The Last Homely Site on the Web

Musicals, Opera and Plays

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Alatar
Post subject: Musicals, Opera and Plays
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2013 9:39 am
of Vinyamar

I figured we could use a thread for this!

Don't know if I mentioned it, but I'm playing Jud again in April. That's Oklahoma for those who don't know. I'm really looking forward to it. Last time I played it, the director wanted him very sinister which felt a bit one-note. This time I'm hoping to play him more as a damaged person, maybe a little simple, but fundamentally lonely. Much more of a challenge!

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Musicals, Opera and Plays
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2013 3:25 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That's exciting, Alatar! It's been so long since I've seen Oklahoma! (is there an exclamation mark or am I imagining that?) that I don't remember the plot very well.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2013 3:59 pm
of Vinyamar

There is indeed! :)

Basic plot is this. Curly is a cocky young cowboy flirting with Laurie, a young farmgirl. The hired hand, Jud, is obsessed/in love/lusting after Laurie. He disgusts her, but she's not above using him to make Curly jealous. Tensions rise! In the meantime Ado Annie is a friend of Laurie's who has just "blossomed" and is loving the attention of men so much that she "cain't say no". Ali Hakim, the travelling salesman wants to tumble in the hay with her, but Will Parker another young cowhand wants to marry her. All of this is set against the formation of the territory as the "brand new State" of Oklahoma. Its a great show that I used to think was very dated, until I saw Hugh Jackman and Shuler Hensley's version on DVD. Here's a clip:

ETA: Here's Jud

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2013 4:12 pm

:)

There are so many awesome songs from that musical!

So here's the odd question of the day. Will you all try to do it with Southern accents?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2013 4:21 pm
of Vinyamar

Sort of. We'll mostly do generic "American" accents to varying degrees. Enough to keep people happy here, but unlikely to convince a southerner!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2013 5:51 pm

I'm not sure I could do a Southern accent well enough to convince a Southerner, and I'm American. ;)

Somehow my British accent often ends up Southern and vice versa.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 16 Jan , 2013 11:02 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So, you'll be posting clips, right? :D

Coincidentally I just picked up a recording of "Allegro" by the same writers. According to the liner notes it was a failure because the audience was expecting another "Oklahoma", but it isn't - it's totally different.

But I'm really enjoying it - there's nothing wrong with the opera, apart from being different from Oklahoma.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 10 Sep , 2013 2:56 pm
Aspiring to heresy

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 10 Sep , 2013 5:25 pm

Hmmm. That might be interesting!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Deumeawyn
Posted: Sun 06 Oct , 2013 10:21 am

Went to the Two Towers orchestra movie at Riverstage last night. Was nice, but it didn't have the intensity tat Fellowship did at QPAC. I think it needs the acoustics of the hall instead of the outdoor venue.

Maiden the Shade

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sun 06 Oct , 2013 11:36 am
of Vinyamar

Heading to the RotK in two weeks. Can't wait for the Lighting of the Beacons and Gandalf's gallop up Minas Tirith!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 08 Jan , 2014 5:33 pm
Aspiring to heresy

There's a new DVD out of a stage production of The Sound of Music, with Carrie Underwood. Anyone seen it?

amazon link

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 08 Jan , 2014 7:15 pm

We watched it live on TV. I applauded it for what it was--something unique and risky. Carrie sings very well, but her acting is not great. Everyone else in the cast was quite good. So, overall, I think it was pretty cool. I wouldn't buy the DVD of it, personally, because I enjoyed it for what it was meant to be--a live performance. I don't think it will fare well with repeated viewings, if that makes sense. (I also feel like there were some audio issues that, again, were acceptable in a stage production, but would be especially irksome in a recording.)

However, if you can watch it keeping in mind that it originally aired live (which is cool, imo), then you might like it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 20 May , 2014 12:44 pm
of Vinyamar

Clips of Evita shared over on HOF. A bit pitchy in places but gives you an idea.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2015 4:41 pm

Has anyone seen the new movie version of Into the Woods? Is it any good?

I love that musical - I've seen it in the theater and the play on DVD (Bernadette Peters and Joanna Gleason). So I've been wanting the new DVD - I saw a clip or two, and it looked good.

But then I saw that it was made by Disney. And I've heard some rumors that it's been "Disnified" to remove some of the things they didn't think appropriate for kids. 1) Rapunzel doesn't die. (ugh - that would take the sadness and sting out of the witch's songs). 2) the characters don't sacrifice the narrator to the giant at the beginning of the second act, 3) The funny (and insightful) reprise of "Agony" has been cut, 4) the baker's wife and the prince no longer have a fling in the woods, 5) there's no hint of sexual desire with the Wolf and Red Riding Hood, and 5) one of my favorite songs, "No more," has been cut. So now I have my doubts. . .

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2015 4:52 pm
of Vinyamar

I've seen it and loved it.

1) Correct
2) Correct (The narrator doesn't exist as a character)
3) Correct
4) Nope, thats in
5) Depends on your interpretation, I certainly took it as sexual, but I know the show

Personally, I think its well worth seeing if you love Musicals and Movie Musicals, because, hey, if we don't support them, they don't get made and the world would be a poorer place without them. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks, Alatar. Glad to hear you think it still holds together. I might give it a shot - rent it, or maybe buy it once it hits the cheap section. But it sounds like a lot of changes to part II. And I'll probably miss the comic relief - including Rapunzel's complaints about how her mother ruined her life. :)

Too bad about the narrator. It seems like that would leave a bit to be explained - it's his death that leaves the characters alone in Act II, where they have to face "real life" (sort of), with its messiness and lack of guaranteed happy endings.

And it sounds like I'm not the only one who misses "No more."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act- ... the-woods/

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2015 8:49 am
of Vinyamar

Yes, but lets not forget that all the changes were made with Sondheim's approval, so if he's not worried... ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2015 2:56 pm

Or he figured it was the only way to get it made by Disney. :)

I figured there would be changes when I heard the soundtrack, and the humorous line introducing Jack's mother "... well, she was not quite beautiful..." had been changed to "she was at her wits' end."

Edit: Thought you might be interested in this article. It came up on one of my searches earlier, when I was trying to get a sense for how well the new Into the Woods works.

http://newyorktheater.me/2014/06/18/son ... ensorship/

I suspect he spoke his true thoughts to the teachers, then had to retract when there was a fuss from Disney. As it is, I came across a lot of reviews from parents upset about the movie's content. It sounds like Disney marketed it as something for young kids - though you'd think "PG" would have given the parents a clue.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2015 3:39 pm
of Vinyamar

The important bit:
Quote:
The fact is that James (Lapine, who wrote both the show and the movie) and I worked out every change from stage to screen with the producers and with Rob Marshall, the director. Despite what The New Yorker article may convey, the collaboration was genuinely collaborative and always productive.

When the conversation with the teachers occurred, I had not yet seen a full rough cut of the movie. Coincidentally, I saw it immediately after leaving the meeting and, having now seen it a couple of times, I can happily report that it is not only a faithful adaptation of the show, it is a first-rate movie.

And for those who care, as the teachers did, the Prince’s dalliance is still in the movie, and so is “Any Moment.”
Everything else is supposition.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: