The Last Homely Site on the Web

GRUB'S UP!!!1 Teh Cookery Guild

Post Reply   Page 74 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Jump to page « 172 73 74 75 7679 »
aninkling
Post subject: Re: GRUB'S UP!!!1 Teh Cookery Guild
Posted: Thu 04 Feb , 2016 1:40 pm

Oops, sorry.

dl = (I assume) deciliter (1/10 of a liter)
dkg = dekagram (0.01 kg or 10 grams)

My kitchen scale measures in either ounces or grams, but I'm sure there are conversions online. I also wouldn't be surprised if some kitchen site has weights of flour and sugar converted to cups.

btw, I should also add that "knead the ingredients together" doesn't mean to knead the dough like bread, just to mix it all together with your hands.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 15 Jun , 2016 10:04 am
Aspiring to heresy

Plum Jam

Makes about 2 1/2 cups

1 pound plums, halved and stoned
2 cups (450g) warmed sugar

Place the plums in a pan with 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer, then cook gently for 10 minutes until the plums are soft but still intact.

Add the warmed sugar to the fruit and stir over a low heat until all the sugar has dissolved, then turn up the heat and boil rapidly to reach setting point. Skim if necessary.

Pour the jam into hot, sterilized jar and seal.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 03 Mar , 2017 2:12 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Some random good advice from Gordon Ramsay:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 03 Mar , 2017 3:20 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:LMAO: Idiot sandwich!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Mon 12 Jun , 2017 5:15 pm

This was simple, but good, as a vegetable side dish. Amounts are to taste:

Roman fava (broad) beans

tablespoon or two of olive oil
pancetta, cut into small pieces (I used regular ham, not having any pancetta on hand)
fava beans, shelled
shallot or 1/4 small onion, diced

Saute pancetta/ ham and onion/ shallot for a few minutes in olive oil, until onion is limp or lightly browned. Add fava beans, stir and cook for a minute or two. Add water (barely cover beans), put a lid on the pot and simmer for 8-15 minutes, until beans are cooked through. Remove lid, boil off any remaining water if necessary.

Society can and does execute its own mandates, and if it issues wrong mandates instead of right, or any mandates at all in things with it ought not to meddle, it practices a social tyranny more formidable than many kinds of political oppression, since, though not usually upheld by such extreme penalties, it leaves fewer means of escape, penetrating much more deeply into the details of life, and enslaving the soul itself. ― John Stuart Mill

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 12 Sep , 2018 12:51 am
Aspiring to heresy

Anyone here an expert on beef tenderloin steak? I tried grilling some - the flavour was good, but not so much the texture - it came out quite tough.

Shouldn't tenderloin be tender?

Should I stew it instead of grilling it? Or....?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 12 Sep , 2018 10:25 am
of Vinyamar

I'm not an expert Jude, but I find the trick with most steaks is not to cook them too fresh. They need to be aged and hung. I suppose you could use a tenderising hammer. Also, never cook from chilled. Get it to room temp first, preferably in a marinade.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 12 Sep , 2018 11:48 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'll try that. Last time, it went straight from the fridge to the grill.

Do you have a favourite marinade to use?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 13 Sep , 2018 8:03 am
of Vinyamar

I normally use balsamic with some crushed garlic and maybe a splash of BBQ sauce (I prefer Rudys, but any will do really), or if I'm feeling lazy, just the Rudy's. You don't want to smother the flavour if its a really good steak though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 13 Sep , 2018 9:16 am
Aspiring to heresy

Cool, I'll give that a try.

I did end up subscribing to the meat service. I'm about two-thirds the way through my first shipment, and I thought I had lots of time to spare, but I just got an email saying they were preparing my next shipment :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 13 Sep , 2018 10:13 am
of Vinyamar

One other thing. Season your steak or chops as you cook, or just before. Don't season and leave to sit as it will draw the moisture out of the meat to the surface. You want to lock it in. This is why you should sear the meat both sides at the start also.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Thu 13 Sep , 2018 10:18 am
Aspiring to heresy

Aha. Another thing I did wrong.

The question is - did I do anything right? :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 13 Sep , 2018 2:09 pm
of Vinyamar

I'm not a good chef, but I like cooking meat! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Thu 13 Sep , 2018 2:12 pm

The Cooks Illustrated people have an interesting method to cook steaks, where you pre-warm them in the oven. There are directions for medium rare to medium. It works well for us, but we don't like ours rare and I hate any pink in mine (I know, that's sacrilege, but hey, at least I'm unlikely to get E coli O157 or any of its nasty relatives from meat. :) Not the main reason I do it, though - pink and oozing just turns me off.)

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_to ... re-searing

They don't give you access to the actual recipe for free, but a blogger has it:
https://thisweekfordinner.com/cooking-t ... ect-steak/

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 14 Sep , 2018 12:45 am
Aspiring to heresy

You'd enjoy eating with my sister. She shares your horror of any pinkness in her meat, and prefers her steaks cooked to the consistency of a hockey puck :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 14 Sep , 2018 8:36 pm

I prefer reddish pink, with red juices. Actually, as long as the inside is heated up a bit, I'm good. ;)

If the meat was from the loin, Jude, it ought to be fairly tender unless they butchered a really old beast. Or maybe they didn't age it long enough. I've left steaks thawed in the fridge for a week sometimes, when I know the meat wasn't aged quite as long as I like and that helps.

You can also buy a stabby thing.....
https://www.amazon.com/Tenderizer-Stain ... 9EMN099FN5

I've made tougher cuts of meat edible with a gadget like that. I don't like marinades.

You can tell how done a steak is by pushing on it with your finger while cooking. A lot of resistance means it's probably already grey inside. All squishy means it's raw inside. Somewhere in between is shown by varying degrees of firmness. I stopped using a meat thermometer on steaks after I learned that technique.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 14 Sep , 2018 9:43 pm
A green apple painted red

That stabby thing is terrifying. Won't it make tasty juice leak out?

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Sat 15 Sep , 2018 9:47 am
of Vinyamar

I use the fingertip test for calculating rareness. Oh and ++1 to Maria's suggestion of aging the meat in the fridge. Let the meat go brownish, not pink.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/t ... s_of_meat/

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 15 Sep , 2018 5:16 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I used to be freaked out if there was any pink in my steak, but now I'm okay with it. The bacteria would be on the outside of the steak (provided the steak is not spoiled throughout, which you're probably screwed anyway if that's the case). So cooking it to medium well or barely well done works for me. For steak only. Hamburger, no way. That meat is all mixed up, so there can be no pink in my burgers.

Other than that, I have no input, but I'm taking notes. I do know to let the meat rest for while after cooking.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
aninkling
Posted: Sun 16 Sep , 2018 7:54 pm

You're right that most of the bacteria will be on the outside of a solid piece of meat and you'll probably be OK, but, still, it's not something I'd bet on, especially if I was immunosuppressed. For instance, tenderizing methods can translocate microorganisms inside. I assume marinades might be able to carry things along, too, though the acidity might be inhibiting. The trouble with E coli O157 and its relatives is that the dose needed to infect a person is thought to be very low. Nasty little buggers, too. Something like Salmonella needs a much, much higher dose.

That said, I'm with you on the hamburgers. There's surface area everywhere in ground beef and it makes a very nice incubator. That's the one piece of meat I will absolutely send back if it's pink inside. With a steak, I'd probably just eat around the pink bits.

Jude, my steaks could fairly be described as hockey pucks, too. In self defense,* my husband does the grilling.

*In his own self-defense, I mean. He prefers a bit of pink, but will cook mine to near-hockey puck consistency to suit me.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 74 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 172 73 74 75 7679 »
Jump to: