The Last Homely Site on the Web

GRUB'S UP!!!1 Teh Cookery Guild

Post Reply   Page 2 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 579 »
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 19 Jan , 2005 1:09 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

hehehe - great sucess Eru and to finally (sorry!) answer your question about oven temperatures

Medium oven = approx. 180-200C / 356-392F
Hot oven (grill) = approx 220-240C / 428-464F

Depends a bit on your oven (esp. if you have a fan-assisted one. Then I'd rahter go for the 'lower' temperatures')

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 4:39 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I have no idea what a fan-assisted oven is. I thought an oven was just an oven.

Thank you for those conversions. I'm sorry I bothered you earlier about the temp for your chicken recipe but since you hadn't specified anything about the temp at all, I wanted to get a general idea.

So I tried it tonight. It tasted good (used white zinfandel for the wine though...seemed okay) but I'm not sure if it turned out right. I used less than a glass of wine, but there was still A LOT of liquid left after cooking...is it supposed to be like that? I would have thought it would have cooked off, but it didn't.

I did add some things, like oregano to the tomato sauce and some rosemary and garlic salt to the chicken.

I did like how this method made the chicken really tender. I'll use it again in the future definately (hopefully modified with some of your advice ;) )

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 2:28 pm

Eruname wrote:
I have no idea what a fan-assisted oven is. I thought an oven was just an oven.

That would be a 'convection' oven (Umluft in Deutsch-:wink: ) in which case you would bake something at 20° C or....hhhmmmm :scratch (pulls out the calculator.....*tap, tap, tap.....) or 68° F LESS than what you normally bake it... or rather...consult your oven manuel if you happen to have a convection oven anyway... it tends to even out the heat dispersion and allows you to bake on different shelf levels at the same time- evenly of course.

What is does NOT do very properly is bake American recipe cookies which have been tried in a standard oven... for this much experimentation must ensue... I know, I have first hand, on hand, and not-quite done properly Christmas cookie experience of this! :Q

And if you need conversions from metric to standard US cups and Lbs, or handy Temp conversions from °C to °F or visa-versa.....

Online Metric Converter
Conversion of Units
Metric Conversion Calculator
:mrgreen:

Oh.. and an after thought- on how to make a chicken real tender...

You must spend time with it! Sing to it, read to it.. share a glass of your finest and a nice candlelight dinner with it. Take it for walks and pick it up to hold under your umbrella in the rain--- time is the important factor, and if you happen to be there when it hatches.. you may soon find it cosying up to you, snuggling under your arm, following your every footsteps... and giving you a satisfied ..*bbrrkggaaaawhhhhk
The only problem is... no matter how much you try, it still might be a bit tough, and slightly painful when it gives you a loving peck on the cheek :eh:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 2:44 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: Crys Only you can make me chuckle like that :hug:

Glad to hear the recipie was a success Eru. If the 'sauce' is still a bit too liquidy for your taste then just boil it a bit more before pouring until it has the consistency you like. After all, it's the taste of the wine and not the alcohol content you're after in this kind of recipie :wink:

Does anyone have a good recipie for making fudge? Cream-fudge??
I really would like to try that one day

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 3:07 pm

yes... I do, (glad I could help the facial muscles.... :wink: :LMAO: )

Fannie May Fudge- or what is known as the $500 Fudge Recipe- with the typical story of someone writing into a famous company for the Recipe of one of their specialties (this case being Fannie May- a Confection chainstore in the US). The recipe arrived along with a bill for $500- which HAD to be paid. Okay.. so the irrate person then decided to get the upper hand and published the recipe in the local newspaper- so the company could no longer profit from such unethical practices- the newspaper was in my roommate's home town- she got the recipe, and now I have it!

Without Further Ado-

Fannie May $500 Fudge

2 sticks of butter (1/2 lb)
1 cup milk
4 cups sugar
13 oz. Hershey’s bar (milk chocolate bar)
12 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 oz. Baker’s chocolate (unsweetened chocolate) softened or shaved
(esp. in the morning as razor stubble will destroy the fine texture) :Q
25 large or 100 small marshmallows
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Melt butter- add sugar and milk, heat til warm.
Add Marshmellows and cook to boiling point
Stirring constantly (this takes time…usually if you
Have a candy thermometer- it should be cooked to
The softball stage- 236°F or 114°C or when dropped from a clean
Teaspoon into cold water… a soft ‘ball’ that holds it’s shape forms.
(When taken out of the water it is still squishy though)
Remove from heat, add chocolate. Stir until blended and fudge loses it’s gloss.
Add nuts. Pour in a pan bigger than 9in. x 13in. lightly oiled. (standard rectangle cake pan- use
Rather, a 10 x 15 in. pan) .

Now.. there are 2 schools of thought- the pourers and the kneaders- Pouring the fudge gives it an uneven but ‘pretty’ and natural surface- one must have practice to pour- too soon and the fudge can be grainy, too late and it won’t pour but rather ‘plop’ onto your pan, and then you end up pushing it out to the edge.
Kneading the fudge makes it smoother- but do not knead it too long or it will become soft. You can press or roll it into a uniform thickness or till the surface is smooth. If glaze is desired, spread cream or milk lightly over the surface. Fudge made this way is finer in texture and creamier than the poured type and will keep longer.
The recipe above makes a ton of fudge- great to give away- but you can divide it easily enough for your own needs.

Any questions???

:wink:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 6:13 pm

Ooooooh...must try out the fudge recipe some time! :mrgreen:

Alandriel, I think I might reduce the amount of wine next time to see how it turns out. I did simmer it for at least 5 minutes (probably more). Next time I should try boiling it at a higher temp and see if that helps.

crys, well I have no idea what kind of oven I have. All recipes here have just one temperature to use so it makes me think there's some kind of standard American oven. I don't know. :scratch: I used the same temp and times Alandriel uses to cook the chicken and it seemed to work fine.

LOL about the chicken! :)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 7:37 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Fudge is made with marshmellows :Q That's news to me!! :scratch

oh my oh my ... I hate marshmellows! With a vengeance!!! :Q

The recipie sounds great Crys- but would it work minus the marshmellows?
Is there marshmellow-free fudge? :help: And I just must say I love the way you said 'the pourers' and 'the kneaders' :LMAO:

Eru: just simmer/reduce it a bit longer next time - trust me on this (unless you've used like 1/2 bottle :Q :wink:)

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 7:40 pm

I only used about 5 ounces or half a cup, which is definately a lot less than a glass of wine.

Maybe I just suck at cooking. :P

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 7:47 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Nah ! :P Besides.. now you have a good excuse to get good at it :wink:

Have a glass of wine... then cook with another glass.. and pour the rest for later :wink: Forget I said 'cheap cooking wine' :mrgreen:

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 8:06 pm
Tricksy Elf!

Quote:
Fannie May $500 Fudge
:suspicious: :drool:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 8:13 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

Orc Toes..

Chop off toes.
Wait til they stop wiggling
Throw in a pan with some butter and cook
Serve with Ranch dipping sauce.

Enjoy...

in other words.. its a good thing hobbit can cook... :Q

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 8:17 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Finger snacks?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
gimli_axe_wielder
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 8:21 pm
The easily amuse-OH SHINY!

I suppose you could use fingers too sure....

You might also try a nice beer batter for them...

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2005 8:38 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

They doesn't taste very nice, does they, precious.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 12:52 am
Sharpe-sighted

preciousss, what is Fudge???? never heard, never tasted. Is there a german/swiss equivalent?
Eru wrote:
I tried some flour to thicken it up but it turned out a bit lumpy...ah well.
Just a thing... did you put the flour into the sauce? For there is a nice little thinge from Tupperware called Snowy-white over here.. (see, I even took it upon me to make a pic of it with my new digi cam :mrgreen: )
I use it like this: I put some flour into it, then add some sour cream, close it and then shake it vigorously. (once I tried it with warm sauce instead of cold sour cream and it nearly exploded :Q - not exploded, but the thing popped open and everything was spilled )
If you choose the right amount of flour and cream, you'll get a nice smooth liquid you can add to your sauce to thicken it without getting lumps. Next time I use it, I will pay attention to the amounts of flour I'm putting into it and take notes.. :wink:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 9:45 am

Gimli......presumably you mean the ork stops wiggling... unless they have some special nerve endings in their toes... :scratch (which could possibly explain how they can climb head down from pillars like cockroaches)... and then I assume you would have meant the cave orks or goblins- Ah yes.. I see, more protien in the meal then!! Verry wise of you :P

Lidless
- where's the recipe??? :nono: - cough it up!!! :evil: :wink:

Areanor- Fudge I have not found the Swiss/German equivalent- I brought some to our family Christmas gathering and it was described as 'toffee' because of the consistency- but in English- Toffee is either a firmer caramel, or brittle. Hard for me to say- but the best bet is for you to try the recipe and let me know....It has the consistency of a 'german' caramel- but not grainy/sugary and is chocolate- not just caramalized sugar.

Eru- another tried and true method of adding flour to your sauce without getting lumps- (or cornstarch works for that matter- Epifin for the Germans)- 1-2 Tbsp of flour in a cup, add some of the liquid from your sauce- it can be hot, if there is no liquid add warm water or milk if you want a creamier sauce- mix it until the flour is either in a thick paste or add more fluid to make it slightly thinner so it will blend well with the rest of the sauce- then add it to the rest of the sauce! No lumps! :mrgreen:

Alandriel- WHAT EVER YOU DO, DON'T ATTEMPT THIS RECIPE WITHOUT THE MARSHMELLOWS! :Q then I'd have to change the title to Fannie May $200 Fudge :neutral:
The reason for this is that the marshmellows are the 'binding' factor- they make a nice glue, and if you try to think of them as, well.. little puffs of, well... glue..instead of 'marshmellow'...(*shiver :sick: ).... you will be able to overcome your... uh... disinclination. On the other hand... Fudge has a seemingly long and antiquated history, one that dates back to Pre-MarshM times, and therefore you are most fortunate because in some dusty tome lies a recipe JUSSST FOR YOU!!!! (*of course, I must go and dig out said 'tome' and write it up- which I will do for you at no cost because I consider you a friend..... :hug: )

*recipe...forthcoming....*dust, dust, dust...cough, whheeezzzeee*

Old Fashioned (and w/o Marshmellows I might add!) Chocolate Fudge

Unsweetened chocolate 2 ½ oz.
Sugar 2 ½ cups
Salt ¼ teaspoon
Milk or light cream, 1 cup
Corn sirup, light (Karo)- 2 Tablespoons
Butter 2 ½ Tablespoons
Vanilla 1 teaspoon
(1 cup = 250 ml)

Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in the saucepan with sugar, salt, milk and corn sirup
Place over low heat and stir constantly until the mixture begins to boil. Cook to 236°F (114° C)- soft ball stage, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
Remove from heat, add butter, wipe pouring edge of pan (this is done to prevent your poured fudge from crystallizing), and pour into a clean pan (loaf pan) or onto a marble slab. Cool to 110°F (44°C) lukewarm without stirring.
Add vanilla and beat according to the directions for the pouring method or kneading method. Makes about 1 ½ pounds. (far less than the other recipe… but best to start out small )

How you can beat it after pouring it into a pan??? Or on a marble slab??? :scratch Perhaps a broom, or stick might work well… but hang draping on your cupboards and walls to prevent staining…. Oh, and a raincoat might not be a bad idea either. :P

Last edited by crystal_seed on Fri 21 Jan , 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 10:29 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Areanor I've heard fudge compared to brownies somewhat ... now of course that came from a non-purist :wink:

Eru: Crys.... the godess of the hearth speaks true :D Never add flour/cornstart direcly. Make a seperate 'solution' for it first, then pour that. Guaranteed you'll get no lumps... (stirr! stirr!! :wink:)

CrysLooking forward to it. And I would not mind any toffee recepie either (just so long as no marshmellows are involved) :wink:

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 10:51 am

Alandriel wrote:
Areanor I've heard fudge compared to brownies somewhat ...
:Q :Q :Q ------------ blasphemy!!!! Do you know how Brownies came to be?.... They were chocolate cake once, taken by the Dark Powers, tortured and mutilated, a ruined and terrible form of life....but now ... perfected.....
Quote:
Crys.... the godess of the hearth....
:Q

*ppppstt- you forgot- 'and Mistress of the Lost and subsequently Cold cup of Coffee'....

:wink:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 11:28 am

Crys :LMAO:

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 21 Jan , 2005 11:41 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Areanor wrote:
preciousss, what is Fudge???? never heard, never tasted. Is there a german/swiss equivalent?
I shall have to educate you in the next bundle then. ;)

Where home-made fudge is concerned, it's a tradition in our family that if you want to make fudge, you make toffee and it turns out fudge-like and vice-versa to end up with toffee. :P

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 79  [ 1563 posts ]
Return to “Made in Dale: Hobbies and Entertainment” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 579 »
Jump to: