam: ‘Don’t leave me here alone. It’s your Sam calling. Don’t go where I can’t follow.’
Sam looks up and bites his lip and looks down again.
‘Wake up Mr Frodo me dear, me dear. Oh no!’
He looks off to one side and draws in a shuddering breath.
‘He’s not asleep. I saw him in Galadriel’s mirror and thought he was asleep. But he’s not asleep.’
His voice softens to a whisper: ’He’s dead.’

The camera pulls back and the two figures shrink until they are tiny against the rocks and there is a slow fade to black.

Closing credits.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Jan , 2008 1:48 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Excellent.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Jan , 2008 2:48 pm
of Vinyamar

Tosh, just to let you know, I'm actually waiting till its finished, cause I missed so much. When its all done I'd like to get a copy from you and read it in its entirety if thats ok?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Jan , 2008 8:48 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Thanks Liddy, always nice to get feedback. I've said it before but I don't mind criticism.
Alatar, it's all there. :) If you read it now you get the nail-biting cliff hangers while you wait breathlessly for the next post :cool: (That makes it sound like the Eye of Argon!)
I write each episode in two longhand versions then transfer them to a Word document, polishing and revising as I go. I make the first post here as B77 is where it originated and this is my home board. As I transfer it I make a few simple corrections or drop a word or two. Then I post it on HoF and TORC and in doing so spot and correct even more typos so I suppose the 'final' version is on those boards. I don't go back and correct the Word documents but perhaps I should.
I am nowhere near the end yet and don't have any plans for when I finish but I am sure I can do something for you Alatar.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Jan , 2008 5:46 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Time to carry on with the new episode.
Just to whet your interest I have written a minor 'haunted house' sequence a la PJ that I will post soon. It's not where you think either.

A distant view of woods stretched below hills, dull in a brown gloom. We hear the soft sounds and replies of rolling drums. Cut to a line of horses picketed among trees and the camera tracks briefly over their backs. The opening credits start; JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings: Episode Twenty Three The Siege of Gondor etc. As the credits run cut to a bush and beyond it in a clearing a soldier of Rohan fastens his helmet and gives orders to others. The camera pulls back and we see the back of a head watching the scene from the cover of the bush. The soldier walks off. Cut to the camera tracking him from behind as he walks between trees. He trips and falls forward but rolls nimbly upright.
Cut to a close-up of his scowling face: ‘Cursed tree-roots. If I survive this war I’ll not enter a cursed wood ever again.’

Cut to Merry kneeling up and rubbing his side: ‘I’m not a root Captain Elfhelm but just a hobbit trying to get some sleep.’

Cut back to Elfhelm putting a finger to his lips and looking around: ‘Not so loud Master Holbytlan. You are not supposed to be here. Did I hurt you?’

Cut to Merry walking up to Elfhelm: ‘No. People find it hard to see me in this elf-cloak and we hobbits are easily overlooked. Why are we in these woods?’

Elfhelm: ‘An army from Mordor has entered Rohan and seized the road to Mundburg. It is now blocked by trenches and barriers. If we try to fight our way through it will slow us too much. King Theoden hopes to find a way through these woods but they look impassable to me.’ Another rolling of drums is heard and Merry looks around.

Merry: ‘Is that the sound of orcs?’

Elfhelm: ‘No. Wild men live in these woods though you will never see them.’ He too looks around. ’They carry poisoned darts and arrows.’ He pauses. ‘Where is your rider, er, Dernhelm?’

Merry pulls a face: ‘He never speaks a word to me and will not have me with him when we halt. I think he sees his death at the end of this ride.’

Elfhelm: ‘It may be so Master Tree-root. Unlike your elf friends we all come to an end one day. All we can hope is to make it a good one.’
Elfhelm walks off leaving Merry looking dejected. He too walks off camera and in the background a hump rises and a camouflaged man slips into the dark.
Cut to Theoden, Eomer and a few others riding cautiously between trees. Quick cuts to ropes and nets lifted suddenly all round them and scores of half naked men armed with bows and blowpipes emerge from cover. A brief cut to Eomer looking at Theoden in alarm. Cut to a short, round-bellied man pushing his way through the others. He is heavily tattooed, wears a kilt of foliage and bears a necklace of curved tusks. He puts his hands on his hips and scowls.

Cut to a distant view of Mount Doom. An intense red glow at the summit lights up a column of black smoke and the brown clouds above. The camera pans around to a tower rising in tiers against cliffs. The camera rises up the tower to the top then moves left to a small cleft. Cut to a distant view of Sam halfway down a steep gully kneeling by Frodo’s body. Cut to a close-up of Sam holding his face between his hands. Once again we hear the whining wind. Cut to a close-up of his face, his eyes wet. He looks up.
Sam, softly: ‘What shall I do? Do I go on and leave Mr Frodo here alone and unburied?’ Cut back and he starts to exchange his sword and scabbard for Frodo’s and to tidy his body, crossing his hands on his breast.
As he does so he talks more loudly as if Frodo could hear: ‘If I am to go on I’ll need Sting. Mr Bilbo would understand. And I know she gave it to you but may I keep the Lady’s starglass for a while? I shall be in the dark now.’ Sam stands and looks around. ‘What shall I do?’ He draws Sting and it glows faintly blue. He swings it around and makes stabbing motions.
Through his teeth: ‘I’ll hunt Gollum down, that’s what. I’ll hunt him down and he will die in a corner. Yes!’ He stops in mid-motion and lets the sword hang down. ‘No. That won’t do. That won’t bring my master back.’ He looks down at the point of Sting then over at Frodo. He brings the point up to his breast. ‘I can go on the same lonely journey as you master.’ He rests it there for a moment then tenses himself then relaxes. ‘No. That won’t do either. We set out to do something and I have to see it through like I told Gildor. All the way to the Crack of Doom.’ He drops the point. ’I’m the last of the Company. There’s no one else left.’ He shakes his head. ‘Oh I wish old Gandalf was here to help. I’m sure to go wrong. That’ll be Sam Gamgee all over. Ah well, I suppose Mr Frodo and Mr Bilbo didn’t choose themselves either. If I don’t go on it’s the end of all of us; Lothlorien and Rivendell and the Shire. The war has started and like as not it’s going his way. I can’t go back to ask permission.’
Cut to a close-up as he kneels and takes Frodo’s hand.
Sam, tenderly: ‘Forgive your Sam. He’ll come back if he can. Rest you quiet till I come and may no foul creature come anigh you.’ He bends over and kisses Frodo’s forehead. There is a moment of quiet then he looks up suddenly and we hear orc shouts in the distance. Sam looks one way then the other. Cut to the entrance to Shelob’s tunnels with the webs blowing. First torchlight is seen then orcs appear through the severed webs. Cut to the crest of the gully. Torchlight is seen reflected on the rock walls then silhouettes of orcs appear, outlined by torchlight.

Cut to a distant view of Minas Tirith in the dark, the walls flickering from the fires in the surrounding trenches. Cut to a distant view of the river and the ruined bridges. A dozen or so barges filled with torchlight cross the river in both directions. We can hear a distant massed howling. The sound increases in volume suddenly as it cuts to the river-bank filled with orcs stamping, jumping, clashing their weapons and howling. A barge bumps into the bank and they swarm on to it. Cut to the barge leaving and more orcs rush up to fill their place. Cut to orcs scrambling over the debris from a breach in the Rammas wall. Cut to a broad road leading from a turreted gateway. A wide column of orcs bearing grisly totems on poles crowd along it to camera. Cut to a section of the wall crumbling to an explosion. The camera pans across to a broad squat tower. Motionless upon it, lit by all the flames is a great black-robed and high crowned rider. Cut to a closer view and red flames burn within the sockets of the horse’s skeletal head. Cut to the road from a different viewpoint and high in the background we see the figure of the Lord of the Nazgul. Trebuchets and behind them siege towers are seen being dragged up the road to camera by mumakil. Cut to an orchard in flames and orcs setting the farmhouse next to it to the torch.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 29 Jan , 2008 3:37 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Poison works at several levels...........

Cut to Denethor’s face now weeping and vulnerable. The camera pulls back and we see he leans over the body of Faramir on a low bed. Cut to Faramir’s face drenched in sweat. He shakes, his eyes flicker half open and his lips mutter. Cut to a heavily blurred view of Denethor looking down towards camera. The shape of his head darkens and changes to a death’s head. Cut to Faramir staggering along a dark passageway towards a door at the end that has light gleaming from under it. The sound is muffled. Cut to him falling upon the door and tugging vainly at the handle. He turns. Cut to Boromir walking up the passageway towards him then turning to walk into a side-door. Cut to Faramir running in slow motion up the passage. Cut and we see Faramir from behind as he enters the door. The camera follows him in and we see Boromir facing away, looking out of a window.

Faramir, in muffled tones: ‘Help us Boromir or Gondor and the West will fall.’ He catches Boromir’s arm and Boromir turns to show a death’s head.
Cut to Faramir shivering and unconscious on his bed.

Cut to Pippin: ‘Do not weep lord.’

Cut to Denethor speaking through his tears. ‘I sent my son forth, unthanked, unblessed into needless peril. Now he lies here with poison in his veins.’

Cut to the gully on the border of Mordor. Two groups of orcs in different uniforms half circle each other growling and snapping. Two better armed and larger orcs try to control each group and push them back. They part enough to see Frodo’s body between them.
Cut to one large orc with the Red Eye upon his chest standing and laughing.
Shagrat: ‘Here’s the spy by the look of it. He met his match with Shelob.’

Cut to another large orc dressed in black with the death’s head of Morgul upon him kneeling by Frodo’s body. Cut to his claw pulling back Frodo’s shirt to reveal a glimpse of his mithril coat. The claw hooks the shirt back over it. Cut back to the kneeling orc.

Gorbag: ‘We were sent up from Morgul to check for spies. The Head Shrieker was supposed to have sniffed something yesterday when he set off. Do you want to share any valuables? When this is all over we can slip away and start up on our own away from all the big bosses. You don’t know what it’s like down there. Those Nazgul have got a place, they strip the skin from your body and leave you there in the dark, not alive, not dead.’

Cut to Shagrat: ‘You want to loot him? No chance! It’s more than my belly’s worth. A list of all clothes, weapons, letters, trinkets and rings has to be sent to Barad-dur straight away or we’re all as good as dead.’

Cut to Gorbag standing up: ‘Pity there’s no game to be had with him. Our lads found him first and we could have been in on it.’

Cut to Shagrat: ‘Nor that either. I’m in charge up here. Any prisoner has to be kept safe until he goes to Barad-dur for proper questioning. That’s when the real fun starts. They have some good tricks there.’

Cut to Gorbag looking down. He chuckles and kicks Frodo’s body.
Gorbag: ‘Safe? A bit late now isn’t it after Shelob has had her way with him? He’s only fit for the pot now.’

Cut to Shagrat: ‘Is that all you know of her? Shelob doesn’t suck cold blood. She eats ‘em alive. She just gives them a dab on the neck to keep them quiet. Then it’s off to hang them up and dine from at her pleasure. The Big Boss in Barad-dur sometimes sends prisoners here for her to play with.’ He looks around. ‘Time we went in case she comes back in a bad mood. Hoist him up lads. If your gang from Morgul come back with us and try to rob him there’ll be trouble. I don’t trust you and I’ll have him put right at the top out of your way.’
Cut to orcs lifting Frodo up in the air and running off. The other orcs follow in an untidy crowd. Gorbag pulls some of his orcs back.

Cut to a close-up of Gorbag whispering: ‘That spy had a mithril coat. It is worth the price of a kingdom! Follow Shagrat’s lot back and tell our lads to look for a chance to grab it. We have to look out for number one. Don’t worry if you have to stick a few of them to get it. Serves them right for dodging all the fighting up here. Eh, and watch out. That fool Shagrat thinks he knows everything but that spy was not alone. Someone cut the webs off him. One of those filthy elf-warriors I expect. As I said, watch out.’
Cut back and we see Gorbag and his fellow orcs follow the main band at a loping run up the gully. The camera pans back to where they had stood. Sam becomes visible, holding the Ring in his fingers. He loops the chain over his head and tucks the Ring in then steps towards the camera.

Sam: ‘I knew I would get it wrong. I knew I would! He’s alive still and that filth have got him! Never leave your master: never! I knew it in my heart. I have to get him back somehow.’

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Feb , 2008 8:38 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

And the episode finishes.....

Cut to a brief establishing shot of Minas Tirith. Cut to a long view along the street in the first circle of the City. White buildings are lit by small fires burning in many places. A line of men pass buckets to put out fires. Pitchers of oil fall from above and shatter and ignite only to be put out with sand and blankets. The camera zooms past the activity to an empty part of the street. In the distance small clusters of balls land and bounce and roll. Another cluster lands nearer then close to camera a dozen heads land and roll around. Two roll together in the gutter and the camera gently moves towards them to show the faces of Mablung and Damrod from Ithilien touching.
Cut to a burning siege tower close to the walls of the City. Figures too small to see clearly, some burning, fall from it. A mumak runs past in the foreground screaming then slowly collapses to the ground. Cut to another siege-tower hauled by mumakil up the broad road.
Cut to a line of archers on the broad black City wall. Further along some men use a ballistra to fire heavy darts. One man is directing its aim. The archers are firing downwards constantly. At one point they take padded arrows and light them from a brazier and shoot them high in the air. We see the trajectories meet against the dark sky. Above the background roars and shouts and drumming the howl of a Nazgul swells and the men crouch and cover their ears.
The camera pans a short way to Imrahil and then Gandalf coming up steps. They cross to the men who get to their feet.
Archer, pointing outwards: ‘We burn their siege engines as soon as they get close but still more come. They will take our city within the day. I know it.’

Imrahil claps him on the shoulder: ‘These walls have never been taken in three thousand years. You do not know your strength. You are making such a stand as will be sung of in the West for the next Age.’

Gandalf: ‘The wizard’s tower of Orthanc was built by the same men who raised these walls. The tree-giants of Fangorn could not make a mark on it. These walls will not break while you defend them. Take heart. I am here and I do not despair yet.’
The two walk on and the camera tracks backwards to keep with them.

Imrahil, quietly: ‘Even the highest walls cannot keep out fear.’ The howl of the Nazgul returns.

Cut back to the archers.
One looks up: ‘The walls may not break but still the gate may fall.’ They resume shooting arrows.
Cut to the motionless figure of the mounted Lord of the Nazgul on the low tower. Cut again to the road overlooked by the figure of the Witch-King high in the background. This time a broad column of mounted men with spiked helmets and round shields bearing a black snake clatter in. Cut back to the Witch-King. We hear a rhythmic chant that resolves into ‘Grond! Grond!’
Cut to two mumakil straining to camera. They separate enough to see they head two lines of mumakil hauling massive chains. ‘Grond! Grond!’ gets louder. We start to see within the shadows at the end an enormous gaping wolf’s maw, all sharply angular in black steel. The mumakil pass the camera and the head gets closer. Cut to the Witch-King and he raises his arm. Cut to the view of the wolf’s head within the double line of great beasts and they stop their straining and the chains slacken. The chant stops. Cut to the Witch-King again with his arm still raised.
Cut to Denethor, his head resting on Faramir’s breast. Pippin stands behind in silent distress. We hear a pounding on the door. Looking at the silent Denethor, Pippin crosses to the door and opens it.

A Citadel guard stands there, his voice high in urgency: ‘The first circle of the city is burning lord. What are your commands?’ Pippin looks back.
Cut to Denethor raising his head. His voice has altered and weakened.

Denethor: ‘Go, do as you will. Follow the Grey Fool if you will. I must stay by my son. The house of the Stewards has failed.’ Cut to Pippin and the guard exchanging looks and the guard runs off.

Cut to Denethor standing: ‘Call my servants to me Halfling then wait here.’ He walks over to a small door. Cut to Denethor climbing dark steps with a lantern. Cut to the small round room with the cloth-covered plinth. Denethor’s arm reaches out and strips the cloth from the Palantir. Cut to Denethor’s face lit by a bright light. Cut to the Palantir between his hands. Distorted within it a line of black galleys stretch down a twisting river, their oars rising and dropping. Cut to Denethor’s face. Cut back to the Palantir and the image blurs and changes to a view of the wolf-headed ram. The scene blurs again and we see a group of orcs carrying the body of Frodo. Cut to Denethor covering the globe up. His face crumples and his whole body sags.
Cut to Denethor entering his chamber again. The camera pulls back to show Pippin and Faramir and a line of servants behind him.

Denethor: ‘The West has failed. The Enemy has found it.’ He gestures to his servants. ‘Carry my son to the Silent Street.’ Cut to a close-up of Faramir shivering and unconscious as he is lifted. Cut to the servants carrying him through the door followed by Denethor and finally Pippin. Cut to the procession passing the White Tree by the fountain. Cut to the group passing a guard and entering a small doorway in a wall. Cut to them descending a narrow empty street.

Cut to Denethor in front of a columned portico: ‘Take my son inside and lay him on the tomb prepared for me. There will be no slow embalmed sleep for us. We will burn like the heathen kings of old. Peregrin son of Paladin, I release you from your service. Go and die in whatever way seems best to you; even with that fool who brought you to this end. The City will burn. There is no escape. I will go now to my own bonfire.’ He turns to his servants. ‘Bring wood and oil and fire for me and my son’
Cut to Pippin looking up to Denethor then across to Faramir. Cut to Faramir still shaking and murmuring.

Cut back to Pippin. He kneels: ‘I will not say farewell lord.’ He stands and talks to Denethor as an equal. ‘I want to see Gandalf very much indeed. He is no fool and I will not think of dying until he despairs of life. If the Enemy comes at last to the Citadel I will be here and stand beside you and earn the arms you gave me.’

Cut to Denethor: ‘As you will. My life is broken. Cannot you see? All hope has gone.’
Cut to the Witch-King, arm raised. He brings it down swiftly and the chant resumes, ‘Grond! Grond!’
Cut to the mumakil. They lean forward. The chains tauten. ‘Grond! Grond!’ The wolf’s head comes forward. Cut to an aerial view of an immensely long ram, still near the river, pulled by a team of mumakil towards the fires of the city. Cut to the Witch-King moving down from the low tower, the fearsome horse picking its way down through rubble.
Cut to the defenders on the walls. They pause, looking daunted. Cut to the mumakil dragging Grond towards the camera, the wolf’s head swinging. Cut to the Witch-King following the ram at a distance. A company of trolls walk close behind the ram.
Cut to a soldier in the armour seen in Ithilien leading a line of mumakil away from the walls and fires. Cut to the wolf’s head, its stylised angular head seen from the side up close to the Gate. It moves backwards. Cut to a view from further back and stones and fire arrows bounce off its housing. Cut to the trolls at the back pulling the ram back on its chains and pausing.
Cut to a mound of twisted corpses, the fires fitfully lighting them. Behind it the sharp points of the black crown appear and the Witch-King rides slowly up the corpse-hill into view. All the sounds of the battle cease. Cut to the men on the battlements. One by one they let their weapons sag down and they bow their heads or close their eyes in resignation. Cut to the Witch-King. He draws a long thin sword and holds it up. Cut back to the trolls and they fling the shaft of the ram forward. Cut to the wolf-head striking the Gate. A deep reverberation sounds. Cut back briefly to the Witch-King. Cut back to Grond striking the Gate again and debris starts to fall from it. Cut to another strike.
Cut to the Witch-King again. He slowly rises in his stirrups. He gives out a terrible shriek that breaks up into articulated sounds. Red flames emerge and flicker up the blade of his sword and he brings it down and points it. Cut to Grond striking the gate again and there is a flash of red flame and the action changes to slow motion. The Gate splinters apart and the broken pieces slowly scatter and fly up and fall.
Cut to black.
Closing credits.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Feb , 2008 4:55 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Another pivotal episode coming up and again for narrative reasons it will have to be in two long sections rather than the usual three.

A silhouette of Sam from behind against a dull red night sky. He is staggering from side to side up a narrow rock gully. He stops and supports himself against a rock. Cut to a close-up of his face, filthy and haggard.
Sam: ‘My master’s alive and I let orcs take hold of him. Now I have to rescue him or perish. Hah! The perishing is more likely….. and easier.’ Cut to the narrow cleft outlined against the red sky as Sam’s voice continues: ‘Up there, at the top I’ll see Mordor at last.’ Cut to the silhouette again as Sam starts moving: ‘Hold on Mr Frodo, I’m coming!’
Cut to Sam standing within the cleft looking out and around. He and the rocks are lit with a blood-red light that pulses. The opening credits start; JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings: Episode Twenty Four The Witch-King of Angmar etc. As the credits run, cut to the dimly lit plain of Gorgoroth and the distant volcano. Its smoke is subdued but it still glows bright enough to light up the pall of cloud above and the surrounding lands.
Cut to Sam looking to his left. Cut to the tower of Cirith Ungol seen from the side, sweeping downwards. In the distance is a long thin bridge that sweeps out from the cliffs. The camera pans downwards a short way to show steps that wend down the steep slope beside the tower. Everything is a dull red from the volcano.
Cut to a close-up of Sam’s head and shoulders. He appears to be listening. His hand creeps to his neck. Cut to a close-up of his hand pulling the chain and then the Ring from within his shirt. The Ring nestles in his palm and Sam’s eyes stare at it.
Sam: ‘Mr Frodo was right. You do talk. Put me on you say. Put you on and I’ll be Samwise the Strong, Hero of the Age. Armies will fall down and obey me and I can throw down Sauron. Turn this barren waste into a garden full of trees and flowers and fruit. Put you on and call you mine. Easy, just like that.’
The focus changes to his eyes and he looks out. Cut to a high view of the tiny Sam from behind within the cleft and the shadows and red fissured landscape of Mordor. Cut back to the close-up of Sam looking at the Ring in his hand. His fingers curl over it and he looks out again.
Sam: ‘No. I’m not big enough. He’d spot me right away and soon cow me. Anyway I’ve no call to command others. A garden big enough for my own hands is all I need.’ Cut to Sam stuffing the Ring back into his shirt. Cut to a close-up of the cone of Mount Doom and a gout of lava is thrown out.
Cut back to Sam: ‘Hah! Just when this Ring would help out and make me invisible is when I can’t use it! Oh well, here goes.’
Cut to Sam starting his way awkwardly down the steps.
Cut to an orc in black Morgul uniform. He clutches the mithril coat in his fist.
Cut to him running to camera out of the gateway of Cirith Ungol surrounded by several of his fellows. Arrows start to zip past the camera then one by one the Morgul orcs fall, struck from behind. Other orcs bearing the Red Eye come out of the gate carrying bows. As they bend and knife each body a tall heavily armoured orc comes out. He walks up and picks up the mithril coat. He is already carrying under his arm the elf cloak bundled up, its brooch visible, wrapped around Sam’s sword.
He turns to the others: ‘These must reach Barad-dur or it’s the Black Pits for us. Follow me and watch out for the rest of those thieving scum from Morgul.’
He and the others run off and a moment later more black clad orcs look cautiously from the gate. Cut to a closer view.
One orc: ‘Don’t let them get away with that mithril coat. Get after them and then we can pay them back for what they did to Gorbag.’ They too run off.
The camera moves to the left of the tower until the steep steps at the side are seen. High up we see Sam trying to creep down without being seen.
Cut to him splayed flat against the wall near the gateway looking terrified.
Cut to a close-up: ‘Come on you sluggard! Now for it.’ Cut to Sam entering the dark arched gateway. Cut to Sam’s head, low in shot, passing the large carved figure of a grotesque three-headed vulture inside a niche in the wall. Cut to a close-up of the eyes on one head following him.
Cut to Sam, small in comparison, emerging from the archway. A bell clangs twice.
Cut to a closer view of Sam: ‘That’s done it! Now I’ve rung the door-bell. Well come on somebody! Tell Captain Shagrat that a great Elf warrior has called!’ He looks around. Cut to the courtyard and small piles of orc bodies lie about. Cut to a corner and dead orcs bearing the Red Eye lie clustered as if they were trapped. Cut to Shagrat sitting slumped against a wall, head bent forward and a spear in his belly. Cut to Gorbag stretched out on the ground, his hands around a knife hilt in his throat. Cut to Sam stepping over a body and scratching his head. Cut to a door ajar at the foot of the tower. Cut to Sam carefully entering. Cut to a dark passageway with flickering torches along the walls. Cut to Sam’s wary face looking from side to side as he passes along. Then we hear the sounds of clattering feet and Sam freezes. He fumbles at his neck and a tiny speck of white light appears.
Cut to an orc running down a wide twisting staircase to camera. Cut to the orc landing at the bottom of the steps and coming to a sudden stop. It looks up and squeals. Cut to the dark figure of Sam silhouetted by the torchlight bearing in one hand a sharply pointed blade glowing blue and a piercing white light at his throat.
Cut to the orc that stares in fright then with another squeak turns and runs up the steps again.
Cut to Sam grinning. He calls up: ‘Watch out! A great Elf warrior is coming up to skin you!’ Cut to Sam running up steps. Cut to him pausing at a landing to recover. Some orc bodies lie nearby.
Sam, through his panting: ‘Right at the top he said.’ He looks up the next flight of stairs and staggers on up.
Cut to a view from outside that covers much of the upper part of the tower. The camera zooms to a window near the top. Through the window we see Sam dragging himself slowly up.
Cut to a small room lit by torches. The camera looks across the room through a wide archway in a dividing wall towards a window on the far side. Sam’s head appears from the floor below the window and looks around. He comes up into view cautiously. The camera follows him around as he checks all the walls, looking out of the windows then frantically patting then drumming the walls.
He turns to face the centre: ‘That orc said take him to the top but he’s not here. There’s nothing.’ He still looks around. ‘What do I do now? I’ve nothing left to give any more.’ He walks to a window to the left. The glow reddens his face. ’Is it over then?’ Cut to the view from the window and we see the distant volcano still casting a dull red glare. Cut to Sam sinking down, his back sliding down the dividing wall. Fade to a longer view of Sam still sitting in the corner of the room. Dissolve over it a torch starting to gutter and smoke. Cut to Sam sitting in the corner, his face a pool of red from the window. Cut to the torch going out.
Cut back to Sam’s face: ‘This is where it ends then. I tried my best. I really did. I knew I’d go wrong. That’s Sam Gamgee for you. Now it’s the end of the Shire; the end of everything. I’ll not see Mr Frodo again.’
Fade to a distant view of Grond being pulled away from the shattered gate of Minas Tirith. Fade to Denethor laying brushwood around the body of Faramir on a slab.
Cut back to Sam: ‘I might have saved the Shire but it was too much for me. Those dear old hobbits in the Green Dragon back in Bywater.’ He wraps his arms round himself for comfort and smiles at the memory. He hums tunelessly then starts to sing softly the song we heard crossing the Marish:
‘Ho ho ho to the bottle I go
To heal my heart and drown my woe.’
He gives a wry laugh and shakes his head.
Fade to a scene from the second episode. We see Sam’s feet as he pats neatly into shape a ridge of emerging potato plants. Fade to him wheeling a barrow down the hill from Bag End in the soft twilight towards yellow windows. He is whistling a tune.
Fade back to Sam sitting against the wall and he starts to hum that tune. With a voice dry and cracked he starts to sing softly. He has to stop and swallow at one point.
‘In Western lands beneath the Sun
The flowers may rise in Spring,
The trees may bud, the waters run,
The merry finches sing.
Or there maybe ‘tis cloudless night
And swaying beeches bear
The Elven-stars as jewels white
Amid their branching hair.’

After the first two lines, fade briefly to a short fat tattooed man wearing only a kilt of foliage. He stops walking among trees and looks up and sniffs the air. Cut to a side view of a great black galley in the dark, two banks of oars pull against the water. We hear the mewing of gulls. The sails flutter and fill and foam starts at the prow of the ship. The oars rise from the water and the camera pans back to show a long line of galleys stretched out along the curves of the river.
Fade back to Sam. He is standing now and looking out of the window.
Now he sings strongly:
‘Though here at journey’s end I lie
In darkness buried deep,
Beyond all towers strong and high,
Beyond all mountains steep,
Above all shadows rides the Sun
And Stars forever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
Nor bid the Stars farewell.’
Again after the first two lines, fade to jagged red peaks against dark brown clouds. The clouds split for a moment and a solitary bright star is seen briefly then the clouds cover it. Cut to Pippin running down broad steps in an empty street.
Fade back to Sam’s face as he finishes the last two lines.

Cut to a view from inside the Gate of Minas Tirith along the causeway road filled with fires and heaps of corpses. Tiny in the distance the Witch-King approaches. Fades bring him closer to camera. The demonic horse picks its way over smaller and larger heaps of bodies, not quite taking a straight path. All is silent. Cut to a medium distance view from behind him, off to one side somewhat as he progresses to the broken Gate. Everything is still silent. He halts outside the Gate.
Cut to a white horse’s head and a hand bearing a ruby ring strokes between his ears.
Cut to Gandalf’s impassive face, lit by the motionless flames of torches set along the sides of the Gateway entrance.
Cut to a view from behind the towering black cloaked figure of the Witch-King and we see the smaller figure of Gandalf on Shadowfax alone within the Gateway.
Cut to a closer view of Gandalf on Shadowfax.
Gandalf, in a commanding and echoing voice: ‘You cannot enter here. Go back to the abyss prepared for you. Go back to the nothingness that awaits you and your Master.’

Cut to a low angled shot looking up at the flaming eyes of the horse-skull and above it the bulk of the Witch-King. He raises an arm and pulls back his hood. Between the bulky shoulders and the sharp pointed crown only dull red flames lick.
The Witch-King in deep sepulchral tones: ‘Old fool, old fool. This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain.’
He draws his thin bladed sword and lifts it up and red flames flicker up the blade.
Cut to Gandalf’s face. We hear the sound of a small gust of wind and the torches flicker. Cut to a snowy mountain peak; suddenly a beam of pink lights up one face of it. Cut to a view over the dark landscape and a tiny break of pink and gold appears on the horizon below the pall of cloud.
Cut to the cockerel in its cage that we saw on the journey into Minas Tirith. It moves and stretches up and crows. Cut to an empty street of Minas Tirith and the cock-crow echoes.
Cut back to Gandalf’s face and we hear it more softly. Gandalf tilts his head as if he is listening then looks back at the Witch-King quizzically. There is a pause. Silence. Then a faint horn call. Then another, then another then a chorus of distant horn-calls. Cut to the Witch-king. He lowers his sword and turns his horse suddenly away from the Gate. He rides off rapidly. Cut to Gandalf’s still face. Cut to black.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Feb , 2008 4:55 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Though I didn't feel I could split the previous post, nevertheless it was long so the rest of the episode has been split. Here is the middle part of the episode.......

Cut to thick woodland and to the pot-bellied man in a kilt of leaves, surrounded by others men bearing blowpipes and bows.

Ghan-buri-ghan: Horse-man, have you come into our woods to hunt us?’

Cut to Theoden: ‘We hunt only orcs and we must reach Mundburg before it burns.’

Cut to Ghan-buri-ghan: ‘Fires burn already in the Stone-City but your horse-road has many orcs upon it; many more than horse=men.’

Cut to Eomer: ‘How do you know that?’

Cut to Ghan, he narrows his eyes and scowls: ‘We are not children. I count many things. You have a score of scores counted ten times and five. They have more.’ Brief cut to Eomer frowning and moving his lips as he counts silently.
Ghan: ‘Many more orcs stand before the Stone-City. We can help you kill orcs. We know all paths. We were here before the men of the Stone-City came from the sea. Then they carved a road in these hills but now it lies forgotten. I can show you that road.’

Cut to Theoden: ‘You will have great reward for this and our friendship forever.’

Cut to Ghan giving a surly look: ‘We need no gift. Kill orcs with your bright iron. If you live, leave us and do not hunt us like beasts any more. Follow me!’ He turns.
Cut to the Rohirrim riding in file through woods. Cut to a mass of horsemen spreading out from dark woods on to an open hillside. Cut to Ghan standing before the mounted Theoden and Eomer.

Ghan: ‘Orcs shake down the stone walls with thunder. They are still busy. They will not watch for enemies behind them.’ He turns to go. Cut to the scene during Sam’s song where he pauses and sniffs. Cut to the tip of a slender fir tree bending against the dull white of the mountain tops.

Cut back to Ghan: ’I smell the sea. The wind changes.’ Cut to Ghan and the others disappearing into bushes.
Cut to Merry behind his rider in a long troop of horsemen. His rider guides his horse to ride slowly away from the troop towards the smaller company around the King’s banner.
Cut to Theoden, Eomer, Elfhelm and Grimbold.

Theoden: ‘We will soon pass the outer wall. Grimbold, take your eored to the left towards the River to stop fresh strength arriving on the field. Elfhelm, lead your eored to the right to trap the enemy against the walls where there is no escape for them. Eomer, sister-son, your eored will ride behind my banner, the White Horse of the Eorlingas. All of you, strike wherever the enemy gathers and seek out and destroy any horsemen they have. We cannot make more plans yet till we see the field.’
Then Theoden rides between his marshals to face his Riders and in a loud voice: ‘Now is the hour Riders of the Mark, sons of Eorl! Foes are before you and your homes far behind. Oaths you have taken. Now fulfil them all!’
Cut to Merry pounding up and down behind his rider. He has an arm hooked through his rider’s sword belt. Cut to a crescent of orcs watching as a stretch of wall explodes. They roar and caper then look round in sudden fright. Cut to a line of horsemen with levelled spears. The horses ride over camera to a thundering of hoofs.
Cut to Theoden and his standard-bearer cresting a ridge. He rides alone down a short way and halts as he is joined by Eomer. Behind him a long line of horsemen appear on the crest, stretching into the dark. The camera tracks along the line of riders to show the size of Theoden’s force.
Cut to Theoden’s face in close-up. Cut to the City and the fiery trenches around it. Fires burn in the first circle of the city and spots of red flame dot the rest of the blackness around the city into the distance. Cut back to Theoden. For a moment his face shows the magnitude of the task.

Theoden, softly to himself: ‘So this is where it will be.’
Cut to a view behind the line of horsemen on the ridge and again Merry’s rider moves towards the King’s banner.
Cut to the King’s banner. It stirs and flaps. Cut to the City and the fields around it and on the horizon a pink and yellow gleam is seen. Then a sharp red flash by the City walls. Cut to Theoden’s face now dimly lit by a morning’s light as a deep boom echoes. His face becomes alert and determined and alive.
Cut back to see him mounted on his horse. He draws his sword and holds it high and the new light catches it.

Theoden: ‘Arise, arise Riders of Theoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
Spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!’

He holds the last words on a long rising note. Guthlaf, his standard bearer rides down with a spear as Theoden sheathes his sword, takes up a spiral silver horn and blows a series of notes on it. His horse rears and Theoden takes the spear from Guthlaf then gallops down the hill.
Cut to Eomer. He points his sword: ‘Follow the King!’
Cut to the line of Riders on the crest and it starts to move down the slope and hundreds of horns blend into a single chorus.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Feb , 2008 1:06 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

And the episode finishes................

Cut to Merry. The camera tracks with him; he looks terrified and unstable, trying to keep hold of his rider’s sword belt. He tries to look around his rider to see where they are headed. A flurry of brief shots follow where the Rohirrim in separate groups ride down groups of orcs and men, either couching their spears or stabbing down with them; driving them into fire trenches or trapping them against the high city walls to the sound of thundering hoofs. All the while the light grows. Cut to Eomer at a halt pointing with his sword to give orders. Cut to a broad open field and in the middle distance Theoden and a dozen of his guard approach at a gallop. The sun catches his golden shield and his banner streams out.
Cut to an important and richly dressed mounted Haradrim chieftain. Near him a rider bears a standard of a black snake on a red ground. A horseman near him points his arm. The camera pulls back to show a line of mounted Haradrim drawing curved swords and breaking into a trot. Cut to Theoden still riding hard in front of his men. He lowers his lance and couches it. Cut to the camera tracking the lance-head, the background blurred with speed. A sudden crash and a confused impression of a body swept away. Cut to the chieftain on the ground, the broken spear in him. Cut to Theoden casting the broken butt down and sweeping his sword out. As the rest of his guard fall upon the Haradrim he pushes his horse through the melee.
Cut to the standard bearer of the Haradrim turning his horse as Theoden rides up behind him. He lifts the staff up to block Theoden’s sword blow but it cuts through the staff to his neck and he falls. Cut to the snake standard trampled under the horses’ hoofs in the melee.
Cut to a high shot looking down at Theoden resting and panting and regal, ringed by his guards. Were we to look hard we would see Merry and his rider at the outside of the circle. One guard is on foot walking up to Theoden and bearing aloft the banner of the Haradrim to cheers from the others. Theoden looks around him and holds up his sword in triumph to more cheers then he lowers it. One man looks up and then others do and then a grey pallor blocks out the sunlight. The men scream and their horses buck and rear up and fall or gallop off riderless. Cut to the men staggering or falling to their knees. Cut to Theoden’s face looking up in disbelief. Cut to the sky and the screen is filled with a great black winged shape and the terrible shriek of a Nazgul. Cut to Theoden trying to control his horse.

Theoden: ‘To me! To me! Fear no darkness!’ His horse rears and a black javelin strikes its flank and it tumbles over and Theoden vanishes from view.
Cut to a view of the collapsed horse with Theoden caught under it. Two great scaly talons descend and dig into the horse’s body. Then either side leathery wings drop to shade it and a horrible vulture head comes down and rips at the horse’s neck.
Cut to a view from further back and the black bulk and sharply pointed crown of the Witch-King is seen in the centre of the quivering black wings. He slides from the creatures' back and turns to face the camera. Within the dull red flames that divide the crown from the shoulders are two bright red eyes. He walks slowly around in a wide circle about the black winged beast clubbing the dazed guards one by one with a sharp tined mace.
Cut to the legs of the Witch-King as he finishes his last killing and turns to the body of Theoden, now more visible below the folded wings of the beast.
Cut to a full view of the Witch-King standing by the horse.
Cut to Merry on all fours beside the body of a horse. Cut to his face. He gags and almost vomits.
Merry, whispering: ‘King’s man! King’s man! You must stay by him. As a father you shall be to me, I told him.’ He shakes his head and squeezes his eyes shut.
Cut back to Merry on all fours and he tries to crouch out of sight. Some yards beyond him and the cover of the horse the back of the Witch-King towers up.
Cut back to Merry’s face still facing down to the ground. He is shaking his head and weeping quietly and tears drop off his face. As he hears a voice he stops and opens his eyes.

A sharp piercing voice: ‘Begone foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!’
Merry turns his head to look towards the back of the Witch-King: ‘Dernhelm?’
Cut to a view from behind of a single Rohirrim warrior looking up at the Witch-King. His sword is drawn, his helmet is lost and above the shield slung on his back we see his golden head. The fell beast stretches out its neck and watches him beadily.

The Witch-King in a deep slow sepulchral voice: ‘Come not between the Nazgul and his prey or he will not slay you in your turn but bear you away to the houses of Lamentation, beyond all darkness; where thy flesh will be devoured and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.’

The warrior takes a step forward: ‘Do what you will but I will hinder it if I may.’

With-King: ‘Hinder me? Thou fool! No man may hinder me.’

Cut to a close-up of Merry again still facing the ground. We hear a musical laughter of amusement and Merry opens his eyes wide in shock. He kneels upright to look.
Cut to the warrior looking up to camera, laughing as if at a joke then turning grim. In an action like the Witch-King pulling back his cowl when he confronted Gandalf, Eowyn raises her arm and pulls out her long golden hair and shakes it about her shoulders.
Eowyn: ‘But no living man am I! You look upon a woman, Eowyn, Eomund’s daughter.’ A rasp enters her voice. She levels her sword .’You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone if you be not deathless.’ She steps forward again. ’For living or dark undead I will smite you if you touch him!’
Cut to Merry kneeling upright, tears in his eyes and shaking his head. He draws his sword and looks down at it. For a brief moment we see overlaid a vision of Tom Bombadil listening to the sword. Then it fades and the camera comes up to Merry’s face and he whispers: ‘I cannot let her die alone.’ The camera pulls back and he rises into a crouch.
Cut to the vast black naked monstrous vulture. It screeches, spreads its wings and launches itself at camera, talons outstretched.
Cut to Eowyn sidestepping and delivering a two handed cut to the neck and severing the head. She steps back as the creature convulses and spouts black blood. Cut to Eowyn as she slides her shield round from her back and she raises her blade again. Cut to the Witch-King still looming and motionless and dwarfing Eowyn. Then with a scream he rushes forward and beats down ferociously on to Eowyn’s upheld shield with his mace. The shield splinters into pieces and Eowyn is crushed to the ground. She looks up at him, helpless but defiant. The Witch-King pauses a moment then slowly raises his mace as Eowyn looks up at him.
Cut to Merry running in slow motion. The camera pans to follow him. He reaches the back of the Nazgul, lifts the bottom of the black mail shirt with one hand and stabs upwards as hard as he can. There is a red flash and Merry screams and clutches his sword arm and falls back. The camera travels slowly up the Witch-King’s body up to the mace held high in the air. Then it follows the mace-head down, still in slow motion as it misses Eowyn on her knees. Cut to the Witch-King sprawled on one knee but still dwarfing Eowyn.
Cut to Merry in real time, clutching his arm: ‘Eowyn! Eowyn! Now!’
Cut to Eowyn, dazed and on her knees, supporting herself with her sword arm on the ground. She staggers up to her feet and sways, looking at the tumbled Nazgul, then with a final twist of her body she thrusts into the empty space beneath the crown. She too screams with pain. She sways again then tumbles forward on to the black body and it collapses to the ground and we see Merry revealed behind. A moment of silence and stillness and then a low moaning starts and gets louder, a cry full of fear. The camera pans upwards into the sky as the moan continues then it fades to silence.
Cut to a view from above of Eowyn stretched out motionless upon the black cloak. The camera pulls back to show the corpse of the black beast and next to it the white horse then it pulls further back to show the circle of scattered bodies of the King’s guard.
Cut to Merry, holding his arm, kneeling down beside Theoden who is still trapped under his horse.
Cut to a close-up of Theoden. Merry’s hand is stroking the king's hair and his eyes open.
Theoden: ‘You can do nothing Master Holbytla, my body is broken. Is Eomer here? He must be King next…..... No longer will I be ashamed to meet my fathers for I felled the Black Serpent. A grim morn and a glad day and a golden sunset.’ His eyes close and tears drop on to him.
He opens his eyes again: ‘Now I shall never sit in Meduseld and hear your herb-lore.’ He smiles. We hear a thundering of hoofs. Cut to a troop of riders halting and Eomer jumping down from his horse. Cut to Eomer and another rider kneeling by Theoden. Merry backs away from everyone until he is out of the scene.
Cut again to Theoden’s face: ‘Eomer? Is that you? My eyes darken. Hail King of the Mark. Ride to victory!’ Then softer, ‘Bid your sister farewell.’ His face slows down and his eyes glaze.
Cut to Eomer straightening and his men stand around him. He bows his head for a moment then looks up.
He holds his hand up: ‘Mighty was the fallen; meet was his ending!
Bear him with honour from the field before it is ridden over. Yea and all his brave knights too.’ He walks over and picks up the banner of the Eorlingas. ‘Guthlaf, his banner bearer.’ Eomer walks to a body. ’Deorwine, chief of his guard.’ Eomer goes to lift the body from the black cloak. Cut to Eowyn rolling on to her back, her golden hair spreading out.
Cut to Eomer standing up swiftly in horror with an involuntary cry.
He kneels again: ’Eowyn? What madness and devilry is this? How came you here?’ He stands again and gives a heart rending cry upwards.
The camera pans as he runs to his horse and leaps upon it.
Cut to a close-up as he looks from one side to the other frantically and bellows: ‘Death! Death take us all! Death!’ He gallops forward and the camera is filled with horses passing. A chorus of cries thunder out. ‘Death!’
Cut to Merry on his own watching the Rohirrim ride away. He sways and still clutches his arm. He wipes his eyes with his left arm. The camera pulls away until he is small in the wreckage of battle.
The scene fades to black.
Closing credits.

Last edited by ToshoftheWuffingas on Thu 21 Feb , 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Feb , 2008 1:43 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Finally! An adaptation that has the correct dialogue for one of my favourite confrontations in English literature! And no cheesy Star Wars tributes! :cheers:

P.S. can you re-instate the word "but" before "No living man am I!"? Pretty please? :pray:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Feb , 2008 3:14 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Pesky purists! :suspicious:

*sprinkles magic purist powder over text*

I probably left it out as the 'but' s seemed to be multiplying. I agree it works there though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Feb , 2008 3:24 pm
Aspiring to heresy

:P

Now that I have your attention, what are you doing early April?

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Mar , 2008 10:21 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Sorry I didn't reply earlier Jude. I'll let you know about April. It isn't always simple for me to get away.

There's been a bit of a delay continuing the story, partly because I had (nice) family events for a week but mainly because it is a tricky part of the story with many themes that have to mesh and justice to be done to battle scenes. I also need to write ahead so I get the balance right.
Anyway here is the start of the next episode.....

A dark mausoleum filled with rows of stone tables and effigies. In the foreground the body of Faramir rests on a stone table packed around with bundles of wood. Denethor kneels by the side. Cut to Pippin running up the narrow empty street. The opening credits start, JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings Episode Twenty Five: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields etc. The credits pause as Pippin speaks to the guard by the small door in the wall.
Pippin, breathlessly: ‘The Lord Denethor is not himself. Allow no fire through this door.’

The guard: ‘Are you the master of this city, Halfling? I follow only the Lord Denethor’s commands.’
The credits resume as Pippin runs past the ancient dead tree in the Court of the Citadel. They pause again as he passes another guard and Beregond calls out.

Beregond: ‘Master Peregrin. I heard Faramir lies in the Silent Street. He is dead then.’

Pippin halts suddenly: ‘Oh Beregond! I am glad it’s you. Faramir still lives but his father will burn him. Can you stop it?’

Beregond: ‘I may not leave my post.’

Pippin: ‘You have to choose between orders and the life of Faramir. I think Denethor has turned mad in his grief. I have to find Gandalf.’ He runs on.
Any remaining credits play as Pippin runs down the slopes and steps of the City. Cut to him running along a burning street when a sudden boom makes him stagger and catch himself against a wall. Cut to Pippin from behind at the end of a dark street; an open square beyond him. Another great boom and the buildings in the square light up with a red flash. Cut to Pippin peering around a wall.
Cut to Gandalf from behind on Shadowfax, still within the archway of the Gate. Beyond him we see the tall figure of the Witch-King turn his demonic horse and gallop away down the corpse strewn road. We hear the faint horn-calls of the Rohirrim. Gandalf moves Shadowfax forward then stops him and looks back over his shoulder. Cut to a close-up of his face.

Gandalf: ‘Who is there? Come forward.’
Cut to Pippin emerging from the shadows behind a wall.
Cut to Gandalf, fiercely: ‘Why are you here? You are not permitted to
leave the Citadel.’
Cut to Pippin running up to Gandalf’s horse and looking outwards past him, his face shining.

Pippin: ‘The horns of Rohan! They have come after all.’ His face turns to urgency and he looks up. ‘Gandalf, Denethor is out of his mind. He will burn Faramir alive if he is not stopped. Can you help?’

Cut to Gandalf looking ou towards the Pelennor: ‘I have no time. The Lord of the Nazgul is out there and may yet bring ruin on us.’

Cut to Pippin reaching up to Gandalf’s leg: ‘No one else can save him.’

Gandalf: ‘If I try then others will die. How can the Enemy do his work in the very heart of our stronghold? Very well, up you come.’ Gandalf reaches his hand down.
Cut to Shadowfax galloping along a street. Cut to Gandalf meeting a mounted Imrahil.
Gandalf, shouting: ‘Rohan has come! Take command of the forces of the City!’ They gallop past each other.
Cut to Shadowfax riding past the dead tree in the Court. Cut to the open gate in the wall and the body of the guard stretched on the ground. A brief cut to Gandalf and Pippin hurrying down the narrow street to sounds of shouts and clashing blades.
Cut to Beregond defending the door of the mausoleum against men with swords and torches. We hear shouts of ‘Traitor!’ and ‘Outlaw!’
The door behind Beregond opens and Denethor comes out bearing a sword.

Denethor: ‘Must I slay this renegade myself?’ He raises his sword. The camera pulls back to show Gandalf hurrying in from one side. He stretches out his arm and with a small white flash Denethor’s sword flies from his hand. Gandalf turns and sweeps his arm towards the assailants. A brief cut to them sprawling backwards across the street.

Cut back to Gandalf in fury: ‘Is there not war enough outside these walls? Where is your son?’

Cut to a distracted Denethor pointing inside: ‘He lies within burning. We shall all burn soon.’ Gandalf appears and pushes him aside and enters.
Cut to Faramir on the stone table, faggots piled around him. Cut to a close-up of his face, still shivering.
Fade to Faramir back in the dark passageway, pulling vainly on the handle of the door that is rimmed by golden light. Again he turns. Down the passageway a stately woman in a blue gown approaches, pauses then turns to enter a side door.

Cut to Faramir, muffled: ‘Mother, help me!’ Cut to Faramir running in slow motion down the passageway. Again the camera follows him into the room. The woman in the blue gown faces away. Faramir’s hand goes up to her long golden tresses.
Faramir: ‘Help me Mother, I am lost!’ The tresses pull away in his hand revealing a death’s head.
Cut to Gandalf lifting Faramir down in his arms. Faramir calls out weakly, ‘Mother!’

Cut to Denethor, his hand to his mouth: ‘He still remembers her! Do not take him from me.’

Cut to Gandalf, still holding Faramir: ‘He must seek healing first and maybe not find it. Your duty is to go out to the battle for your City. You know this in your heart. Would you be a heathen king who murders his family to ease his own death?’
Cut to Gandalf laying Faramir down outside. Denethor follows him out. Cut to a close-up of Denethor wavering then he shakes his head. The camera pulls back a bit.

Denethor: ‘Did you think me blind? Your hope is mere ignorance. The Enemy has found it! You may win that battle outside for an hour or so but you have seen but one finger of the strength of Sauron. All the East is moving against us.’ He pulls back his cloak and takes the Palantir from a satchel at his hip. He brandishes it. ’I have seen it! Even this new wind from the south speeds the Black Fleet of Umbar up the river to the battlefield. I know your mind Mithrandir. You would rule behind a ragged usurper from the north. You left that Halfling by my side as your spy but I will be no man’s fool. If I cannot be Lord of this City I will have naught; nether life diminished nor love halved nor honour abated!’
The camera follows him as he darts forward and picks up a brand guttering on the cobbles. He turns and swiftly goes back in the mausoleum. Cut to Denethor inside and he tosses the torch on to the slab and it blazes up immediately. Cut to Denethor walking grimly to camera, the flames lighting up his body as he gets nearer. He holds the Palantir in both hands. He walks until his face and eyes fill the screen. Cut to Pippin looking up to Gandalf as a great cry is heard inside the mausoleum. A very brief cut to Denethor in flames standing upright on the slab, the Palantir held up above his head. Cut to the Palantir held between two hands, the flames reflected on its surface. The globe slips down between the hands and falls.

Cut to Gandalf on the steps outside. He looks down to Faramir, Beregond is kneeling by him.
Gandalf: ‘Beregond, but for your treason, Faramir, Captain of the White Tower would also lie burning inside there. Take these men and carry your Captain to the Houses of Healing.’
Cut to the group passing the fountain and the dead tree. They halt as the long drawn out moan of the dying Witch-King is heard. The sun comes out and lights up all the white stonework. Cut to Gandalf walking to a vantage point and looking out. The sun and wind catch his robes and light him up. Cut to a close-up of his eyes searching this way and that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Mar , 2008 3:52 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Here is the middle part of the episode...........

Cut to Merry by himself among the dead horses and men. A fence of spears has been erected in a circle. Merry looks around and walks over and picks up his small shield and slings it over his back. He has to use his left hand and his right hangs down. He picks up his sword. Cut to the blade in his hand. It melts into holes like a thin slab of ice.
Cut to Merry’s face, deadened and blank: ‘Thank you Tom.’, he whispers.
Cut to Merry walking behind a small horse-drawn cart that is surrounded by warriors and banners. The City is in the distance uphill. Merry can’t keep up and he stops to ease himself as the cart gets further away.
Cut to Imrahil leading a large troop of horsemen to camera. Cut to Imrahil halting by the bier. He dismounts to honour the king but looks up. Cut to the two bodies of Theoden and Eowyn in their armour.

Cut back to Imrahil: ‘Have even the women of the Rohirrim ridden out to our aid?’ He bends over her and listens then puts the vambrace on his arm close to her lips. He turns and points to his arm. ‘Look closely! She is not dead. Bear her to the City swiftly!’ Cut to Imrahil mounted again and waving his force forward. The cavalry start moving and fill the screen.
Fade to Merry trudging on his own. A gust of wind catches his cloak then rain starts to fall. (There will be no hackneyed cracks of thunder!!)
The camera sweeps up from him and over the fields to horsemen in the distance. Cut to a succession of brief shots of the Rohirrim attacking men and orcs. We see lines of orcs run between troops of horsemen or in front of camera to give a sense of chaos. We see a Rohan warrior surrounded by foes. His horse rises and kicks out with all four legs. Cut to a column of infantry marching with speed out of the City Gate. Cut to the bulky mounted figure of Forlong with his great white beard leading out his cheering halberdiers.
Cut to barges landing at the River bank and more orcs pouring out. Cut to a tall, grotesquely armoured and helmeted figure bearing the Death’s Head sign of Minas Morgul on his surcoat stepping ashore and looking about. Others follow him off the barge and he gives them orders and they go off in different directions.
Cut to a platform being hauled up on to the back of a mumak. Cut to an armoured mumak thundering through lines of men. Cut to green clad archers running up and shooting arrows up at the mumak’s head. One is lifted up and thrown down and stamped upon.
Cut to Grimbold and Rohirrim near the River held back by a line of pikes. A scaled troll walks through the ranks of pikemen and clubs Grimbold from his horse. Arrows and javelins bounce off it as it bends down to bite at Grimbold’s throat. It stands up again with a bloody maw and roars.
Cut to Forlong on his horse surrounded by axemen in Eastern looking armour. We see him tumble from his horse.
Cut to Eomer and Elfhelm on horseback by the banner of Eorl.

Elfhelm: ‘Grimbold has fallen and we have not won the River crossings. The Enemy’s strength still comes on to the field.’

Eomer looks about him: ‘We can ride no further for the quays of the Harlond are close.’(A brief cut to the jetties and wharves along the River bank and beyond them the River stretching away.)
Eomer turns to his standard bearer: ‘Make the call for a shield wall and get the horses inside it. I will make a last stand on this hill.’
Fade to Imrahil and his cavalry pushing against a mass of the enemy. The camera rises and far beyond, over the dense throng of Mordor we see the long line of the shields of the Rohirrim and above them their banners. The camera zooms steadily towards them. Cut to the double-ranked shields. Javelins, stones, arrows and hatchets bounce off or stick in them. Cut to Eomer again and his banner flying behind him. He looks around at his men and smiles grimly.
Eomer:
‘Out of doubt, out of the dark to the day’s rising.
(Cut for this line to the White Horse banner of Eorl rippling in the wind)
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing. (Cut back to Eomer’s grim face)
To hope’s end I rode and to heart’s breaking (he turns his gaze)
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall.’
A pause then the camera follows his stare to the land falling down to the jetties of the Harlond. Stretching along the line of the River are scores of high black galleys.
Fade to black.

Fade in to a small round dim room. The camera travels around scattered debris and ordure on the floor till it reaches a pile of rags. We realise a small pale naked body is visible in the gloom. Cut to a closer view and we see the figure has covered his head with his arms as if to block out everything. We hear the sound of bolts being slid. Cut to a trap-door rising and an ugly orc face appears lit from below. He rises up with a lantern. Cut to the backs of his bandy legs. Beyond them we see the unmoving naked figure. By the side of the legs an arm hangs down with a whip in its hand, the thong coiling in the mess. We hear the orc’s voice.
Snaga: ‘I heard you squeaking just now. What have you got to sing about? You haven’t long to live in peace. It’s off to Barad-dur for you before soon. Now keep your trap shut!’
The whip is raised out of sight then lands on Frodo’s back. Frodo cries out, jerks and rolls into a ball.
Two hobbit legs appear behind the orc. The whip is jerked back out of sight for a second blow then a severed arm drops bloodily to the floor still bearing the whip. Cut to the maimed orc spinning around screeching to face a terrible Sam with a shining blue blade. It runs and stumbles around the chamber away from Sam. Cut to Sam from behind as he delivers a thrust downwards twice then he turns.
Cut to Frodo still rolled up as Sam falls to his knees next to him and embraces him.

Sam: ‘Mr Frodo my dear. It’s Sam. I’ve come.’
Cut to Frodo’s face over Sam’s shoulder. He unclenches his eyes.

Frodo: ‘There was an orc with a whip and it turns into Sam. I have had horrible dreams. Was that you singing Sam or was that a dream?’
Cut to Sam looking down on Frodo’s naked back. A purulent yellow circle on his neck is ringed with deep red. The camera travels down to the weals across his flank and back. Cut to Sam squeezing his eyes tight.

Sam: ‘Yes Mr Frodo, that was me. I’d given up hope. Almost.’
Cut to a side view of the two as Sam pulls away to look into Frodo’s face.

Frodo: ‘I fell into foul dreams but when I awoke it was worse. Orcs were all around me. They stripped me and questioned me till I thought I’d go mad. I can never forget it.’ Sam puts his finger gently on Frodo’s lips

Sam: ‘You won’t if you talk about it. Now we’d better get away from here before we see some more.. Do you think you can walk?’
Cut to Frodo rising carefully, his arm over Sam’s shoulder. Cut again to the livid yellow and red wound on his neck and the whip marks criss-crossing his back and buttocks and legs.

Frodo: ‘I think I can walk though something has hurt my neck badly. Are we safe?’
Cut to Sam walking Frodo slowly around the chamber: ‘I think the orcs quarrelled about your things Mr Frodo and took to killing each other for them. All I found were bodies. I expect more will turn up soon so we’d better find some clothes for you. You can’t walk through Mordor in nobbut your skin.’ Sam attempts a little laugh.
Cut to Frodo reaching out and grabbing Sam’s shoulders.

Frodo: ‘They took everything Sam! Do you understand? Everything!’
Frodo releases his hold and clutches his own arms and looks away from Sam’s face.
‘I failed Sam. Do you realise? Sauron will get the Ring soon. Even if we leave here we can’t escape. No one can escape. Even if all the Elves cross over the Sea it will not be wide enough to keep him out.’

Cut to Sam smiling with satisfaction: ‘No, they didn’t take everything Mr Frodo. Our quest hasn’t failed – not yet. I took it, begging your pardon, to keep it safe.’ Sam starts to pull the chain out from inside his shirt.

Cut to Frodo turning back to Sam: ‘You’ve got it? Sam, you are a marvel!’ Frodo stretches his hand out and snaps his fingers.’Here, give it to me! You can’t have it. Give it to me at once!’

Cut to Sam staring at the Ring swinging in front of his face: ‘Alright Mr Frodo. But you are in Mordor now and soon you’ll see the Fiery Mountain and all. You’ll find the Ring very heavy and hard to bear. I will help you carry if you like.’

Cut to Frodo baring his teeth and snarling: ‘How dare you! You thief!’
He steps forward arm stretched out and comes back with the Ring and chain in his fist. He looks at it triumphantly. The camera pulls in to his face and eyes. Then he looks across and he blinks and the camera pulls back to show his awareness.
Cut to Sam on his knees sobbing his heart out. Cut back to Frodo’s face and tears come into his eyes. Cut to Frodo kneeling with his arm around Sam.
Frodo: ‘What have I said? After all you have done! Forgive me Sam. It is the terrible power of this Ring. I wish it had never been found. Please don’t mind me. I have to carry this to the end. It cannot be altered.’
Sam looks up trying to control himself and wiping his eyes with his sleeve.

Sam, talking through sniffs: ‘I understand Mr Frodo. I know what it feels like now.’ He looks around. ‘I can still help. If we are in Mordor we have to dress up in Mordor fashion. Look, put my cloak around you for now while I try to find something for us to wear.’
Fade to Frodo in the cloak sitting with his knees drawn up and looking at the Ring. As the trapdoor rises and Sam comes up to scatter orc gear on the floor, Frodo hides the Ring again.
Cut to Frodo and Sam both in orc armour and grinning to each other.

Sam: ‘A perfect little orc if I may be so bold.’

Frodo laughs: ‘Have you enquired about inns on the way?’

Sam: ‘Bless me sir, I forgot about food and drink. That could be a bad business.’

Frodo: ‘I have been picking up the lembas that the orcs threw down. They could not stand the smell of it. But they slashed open my water flask to search it. We shall have to be sparing with water.’
Cut to the two hobbits with small shields on their backs at the Gateway. Sam starts to walk into the dark archway when with several shrieks six vulture heads dart out and snap at him. Sam jumps backwards in shock. Cut to the heads moving like cobras. Cut to the two hobbits looking at each other in fright.
Frodo: ‘Do you still have the starglass Sam?’ Sam pulls out the spark of light.

Sam: Gilthoniel! A Elbereth!’

Frodo by his side: ‘Aiya elenion ancalima!’ The spark swells in light.
Cut to the writhing heads and they freeze in mid motion and the two hobbits run, ducking under them. Cut to the hobbits running out of the Gateway as a bell starts clanging.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Mar , 2008 3:25 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Time to finish the episode. Now we enter Mordor......

Cut to a narrow bridge spanning a small valley. We see in the gloom the tiny figures of the hobbits start to run across it.
Cut to a near shot of the two upon the bridge. Beyond them in the distance are the dots of red torches.

Cut to Frodo’s face: ‘Real orcs would be running to the tower, not away from it. We have to get off this bridge.’ Cut to the torches closer.

Cut to Sam: ‘We’ll need wings then.’ Cut to the torches. Cut to two sets of knuckles on the parapet. They vanish. Cut to the side view of the bridge again as torches bob along in the opposite direction amid a clamour.
Cut to Frodo and Sam among arching brambles. Sam is sucking the back of his hand and Frodo is trying to disentangle himself.
Sam: ‘These thorns must be a foot long. Even orc mail doesn’t keep them out. Just what I’d expect to grow in Mordor.’
Cut to them free of the thorns and looking about.
Sam: ‘Where to now Mr Frodo?’

Frodo: ‘I was shown a map of Mordor in Rivendell. We must get away from this road quickly. North up this valley leads eventually to the Black Gates. It’s the way they’ll least expect us to take.’
Brief cuts of the two scrambling and tumbling down a slope scattered with dead trees. Cut to the two in a broad dry river bed. Frodo is lagging behind Sam who stops and waits.

Frodo, panting: ‘It’s no good. I can’t manage it with this mail shirt on.’

Sam: ‘But you need something to stop a stab in the dark. Gollum is still about somewhere for one thing.’

Cut to Frodo’s face. He shakes his head wearily: ‘Sam dear lad. I am tired, weary and I haven’t a hope left but I have to go on trying. This extra weight is killing me. Please don’t think I am ungrateful for your foul work among those bodies. Ah Sam. This Ring is so heavy.’ (Frodo looks upwards) ‘I see it in my mind all the time like a great wheel of fire.’

Cut to Sam: ‘Why bless you, I’d carry you on my own back if I could.’
Cut to Frodo discarding his mail shirt. They walk on. Cut to the two as they walk side by side.

Frodo: ‘This blind dark has got into my heart. As I lay in prison I tried to remember the Brandywine River and Woody End and the water running through the mill at Hobbiton but I can’t see them now.’

Sam: ‘You talking of water sir. If Shagrat himself was to offer me a glass of water I’d shake his hand. We are going to be in a bad way without it. It’s a long way to Lorien but if the Lady Galadriel could hear us I’d ask her for clean water and plain daylight, better than any jewels, begging her pardon.’ Sam sighs and they carry on, heads down. Fade out.
Fade in to the orc armour among the stones. A thin bare arm reaches out and pulls it. The camera moves to the side and Gollum turns his malicious face to camera. Fade to black, his luminous eyes fading last.
The burning spinning wheel appears in the darkness filling the screen.

Fade in to a jagged skyline of bleak peaks. Above them swirling clouds break to show clear sky. Cut to Frodo and Sam sheltering. The only colours are shades of grey. Sam stands up enthusiastically.
Sam: ‘Look at it! The wind has changed. Something’s happening and his darkness is breaking up. Sauron is not having it all his own way. Does that give you some hope Mr Frodo? ‘

Frodo: ‘No, not much Sam.’
Cut to them walking along the river bed in drear light. Stumps of dead trees line the bank. Sam looks to one side taps Frodo’s arm and points. Cut to a narrow crack in the rocky bank and a trickle of water runs off a mat of moss. Cut to Frodo drinking from the flask as Sam washes his face and hands in the meagre flow.

Sam: ‘First light and then water. If ever I see the Lady again I will tell her.’
Cut to two orcs, one a large bulky armoured orc, the other smaller one, a small bow on his back is bent to the ground sniffing. They stop.

The sniffing orc whines: ‘I’ve worn my nose out on these stones and lost the trail.’

Soldier orc: ‘Your snotty nose is not much use. What are we looking for? First the bosses say it’s a big Elf in bright armour, then it’s a sort of small dwarf-man, then it’s a pack of rebel orcs.’

Small orc: ‘Small wonder there’s bad news from the battles the way you soldiers carry on. Your tower’s been raided, the garrison killed or run away scared and a prisoner’s missing.’ He spits.

Soldier orc: ‘I’ll stick you if you don’t shut your mouth. That’s filthy rebel talk.’

Small orc: ‘I’ll just think it then. It’s no use. I can’t find the trail because that skinny sneaking creature dragged that mail shirt all over the place. I’ve had enough, I’m going back to my pack.’ He starts to walk off.

Soldier orc: ‘If you desert I’ll give your number to the Nazgul.’

The small orc turns and screeches: ‘You can’t do your job or even stick by your own people. Go to your filthy Shriekers. They’ll freeze the flesh off you if the enemy doesn’t get them first. I hear their number one got done in.’
The soldier orc snarls and gets to throw his spear but takes an arrow in his throat. Cut to the small orc scampering away.
Fade to a long column of small orcs marching briskly on a road beside a cliff face.
Cut to Frodo and Sam picking their way over rough ground as the light fades again.

Sam: ’Captain Faramir’s food is almost gone. The water won’t last long neither. We’ve got to eat less or move a bit quicker.’

Frodo: ‘I’ll try and be a bit quicker Sam.’

Sam points: ‘There’s a road up there of sorts. I reckon we should take it and chance our luck, if there is any luck in Mordor. The speed we are going the food won’t last out. Up there we could make more of a dash.’

Frodo: ‘All right Sam, you’ll have to lead me. But I can’t dash. I’ll plod along after you.’

Cut to the back of the orc column now carrying torches in the failing light. Large orcs at the back roar and flick whips.
‘You’re late! Hurry you slugs!’
Cut to Frodo and Sam clambering up on to the road. They look up and down it cautiously then start to walk. A brief fade of them walking along; the road now is skirted by a precipice. Cut to the orc troop and the torches and the sound of their trampling and panting. Cut back to Frodo and Sam looking back then looking around for escape.
Frodo: Trapped at last!’

Fade to black and the burning circle appears again and remains as the closing credits run.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Mar , 2008 4:49 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

A new episode starts..........

The first circle of Minas Tirith. Sunlight glistens through a heavy downpour of rain. Steam and smoke rise from burnt buildings.
We hear Eomer’s voice: ‘Out of doubt, out of the dark to the days rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.’
Cut to the arch of the Gateway with the shattered gate in ruins and a narrow view of the desolation outside. The opening credits come up; JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, Episode Twenty Six: The Black Fleet etc. The camera moves through the Gate. We see the remains of the siege: Grond tumbled to one side, the burnt out siege towers, men levering the trebuchets into the burning trenches, piled corpses of men and orcs. The camera moves down the slope between an avenue of burnt out stumps of trees. It comes to a small group of riders bearing banners around a small horse drawn cart. Cut to the bodies of Theoden and Eowyn jolting about on the cart.
Eomer’s voice again: ‘To hope’s end I rode and to heart’s breaking.’
Cut to the camera continuing its journey down the road. A long way down we see a small figure. The camera comes up to Merry trudging alone in the churned mud and holding his right arm. Cut to a close view and his blank face stares downwards. Cut back to a longer view and the camera rises above him and travels over the fields, over burnt out farmhouses. We start to hear distant shouts and clatter. We pass above a mumak, surrounded by orcs and men. The camera comes up to a line of cavalry and the blue and white banner of Dol Amroth arrayed against pikemen. Beyond the pikes the forces of Mordor stretch out. The roar and clang of battle is still muted and distant. The camera continues over the forces of Mordor till we come to a long shield wall on a hill surrounded by a sea of orcs. At the top a small group of men stand by the banner of Eorl.
Cut to Eomer, Elfhelm and others all looking grimly in the same direction. The camera pans around to the quays along the River. Coming up to the quays is a long line of scores of immense black galleys, their oars rising up.
Eomer’s voice again: ‘Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall.’
Cut to a long view of troops swarming off the galleys and forming into ordered companies of foot soldiers with mounted captains.
Cut to the tall grotesquely armoured figure bearing the Death’s Head of Morgul on his surcoat. He is on the quay with an entourage of lesser commanders behind him and he is looking up.

Gothmog: ‘I am Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul. I have taken command of the forces of Lord Sauron the Great. Corsairs of Umbar, you are late to this battle. If you came for plunder, first destroy those horsemen.’ He swings an arm to indicate.
‘Who is the commander of this fleet?’
Cut to the galley; a wide ramp connects it to the jetty. The camera travels slowly up the ramp to show a dark cloaked and hooded figure upon a horse on deck. Cut to a closer view and we can just see an Elven brooch on the cloak. The cloak is pulled back to show a green eagle gem borne on the breast. It catches the light. The camera travels up to Aragorn’s face.

Aragorn: ‘Elessar the Elfstone!’
Cut to Gothmog. An arrow hits between his cheekguards flinging him back violently. A rapid pan back to Legolas already stringing another arrow. Cut to the commanders of Mordor on the quay falling to a cloud of arrows. Cut to the foc’sle of the galley and Halbarad unfurls the black banner bearing in white glittering gems the stars, crown and tree. We hear a fanfare on a high E trumpet.
Cut to Aragorn drawing Anduril and pointing forward with it.
A long drawn out cry: ‘Elendil!’
Cut to his horse leaping down the ramp in slow motion. Cut to the oarsmen inside the galley rising from their benches and cheering. Cut to the massed companies on the quays cheering and lowering their spears and advancing. Cut to Gimli jumping down from the galley, axe in hand. He looks around eagerly then raises his axe above his head and runs off camera. We hear ‘Khazad ai menu’
Cut to three galleys rowing up the River towards a line of barges near the ruined bridges at Osgiliath. In several short cuts we see them ram and sink the barges one by one.
Cut to Eomer and his marshals shading their eyes into the sun. Eomer laughs and tosses his sword in the air. Cut to the sword spinning as it drops until a hand grasps the hilt.
Cut to a wedge of men pushing through a press of orcs towards the shield wall. The banner of Aragorn is close to the front but at the tip is a tall figure whose sword goes up and down. Cut to a close view of Aragorn as he reaches the shield wall. It opens up like two gates and Eomer stands inside facing him. A cheer goes up from the Rohirrim. Cut to Aragorn leaning on his bloodied sword and panting. He looks up sideways with a grim smile.

Aragorn: ‘Did I not say at the Hornburg that we should meet again, even though all the forces of Mordor lay between us?’

Cut to Eomer clasping Aragorn then standing back: ‘Never was a meeting of friends more joyful. But much loss and sorrow has befallen us.’

Aragorn lifts his sword: ‘Then let us avenge it ere we speak of it.’
Cut to Legolas on horseback shooting arrow after arrow. Cut to Elrohir on horseback sweeping two long swords to either side of his horse. Cut to a troll with a war hammer lumbering as men scatter before him. The camera pulls back to show Elladan standing in its path holding a spear ready. The Elf thrusts the spear up into the troll’s open maw then sidesteps calmly as the troll crashes to the ground. Cut to a line of orcs running and squealing to camera. They run past it and we see Gimli chasing them, axe high in the air. Cut to a long phalanx of spearmen. A man on a horse rides before them and a drummer keeps the time of their march. Small groups of orcs scatter in front of them in different directions. Cut to the banks of the River crowded with orcs. They start to fall or jump in until we see the line of spearmen driving them. Cut to the River crowded with bodies moving in the flow.
Cut to a low sun over a corpse-strewn ground. A group of soldiers walk around spearing bodies. Cut to Grimbold stretched out, his throat bloody. Cut to Forlong’s body surrounded by the bodies of his enemies. Cut to a burnt tree. Halbarad sits against it dead and his armour all bloody. Cut to the ring of spears and the corpse of the dead fell beast.
Cut to Merry still trudging slowly, passing Grond without noticing. Carts with the wounded pass him. Cut to Merry walking blankly in a chaotic crowded street. He tumbles over a kerb and tries to rise hampered by his useless arm. Cut to Merry entering a narrow dark cul de sac. He looks around then sinks down on a step and his head droops. Cut to the entrance to the alley. Pippin stands there outlined by a red sunlight.
Cut to Pippin standing by Merry: ‘Merry, oh Merry! Thank goodness I have found you! You have taken a wrong turning.’

Merry looks up and starts to cry: ‘Where are Eowyn and the King? I tried to follow them.

Pippin: ‘They were taken up to the Citadel. Gandalf sent me to look for you. Are you wounded? ‘

Merry: ‘I can’t use this arm since I stabbed him. My sword burnt away Pippin.’

Pippin: ‘They should never have left you to walk here but so much has happened that a hobbit is easily overlooked.’

Merry: ‘Oh Pippin! He overlooked me – no, I can’t speak of it. It’s going dark and my arm is so cold.’ Cut to Pippin supporting Merry as they leave the alley. Cut to Pippin and Merry approaching a black tunnel in the pier of rock. Cut to Merry stopping as the shadow falls on his face. He looks up.
Merry: ‘Are you going to bury me?’ He starts to sink down.

Pippin looks horrified: ‘No indeed! No! No! We are going to the Houses of Healing.’ Cut to Gandalf appearing out of the darkness of the tunnel, bending down and lifting Merry in his arms.

Gandalf: ‘I will take him Pippin. He should have been borne here in honour.’ Gandalf turns and disappears again into the darkness.
Fade to black.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 26 Mar , 2008 4:54 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

And the middle part of the episode............

Fade to Aragorn, Eomer and Imrahil on horseback by a large tent. Aragorn dismounts and gives the reins to a servant.
Aragorn: ‘I will not enter the City till the Steward calls me. I will bring no discord while this war continues.’

Imrahil: ‘I am a kinsman of Denethor and I believe you are wise. He is strong willed and his mood has been strange. Yet I would not see the King of Gondor a beggar at his own door.’ Aragorn laughs through his weariness.

Aragorn: ‘Not a beggar; say a captain of Rangers from the north, unused to houses of stone. I shall furl my banner again till I judge the time ripe.’

Fade to a long vaulted room. Torches light up rich mosaics on the walls. Beds and litters stretch along either side of the long room into the distance. Women tend to the wounded, washing or feeding or bandaging. At the far end Gandalf walks up to camera with a short plump woman by his side. She is gesticulating and talking with animation. Close to camera a nurse pulls a sheet over a man’s face and Gandalf and the woman pause and look at him.
Cut to the two of them in a small room. Merry lies on a bed; his eyes are open but unseeing. A man is with them dressed in academic or professional robes.

The Warden: ‘Mithrandir, we still have skills with wounds and sickness but those who came close to the Nazgul have been stricken with a despair. They sicken and fall silent and pass to cold and death. The Halfling here and the lady of Rohan have this malady heavy on them.’

Ioreth: ‘And the lord Faramir burns up with a fever and is close to death. Only the hand of a king could save him.’ She turns to Gandalf. ’It is an old saying in the City. Long ago when we still had kings it was said that they had a healing touch.’ Gandalf suddenly turns from Merry and looks at Ioreth.
Cut to Theoden lying in state by the steps to the throne in the Citadel. Guards of honour circle him. Cut to Eomer and Imrahil walking up between the dark polished columns. They halt and bow their heads.

Eomer looks around: ‘Where is my sister? She should be here with the king in honour.’

Imrahil looks sharply round: ‘She was still living when I found her. Did you not know?’ Eomer cries out and turns and runs back down the hall. Imrahil bows his head again then turns and hurries after Eomer.
Cut to the two meeting Gandalf by a long colonnaded building in the dark of night.
Imrahil: ‘Mithrandir, I hear the Lord Steward is here too.’

Gandalf: ‘Denethor has departed into ashes. It is Faramir who lies within. Both he and Eowyn are close to death.’ Eomer stifles a cry.

Imrahil: ‘Then who rules the City? Aragorn is the rightful sovereign. Shall I send for him?’ Aragorn emerges from shadows and pulls back his hood.

Aragorn: ‘I ask you to rule here, Imrahil of Dol Amroth while Faramir lies sick. But in the days to follow I say that we follow Mithrandir in all things. Come, I have work here’
Cut to the four walking down a torchlit corridor. A tall and short guard stand at the end of the passage.

Pippin runs forward and stops, hands on hips: ‘Strider! How splendid! I guessed it was you in the black ships but no one would listen. How did you do it?’

Cut to Imrahil looking worried: ‘Is it thus we should speak to our king?’ Eomer simply grins.

Cut to Aragorn clapping Pippin on the back: ‘No time for travellers’ tales yet my lad.’
Cut to Faramir on his bed. Aragorn and Imrahil are on one side and Gandalf and Ioreth are on the other. A brief cut to Beregond, Bergil and Pippin standing near the door looking anxious.

Aragorn, examining Faramir: ‘There is little time left. Do you have herbs of healing here?’
Cut to Ioreth twisting her hands: ‘Yes, lord but not enough. I am sure I do not know where we will find more what with those murdering devils and all the roads blocked. It has been days since a carrier came from Lossarnarch in the south. But we do the best with what we have.’

Cut to the group around the bed. Aragorn exchanges glances with Gandalf next to Ioreth.
Aragorn: ‘We have little time for long speeches. Have you athelas?’

Ioreth: ‘I do not know. I will go and ask the herbmaster. He knows all the old names.’

Aragorn: ‘Here it is called kingsfoil.’

Ioreth: ‘Oh that! If your lordship had named it that at first I could have told you. I don’t think we have any. My sisters and I used to come across it in the woods and think it was a strange name for such a humble herb.’ (Aragorn looks up at the ceiling) ’It smells sweet and wholesome if it is bruised though.’

Aragorn: ‘Indeed! Now if there is a single leaf in the City run and get me some. Hurry!’
At Aragorn’s final bark Ioreth jumps with fright and scuttles off. Cut to her pushing Bergil out of the door ahead of her.
Cut back to Aragorn pulling back the sheet to examine Faramir’s sweating torso.

Aragorn: ‘See, this wound is healing. Were it a Nazgul dart he would be dead already. But the assault of the Nazgul, weariness, grief for his father and brother have crept up on him slowly.’ We hear the door and the candles flicker. Cut to Bergil running in proudly waving a large bunch of leaves. Cut to Aragorn crushing and rolling some leaves in his palms. He whispers into his hands then breathes into them and then sprinkles the fragments into a steaming silver bowl. The colours in the room freshen and lighten and the song of a night bird can be heard. Aragorn washes Faramir’s face then places his palm on Faramir’s forehead. He whispers ‘Faramir’ several times, each time more softly.
Cut to Faramir in the dark passageway, still pulling at the door. He looks over his shoulder. Cut to the shadowed passageway and black hooded figures move slowly forward. Cut back to Faramir at the door and we hear Aragorn’s voice, ‘Faramir.’ The door finally bursts open and a golden light spills out. Cut to Faramir stepping out to a courtyard in soft focus golden light. Cut to a richly robed Aragorn beneath a young tree full of large white flowers. He holds out a hand and repeats, ‘Faramir.’

Cut to Faramir’s eyes opening in the Houses of Healing: ‘My king, you called and I come.’

Cut to Aragorn looking down and smiling: ‘Walk no more in the shadows. Rest and be ready for when I return.’
Cut to most of the group coming out of the door to the room.

Cut back to Faramir’s room. Ioreth talks to Imrahil and Beregond and Bergil: ‘King! Did you hear that? The hands of a healer I said.’

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Mar , 2008 2:30 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I think from the number of views that people are looking here though I'm not sure if they are reading. If they are, matters are starting to culminate. For the moment I can speed up the frequency of posts so the momentum of the story is not lost. Here is the end of the episode.

Cut to a sideview of Eowyn. A splinted arm rests outside the sheet covering her. Cut to a view from above and she looks blankly upwards. Eomer sits by her and he rises. Cut to Aragorn walking up to the bed. Cut to Gandalf and Pippin coming in the door. Cut to Aragorn feeling her right hand then sliding his hand up her arm to her shoulder. Eowyn gives no sign of awareness.

Aragorn: ‘There is no life in this arm.’

Cut to Gandalf: ‘She pitted herself against a foe far beyond her strength. The shock may destroy her.’

Cut back to Aragorn: ‘When I first looked on her I saw a tall flower as hard as steel or maybe one frosted into ice, still fair but stricken. Eomer, her malady started long before this battle did it not?’

Cut to Eomer: ‘I hold you blameless in this but I saw no frost till she first saw you.’

Cut to Gandalf: ‘Eomer, you had horses and deeds of arms and a free land to ride. She was doomed to watch over a beloved uncle as he fell into bewitchment and dishonour.’ Cut to Eomer looking down at Eowyn as Gandalf continues, ‘Do you think Wormtongue had poison only for Theoden’s ears? Who knows what she spoke to the darkness alone in the bitter watches of the night, the walls of her chamber closing in like a hutch for some wild thing?’

Cut to Aragorn: ‘Eomer, I saw what you saw. Few griefs hold more shame for a man than to see a love that he cannot return. My heart lies with another far away. Yet she loves you more truly. In me she only loves a hope of great deeds and glory and an escape from her past life. I may call her back from her dark valley but if she wakes to despair then she may still die.’ Aragorn reaches out and takes more leaves from Gandalf and repeats his actions. Again the room brightens as Aragorn washes Eowyn’s arm and shoulder.
He bends and kisses her brow and calls gently: ‘Eowyn, awake! Your enemy has passed away.’ Cut to Eowyn from above and her face softens and her eyes start to focus.
Aragorn’s voice continues: ‘The shadow has gone and all darkness is washed clean.’
Cut to Aragorn placing her hand into Eomer’s then he moves out of shot. Cut briefly to him leaving the room. Cut to Eowyn starting to look around. Cut to a sideview of her with Eomer’s eyes full of tears.

Eowyn: ‘Eomer, the dark voices said you were slain. Was I dreaming?’

Eomer gently: ‘For a short while sister but think no more of it.’

Eowyn: ‘But the King is dead. That was no dream.’

Eomer: ‘It is good to see you awaken to hope, sister. Yes he is dead and lies in great honour. But he bid me say farewell to you before he died.’

Eowyn: ‘When all fell around him he feared no darkness. Oh Eomer, that brave holbytlan, does he live? You must make him a knight of the Riddermark.’ She reflects for a moment.’ Hope you said? No, I have no hope in me.’ Eomer squeezes her hand against his cheek.
Fade to Aragorn by the bed of Merry. Pippin pushes up near the pillow and takes Merry’s cheeks between his hands. Merry looks up unseeing.

Pippin: ‘Oh Strider, how grey and cold he is! Will he die?’

Aragorn, looking weary: ‘I came in time and have called him back. He will recover and his strong gay spirit should take no lasting hurt from smiting that deadly thing.’ He strokes Merry’s hair and whispers. ‘Merry.’

Merry’s eyes focus and he raises himself on an elbow and looks around: ‘I am hungry. What’s the time?’

Cut to Pippin blinking back tears and grinning: ‘Past supper time though I daresay I could bring you something if they let me.’

Cut to Gandalf grinning too: ‘Indeed they will!’

Merry smiles and puts his hands behind his head; Good, then I’ll have supper first then a pipe.’ His face changes. ’Oh no. It has come back to me. He is dead. I shan’t ever smoke again without thinking of when he rode up to Isengard and was so polite.’

Cut to Aragorn easing a tired back: ‘Smoke then and think of him for he was a gentle heart and a great king who kept his oaths and he rose out of the shadows to a last fair morning.’

Cut to Merry: ‘Then I will smoke if Strider has some to spare. I had some of Saruman’s best but I must have lost my pack in the battle.’

Cut to Aragorn drawing himself up severely: ‘If you think I passed through the mountains with fire and sword to bring pipeweed to a careless soldier who loses his gear you are mistaken. I have not slept in a bed such as yours since I rode from Dunharrow nor eaten since the darkness of Mordor fell.’ He turns away and gives a theatrical wink to the others.

Cut to Merry, mortified: ‘I am frightfully sorry. Ever since Bree we have been a nuisance to you. It is our way to use light words that say less than they mean. We fear to say too much but it robs us of the right words when a jest is out of place.’

Cut to Aragorn smiling kindly: ‘I know so speak to you in the same way.’ He bends and kisses Merry’s brow. ‘May the Shire live forever unwithered.’ He pulls his hood over his head and the camera follows as he and Gandalf leave.

Cut back to Pippin by the bed: ‘My dear ass, your pack’s by the bed and Strider knew all along. I’ll run off and get some food. Dear me, we hobbits can’t live long on the heights.’

Merry: ‘No, not yet but at least we can see and honour them now. There are deeper and higher things whether a gaffer in the Shire knows them or not.’

Fade to the grey cloaked Aragorn and the richly armoured sons of Elrond moving along the long line of beds in the flickering torchlight as they tend to the wounded.
A slow fade to black
Closing credits.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 01 Apr , 2008 11:49 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I am going to speed up the postings now. This episode will be in two parts rather than the usual three.

The camera looks down on two men with shovels in a pit. They reach up their hands and get pulled out over the earth spoil around the edge. The camera pauses for a moment on the bottom of the empty pit. Then a huge black winged body drops in. A few shovels of earth land on it then its gigantic severed vulture’s head is tossed in too.
Cut to a broad road leading up to Minas Tirith. The opening credits start; JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, Episode Twenty Seven: The Mouth of Sauron etc. While the credits run we see men throwing battle debris from carts on to fires on either side of the road. Cut to the Gateway to the City from outside. Men are hammering beams together for a makeshift gate and a wooden stockade is half built between the bastions either side of the Gateway. Cut to the first circle of the City. Garlands and flags stretch across the fire damaged street. A small group of Rohirrim walk along the street sight-seeing and are clapped on the back and given pots of drink by the city people. Cut to a small group of musicians playing a jig in a street beside some people doing an impromptu dance.
Cut to a dark window in a sunny white wall. The music is more distant. The camera comes close to the window and within its shadows we see Faramir’s face looking out without emotion. Cut to Gimli and Legolas walking together along a street looking up and down at the buildings. A matronly woman comes up to them, thrusts a posy of flowers into Gimli’s hands and stretches up to kiss Legolas on the cheek. She runs off giggling. Gimli looks back over his shoulder then passes the flowers to Legolas. The Elf smirks. Cut to the pair walking through topiary gardens. Cut to them climbing steps to a colonnaded building. Cut to a distant view of the same scene through a window. The camera pulls back a little and we see a shadowy Eowyn watching them. Cut to her face, expressionless and her eyes dead.
Cut to a door bursting open noisily to show Gimli with a big grin and Legolas behind him. Cut to Pippin sitting by Merry’s bed, both of them breaking into smiles.
Cut to Gimli bending, his pack on the floor, extracting flagons, beakers and finally a substantial pie. He looks up and winks and we hear the hobbits cheer.
Cut to the four using Merry’s bed as a table.
Pippin, his mouth full: ‘You have said nothing about how you got here.’

Gimli: ‘The sun may well shine but there are memories I do not wish to recall for I, Gimli Gloin’s son, was put to shame under earth by both men and Elves. They all followed Aragorn into the Haunted Mountain and I had to follow. The moment I entered in that fearsome place I heard an endless murmur of voices behind me.’ Gimli shudders.
Fade to Gimli in a dark tunnel hurrying to catch up to torch-bearers in the distance. He half looks over his shoulder fearfully. We hear a echoing soft chorus of whispers and groans and calls of pain.
Cut to an underground amphitheatre and beyond it a low exit to daylight. In the centre is a jagged monolith and Aragorn stands by it. Beyond the monolith the rest of the company stand by their horses and Gimli scurries into their midst. The shadows move about in the flickering torchlight.

Cut to Aragorn. He steps forward and calls out: ‘Keep your secrets and your gold. The heir of Isildur summons you to fulfil your ancient oath.’
The whispering and soft calls cease and there is silence. Cut to a medium view of the company looking around and a sudden blast of wind extinguishes the torches. In the near darkness the calls resume more loudly, among them distant shrieks. Whisps of light drift around the edges. One glowing brand is made to burst into flame again and it lights Aragorn’s face fitfully.
Aragorn: ‘Oathbreakers, what do you seek?’ He waits as the calls continue then a distant voice: ‘To find peace at last.’

Aragorn: That time has now come. I am Elessar the Elfstone, heir of Isildur of Gondor. I hold your oath fulfilled if you will follow me to Pelagir on the River and help rid this land of all the servants of Sauron from mountain to sea.’ He turns and mounts his horse.
Cut to Legolas lifting Gimli up on to his horse. Legolas turns and looks back. Cut to a close-up of them.

Legolas: ‘I see the shapes of men and horses and pale banners like the shreds of clouds and spears crowded like a winter thicket.’

Gimli, his head down: ‘I do not wish to see them.’

Legolas: ‘The ghosts of men are powerless and frail to the Elves.’

Cut to a view across a narrow ravine. We hear the thundering of hoofs and then Aragorn gallops past. A mass of horsemen follow in a blur then a pause as we hear the moans of the Dead get louder then a blur of grey fleeting shadowy figures speed past.
Cut to a farmyard and a farmer is pushing his wife and child in the doorway: ‘Hurry! The Dead ride out!’ He gets in and the door slams.
Cut to a tracking shot of Aragorn galloping in a dull daylight. His cloak flies out behind him. Cut to a long line of grey ghostly figures stretched across the screen, all of them indistinct approaching the camera at speed. They reach the camera and we see one single sad grey face before the screen goes black.
Cut to a narrow bridge. A single warrior armed with a spear guards it. Aragorn is mounted in front of him, his horse steaming and stamping.

Aragorn: ‘Angbor, I know all your men have scattered in fear. When this army of shadows has passed gather all the men of the south and follow. At Pelagir the heir of Isildur will have need of you.’
Cut to Angbor standing to one side at the parapet and holding his eyes shut as the grey host flows past him. Fade to black and the sounds of gulls.
Fade in to Gimli in Merry’s room with sunlight streaming in. The sound of gulls fades slowly.

Gimli: ‘…..then we came to the port of Pelagir on the River. So wide was the water that I thought we had come to the sea. Fifty great ships of Umbar lay at anchor there and all the town burnt. Then Aragorn called on the Host of the Dead and they rose up and fell upon the town like a tide of fear. They needed no weapon. The corsairs fell into terror and madness and threw themselves into the water. Only their slaves still shackled to the oars remained and they sat screaming.’ Cut to Gimli below decks striking the shackles off the grateful captives.

Cut to Legolas standing near Merry’s window: ‘In that hour I looked on Aragorn and thought how terrible a Lord he could become if he had taken the Ring to himself. Not for naught does Sauron fear him.’
Fade to Aragorn looking out from a tall galley. Cut to the quay lined with pale restless fading figures. Again the sound of gulls.

Cut back to Aragorn: ‘Hear the words of Elessar. In the name of Isildur I deem your oath fulfilled. Go to the peace ye seek at last.’
Cut back to the Grey Host along the harbour and a tall crowned figure steps out. He snaps his spear over his knee then kneels in homage then stands and turns and the host changes into a mist that thins and fades away.
Fade back to Gimli in Merry’s room: ‘The captives we freed helped to make the fleet ready. All that night men from south Gondor arrived and embarked and in the morning we set off. We made poor progress rowing against the flow and Aragorn stood at the prow and watched the fires around Minas Tirith light up the night. But a wind blew up from the south and we hoisted sail and came to the battle in the third hour of morning as the Sun unveiled.’
Cut to Legolas still at the window: ‘I took a deep wound at Pelagir. Gulls. Alas for the wailing of the gulls! Now I cannot forget them calling in the air. They awoke in my heart the sea-longing of the Elves.’ Cut to Legolas standing alone on the end of a jetty looking out over a wide flat estuary. Gulls mew and cry and the camera revolves around him and lifts up to show white gulls circling him.
Fade to Legolas and Gimli walking down the steps, again seen from a high window. Again the camera pulls back to show Eowyn in shadow watching them. The camera lingers for a moment on her colourless and expressionless face.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 15 of 16  [ 318 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 112 13 14 15 16 »
Jump to: