Farscape (now with syndication info!!)

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 59 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Aug , 2005 5:09 pm
of Vinyamar

Klonkku,

I agree. It took me some convincing as I found the puppet characters to be distracting at first. I hope Wilma will link to the "Silence" clip for you. It's just beautiful.

Any Babylon 5 fans in here?

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Aug , 2005 5:19 pm
Living in hope

<raises hand>

I got hooked early in Season 3 of the original run, and dragged my husband in wiith me. "Z'Hadum" sealed the deal—I still remember us both sitting there staring at the screen after G-Kar's final voiceover, unable to find words.

It's the only television program for which we've bought all the DVDs. (I don't have all of Farscape Season 1, just the episodes I liked.) I also have a complete set of tapes I made on the show's second run-through.

"A novel for television" it definitely is, and bears rewatching not just because of the quality of the writing, but because it's astonishing how much that paid off later is layered invisibly into the early seasons.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Klonkku
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Aug , 2005 8:08 pm
Blade Runner

I thought that the puppet-designs were stylistic and great from the get-go :) They work incredibly well - even better than low-budget CGI-versions could ( and I do mean *better* ).

But then again it isn't everybody's cup of tea I quess :D

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Aug , 2005 8:44 pm
Living in hope

Rygiel (sp?) was too Muppety for me at first, until I bought into the character.

Pilot was brilliant, with those huge expressive eyes and Lani Tupu's fine voice performance. I believed him from Day One. Sometimes he could move me to tears.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 07 Aug , 2005 3:48 am
Takoyaki is love

Primula_Baggins wrote:
Pilot was brilliant, with those huge expressive eyes and Lani Tupu's fine voice performance. I believed him from Day One. Sometimes he could move me to tears.
Me too :love:

I did not know about the muppets until I started watching the show but it did not phase me for some reason.

I of course love the writing and someone had mentioned to me although Farscape last 4 seasons they managed to pack in what felt like 8 years sorth of Story, which is how long it would take to tell the story on a more conventional TV show if they ever decided to take the risk. I loved that Farscape was so risky.

I have decided to dig up some old Farscape fan art that I found when farscape was first cancelled and fans were making such cool stuff. They will make such cool sigs.

I will now link to the vid that Alatar mentioned. This vid is by a person called Catluckey and LithiumDoll. Most Farscape fan vids you can find through the site called Farscape Fantasy which is a Farscape fanvid library. It has links to other vids through there too. :)

Now without further adieu Here is the link to Silence

There are some other videos I like and if you guys like Silence I give you a couple of more links to some other stuff.

It's so nice to see you here Klonkku :)

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 07 Aug , 2005 4:02 am
Takoyaki is love

Oh about the vid you are very welcome Alatar. I was determined that you get to see it. :D I remember you almost missed watching it the first time.

I should say that the vid has spoilers so if you have not seen the end of season 3 do not watch it. I have to credit my younger sis Grace for finding it back when we were on dial up no less!!!!

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 12:16 pm
Takoyaki is love

Shamelss bump!! Also, a link to another vid which I really like:

Haunted by LithiumDoll

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 11 Aug , 2005 12:39 pm
of Vinyamar

I'm grabbing that one and the Firefly ones by the same author. I'll let you know when I've had a chance to watch them!

Thanks,
Alatar

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 4:46 pm
Takoyaki is love

Introductory vids added to the first post. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 6:03 pm
of Vinyamar

Alatar wrote:
Hey Wilma, any word on when the Starburst edition of the DVDs will be released in Season Box Sets?

Alatar
Any news on this yet Wilma?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 15 Aug , 2005 11:57 pm
Takoyaki is love

I have not heard news of a box set, yest. Although everyone is waiting. They are still just available individually.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 Aug , 2005 8:19 pm
Takoyaki is love

I keep forgetting Europe is different!! I have heard there could be new sets coming out.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 28 Aug , 2005 6:17 pm
b77 whipping boy

Well, I got season 1, but it was difficult to find, especially as the boxed set of discs was $150, which I didn't want to pay... but I found the starburst editions, and that was much more reasonable.

Watched the first episode so far...

Irreversibly contaminated indeed...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Klonkku
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 28 Aug , 2005 6:59 pm
Blade Runner

Wilma, it is great to be here among fellow Farscape-fanatics :)

Since I am only nearing the half of Season 3, I passed the video-clip. I don't want to be spoiled :)

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 29 Aug , 2005 4:14 am
b77 whipping boy

Alright, through episode 3 (which had big bugs :Q ).

I can see why people love the show, and I will probably be one of you as things start to get more involved...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 29 Aug , 2005 5:36 am
Living in hope

Season 1, I think, is the bait. Cute episodes, funny episodes, intriguing characters, flirtations—not all the episodes are strong, but the potential is visible and you do want to know what happens next.

They kill you in season 2.

Then they do it again in season 3.

Then there's season 4, the ending of which leaves you ready to kill yourself. Or Sci-Fi Channel, for cancelling the show at that moment. Thanks so much, Wilma, for helping make the miniseries happen and bring closure. . . . :hug:

Comparing Farscape to B5, although I think B5 is closer to my heart as pure SF and because I have a history with it, I have to say Farscape has made me laugh harder—and cry harder.

Well, except for the very last episode of B5, where I missed some of the dialogue the first time because I was sobbing out loud, but that's either here nor there. :)

Suddenly you find you care about the characters. And some of those actors are seriously underrated. Ben Browder as John Crichton particularly, who has the gift of being terribly moving and terribly funny at the same time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Klonkku
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 29 Aug , 2005 5:30 pm
Blade Runner

Ben Browder is really good as John - he truly makes the role his own. I can not see how somebody could underrate him, for if he was any less of an actor, the role just wouldn't work. It would be easy to succumb into mere silliness, but Ben has somehow mastered the art of over-the-top / normality -combination. I like him a lot.

Another absolute favourite of mine is Anthony Simcoe as Ka D'Argo. Really great work - both physically and vocally. He makes the Luxan a very interesting, believable character.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Aug , 2005 11:02 am
Takoyaki is love

Klonkku wrote:
It would be easy to succumb into mere silliness, but Ben has somehow mastered the art of over-the-top / normality -combination. I like him a lot.

Another absolute favourite of mine is Anthony Simcoe as Ka D'Argo. Really great work - both physically and vocally. He makes the Luxan a very interesting, believable character.
That is exactly right over-the-top/normality. I love how the show is so emotional yet it's the right vibe for the show. Initially I would think being over emotional wouldn't work for a TV show. Brian Henson (runs the Jim Henson company and produces Farscape) had said from the begining they had wanted the show to be very emotional, since well Star Trek wasn't emotional. They wanted to do something different. Farscape is almost manic at times which is in part why I love it. Also, I find Farscape is one of the few programs I have enjoyed which causes the audience to have a high emotional involvement/investment in a TV program (and I am talking about before it was cancelled). Which results in a high emotional payaoff when something dramatic happens. I must say ever since Farscape, it is very important to me that feel emotionally involved in any my visual entertainment. If they don't grab me emotionally, my enjoyment of visual entertainment is diminished. I have been so spoiled by Farscape.

Oh and Klonkku, I have met Anthony Simcoe. :) He's very tall and very .... cuddly. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Aug , 2005 2:44 pm
Living in hope

Wilma wrote:
Oh and Klonkku, I have met Anthony Simcoe. :) He's very tall and very .... cuddly. :D
<envy envy envy>

:rage:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Klonkku
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 31 Aug , 2005 5:24 am
Blade Runner

Wow - really? Lucky you :) You asked for his auto-graph, right? :D

I am also emotionally invested in Farscape. The characters feel very real - even if they are rubber-puppets or strange-looking aliens.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 59 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: