The Last Homely Site on the Web

GRUB'S UP!!!1 Teh Cookery Guild

Post Reply   Page 3 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 579 »
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 1:38 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Crys, I'm going to try that recipe without the Marshmallows. Because I don't get them over here.

But another thing...
what's

Corn sirup, light (Karo)-
?

I know Karo coffee.....

Leoba, LOL. I'll wait then. Meanwhile I'm collecting some roibush and Toffifee for you :wink:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 1:45 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
Leoba, LOL. I'll wait then. Meanwhile I'm collecting some roibush and Toffifee for you
You know there is more than Leoba living at Shay LeobaDIN ;), I wouldn't mention it but a certain somebody toold me last night that her poor malnurished kitchen-bunny may not be allowed sweets from abroard unless his name is on the packet :Q

I try to make do with scraps.... :bawl:

(but will try to make sure that proper fudge is added to the packet Areanor, it is fab stuff ;) )

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 2:55 pm

areanor wrote:
Crys, I'm going to try that recipe without the Marshmallows. Because I don't get them over here.

But another thing...
what's

Corn sirup, light (Karo)-
?

THis MIGHT be one of the reasons you are not familar with fudge! :neutral:
(lacking one ingredient or the other :roll: .....)

I have not been able to find corn sirup (the closest being glucose sirup on any ingredient package but for the life of me, I haven't found it even in a Reformhaus!) here in Switzerland.... I have mine from the US. It is WONDERFUL for making many types of candies and confections. Karo is the brand name- it comes in light and dark color- it is made presumably from boiling down sweet corn after mashing and extracting the liquid, until it becomes a thick...syrup consistency sirup. Sorry I can't help on that one either...but will continue to hunt for MORE EXCITING AND NOVEL FUDGE recipes that can be created ANYWHERE in the world because the ingredients aren't so 'specific'!
Actually, I thought we had the same problem with lack of marshmellows here, but in the sweet section, you might be able to find them... maybe.. or I could send you some (they are GREAT in S'MORs and Rice Krispy Treats too!):mrgreen:

Or perhaps Din and Leoba have a favorite family recipe to share:D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 7:28 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

http://www.karosyrup.com/index.htm

The only think I've used it in is making Pecan pies. You could probably subsitute any kind of maple syrup for it although it would be sweeter than the Karo. It would be the same consistency though. I know you can get maple syrup in the UK but I don't know about continental Europe.

Crys, what nationality are you?

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 7:53 pm

Maple syrup (Ahornsirup) would have the added disadvantage of the maple taste, but might make an interesting fudge (maple chocolate??)

Eru- Thanks for the link- Q&A says this:
Quote:
Q: Does corn syrup serve any function in recipes besides sweetening?
A: Corn syrup serves different functions in different types of recipes and in products you purchase. It controls sugar crystallization in candy, prevents the formation of ice crystals in frozen desserts, enhances fresh fruit flavor in jams and preserves, sweetens and thickens relishes. Corn syrup balances sweet and sour flavor profiles, and is therefore a key ingredient in many Asian dishes.

Nationality??- Swiss, no, wait, American, no.. uh.... Swiss/English/French/German...... (depends on which generation you are talking about :wink: )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 10:27 pm

LOL...where were you born? I'm guessing Switzerland?

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 1:38 am
The Pirate's Daughter

This recipe is for Alandriel, who loves red peppers. It's a red pepper soup from Julia Child, and I promise you it's absolutely delicious. It's my favorite soup to serve at a fancy dinner party.

Ingredients (sorry - don't know how to convert from cups etc)
2 1/2 to 3 ounces lightly smoked ham or lean salt pork cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 Tb olive oil
2 cups diced onions
2 cups thinly sliced leeks
1 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
4 large cloves of garlic, mashed
1 Tb flour
1 quart hot water
3-4 cups light beef or chicken stock
1/4 cup 'rice' pasta or plain white rice (I use the rice)
Large pinch of saffron threads
1/4 tsp savory
Salt & pepper

Directions
Saute ham or salt pork in oil over moderate heat in 3 quart saucepan until it barely begins to brown. Stir in onions & leeks; cook for 3 to 4 minutes without browning. Sprinkle in the flour, stir for a minute, and remove from heat. Blend in the hot water gradually, stir in the stock, and bring to a simmer. Skim off any surface scum for a minute or two, then stir in the pasta or rice. Add saffron and savory, season to taste with salt & pepper, and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes. Correct seasoning if necessary (salt & pepper).

You can serve just it like that, but I like it pureed. I have a gadget that lets you do the pureeing in the pot.

Julia suggests an egg yolk and oil 'enrichment' before serving, but it's really not necessary in my opinion. If you want to try it though:

Beat 2 egg yolks in a bowl until thick and sticky, then beat in 1/4 olive oil by droplets. It sort of turns into mayonnaise. Dribble in hot soup until you have 2 cups, then stir mixture into the soup and serve immediately.

Living well is the best revenge. --George Herbert

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 2:27 am
Sharpe-sighted

Dindraug wrote:
You know there is more than Leoba living at Shay LeobaDIN ;), I wouldn't mention it but a certain somebody toold me last night that her poor malnurished kitchen-bunny may not be allowed sweets from abroard unless his name is on the packet :Q
hmmmmm...

:scratch

I was quite sure that I put both your names on the parcel...

Though if she is THAT mean to you, I will send a parcel just for Din. In April latest... :wink: :mrgreen:

Eru, thanks for the link. I checked out the recipes there and compared it to some cooking-books I have. I found a recipe for sweet pecannut-pie in my books then. They use braunen Rübensirup (brown beet-syrup ? ). Though I'm not sure where to get THAT. But Crys, I'll give it a try at the Reformhaus, next time I have the time to go shopping. I'll tell you what came out of it.

Some more questions coming up :
Crys...
When you say Vanilla - ist das Vanillezucker oder das Mark einer Vanilleschote?
and unsweetened chocolate???

AND...

Is there such a thing as créme fraîche in the U.K. / U.S.?
For then I'd translate a truffles recipe...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 6:57 am

areanor wrote:
Crys...
When you say Vanilla - ist das Vanillezucker oder das Mark einer Vanilleschote?
Do you not have vanilla extract? It's in a liquid form. This page could help you. http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-extracts.html
Quote:
and unsweetened chocolate???
We call it baking chocolate here. It's not chocolate you'd want to eat on it's own. http://www.joyofbaking.com/unsweetenedchocolate.html
Quote:
Is there such a thing as créme fraîche in the U.K. / U.S.?
I think it's the same thing as whipping cream or very close to it.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 9:56 am
Milk and kisses

No, crème fraîche is a type of "cultured" (that sounds like it reads a lot, LOL :LMAO: ) cream - a bit like soured cream or yogurt. It's lighter than soured cream but more fatty than yogurt, hence ideal for cooking. You can get a good approximation by mixing whipping cream with natural yogurt. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 9:57 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Ethel Thank you! Copying that into my 'standby recipie book' :mrgreen: Sounds really great and yes, I can see from the description that I'd puree the whole thing too. I'll have to do it minus the ham/salt pork though - can't deal with pork :wink:

Areanor/Eruname créme fraîche ... If I'm not mistaken there's a slight difference (although probably for a recipie it might not make that much difference). Créme fraîche - technically is cheese. And no, I haven't seen a non-flavoured version available in the UK (they make them in 'yoghurt style' e.g. banana, strawberry etc.)
I would try substituting single cream for it.

[edit/add] That's also a very good suggestion Ber :mrgreen:

Substituting maple syrup for Karo :mrgreen: that sounds delicious. I love (real!!) maple syrup. :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 10:06 am
Milk and kisses

Alandriel - flavoured crème fraîche?? :Q You're thinking of "fromage frais" - which IS cheese, comes in banana, strawberry etc. flavours, but also plain (natural). Crème fraîche is only found plain, and it's near the cream, double cream, soured cream and clotted cream pots in the refrigerated section of the supermarket (but not by the yogurts). I use it a lot to make sauces for fish...

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 10:20 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

:doh: I *was* thinking frommage frais :oops:

point's at self :funny:

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 10:22 am
Milk and kisses

Which is, btw, delicious eaten plain with just a little sugar. :)

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 3:17 pm

Okay.... let me clear up a few things.... (from my WIDELY VAST EXPERIENCE AT SUBSTITUTIONS from living in various different countries and having to do with what is available... :P :roll: )

Areanor- Vanilla in the American recipes usually calls for vanilla extract, but not the kind found in Germany Vanillearome- much too concentrated that- so substitute the SAME amount of Vanille-Zucker, and use the Bourbon-Vanille Zucker if you have it because it is a bit stronger.

Question Two- yes, no ye... well Ber had the closest answer- Créme Fraîche is or rather can be substituted with sour cream, as it is a bit soured. If that doesn't seem to pass with the recipe (something sour-ish), then my suggestion would be use either heavy whipping cream- which is NOT as thick, or mascarpone (a nice Italian cream cheese used in desserts and I am sure other dishes :wink: ). Perhaps the mascarpone needs to be thinned a bit with cream so it is more runny consistency.

Question Three- Unsweetened chocolate- well now here is the 3rd reason you must fret about making fudge!!! :bawl: I have NOT found the equivalent apart from using a substitution of powdered unsweetened cocoa and vegetable shortening/Pflanzenfett... IE: Becel works best. But do NOT do this for this recipe- the fat might congeal, and it wouldn't be pretty. :( This is what I did. What we DO have is Baking Chocolate (though not the same as in the US)- it is dark or zartbitter chocolate- less sweet than milk chocolate. Use the same amount, and decrease the amount of sugar in the recipe by one to two tablespoons.
And.. yes, the Reformhaus might have braun Rueben-sirup as well, it is worth a try and might be a nice substitute for the corn sirup.

Eru- Question 1 - USA, Question 2- most vanilla comes here (Switzerland/Germany...mainland Europe???) in the form of a flavored sugar, can be used in equivalent amounts as the extract used typically in North America. There is also Vanilla -aroma, which is liquid but far more potent than an alcohol based extract- it is usually dosed in drops.
Regarding Créme Fraîche and Baking Chocolate- see above :wink:

Ethel- that recipe looks yummy, I'll have to try it As for the cups/ metric conversion- on page 2 there are some links to calculate the conversions- and or the standard 1 cup = 250 ml :D

Alandriel- you wouldn't want to know what I used in substitution for corn syrup once when I was in the Middle east, when I couldn't find any other equivalent......:oops: :doh: :sick:

and now....after I consult my substitutions:

unsweetened chocolate= 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa and 1 Tablespoon vegetable shortening.

Home-made Vanilla Extract
1 liter (4 cups) vodka
3 vanilla beans /Vanilleschote

Place vodka in a nice bottle, press vanilla beans with flat side of a knife- slit them open lengthwise and scrape the grains loose. Add the beans and their content to the bottle. Cork, and place in a dark cool place. Shake every 2 weeks. In 3 months you will have a nice extract- the longer you wait, the richer the flavor. Use a per usual in recipes (substitute for Vanillezucker)

(the purpose of the nice bottle is in case you want to give this as a nice Christmas gift- haha!!! Think of it! Done with your gift 3 months ahead of time, with only a bit of shaking and perhaps a final testing for aroma :mrgreen: *hick* :drunk: )

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ethel
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 22 Jan , 2005 3:45 pm
The Pirate's Daughter

Alandriel wrote:
Ethel Thank you! Copying that into my 'standby recipie book' :mrgreen: Sounds really great and yes, I can see from the description that I'd puree the whole thing too. I'll have to do it minus the ham/salt pork though - can't deal with pork :wink:
I've made it without the pork before and it's good that way too. Plenty of flavor - excuse me, flavour - from the peppers, onions, garlic and saffron. And it's very pretty if you serve it with chopped chives on the top. :)

Living well is the best revenge. --George Herbert

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 23 Jan , 2005 2:58 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I should have looked in here since ages :oops: .

Sorry... very busy... I'll read up a few things, though... just one question about fudges: are they very different from regular caramel toffees... just because I make regular caramel toffees (or candies) and they have ingredients that you get worldwide.

But my cooking English is a disaster...

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 23 Jan , 2005 10:39 pm
Sharpe-sighted

Nin, just like mine. I keep asking and asking until I get a recipe up.. :roll:

Okay, here's one. I tried it yesterday and it's oh so yummy...
As Ber suggested, best thing to substitute the Crème fraîche with would be sour creme mixed with a bit yoghurt. the Crème fraîche has 30 % fat, by the way....

Crème Fraîche

okay, here we go:
Quote:
Baileys-balls

100 g white chocolate bar ( I took Milka, very good)
100 g milk chocolate (here Milka, too, who can get it)
40 g butter - not right from the fridge, so it's rather soft
125 g crème fraîche
40 g icing sugar
75 ml Baileys (I use Carolans - much smoother)
20 biscuit sticks (Löffelbiskuits, not sure about translation here)

Melt the choccie in a water bath and stir it until it is creamy. Let it cool a bit, until it's lukewarm.

Meanwhile crumble the biscuit sticks.

Mix the melted choccie with the soft butter, the icing sugar and the Baileys/Carolans. Stir it with the Crème fraîche and add the crumbled biscuit.

Put it in the fridge for at least one hour. After that the paste is rather hard and you can form small ball. Just take a teaspoonfull and roll it between your palms. You'll get about 40 balls.

You can roll them in coconut rasp or cacao powder or anything else. I prefer them plain.

Be sure to keep them in the fridge. But they won't last long anyway.
I'm not sure whether I translated Löffelbiskuit right.....

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2005 2:33 pm
Milk and kisses

I've edited in all the right amounts and directions for the Billionaire's Shortbread in page 1. :)

Areanor... that sounds delicious! :Q Must... try...

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 26 Jan , 2005 11:25 pm
Sharpe-sighted

It is delicious.
I made them on Saturday. Have eaten all of them. :oops: Will be fat soon.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 579 »
Jump to: