board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Backpacking, mountains, forestry, wilderness, etc.

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 06 Oct , 2005 1:43 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

Cool camera, man! Beautiful shot, really.

Eru, I heard they canceled the coldfront for TN...if I heard right at work on the radio, they said it'd be Friday. But good riddance w/ this heat!!!! Summer be gone!!:P

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 07 Oct , 2005 7:39 pm

Yeah, that shot turned out excellently. I was impressed!
I have a few more shots but they aren't as good, especially the ones with me in them :damnfunny: .

Yes, its fall in the high country. We had a couple 20° nights, and with the 70° days, it really brings out the color.

"C'mon boy, we gots some Piratin' to do!"

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 07 Oct , 2005 9:53 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

It's finally cool here Lego...it hasn't gotten above 63F here today...was mostly in the 50's until an hour or so ago. :) Hope the cool air reaches you!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 08 Oct , 2005 5:26 am

Ahhhhhhh....... :) Love that coolness!!

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 10 Oct , 2005 4:55 am
bioalchemist

Ah, so here it is... Lego told me about this thread in the a thread he started in the Symposium. I'm a mountaineer, which, in the opinion of some, makes me certifiable. I'm not sure why. I've only almost been killed twice. The highest I've been is 19000'. That was in the Andes. I did just fine, which makes me wonder why my lungs quit at 16K in Alaska. I also like to backpack - my bro and I have been all over Rainier. We've done the Wonderland. We've done the Northern Loop. We've been up the mountain twice and I made a third ascent with my dad. We've made two attempts on Little Tahoma too. One we got weathered out on. The other was more of a joint psychological collapse that ended with both of us falling off a moraine. I did a double back-flip off a 15 foot drop-off and haven't been the same about roped up on loose rock ever since. Needless to say, I have a deep appreciation for my helmet.

For some reason I never wandered into this forum 'cuz I thought it was for people who actually, you know, make stuff. Now I need to get my act together and scan some pics to show.

Snowdog, that lenticular on Rainier is amazing.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 10 Oct , 2005 6:45 am
Living in hope

River, is there a word that could be added to the forum description that would have helped you know this thread was in here?

I was a Ranger when these forums were built, and we tried to make the decriptions accurate. If you missed something, then obviously we need a correction, and I would be happy to bring it up with the current Rangers.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 10 Oct , 2005 7:20 am
bioalchemist

Well, in hindsight all I probably needed was a solid hit with a clue-by-four.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Oct , 2005 4:49 am

I was the clue-by-four.:D

Welcomes Riverthalos respectfully and w/ honor to the thread. :bow:
I knew there had to be one of those nutty mountaineers around here somewhere....I found one! Let us gain what we can from the experience of one as such.

:P

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Oct , 2005 2:20 pm

Riverthalos wrote:
Snowdog, that lenticular on Rainier is amazing.
You know, I thought that was Rainier from the west/northwest where you don't see Little Tahoma, but the KING TV caption said Mt St Helens, of which I thought it would have to be from the southwest. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Glad you didn't come to a bad end up there as some have. Did you ascend Rainier via Liberty Ridge?

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Oct , 2005 7:14 pm
bioalchemist

Helens? I admit I gave the pic only a glancing look...

**Looks again

Nope, not Rainier. Still pretty though.

No, I've never been up Liberty Ridge. Not yet. Lately I've been catering to my father's wishes on the mountaineering front and he's not going to go up Liberty Ridge.

I've been up the DC and the Emmons. I was going to try the Kautz but yeah... So the plan with the Kautz was my bro and I were first going to ascend Little Tahoma and then traverse around to the Nisqually Glacier and Camp Hazard. First we missed the summit of Little T due to heavy packs and shared psychological issues. So we decided to continue the traverse. The Whitman Glacier takes you up Little T, right next door on the west is the Ingraham. Between the two is a moraine that features cliffs. On the map, we found a notch at around 8000' that looked like it's take us nice and easy down onto the Ingraham. In a guide book we had, it was written that you could actually use this notch if you wanted to climb Little T from Camp Muir or the Ingraham Flats. The ranger we talked to when we collected our permits said it was a go. So we get to the notch, shorten up our rope, and start picking our way through the rocks only to encounter a drop off that is, at it's shortest point, ten feet. Too small to show up on a map, but big enough to be a problem. There was no way around this thing. So we started to position ourselves to set up an anchor and lower our packs and rappel down. Or something. We never made the anchor. Rainier's rock is rotten, and it crumbled under my brother's feet. I heard him curse, tried to grab the rock for soem reason, and then did a backflip off the edge right after him. If not for helmet, I would be dead. If not for the huge pack that covered my neck and back, I probably would not have walked again. As is, I smashed my face twice into the rocks on the way down, breaking my nose and losing my contacts. I then slid on my back, too stunned to really do anyhting to stop myself, until I came to a stop on top of my brother who for a touching moment thought I was dead. Then I sat up, waited until my nose had sorta stopped bleeding, and we ascended and traversed to Camp Muir. It was poretty broken up. My bro almost took us both intoa crevasse at one point. We were walking between two huge crack 0 there was nowhere else to go - and he slipped. He caught himself in time, but if he'd kept going there was no way I could have held him because there was nowhere to put my axe. And then there was the crevasse we couln't end-run, find a bridge over, or jump. We did find a fake floor, so we lowered down and climbed out. I'd gashed open my elbow in the fall that morning and for some reason my arm decidedf that this menat it could have the day off so ice climbing wasn't working too well for me, so I prussiked out and we made it into Muir twelve hours after the fall. The Kautz route was now out due to blindness on my part. The ranger was kind enough to clean me up and let me use the satellite phone at Muir to call Mom so she could come get us. Ten days later I went back with my dad, who wanted to do the DC and no one was talking him out of it. I hate the Cleaver, but mentally I needed to go back to Rainier, so away I went.

I hate the Cleaver. I want to do the Kautz.

-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Oct , 2005 3:36 pm

You are hard-core Riverthalos! Right on!

The most extreme mountain I've done was Mt Adams, but the southern flank is pretty easy. I and a friend made an attempt on My St Helens southern slope but we both wheezed out before getting there. We didn't prep enough for the trek.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Oct , 2005 12:38 am

Got a 2 night trip in the Smoky Mountains planned for Thanksgiving weekend. :P My first trip in a while....Pics will definitely be taken. ;)

...just had to share...gotta pass the time somehow. :P

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Nov , 2005 7:06 pm

Leaving tommorrow morning. I'll post some pics when I get back.

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 12:35 am

Hope the weather goes well for ya and you enjoy the shit out of it!
There is nothing like getting away into the backcountry.

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Dec , 2005 2:28 am

Quote:
There is nothing like getting away into the backcountry.
Snow...you and I agree on one thing, for sure@! :P
Man, it was a good trip....nothing new or spectacular...I've been to the place I went a few times before, but just an escape from the business of my alarm clock life was refreshing. Nothing like carrying everything you need on your back in a natural setting w/ no deadlines. Everything's just simpler out there...life makes more sense.

here's my photobucket w/ pics

http://photobucket.com/albums/a175/soul ... ll%202005/

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 7:45 pm

Nice pix dude!

I will be heading out to the coast on a hike with the bro the weekend of 21-22. A good 3 miles on a wet ceder boardwalk, followed by some tough winter beach hiking. It will most likely be raining.

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 11 Jan , 2006 11:37 pm
The Red Fox

Ahh Memories.

Seeing this thread reminded me of some of the first posts that I remembered way back from the time when I first ever posted on that other message board...

Lego and Snowdog comparing notes about having come back from a Mountain walking trip. Circ. 2000.

For some reason that post stuck in my mind.

Anyway....

nuff sed about then.

Last time I did anything like a decent mountain walk was the first week in September 2001. I did the West Highland way in Scotland. :) Don't you just hate it when you get a false summit? You think you've reached the top and then there yet another slope? That is one of my enduring memories from the West Highland Way. Ohhh that and discussing the merits of red dear with a delightful blonde Scots lass. Ahh Happy days.

I guess I'd better take up that offer from an old friend of mine and do the walks around Snowdonia some time.

Lovely pics Lego. :D

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 12 Jan , 2006 9:12 pm

I remember that! It was the last time I went to High Box Lake. I wonder if the hammock is still there. I remember you all readying to go on the Highlands trek. Didn't Heliona go on that?

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 2:24 am

Rainy winter beach hiking in the northwest...cool. :cool: Break out the rain gear! I hope to see some pics, Snow. And a 3 mile cedar boardwalk....wow, That's some contruction!

Edain! Nice to see ya stop by here. I think I might remember what you're talking about....an April solo trip I went on...my first and only, so far. That was a several years ago. :P Time keeps on tickin' tickin'....
But dude! ...Scotland. :D Seriously.....anywhere in west/northern Europe sounds like fun to me. Like in the Braveheart movie where Wallace is running w/ the music....that the kind of never ending hills you're talking about?
And yeah...get out there and use the legs! ;)

I got another trip planned for April 1-3....the smokies, yet again. :P But a mountain top w/ a fire tower on the top.

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 13 Jan , 2006 3:24 am
The Red Fox

Something like the Braveheart movie. Only that was filmed in Ireland, mostly. Irish extras and crew are cheaper!

When I walked the West Highland Way it was a bloody hard slog, that I remember. So much rain. Nasty fierce stuff, not like what you get in England. Not to mention the midges! Good job they don't bite redheads and prefer blondes I suppose... =:) The highlight of the trip was when I glanced into the glen of my forefathers. The ill-fated Glen Coe... A touching moment. Och, it's like a pall hangs over that place.

It was indeed Heliona who had the crazy idea of a bunch of Torcers meeting up and camping together. From Thirteen to just three in the end, but it was worth it. :D

You certainly appreciate the home comforts a little more when you get back.

Would be cool if your hammock was still there. :D

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 94 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: