The Last Homely Site on the Web

GRUB'S UP!!!1 Teh Cookery Guild

Post Reply   Page 4 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 679 »
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2005 6:15 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Ber: I used your method for cooking salmon the other night, but I did add dill sauce (which turned out better this time, but still needs work) and some little shrimp for me. We had rice and steamed squash and zuchinni (or courgette) with it. It was a very nice meal and looked good too! Nick enjoyed it. So thanks for the information.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2005 6:24 pm
Milk and kisses

You're welcome! :) By the way, I haven't replied to your kind offer to get me a set of measuring cups, over in Ethel's thread in TORC. You wouldn't mind? :oops: I can get a set here for £4, so please don't bother if the price is similar... it's only worthwhile if the set is much cheaper in the US.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Jan , 2005 6:42 pm

I can go check out the prices for them. :)

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 3:09 pm
Sharpe-sighted

I don't know who it was that sent me the Orange crunchball - Leoba or Ber? - very tasty. Reminded me of the Orange-choccie cookies.
Quote:
Orange-Chocolate cookies

100 g dark chocolate ( ready-rasped, if you can get)
125 g butter
125 g sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 Egg
peel of one orange, rubbed off
(over here I can get orange-flavour, a powder that serves the same purpose)
200 g flour
1 small spoon baking powder

100 g icing sugar
2-3 tablespoonfull orange juice

Rasp the chocolate. Knead the butter with sugar, salt, egg and the orange peel. Add the flour with the baking powder and the chocolate. Then knead rather quick, until the dough is smooth. Form a ball, wrap it in tin foil and leave it in the fridge for at least two hours.

heat up the baking oven to 200 ° Celcius. Roll out the dough on a surface covered with flour. Make it thick ca. 0.5 cm. Then make (with a small glass) cookies of about 5 cm diameter. (optional ;) ) Put them on a baking tin - with some space between them and bake on the middle track for 8 to 10 minutes. Get them out and let them cool down on a grating.

Sieve the icing sugar, mix it with the orange juice and do the icing of the cookies. Let the Icing get dry before storing them away.

Should make around 70 cookies.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 3:30 pm
Milk and kisses

Ohhh it wasn't me, but I'm going to try it! :D

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 02 Feb , 2005 3:41 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

It wasn't me either.

I have got as far as noting down the recipes in here (and in Ethel's TORC thread).

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 03 Feb , 2005 3:57 am
Sharpe-sighted

hmmmm :scratch then it should have been Alandriel.......

Anyway, I liked it very much.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 08 Feb , 2005 3:01 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

ohh..... I must read back over this some more. Seems I've missed a few gems. Just here to tell Jny how good her red pepper soup is.
Total success yesterday. There's not enough left-overs so I'll be making some more today :mrgreen:

... not me either .... ??

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2005 1:05 am

I have a question about fresh herbs: Can you freeze them and then use them later? If so, do you just have to use more of them since I'm sure some of the flavor will be lost?

Cooking good food tonight: Enchirritos, charra beans, and mexican rice (although I'm not cooking the mexican rice from scratch...don't know how. :P ) Right now the place smells of cilantro. Wonderful! :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2005 1:19 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

To freeze fresh herbs --> Gently clean the herbs, blot them dry, and remove leaves from the stalks. You can freeze them whole or chopped, packing into bags (press all the air out) or airtight containers (not as good - tend to get freezer burn).
To freeze chopped herbs to be used in soups or stews, spoon the clean, chopped herbs into an ice cube tray, cover each cube with water, and freeze. You can pop them out of the tray and throw them in a cooking pot as needed :)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Feb , 2005 3:45 am

Thanks Estel!

I'd never heard about freezing them in ice cubes!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 9:55 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I'm a nut for Marron Glacé - if only they were not so ridiculously expensive. Then I found this recipe =:)
worth the trouble :mrgreen:

Crystallized Chestnuts (Marron Glacé)

- 1 kilo chestnuts, shell and membrane removed (thankfully I can get ready prepared frozen chestnuts. So much easier!!)
- 1 kilo sugar
- 650 ml. water (+-2-1/2 US cups)
- 1 vanilla bean (the real thing!)

Remove the shell from the chestnuts. (Tricky! Try finding peeled frozen chestnuts instead if you can)
After you have removed the shells you must remove the membrane. Using a large pan, cover chestnuts with water, bring to the boil and cook 8 minutes or so. Drain and discard the water. Rub between a kitchen cloth until the skins come off.

Using again a large pan, cook the sugar, water and the vanilla bean over low heat, stirring all the while until the sugar dissolves. Allow to gently simmer 5 minutes, then add the chestnuts. Bring to the boil and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and discard the vanilla bean.

Now, cover and allow to steep over night or at least 12 hours. *Bring again to the boil and cook 1 minutes more. Again allow to stand this time for 24 hours*. Repeat again from * to * until all the syrup has been absorbed.

Drying process: preheat oven to 65°C (about 150"F), cover an oven rack or baking rack with parchment paper (or waxed). Distribute the chestnuts evenly and allow to dry out for 2 hours with the oven door propped open a few centimeters or until they are firm.

Cool completely. Store in a container with parchment or waxed paper between the layers and they will keep about 2 weeks...but I think they will be eaten up by then!

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 9:58 pm
Milk and kisses

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh :drool:

I adore chestnuts... roasted, marrons glacés, puréed with vanilla and sugar and mixed with whipped cream and chocolate... mmmmmmmmmmm

If anyone wants to try Alandriel's recipe, and can't find peeled chestnuts, I suggest checking a Chinese supermarket if they have one handy. I regularly go to the one in Birmingham for supplies I can't find anywhere else, and they have packets of frozen peeled chestnuts. :D

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 10:15 pm

These are glazed chestnuts-
What about pureed sweetened marroni- sound like what Ber mentioned- only we get it in a tube? (though probably not as good as homemade... certainly quicker ;) )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 10:18 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

The Britts don't know what marroni is :bawl:

But one can make a decent purree by using frozen chestnutts, boil'em, mash 'em and stick 'em.... er.. well... no. Just add some sugar :mrgreen:

Correction: at least I have never seen chestnut purree in any store here. And believe me I've tried
;)

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 10:24 pm

hhhhmmmm.........

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 10:26 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... what? :halo:

Perhaps I should open a Swiss deli here after all :halo:

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 10:36 pm
Milk and kisses

I've seen tins of chestnut puree in Tesco, Alanriel; the brand is Merchand Gourmet. They also sell tinned peeled chestnuts, but I haven't seen those in quite some time. :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 10:42 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

I've tried the tinned varity (I think an import from France)

Bleurk! Sorry :(

If anything, it would have to be block frozen. And those... nope... haven't seen such a thing anywhere. But...... I'm going to the land of cheese (chocolates no longer ;) ) on Monday :mrgreen: ....
If you like it so much Ber shall I try and get some back for you too??

You'd have to come up to London though for a tasting session. Those things don't travel well with Royal Mail. ;)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 12 Feb , 2005 11:16 pm
Milk and kisses

No worries Monika. :D I can get chestnuts from the wonderful Chinese supermarket in Birmingham... :drool:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 679 »
Jump to: