board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Opera, Classical & Choral Music!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 63 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Estel
Post subject: Opera, Classical & Choral Music!
Posted: Sun 16 Oct , 2005 10:12 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I went on a bit of a music spree on amazon last night which inspired this post :oops: :D Ended up getting 4 CDs and one DVD

Sempre Libera - arias sung by Anna Netrebko

Opera: Greatest Hits - a variety of amazing artists on this CD, but I admit I mostly bought it because cause it has the singer - Inva Mula-Tchako - who did the Lucia Di Lammermoor in the movie "5th Element -

Purcell: Dido and Aeneas with the mezzo - Janet Baker. She's amaaaaaaazing! Eru - I think you would like her - she's most well known for singing Mahler ;)

and I got The Essential Angela Gheorghiu

because she is amazing. Reviews say she is the next Callas. I don't know about that, but I intend to find out - the DVD I got has Gheorghiu performing Verdi's La Traviata with Richard Eyre, Solti, Lopardo, Nucci, at the ROH Covent Garden.

I'm very excited about all this, and Steve is ready to kill me cause he hates opera about as much as I hate his disco :P

My only regret is that the cd I really wanted was not in stock :( Mysterium ~ Sacred Arias with Angela Gheorghiu. She sings the most beautiful Pie Jesu from Faure's Requiem that I have ever had the pleasure of hearing, and her rendition of J.S. Bachs Quia respexit from his Magnificat in D major had my jaw on the floor for about three days.

A couple questions for you guys:

Have any of you heard Leontyne Price? If you have, what do you think of her?

Do any of you know of really good counter-tenors. I love their tone and smoothness, but I can't, for the life of me, find a CD where counter-tenors are featured. I know they aren't used much in opera, but I thought that I would ask about it since I'm asking questions anyway.

If anyone has any singers, conductors or recordings that they particularily love and think others should listen to, I'll edit them into this first post.

Conductors
  • Robert Shaw

John Rutter

Sir David Willcocks

Sir Thomas Beecham

Georg Solti

Andreas Delfs

Recordings
  • Cathedral Classics - Dale Warland Singers
    - Includes the most beautiful recording of Gregorio Allegri's Miserere Mei, Deus I have ever heard!

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis in D major, Op. 123; Mozart: Mass in C minor, K. 427 "The Great" - Robert Shaw & the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Chorus
    - Probably my most favorite piece of all time - the Beethoven that is - and this recording of it is fantastic.

African Sanctus - David Fanshawe
    - Stunning and unique!

Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor - Maggio Musicale Fiorentino Orchestra with Maria Callas.
    - Jude says "Maria Callas's voice was at its peak at the time - rock-solid, haunting, almost spooky"

Soprano's
  • Natalie Dessay

Lorraine Hunt Lieberson

Angela Gheorghiu (I've heard of her references as both, but put her in this category based on what I've heard myself - she definitely has the richness of a mezzo however)

Joan Sutherland

Kiri Te Kanawa

Emma Kirkby

Barbara Frittoli

Anna Netrebko (She's young, but definitely on her way - keep an eye on her)

Victoria de Los Angeles!!

Leontyne Price

Maria Callas

Rosa Ponselle

Mady Mesplé

Kathleen Battle

Sylvia McNair She has a glorious coloratura

Renee Flemming

Mezzo's
  • Frederica von Stade

Jessye Norman

Cecillia Bartoli

Magdalena Kozena

Olga Borodina

Dolora Zajick (a dramatic, blood and guts mezzo - can be too much for casual opera fans)

Janet Baker

Milena Kitic

Sumi Jo (Technical perfection - absolutely gorgeous!)

Vesselina Kasarova

Alto's
  • Kathleen Ferrier

Ewa Podles (I honestly don't know where to put her - her range is enormous, but I love her lower range the best, so I stuck her here :P )

Counter-Tenors
  • Andreas Scholl

Alfred Deller

James Bowman

Tenors
  • Marcello Giordani (My favorite)

Jose Cura

Salvatore Licitra

Frizt Wunderlich (Jude's favorite)

Marcelo Alvarez

Juan Diego Florez

Ben Heppner :love:

Joseph Calleja

Franco Corelli

Ramón Vargas

Mario del Monaco

Rolando Villazon

Bass / Baritones
  • Idlebrando D'Arcangelo

Bryn Terfel :drool:

Thomas Hampson

Samuel Ramey

John Charles Thomas

Lawrence Tibbett

Leonard Warren

Robert Merrill

Choral Groups
  • Dale Warland Singers

Altlanta Symphony Chorus

Last edited by Estel on Wed 29 Apr , 2009 11:46 pm, edited 40 times in total.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Oct , 2005 10:37 am
Aspiring to heresy

Not only do I love opera, I sing it!

Yes, I love Leontyne Price - she's one of the few that can sing Leonora in Verdi's "Il Trovatore", a role which requires both a strong low register and good agility in the upper register. Other singers that can do this role justice are Maria Callas and Rosa Ponselle.

I saw that performance of La Traviata in the original TV broadcast when it was first shown on the BBC.It's a fantastic and moving performance. Make sure you have a large box of tissues handy when you watch it.

For favourite singers, my favourite tenor is Frizt Wunderlich, favourite soprano is Maria Callas, favourite alto is Kathleen Ferrier.

Would you swoon with envy if I told you I've sung with Olga Borodina? :D

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Oct , 2005 11:05 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

:Q Damn right I'll sw00n with envy. :P After that post, I might just start swooning for you :cool:

I love Olga Borodina - the rich velet smoothness she has to her voice is just.... :drool:

I never ever liked opera until I was 18 - I stayed the night at a friends house and woke up to his mother blasting Pavarotti at 8am. It was sublime - I did a complete 180 in my opinions on opera and have been going nuts about it every since. I can't, however, seem to find anyone within 30 years of my own age who likes it as well ;) Honestly, the only person I can talk about it with is my grandmother :LMAO:

While in college, the local opera company always let students in for free on the last night of rehearsals - can't tell you how many times I dragged people to that. They usually only had about 40 - 50 people show up altogether. So sad, considering that that free night was open to all the students from 3 or 4 universities plus all the high schools in the city.

Tell me - what do you think of Vesselina Kasarova? I must admit, I find her a bit... tinny at times. But then, I find the same thing with Mady Mesplé, and love her, so maybe I'm just being picky :P

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Oct , 2005 2:21 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Vesselina Kassarova - um, I've heard her on the radio, but I can't recall her voice offhand.

Mady Mesplé - now there's an unusual voice! She takes nasal placement to an extreme - but at least it gives her a phenomenal high range. I'm not sure if I'm a fan or not.

I noticed you added Kathleen Battle to your soprano list. I could tell you all kinds of Kathleen Battle stories! I used to like her, until I discovered what a horrible person she is. Now I can't listen to her without being reminded of her personality.

I forgot to mention Renée Fleming! We've all heard her in The Return of the King, but that recording only hints at what she's capable of. She has the most breathtaking pianissimi in the upper range, not to mention a sumptuous middle range, and a high degree of musical intelligence. To hear her at her best, get her recording of Strauss' Four Last Songs, or Dvorak's Rusalka.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Oct , 2005 3:24 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Vesselina Kassarova is most often compared to Bartoli, usually in favor of Kassarova. I admit that she is more powerful and agile, but in the recordings I have heard of her, I find that she doesn't have that same creamy tone that I love so much. So maybe I shouldn't say she sounds bright... just, not as smooth. However, I've only heard her Rossini recordings, and apparently her French arias and her Mozart are far more impressive.

Mady is certainly unique, but her ease in hitting the high notes makes me have to forgive her for what I don't like (the tinny sound). She makes a high E sound so simple :Q Her tone is a bit too bright for her to have any richness, and she... warbles? twitters? Her vibrato is so fast and it's always there. But despite all this, you can actually understand her - more than can be said for many opera singers, and she's crystal clear, even on octave+ jumps. Definitely an aquired taste.

Kathleen Battle - yeah. Trust me when I say that I've heard those stories. One of the most satisfying ones I heard was that Jessye Norman bitched her out once ;) I just try to ignore the stories and concentrate on the voice. I can't watch her live though - the bitchiness is so obvious in her performances. I won't buy any of her CDs, but I don't mind listening when my parents listen to them - which they do fairly often.

I know Renée Fleming outside of the LotR soundtrack. I have a couple of her CDs, though not any Strauss I'm afraid - I'm not that big of a fan (of Strauss I mean). I adore her. She even manages to sound rich at the upper end of her range, which is so unique. There are a lot of sopranos that sound either pure or rich in the high registers, but it's not often that you find a singer that manages both.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Oct , 2005 5:00 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Counter tenors, Estel?
:love:
I'm still trying to find time to write up about an Andreas Scholl concert I went to this summer. I have a photo that I can post too though it is a bit blurred. Check out too Alfred Deller and James Bowman. Nowadays there are plenty of counter tenors and Baroque music and earlier is where they crop up.
Opera isn't my favourite classical form though I like it more now than I did but choral music can be magnificent.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 16 Oct , 2005 5:41 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Yes, counter-tenors! :) First time I ever heard one was when a choir I had joined went on tour in the U.K. We went into a cathedral and I heard the most rich, pure, sublime and gorgeous womans voice that I had ever encountered. Walked down to see her, and not only was it a man, not a woman, but a man with a big old bushy beard :D

I admit, as much as I love opera, I love choral music more - mostly from familiarity though. There is something about being in a choir and singing a piece of music that contains that perfect magical chord or chord progression. The kind where your just aching after you sing it. Bliss. My favorite choral piece is Beethoven's Missa Solemnis in D major - instead of using an organ, as is traditional in a solemn mass, he weaves a single violin through the chorus :love: It's breathtaking.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 5:49 am
Another bright red day

I LOVE choral music. It is one of my favuorite genres. I am not well versed in it. I don't know any famous singers or pieces, or even have a favourite composer, but I really love listening to it.

One of the pieces that I do know, and love, is Händel's Israel in Egypt. Not his most famous, perhaps, but it was the first one that I really fell in love with. It wasn't mine, so I memorised one of the songs for the two days that I had it and sang it all the time until I got my own copy this year. I also love Mozart's Requiem, Händel's Utrecht te Deum (I think that's the name), and Heinrich Schütz's Der Schwanengesang.

I don't enjoy opera as much. I much prefer the blending of voices and harmonies in choral music, but there are some I quite like. Vivaldi's La Verita in Cimento in particular is wonderful.

Like I said, I don't know much about it. I just really enjoy it. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 8:29 am
of Vinyamar

I'm not a fan of Opera, but I personally put that down to never having seen any. A lot of music works for me in performance that doesn't work for me on CD. The closest to Opera that I currently enjoy would be Porgy and Bess and some G&S, both of which would really be classed as light opera. I do, however love when Opera is used as underscoring in films. The final scene of Godfather III would be an example.

As for Choral music, I was a member of a very successful youth choir for about 10 years and there is a power there that is rarely matched. Even to this day I turn up at Midnight Mass every Christmas Eve to join with them (it's our yearly reunion). I still get a huge buzz singing the Hallelujah Chorus or O Holy Night. I just love when the choir kicks in beneath the soprano with the whole "Fall on your knees" section.

Favourite Choral pieces include the two mentioned above, Locus Iste, How Shall I Fitly Meet Thee (Bach Chorale) and Derr Herr ist Koenig (for two choirs).

I'd love the chance to sing O! Fortuna from Carmina Burana.

Oh, I know this may be sacrilege but I love the OperaBabes CD too :)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 10:16 am
Per aspera ad astra

I did not like opera for years and years - too artificial for me... What reconciled me with opera - and strangely also with Mozart, was Milos Forman's Amadeus movie. Oh my God, how much I lved this one. I go to the opera now, whenever I can, which is rare, because it's so expensive in Geneva.

Wagner made me cry and gave me goosebumps in Tristan and Isolde. But I could not see Tannhäuser this year :(.

In Prague, we went to see "Rigoletto" - a first time for me. It was an honest preformance, but not breathtaking, like operas I had seen here. Very classic direction and costumes - I think I prefer something a tad more modern. The tenor was okay, but the female leading voice /Rigolettos daughter) was really very good. In voices, I also love couter-tenors, and boys choires absolutely break my heart. The first time I heard Dido and Aneas (what an opera!!!) it was a performance by a boys choire - unforgettable!!!!

Still, I prefer symphonic music, often the opera singers are too pushed for me. But, unlike in my youth, I enjoy and am willing to learn.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 10:21 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Opera on film, yes. Bergmann's The Magic Flute was good.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 3:55 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

MoS - You know, just from that post, probably about ten times as much as the average American :P Of the ones you listed, I like Mozarts Requiem the best. I saw it performed once where they cut off and stopped the performance at the same point where he died, and his student took over the writing of it. I never want to see it that way again :neutral: It just leaves you aching and empty.

Alatar - That "fall on your knees" part is INCREDIBLE!!! I sang first soprano when we did that, and that ultra high bit floating above the rest of the choir is such a rush! The only other thing that gives me an almost triumphant rush like that is the first soprano part in Fanshaw's "The Lords Prayer" - if I knew how to upload that online from the CD I totally would - it's so so so so so amazing! And yes precioussssss. To sing Carmina Burana has been my dream since I was 13. Every time my parents took me to a symphony or choir concert before that, I was a fidgety and bored little kid. Carmina Burana though, pulled me to the front of my seat through the whole show, and I didn't even know it till I literally fell back into my seat crying at the end. It opened a whole new world up to me. The baritone soloist in it ended up being my voice teacher for a little while :cool: The third thing I ever sang with an adult choir was Handels Messiah, when I was 15. The choir director - it was a university choir - thought that everyone should have a chance to sing it at least once, so every four years, we sang it.

Nin - Dido and Aneas was the first thing I ever sang with an adult choir! I was 14 and the University nearest to my home was performing it. Since they didn't have a boy to do the Spirit, they had me do it. It was the scariest thing ever - first solo I had ever had in my life, and it was with an adult choir :Q Needless to say, I've been in love with that opera ever since. I'm so jealous that you got to see "Rigoletto", even if it wasn't an incredible performance. I love that opera - it's the first one I ever bought on CD. I found a copy of it being performed with Joan Sutherland and Pavarotti for about USD 5. Amazing quality and performers for so cheap. Anyway, it holds a special place in my heart because of that.

My favorite opera always has been, and probably always will be, Bizet's "Carmen". Even before I liked opera, I liked that one. My parents had a copy of it on video, and I always used to watch it, even at 8 or 9 years old. It was the 1984 film done with Maazel, Migenes and Domingo. My mom had the score, and I used to sit watching the film trying to sing along. Can you imagine a little 9 year old trying to sing Carmens part :LMAO:

Tosh I looooove "The Magic Flute". There's been a certain recording of it recomended to me again and again, but I could never find it. I found it on amazon yesterday, and it's on my list of things to get next time I go on a spree :P

Last edited by Estel on Wed 29 Apr , 2009 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 4:25 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Click here to see photos of Jude in Les Contes d'Hoffmann

If I could recommend one recording to anyone who's interested in opera and doesn't know where to start, it would be the 1953 mono recording of Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor.

Maria Callas's voice was at its peak at the time - rock-solid, haunting, almost spooky. It wasn't in nearly as good shape when she re-recorded it in stereo six years later.

Here are the links:
amazon.com
amazon.ca

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 4:53 pm
Best friends forever

Il Trovatore?

My friend and I forked out big bucks to go the Opera. So, we're sitting there reading the program, and the plot, etc., and we get to the part where the wicked woman who wished to be wicked and to do a wicked deed, throws her own baby into the fire by mistake!!! Somehow that struck us funny so got into a giggling fit that lasted pretty well the whole evening and to this day makes us laugh.

I don't remember much of the story, quite frankly, and did not particularly enjoy the evening beyond the laffs.

Can't afford to go to the Opera. My "culture buck" is spent on the Ballet. There is a terrific ballet where a chorus stands on a kind of bleachers and sings Carmina Burana. Can't recall the name of the ballet, will have to dig out the program. And there is a ballet of "Carmen", actually more than one. The most interesting was a flamenco Carmen.

A very interesting and beautiful dance "In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated" uses Mahler's music, "Ur licht" and other bits, it is fabulous. Fabulous.

Ben Heppner is a Canadian. :love:

Maria Callas had the most beautiful voice ever. :love:

Pavarotti could sing like an angel when he was younger. :love: Makes me shiver along me bones.

On the other hand, Placido Domingo couldn't. And neither can the other Spanish guy. :D All technique and no feeling. Like machines.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 5:45 pm
of Vinyamar

Great pics Jude. Is that ama Amateur company? The costuming and sets look very professional.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Oct , 2005 5:48 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Opera Lyra Ottawa - It's a professional company.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 3:21 pm
Another bright red day

[quote="Estel"I saw it performed once where they cut off and stopped the performance at the same point where he died, and his student took over the writing of it. I never want to see it that way again :neutral: It just leaves you aching and empty.[/quote]

Oh no! That must have been so sad. :( It's not exactly a happy piece as it is . . .

Jude, those photos are really neat! :D
Quote:
Dido and Aneas was the first thing I ever sang with an adult choir! I was 14 and the University nearest to my home was performing it. Since they didn't have a little boy to do the boy's solo, they had me do it. It was the scariest thing ever - first solo I had ever had in my life, and it was with an adult choir
:Q That's so cool! It must have been such an amazing experience, and you must have an excellent voice. Ever since I first got into choral music it's been my dream to sing an oratorio or requiem or anything choral with a big choir. My high school choir of 30 could never quite manage it. :roll:

I finally got around to listening to Bach's Weihnachtsoratorium (which I know I'm misspelling) last night, and it was so beautiful! These composers were geniuses. All the interweaving harmonies and melodies and the instrumental lines and just . . . wow. (And, I admit, I was really pleased because my roommate really liked it as well. Usually that type of music elicits a "What on earth are you listening to this time?" reaction.)

(Sorry for rambling a bit. I don't think I ever actually woke up this morning.)

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 3:58 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Jude - that looks like so much fun! The costumes are gorgeous. Any recordings from your company?
Oh, and I added your recomendation to the first post ;)

vison - I love ballet too. The pure lines and utter elegance.... watching it is just being sucked into a world of complete beauty.

MoSI don't have a good voice anymore :( It's been 6 years since I was in a choir, and I'm a smoker. My range is down by three notes - I used to be able to hit a high C no problem. Not anymore :( Two notes off the top, and one off the bottom that I can't do anymore.

My parents were always big music buffs, and as soon as I was old enough, they had me singing with as many adult choirs as possible. I loved it. Sang in the high school choir, but didn't have a set voice there. There were no guys in that choir, and I was one of the few who could sing harmony, so I basically sang everything but first soporano. Usually had to sing tenor or alto. We had some great stuff though - especially my junior year. We had an exceptional teacher that year, and were singing up to 8 part music with only a 12 girl choir.

I started singing with the college choir when I was 14, and getting voice lessons at the same time. My first three months of voice lessons were all about that boys solo from Dido and Aeneas. The only reason they had me do it was because they wanted a pure voice like a little boys, and the closest they could get was a 14 year old girl. All of that training and the part I was singing was first soprano. Singing tenor/alto in high school and first soprano in a college choir at the same time made my range pretty big - 3 and 1/2 octaves at my best, but unfortunately, the octave that made up my midrange was so weak and breathy, it wasn't even worth hearing. Strangely enough, my midrange sounds better now :neutral: The other weird thing now is, I can't do an octave jump very well unless it's to the very peak of my range. Anything less and it takes a split second to settled in the note, but if I go for my top note, it hits it right on.

Sorry to ramble like that - I just miss singing. My mom gets the same thing. If she or I don't sing for a while, it hurts to hear a choir. Especially when hearing something I really want to - it's a literal physical pain then. She got to sing "African Sanctus" this past summer with Sir David, and came back from it with a CD for me, and at one point, listening to it, I just started to cry and couldn't stop. I have a piano now, to get some of that feeling out, but it's just not the same. Music is dangerous like that - once it has a hold of you, you're done. You can't ignore it. You can't pretend you don't need it. Once it's in you, you have to find a way to let it out. That's why it's so easy for me to answer the question "If you had to choose, deafness or blindness, what would you choose?". I'd choose to be blind - life without music would be worse than death.

It hurts not to sing.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 4:09 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Jude's links don't work for me today... some stupid browser problem (I need a new computer)

However, Estel, voice can come back and if you miss singing, it can help you to quit smoking (if you wish so, I am not trying to be pushy). I have a bit of a dilemma: My elder son has a crystal clear voice, a real natural juwel. Only he is so shy, he never sings in public. In his solfège lessons, his teacher did not even realise how beautifu his voice was, until one day he thought he was alone in the corridor and started to sing, thinking noone would hear... then she opened the door and ever since tries to get him in a choir. But as soon as he knows someone listens, he only mumbles. *sigh*

The one opera I still have not seen on scene and desperately want to is Mozart's Don Giovanni... Any scene memories?

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 18 Oct , 2005 9:31 pm
Another bright red day

. . .

Last edited by MaidenOfTheShieldarm on Wed 19 Oct , 2005 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 63 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: